Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm really new to the forum but have been using iAtkos 10.5.1 install for 6 months now. Recently I wanted to use 10.5.2 and up but the updates I've tried using (tried using kalyway's 10.5.3 update) did not work and left my system unbootable. I would say I'm an advanced PC user but a n00b in the hackintosh scene. I've recently downloaded the iAtkos 10.5.4 DVD in hopes that the system is stable enough for me for long time use (if it works out, I will end up buying a license). I've tried installing iAtkos 10.5.4 last night on it's default installation settings (only the first two options that were checked by default were chosen) but when I rebooted, was met with the light gray apple boot screen and after a minute or so had a small icon of a crossed out circle. After that the system refused to boot. My question is, what does that icon exactly mean? And has anyone tried installing iAtkos version 4 with success?

I have the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L updated to the latest firmware.

Intel core 2 duo (currently I forgot what it is, will give that info when I get home from work)

Video card: Nvidia 9800gtx

2 SATA hard drives one with vista 64 and the other reserved for Leopard, is not in dual boot configs right now (switching between both HDs through the boot menu in bios)

4 gigs or RAM

Thats all the important info right now. I can always give more hardware info later.

I've looked all over google and these forums, and I haven't really found anything on iAtkos ver. 4 and it's install other than what's on the DVD itself.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Apologies if this is just a repeat topic, I'd really like to get my hackintosh working. :D

First sorry for my bad english - it's not my normal language

Can anybody help me?

After i installed a retail OSX 10.5.1 with upgrade to 10.5.4 on my new GA EP35-DS4 (i used the guide -> 10.5.x GUIDE v4.2 FOR THE ADVANCED USER) the boot process hangs on the "grey applepage" with the black notice "You have to restart ...." and nothing is going arround.

How can i fix it? Is it possible to fix it? Try to find something with th search function but i dont know the right words for this.

Hope my post is on the right place.

Format your Kaly partition and do another retail install on it..try mine and pratice with the EFI... its probably the easiest part of the install

maybe ill update the EFI section if it will help people like u

Thanks, I need to spend a lot more time learning about this area; in spite of a lot of searching on this site & with Google, I haven't found an overview of EFIstudio and its use. I guess if I learn about EFI strings, the rest will be easier. Just need a 36-hour day!

Hi LTL. Thank you for this great guide. May I trouble you with my tale? I used your v4.2 and worked from my Kaly install. Bought my Retail 10.5.4 DVD and GA-EP35-DS3.My CPU is D 820 All went according to plans as long as I used modbin 9.4. No joy as vanilla, machine restarts at boot. So I settled for modbin. Awesome machine. Then I updated through Apple to 10.5.5 and it broke my install. I sorted it from my Kaly where I installed the 10.5.5 update on my retail install then I used your v4.2 but with updated kext from Karaakeha1. Now my retail install is working beautifully and 10.5.5 with modbin 9.4. My question is, why cant I be vanilla and if I were, would I be able to update via Apple. Thank you, once more, for opening my eye and my mind. ;)

P.S Graphics are GeForce 7300GT, Sata DVD and HDD.

Hello all,

Thanks to everyone who has helped with this thread. I was able to install 10.5.4 on my Hackintosh this way. The day after the successful install, 10.5.5 came out. I thought I'd contribute something back.

I managed to get 10.5.5 working via the following method:

1. Boot into a separate test Leo 10.5.4 install

2. Run package 10.5.5 combo update on target Leo install

3. Re-run ./post-patch.sh on the target Leo install

It's a good idea to try the update on a test Leo 10.5.4 install, prior to doing it on your final install.

FYI, I had tried the netkas way by monitoring for AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext, deleting 'Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext' but it didn't work, and it resulted in a hang at boot on the grey apple screen.

I haven't tried just directly going through software update.

I also get the feeling that for a fresh install, the 10.5.5 combo package would work just fine after the retail DVD install step on the sticky, but I haven't tried this yet.

--------------------------

Silverstone SUGO SG01

ASUS P5K-VM

Intel C2D e8500 Wolfdale

Silverstone Nitrogon NT06e

8GB DDR2 800 RAM

WD Velociraptor 300GB

ATI Radeon HD 2600XT

Edimax EW-7728In 32bit PCI Wireless 802.11n

Zakaryya - I do believe that the reason you're not able to install the Vanilla Kernel, is because it needs to be one of the Core line of Processors. Either Core Solo/Duo, or Core 2 Duo/Quad. The Pentium D line isn't supported with Apple's kernel.

Thank you, rfuilrez. I had my suspicions. :D

Could someone iron this problem out for me? I have the wrong kernel installed.

# Kernel Choice - Vanilla or Modbin 9.4 - if you want modbin, then unhash the following 3 lines

# sudo rm -r /Volumes/$Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext

# sudo cp -r Kernel/mach_kernel /Volumes/$Macintosh/

# sudo cp -r Kernel/System.kext /Volumes/$Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/

What does it mean to unhash? Do i just delete these 3 lines? I need the modbin kernel for both of my cpu cores.

:blink:

To answer my own question for non vanilla installs, to unhash in this case means to remove the "#" symbols in the 3 lines.

Also confirming that this method works perfect for the ECS 945GCT-M/1333 motherboard with the 11/7/07 original bios.

Also did anyone notice that quicksilver dmg doesnt mount with this kernel?

Bigpoppa206,

I'm glad to hear it's working for you--can you tell me what your bios settings are?

Thanks

borderwulf

Here are my ASUS P5W DH Deluxe Bios Settings FOR OSX and leopard (10.5.5), YMMV!

MAIN:

IDE Configuration

Configure SATA as: should be set to AHCI

ALPE and ASP: should be ENABLED (affects wake from sleep)

IDE Detect Time-Out: should be set to 5 (never 0)

ADVANCED:

CPU Configuration

Modify Ratio Support: Disabled

Microcode Updation: Enabled

Max CPUID Value Limit: Enabled

Execute Disable Function: Enabled

Enhanced C1 Control: Auto

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Auto

Virtualization Technology: Enabled

Intel Speedstep: On (or Auto)

Chipset (All settings at default except)

Hyper Path 3: Disabled

Memory Remap Feature: Enabled

Onboard Devices Configuration (All settings at default except)

JMicron SATA/PATA Controller: Enabled

JMicron Controller Mode: AHCI

JMicron SATA/RAID BootROM: Disabled

Advanced PCIPnP Settings

Plug and Play OS: Yes

POWER:

Suspend Mode: S3 Only

Repost Video on S3 Resume: No

ACPI 2.0 Support: Yes

ACPI APIC Support: Enabled

APM configuration: all settings should be at default

Hardware Monitor: all fans should be disabled for faster booting

BOOT:

Boot Device Priority

Set CD/DVD to first priority

Set Main HD to second

Boot Settings Configuration: all settings should be at default

THAT'S IT!

Is there a way to install vista and xp before/after using this method of installing retail all in 1 drive?

I tried installing vista, xp, and kalyway. But when I got to trying to install retail in kalyway, the leopard installation would not enable to select the partition because it wasn't guid.

Is there a way to install vista and xp before/after using this method of installing retail all in 1 drive?

I tried installing vista, xp, and kalyway. But when I got to trying to install retail in kalyway, the leopard installation would not enable to select the partition because it wasn't guid.

Triple booting on one drive requires an MBR partition. Just search triple booting in the tutorials section.

Anyone have any trouble booting from an external drive? I can't seem to do it. I've tried booting from firewire and USB but it defaults to my internal. Any suggestions?

How are you doing it? Every time I have tried the F12 to get to choose the boot drive it has worked for me whether external/internal (except firewire they don't show as boot drives on my boards) one more thing I notice in your sig the eSATA problem. Have you tried opening diskutil to see it the drive appears there when you have tuned it on after boot? If so then select it and choose the mount option to be able to use it.

How are you doing it? Every time I have tried the F12 to get to choose the boot drive it has worked for me whether external/internal (except firewire they don't show as boot drives on my boards) one more thing I notice in your sig the eSATA problem. Have you tried opening diskutil to see it the drive appears there when you have tuned it on after boot? If so then select it and choose the mount option to be able to use it.

Yes I am doing it on start up. The USB-HDD for the usb connection didn't work. I've tried different ports, reinstalling the OS, making it the 1st thing to boot in the BIOS, etc. I wonder if the JMicron extension has something to do with it, since I banished it from my system a while ago. As for the eSATA, it won't show up unless it is turned on and connected on start up, but after that you can swap them. I posted this on page 26 in this thread:

"As for the eSata, it will only work if you have your external enclosure plugged in and powered on when you turn on/restart your computer. It shows up as internal. If you want to swap disks go to disk utility, dismount it, plug in your other drive, then mount it. Once you dismount the old drive the name stays on the list even when it is disconnected. When you plug in the new drive, mount the old name. Once it mounts the name changes to the current drive. If you try to connect an eSATA drive when it wasn't connected or powered on during start up, nothing happens. "

Hey! KISS!! Keep IT Simple Stupid!!

all what you say can be summarized in 3 sentences.

1. Download Chameleon Installer and Install http://tinyurl.com/5m66sf

2. Download Lifeboat_13 and extract all to root - http://www.mediafire.com/?mz2jwzwdzdy

3. Reboot and Enjoy!

DONE!!

I'm a f*ckin' n00b!! but I'm smart and I know who are the REAL n00bs are!

Why does anyone wants to complic8 things! All those {censored} and BULLSH*T!! OH F*CK!

Struggled a fair bit to finally get leopard retail installed on my p35-DS3P

A few tips NOT listed here that would have been useful...

10.5.5 breaks a lot of video drivers...

After installing 10.5.5 combo update.

and the post patch fixes

press F8 to interrupt the boot up sequence and boot with the -x option (safe mode).. this will boot leopard into safe mode...then use EFIstudio to generate the correct drivers.

If I didn't do this.. the machine would freeze immediately at first boot.. strangely enough.. this problems does not occurs with a straight 10.5.0 installation or a 10.5.4 installation.. only after the 10.5.5 update..

Hope this information will save someone the hours i've just wasted..

Struggled a fair bit to finally get leopard retail installed on my p35-DS3P

A few tips NOT listed here that would have been useful...

10.5.5 breaks a lot of video drivers...

After installing 10.5.5 combo update.

and the post patch fixes

press F8 to interrupt the boot up sequence and boot with the -x option (safe mode).. this will boot leopard into safe mode...then use EFIstudio to generate the correct drivers.

If I didn't do this.. the machine would freeze immediately at first boot.. strangely enough.. this problems does not occurs with a straight 10.5.0 installation or a 10.5.4 installation.. only after the 10.5.5 update..

Hope this information will save someone the hours i've just wasted..

What is your configuration? I have the same problem and I can't found the kext that is in error...

My configuration is:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 4500

Motherboard: Intel DG33BU (ICH9)

RAM: 2 Gb

Harddrive: 3 SATA Western Digital (320, 250 & 250 MB)

DVD-Burner: LG Electronics GH20NS10RBB DVD±RW Dual-Layer 20X BLACK Bulk SATA

Graphics: nVidia 8500 GT (512 Mb)

Monitor: LG 20" TFT L

Q6600 overclocked to 3.0ghz, EP35-DS3P 2.1 and P35-DS3P 1.0, 6600GT / 7600GT / 500gb maxtor sata / Pioneer 215/216 / 8gig of ram.

Pretty sure its the video drivers / or lack off that break 10.5.5 apart. 10.5.4 works fine... once EFIstudio installs the correct EFI strings.. then all seems to would well..

The -x boot up (F8 at boot).. after the post patch is essential for me to boot into safe mode to run efistudio.. I found this info out from the other p35-ds3 thread... wasted so much time... figuring this out..

What is your configuration? I have the same problem and I can't found the kext that is in error...

My configuration is:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 4500

Motherboard: Intel DG33BU (ICH9)

RAM: 2 Gb

Harddrive: 3 SATA Western Digital (320, 250 & 250 MB)

DVD-Burner: LG Electronics GH20NS10RBB DVD±RW Dual-Layer 20X BLACK Bulk SATA

Graphics: nVidia 8500 GT (512 Mb)

Monitor: LG 20" TFT L

p5wdh core 2 duo 2.66 4bg ram 500gb sys 1tb raid0 nv 7300 gt leo 10.5.5

p5wdh core 2 duo 2.66 2bg ram 500 gb sys 500 gb storage quatro fx 3400 tiger

imac 20 1.5gb ram 250 gb hd

hi all, i think this guide is the best thing since slice bread, i did,nt understand it at first but i kept on trying

and i read the hole thread.

and then in a blink of the eye it was clear as day light

i,ve edited the post oatch sh to suit my hw so now i can install in about 15-20 min.

the only thing tm nor audio dont work but i have a usb audio device, i do,nt,sleep my rig so did.nt check if sleep works.

i could ,nt get my geforct 7300 gt 512 to work so i flashed it with a 7600 gs rom its not the best but it works now

with ci qe i did use efi studio to gen a efi string for display and network but eveh tho i get ci qe only one display work when i did

will buy a 8800 gtx soon

thanks to every one for shearing, as we say in jamaica shairing is caring, irie.