Hexidecimal

474 posts in this topic

yea..boot to single user mode with the -s at the darwin boot loader

type the following

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

reboot

NOTE there is no space between the / and the .AppleSetupDone

This will take you thru the Setup Assistant, Skip all the network stuff and the dot mac suff and put in fake registration info, then when it asks you to create an account, make it a TEST account. This will create a TEST account that has ADMIN privileges. Just use it to change your old account back to an ADMIN from STANDARD

yea..boot to single user mode with the -s at the darwin boot loader

type the following

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

reboot

NOTE there is no space between the / and the .AppleSetupDone

This will take you thru the Setup Assistant, Skip all the network stuff and the dot mac suff and put in fake registration info, then when it asks you to create an account, make it a TEST account. This will create a TEST account that has ADMIN privileges. Just use it to change your old account back to an ADMIN from STANDARD

Thanks for that, too bad I already partitioned the drive and reinstalled. I only lost like 2 hours worth of work, no big deal. I am happy to have control over the computer again.

Edit: I need some help with the WiFi, nothing seems to work for me. I have the 1390 card but it doesn't work right now. I have tried changing up some .Plists but to no avail.

Just a question for you guys:

- Does any of you tested After Effects and FCP and the performance? Does After in OSX peform the same as in XP or Vista?

The reason I'm asking, is that I'm in doubt if I should install OSX or stay in Vista. The main reason is that I work a lot with After and Cinema 4D. FCP would not be such an adition as I'm not an editor.

I do want to be able to use OSX, but if the system struggles and the performance is low, then I wouldn't even try to install.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Just a question for you guys:

- Does any of you tested After Effects and FCP and the performance? Does After in OSX peform the same as in XP or Vista?

The reason I'm asking, is that I'm in doubt if I should install OSX or stay in Vista. The main reason is that I work a lot with After and Cinema 4D. FCP would not be such an adition as I'm not an editor.

I do want to be able to use OSX, but if the system struggles and the performance is low, then I wouldn't even try to install.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Take into consideration that this is not a full OS X system. You won't get the full compatibility for obvious reasons. If you're willing to experiment, I think it's the best approach to have some kind of benchmark on this and Vista. Especially for video editing use.

Hi everybody! Just thought i'd share my experiences today with this experiment. Here was my setup before:

Dual booting ubuntu 7.10 & windows xp home (don't laugh, it was free)

intel core 2 duo 8100

nvidia geforce 8600 256mb

2gb 667 ram

250gb SATA disk

Dell 1395 Wireless Driver

etc, etc....

Ok so all I did was remove the ubuntu partitions using the disk tool and used formatted that with the extended journaling format. When it came time for customization i installed the non-efi boot loader (not sure if I'm describing that correctly, it's been a long day). I used the built in nvidia drivers NVinject or something from the iso I had (the iATKOS v2 I believe) and the broadcom ethernet drivers. After installing, everything worked great, except for sound and wi-fi of course.

The sound worked just as described in the instructions, but us unfortunate bastards with the 1395 wireless cards have the quick fix to the system file array (some post a few pages back). The only problem I have with this is I still have to use a "-f" flag before booting up. If anyone knows how to clear the kext cache automatically I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW. Or if there's a better fix for the 1395 I'd like to know as well =D

Ok next. ran the kalyway kernel update, but I couldn't use the combo update ( my copy was already 10.5.2 and i'm assuming that's why I couldn't use the kalyway one). NO MATTER! Everything ran great, wi-fi and audio.

However, still no shutdown, sleep, or restart....the problems seem to be connected to the nvidia kexts? I dunno what to do about that until a better NVinject or something similar comes out. Doesn't really bother me that much.

The biggest thing I have to add (if anything at all) is the fact that I got the kalyway 10.5.3 update working and the iphone SDK installed, since I'm an aspiring developer of all things computer-ese. It was simple for the 10.5.3 update and all I had to do was unpack it, repair permissions once or twice, reboot, update -v twice and then it worked like a charm. Had to tweak my wi-fi settings again, but i don't care about that.

Anywho, so now it works and I can still dual boot into Windows XP home and this os x 10.5.3 install.

Thanks everyone who asked all the best questions before I could! My Vostro is now complete and I can run around yelling at Apple users too. If you need more specifics I'll be glad to explain my featherbrained-ness in detail.

**UPDATE**: forget what I said about the "-f" flag giving me a problem with the 1395 wi-fi. Not a problem anymore for some reason.....but I'll keep posting if this one reboot was a fluke. Might have something to do with the 10.5.3 update.

Robusto,

I have a problem while trying to install iAtkos v2 (could be the installation as well) because it doesnt mount the HDD or something. I still keep the out-of-the-box partitions so it could be related to that.

I want to keep windows xp with me since I get this laptop to work :poster_spam:

How does your hdd looked like before and after?

znx

Hi,

I tried to install the iAktos 10.5 (i think 1.0), but I found the following problem (I also had this half a year ago on my first try, but don't know exactly how I solved it):

After installing I only get that flashing cursor without any text or something, I set the bootflag within Jparted, but no change. What can I do? I think I solved it in my first try eith booting from antoher release and with execetung a script form there...

greetings

Update: OSX boots now, I had to boot the DVD immediatly after the installation again, execute the Darwin script and then the boot-flag in Jparted. But now the current problems: Don't now which Kexts for my GF 8600M GT, I tried the soundkexts from the first post, but I got an error that the driver has net been installed properly after copying it to the extensions directory.

Update again: Sound works, was my fault. Graphics still don't work, got a freeze after installing nvinject52 with go-option. Any idea?

Update again again: Graphics work now, but the well-known no-shutdown-bug appears, theres still no solution to it? What can I do with the Trackpad, especially mousegestures etc, moreover theres no Batterymeter like it was in the setup.

Furthermore I don't really know what the vanillakernel does so far, what advantages can I take form it?

Anyone succesfully updated a config as described in this guide to 10.5.3 ?

Could you care to share your experience and maybe some pointers on steps taken ?

I tried several times using a MysticiousC 1.3 combo update, but ended up twice with unbootable system.

The thirs attempt was with a clean 10.5.1 install and ended with upgraded system but non functional keyboard.

Same thing here. I tried it severals times, first I had different problems at startup ending in a crashed up install and finally I got it through the netkas guide.

So I were in a (I think so) fully funktional 10.5.3 installation but without keyboard/trackpad. I had no idea how to fix it, my problem is, that I wanted to upgrade to 10.5.3 because Adium is not working under 10.5.2 iATKOS 2.0i.

I cannot get the sound working on my vostro 1500. i have tried using all the dumps i could find but every time i dump them into the hdapatcher (any version, i've tried a few) it tells me that its detected an unsupported codec. please help cos everything else is working perfectly. Also im using kalyway 10.5.2 version if thats any help?

I cannot get the sound working on my vostro 1500. i have tried using all the dumps i could find but every time i dump them into the hdapatcher (any version, i've tried a few) it tells me that its detected an unsupported codec. please help cos everything else is working perfectly. Also im using kalyway 10.5.2 version if thats any help?

I can only think of 2 reasons why your sound wouldn't be working:

1. You didn't follow the directions carefully. It sounds like you didn't find the correct one. Make sure you get the one with the exact name stated in the thread.

2. You have a different sound card.

3. Kalyway screws up the sound somehow.

If it's #1, you can tell us exactly, step-by-step, what you've tried.

If it's #2, you can tell us exactly what sound card you have. I know some Dells have a sound upgrade, but I thought that was all software, so I'll be very surprised if this is it.

If it's #3, you could try iATKOS, or hopefully someone else on the forums can help you. I'd frankly be surprised if this was the problem.

Let us know what you try. Hopefully I can be of some help.

Ok, I just got my Vostro 1500 today and I'm having problems with Kalyway. Yes, I've read that Kalyway does not work that great on the Vostro and I'm currently trying to download iAtkos, but all torrents are SLOW today.

When I boot from the DVD, it gets stuck right after the countdown (sorry I don't have the exact text the screen displays right now, I'm at work). None of the attributes like "-s" or "-v" work. I've even tried a combination of each one but none of them work either. I also made sure that the hard drive was set to AHIC instead of ATA. Do I just need to wait for a iAtkos disc or can it be done with Kalyway?

After I install XP Pro, I'm gonna try it again.

I Have a Vostro 1500 and after many re installs i finally got it to work 99%(To the extent that i tested) I even got my wireless card(dell 1395) to work. I'm not sure how its working but i used iatkos v2 and the dell package and for once it worked. Ive done it many times and this time it finaly worked. Everything is perfect but i would like to update to 10.5.3 to use the iphone beta. I downloaded the kalaway comboupdate but i tried doing it another time but it messed up my installation. Im not sure what i have to do in the comboupdate to 10.5.3 because im fairly new to the whole OSx86 scean. So can someone help me out here? Thanks! :P

ok i got a stac9200.txt dump that ran through on the patcher but i still have no sound. Is there something else im supposed to be doing??
I don't know. Do you have a volume icon on the menu bar?
So iAtkos BS2 works but you have to install drivers like crazy. Now the only thing I cannot get to work or find drivers for is the Dell 1395 WLAN card. Anyone had any success or can find a simple how to on this one?
You should have read the thread more closely. :) Read this page, near the bottom:1395 how-to. Post # 74.

Hi guys

I tried GFX Strings for the 8600M GT of the Vostro 1500.

I noticed it worked for 10.5.2, but not for 10.5.3 !

Does someone has information why ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I just tried another way to do this! It's much easier.

I installed the new iATKOS v4. I installed the Darwin Bootloader, including EFI. I selected the NVinject package, and the Broadcom 440x package, of course. The NVinject from the DVD sucks, though, so I don't recommend it. Instead, get the best friend of the Vostro users: sonotone's DellPackage. You need to check it out. It has fixes for the NVidia, sound, Battery meter, Dell 1395 wifi, foreign language keyboards, and Media keys.

Try it.

Great, i installed iATKOS v4 and i works great. I migrated all the data from my old iBook G4 to my Vostro 1500 an exept Wlan and Sound it works very well, so far. I really like it

Did you use the DellPackage tool?

Yes, i use the Dell Package. I overlooked that my GF 8600 GT isn't installed. How do i do that? Read the hole threat now but don't have a clue. But what i really like is that somehow the cpu steppings seems to be active since the cpu fan turn of after some reboots. Before he was always on full power.

Its funny, OS X now lasted longer on the Dell then Vista. And it also seems to be faster then my XP on the other partition.

Yes, i use the Dell Package. I overlooked that my GF 8600 GT isn't installed. How do i do that? Read the hole threat now but don't have a clue. But what i really like is that somehow the cpu steppings seems to be active since the cpu fan turn of after some reboots. Before he was always on full power.

Its funny, OS X now lasted longer on the Dell then Vista. And it also seems to be faster then my XP on the other partition.

There's an option in the DellPackage that installs it for you. It's under Graphics->NVidia->One of those options. I don't remember which one, and I can't check because I'm on my other computer right now.