Acer Laptop users (Intel).

Detosx

572 posts in this topic

Re the boot problem, and a solution, I must give credit to redjaru who private messaged me:-

-install Chameleon Bootloader 2.0RC1

-add this into your new com.apple.boot.plist that has been created by Chameleon Bootloader 2.0RC1 in your /extra folder:

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

I tried adding that but I also went back to the Chameleon installer and this time selected, from Options, EHCIaccuire and UHCIreset. I later, as a test, removed the USBBusFix lines and still have a 100% bootup success rate using the 4720z. For all I know though, despite deleting cache and mkext, the initial insertion of USBBusFix may have been what did the trick. I would need a clean install to find out for sure. Perhaps someone could try that, if they find themselves at that stage, and report back here. Is UHCIreset the solution, re USB?

Whatever the case, if installer options don't work for you, try redjaru's suggestion. I am glad he messaged me. ;)

jasballz thread may be a help to Acer Aspire 4720z users:- http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1147552 ,especially with regard to AR5006EG / AR5007EG.

Yes, UHCIreset=Yes fixes booting. USBBusFix=Yes also helps, but why fixing something that is working in the first place (there is no need for EHCIacquire=Yes :( )

my acer is

ACER 5930g

Chip: Intel P45 (fsb1066) / Vga: nV 9600M GT 512Mb

Aud: ALC888st / Eth: Marvell 88e8071 / Wifi REPLACED Broadcom / BT

Hello

I've just printed that topic.. is very long and today i'll read it.

I'm happy with it but I have some consideration to tell/ask/propose

Recently I saw about Dell bios mod.. my think is about special buttons.. Acer have the 'e' empowering technology and some other.. then i'm asking why in lunix community and mac is so difficult to manage those buttons.

in other topic in that forum someone have changed the bios of the dell.. dell search for a small partition fat32 at the beginning of the hard disk.. then he mod the bios so if you pressa special button you boot directly into win or mac.. is a nice application.. you see?

this is my questions.. do you agree with me?

• 2 weeks later...

I am using Chameleon 2 on both my 5620 and 4720z and wonder if anyone has managed to get sound working from Chameleon's Extra/Extensions folder, as opposed to from System/Library/Extensions?

Bump!

As I understand it, you need a LegacyHDAcontroller and a LegacyHDAPlatform kext in your Extra/Extensions folder to get it to work, along with a modified HDAenabler kext. If anyone has tackled the above and won, it would be good to hear from you as a lot of people seem to be stumped on this one.

Sorry if this is in the worng place but i was wondering if anyone has had success with osx86 on this machine.

Acer Aspire 4730z 14.1

Memory: 2Gb

Processor Type and Speed: Intel PDC 2.16Ghz

DVD+RW: Supermulti

Video/Graphics Card: Integrated

Speakers: Integrated

Sound Card: Integrated

Ethernet: 10/100

Pointing Device Type: Touchpad

USB Ports: 2

AC Adapter/Power Cord

O/S Installed: None

Display Size (Inches Diagonal): 14.1"

Hard Drive Capacity: 250gb

Wireless Networking: 802.11b/g

Sorry if this is in the worng place but i was wondering if anyone has had success with osx86 on this machine.

Acer Aspire 4730z 14.1

Memory: 2Gb

Processor Type and Speed: Intel PDC 2.16Ghz

DVD+RW: Supermulti

Video/Graphics Card: Integrated

Speakers: Integrated

Sound Card: Integrated

Ethernet: 10/100

Pointing Device Type: Touchpad

USB Ports: 2

AC Adapter/Power Cord

O/S Installed: None

Display Size (Inches Diagonal): 14.1"

Hard Drive Capacity: 250gb

Wireless Networking: 802.11b/g

Not the wrong place but the wrong graphics chip, I'm afraid. The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M isn't supported at this time. There's nothing wrong with that graphics chip, though, it's speedy and up-to-date, if not great for games, and you have a nice laptop. You could do worse than putting Windows 7 Release Candidate on it. I tri-boot. It is free from Microsoft for the next ten months and easy to customize to your liking. Not forgetting Apple OS X's cousin, Linux. The new Ubuntu looks good and the smart looking Mandriva 2009 KDE4 looks to support multimedia playback out-of-the-box.

• 2 weeks later...
I have an Aspire 5720 and it runs fine, no overheating at all. Having said that, mine is a step down from yours and not as powerful.

The only thing that bugs me is the fact that there is no support for any kind of built in networking for it.

EFI is another issue. It functions with EFI but cant use the vanilla kernel, as you cant enable NX support in the 'bios' (Insyde's EFI).

Hi there!

Please can u tell how did u install osx86? i can´t get it work on my 5720, thanks a lot

About the problem of wake with muted sound in speakers and very low volume in headphones, i fixed it:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1175739

Well done! B)

Since moving to Chameleon V2 I can't get hibernate to work. It appears to be a known problem. Perhaps I have to go back to the old version.

Hi there!

Please can u tell how did u install osx86? i can´t get it work on my 5720, thanks a lot

Assuming you are using the IPC installer and your 5720z uses a GMA X3100 graphics chip, don't select the installer's GMA X3100 graphics driver. Acer's employing that chip usually work with the default; don't select a graphics driver during install.

That might not be your problem, I am speculating. We would need more details.

Hi quinielascom, I might have already asked you this but do you use Extra/Extensions or S/L/E? I am going nuts trying to figure out who to get sound to work from the Extra/Extensions folder.

Interesting. I had a fully functional hibernate until I moved to V2 of Chameleon. I read on the Chameleon forum that it was a known issue in V2 and being worked on.

oh, wait do you use hibernation instead of sleep (aka standby) ? because i never tried hibernation state in OS X, always use sleep.

And i use S/L/E, only the bcm5787 kext is in other folder for that it not load at startup.

Ah, I want to use Extra/Extensions. I'm sure it's possible but would need a LegacyHDAController.kext pre-patched for the ALC268 chipset and the same for a LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext and HDAEnabler.kext. I just can't find anyone who is running this, which seems odd as the ALC268 is used by a huge number of laptops and Chameleon V2's take up has been huge, too. If you or anyone else comes across a link for someone who is running sound that way, I would thrilled to hear about it!

Hi guys, I'm pretty new here.

I've got a question. I'm about to buy Acer Aspire 5737 with Intel C2D T6400 and NVIDIA Geforce 9400m graphic card - presumably the same as the one in the new macbooks. I guess it should work flawlessly, speaking of graphical support, am I right?

• 2 weeks later...

If you can, buy a new or used MacBook, they are gorgeous in so many ways that a hack can never be. I don't know the cost of the model you mention but you have to additionally factor in the cost of Leopard and iLife and then factor in how much time, as in time-is-money, you want to invest in the project. It could be considerable! Time is precious. Keep in mind you would be voiding your warranty and hardware failure, though not cool to admit to, here, is not unknown. My old HP laptop overheated and died because it hadn't fully shutdown; I didn't know that and put it into a carry case that had no ventilation. An expensive paperweight.

The next question would be, it being over a week since your post, did you already buy it? If so, my point above is perhaps moot if you can't return it. Your best bet, then, before purchasing the software, would be to do a forum search or google search for your latpop using its model number and insanelymac as search terms. The best shortcut, then, is to private message that person who is using the same hardware and ask what they did.

Not the wrong place but the wrong graphics chip, I'm afraid. The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M isn't supported at this time. There's nothing wrong with that graphics chip, though, it's speedy and up-to-date, if not great for games, and you have a nice laptop. You could do worse than putting Windows 7 Release Candidate on it. I tri-boot. It is free from Microsoft for the next ten months and easy to customize to your liking. Not forgetting Apple OS X's cousin, Linux. The new Ubuntu looks good and the smart looking Mandriva 2009 KDE4 looks to support multimedia playback out-of-the-box.

Hi since you mentioned about wrong hardware attached in the machine I would like to ask you gurus is there a problem with mine? :)

here are the specs

Hi Guys

Has anyone successfully installed iPC on an Acer Aspire 4736G? If not can you give out suggestions which distribution to use as I will try it and post the result. Thanks

Setup are as follows:

Processor: Core 2 Duo : P8600 2.4GHz

Motherboard Chipset: Intel PM45

RAM: 2048 MB

Hard drive: 320 GB

Optical drive: DVD Super Multi writer

Graphics hardware: Nvidia GeForce G105M

Wireless LAN: 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n

Webcam: Acer Crystal Eye

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172273

THanks

If you get this working, and because I am not familiar with the hardware, one useful download is Temperature Monitor. You might want to check your temperatures before going any further and post them here.

I'm not sure about that motherboard chipset. Anyone? The Nvidia GeForce G105M, though, is, I think I am right in saying, a higher clocked GeForce 9300M but I don't know if it will work or not. If there is an option for 9300M in the IPC installer, you might try that. If there is, see if it has worked properly, go up to the Apple symbol top left, click on it, click on About this Mac, click on More info, click on Graphic dislplays and find out if Quartz Extreme and Core Image are working. Without those, the project probably isn't worth doing. You don't say what the sound chip is? If you are unable to find out online, you need to run a program like Everest under windows and it should tell you what the sound chip is, then you can search for it in the forum.

Hey all. its been a LONG while since i've delved into the osx86 arena with installing Tiger/Leopard on my Dell Dimension 1100. Anyways i was gonna buy a macbook pro to use for my business, but my startup capital is limited so i'm afraid i'll have to settle for an Acer Aspire AS8930-6442. I shouln't say settle cause its an awesome spec laptop, but i so wanted a macbook pro. Anyways want to know if anyone's installed Leopard on a similar spec laptop.

Aspire AS8930-6442

Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2.0Ghz 800mhz FSB 2MB L2 Cache

Intel PM45 Chipset

500GB HDD SATA

4GB DDR3 1066

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 1GB dedicated

Intel Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n

Built-in DVD Super Multi

Built-in Crystal Eye Webcam and Microphone

1 x Expresscard Type 54

Card Reader

4 USB Ports

1 eSATA

i've never installed a osx86 distro on a laptop before so i gotta do some research beforehand, but any upfront advice much appreciated.

If somebody have a Acer 4320/4720 may be this interesting:

My Acer Aspire 4320 (same specs that 4720) works in 10.5.7 very fine, almost devices are working, including; X3100 with QE/CI, Wireless Broadcom BCM4311, Card Reader*, Audio ALC268*, Ethernet Broadcom BCM5787M**, HDD Sata, DVD+/-RW, USB 2.0, Firewire, Bluetooth, Battery Detected, Power Management functions shutdown, restart, and sleep.

Only Modem its not working, but in those days who need a modem ?

My Kext List:

+AppleAPIC.kext (stock from 10.5.4)

+AppleACPIPlatform.kext (stock 10.5.2)

+IOPCIFamily.kext 2.4.1

The 3 above kext all three should be installed together in other way the Leopard no boot.

+AppleACPIPowerSource.kext (is a plugin of AppleACPIPlatform.kext but i modify version to 1.2.1 in info.plist)

+IOPCIFamily.kext 2.4.1 (Chun-Nan)

+AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext (Beta for 10.5.6?)

+AppleBCM5787MEthernet.kext (this kext is hide in / because in /System/Library/Extensions load auto and kill sleep, i load it with a script in menu bar only when i need connect to wired network)

+AppleSMBIOS.kext (AnV Version 28)

+PowerManagement.bundle (Version 137 patched)

+AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext (I use IO80211Family.kext 10.5.7 stock but the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext is from 10.5.2 stock)

+dsdt.aml

+GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext (SuperHai, need it for speedstep)

Removed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (because i use the GenericCPUPowerManagement of Superhai)

Notes:

* Some features aren't available, but main function is working.

** Need some aditional steps (scripts for load and for set in promisc mode, change mac).

Download drivers:

Drivers_10.5.7a.zip and Drivers_10.5.7b.zip

Thanks very much quinielascom for your informative post.

With your help, I was able to get "card reader""sound" working, thanks again.

However, I can't get OSX-ideneb 10.5.6 to recognize dvd drive(HL-DT-ST dvdram gsa-t20n ata device), ethernet(broadcom netlink gigabit)-even though OSX notices it's there-, or wifi(intel pro/wireles 3945bg).

In case you'd want to know my spec:

CPU; intel c2d t5450 1.66Ghz

RAM: 4GB ddr2-667Mhz

VGA: inel GMAX 3100

Thanks

J.C from Thailand

Hey all. its been a LONG while since i've delved into the osx86 arena with installing Tiger/Leopard on my Dell Dimension 1100. Anyways i was gonna buy a macbook pro to use for my business, but my startup capital is limited so i'm afraid i'll have to settle for an Acer Aspire AS8930-6442. I shouln't say settle cause its an awesome spec laptop, but i so wanted a macbook pro. Anyways want to know if anyone's installed Leopard on a similar spec laptop.

Aspire AS8930-6442

Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2.0Ghz 800mhz FSB 2MB L2 Cache

Intel PM45 Chipset

500GB HDD SATA

4GB DDR3 1066

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 1GB dedicated

Intel Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n

Built-in DVD Super Multi

Built-in Crystal Eye Webcam and Microphone

1 x Expresscard Type 54

Card Reader

4 USB Ports

1 eSATA

i've never installed a osx86 distro on a laptop before so i gotta do some research beforehand, but any upfront advice much appreciated.

What a person does in the privacy of their own home for their own personal use if they've purchased the software, it is hard for a company to take issue with, but you can't use a hackintosh in a business to make money and I have seen questions like this deleted.

Does it have to be a Pro model? It's hard to compare a hack with the real thing; Hackintosh's have poor battery life, battery life being one of the biggest determining factors in purchasing a laptop, whereas a MacBook will give you seven hours! The 9400 graphics is no slouch. Apple's also hold a decent resell value ratio. If Apple's zero percent financing for 12 months doesn't tempt you, you could also look at reconditioned units, they have a warranty and are usually perfectly fine. Also, I think a business client would be more impressed to see you using the real thing.

Hey everyone:)

anyone here with experience on the aspire 4935?

bought it today but forum search didn't like me i think....

hardware:

t6400 2x2ghz

nvidia gforce 9300m gs 512m

3gb ram ddr2

anyone with the same one who can give me suggestions?:)

wicked.

An update on my bootup problems with my Acer 4720z. People who have read through this thread may recall that I was having problems, problems that other 4720z users were having, regarding booting up to the desktop reliably; sometimes it would work, other times you would get to the gray apple on white boot screen but the cog wouldn't even appear. Having installed the most recent bios update from Acer (Europe; they don't have it on the American site and I don't know why; also, be aware that you will have to install XP on your acer in order to install the bios update, don't do so while on battery) I was sorely dissapointed to find it had made no difference to my booting up success rate, which was generally one in three bootups didn't work, sometimes up to five times in a row it wouldn't bootup first time... great way to wear out the power on button. Dissapointed.

What I subsequently found is if you go into bios and load the default settings, something that I assumed updating the bios would do in and of itself, your boot success rate improves greatly. So far I have booted ten times in a row. Once I have done so twenty times, I will edit this post!

Hi Bam, have a read through the thread. I think most of your questions are answered there. It's all bad news on the Atheros AR5007EG; you'll have to change it. If you can't find the answers here, use google. I do suggest you and others read the whole thread, though, especially regarding the shutdown problem when installing a sound solution; it killed one of my laptops, alas.

Ultimately I do advise anyone stopping by here to seriously consider buying a Mac if they can afford it. I for instance bought a Mac Mini, one of the best hardware purchases I have ever made and a real head turner. It's not about the spec, it's about that when you plug it in it works without delay, it makes virtually zero noise and it turns heads. Macs are gorgeous cretaures, right down to the lovely packaging. For me these forums are a hobbiest/student's means to an end, and that end is buying a Mac. :hysterical: At the very least, buy the Leopard operating system and keep it on your shelf (there is even a thread on how to install from the Leopard DVD, but I advise anyone using a laptop to use the older Speedstep kernel, not the Vanilla one; I use my laptop on the road and battery and heat issues matter. Download Temperature Monitor. You might find you want/need to buy a laptop cooler pad.

dude thanx, ima try that, my 4720Z is having that same exact problem..... if you were on youtube, i'd subscribe!!!! :):thumbsup_anim:

Hi, please check my problem

I have installed mac os X on my acer.. installation complete and after reboot i see only Apple Screen and nothing happened and screen is off but hardware is still run (maybe something with video driver), only shut down PC

Acer 5738G

Inter Core2Duo 2,0ghz T6400

4,0GB DDR3 1066mhz

Nvidia GeForce G105m 512mb (more on notebookcheck.com)

F8setup -v wrote: InterfaceNamer: no network interfaces, could not update platform UUID

Could not establish network configuration: success!

This is screen when computer freeze: http://i28.tinypic.com/2efuzc2.jpg

please help :<

Posted here ages back, so I thought I'd drop in again and say Hi...

Still using my trusty Acer Extensa 5620-6830. It's come a long way from using hacked distro's; now I have a nice clean retail OSX installation using Boot231 on a GUID formatted drive, directly updated to 10.5.7. 90% of my kexts are on the hidden EFI partition instead of S/L/E. Things are SO much more stable now. I use it all day with heavy multitasking and never see a KP, crash, or lockup.

It's been over a year since I got it, so I've got some sweet hardware upgrades planned for it (as soon as I get the money). I'll try documenting everything I do for posterity, of course :rolleyes: So far I just bumped up the Ram slightly and swapped the Wifi card.

There are of course still a few negatives, namely; choosing whether to have working Ethernet or working Sleep; having the first few cold boots of the day bring up a scrambled screen; having the Crystal Eye webcam work in everything BUT Photobooth. But the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages, I think. It's so stable now that instead of dual booting, I run my XP virtually within OSX... where the webcam even works!

I noticed a few others here use this model- share your successes and experiences! Perhaps if needed, I can package up my kext's and do a quick writeup on how I got to this point.

post-246992-1247379107_thumb.png