Should I buy a new MBP

2LMan

10 posts in this topic

Alright, I have been waiting for an upgrade in order to see if its worth it. Now that the upgrades are out, I'm not sure what to get. I could get the new 2.4GHz one for $1799 from Apple Ed or I can get a refurb like this 2.2GHz for $1449 or the old 2.4GHz for $1649. Is there gonna be a real increase in speed? They both have the same screen, and the multitouch doesnt mean a thing since I normally use my USB Mouse. What are the real benefits of getting the new over the old? Ugh, decisions...decisions...

The 2.4 is ~10% faster than the 2.2, and that's just the processor. If the rest of the system is identical, that will have little to no effect on most tasks. And for those that could take full advantage of the speedup, it would mean completing in 54 minutes instead of 1 hour, for instance. Consider how much you'd be willing to pay for that performance increase.

You might feel uneasy about not having "the best", which I've been guilty of myself at times. However, you can console yourself with the fact that today's best won't hold its title for too long.

It's not just the CPU speed (and it's only a $350 difference, not $500 difference as Synaesthesia suggests). The graphics memory is doubled from 128 to 256MB, the hard drive is increased from 120GB to 200GB, and it's using the new 45nm Penryn rather than 65nm Merom, which will use less power and generate less heat. It's also new vs refurbished, and while they both come with a 1 year warranty and both have the option of AppleCare, if you decide to sell it in 2 or 3 years, the newer model will sell for more. I think all that combined is definitely worth the extra cost.

Get a new one, you get the new touchpad as well. I really like using the iPhone for web browsing with the finger zooming etc.
the multitouch doesnt mean a thing since I normally use my USB Mouse.

Learn to read.