Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

I just followed all the steps in 10.5.x GUIDE v4.2 FOR THE ADVANCED USER:

I have a GA-P35-DS4 motherboard and I installed the new OS on a 2nd HDD. When I try to boot into the new OSX on the new drive with the newly installed OSX I am getting a strange error. The gray screen comes up with the apple and then the little circle thing spins like it's loading... then I get this error:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Retart button" This is in English and 3 other languages. It comes up everytime I try to boot into the newly installed OS. I've attached a screenshot.

Anyone ever get this error or have a solution?

May I also suggest you add your hardware specs to your signature. Clearly one of the kext's you are installing does not jive with your hardware.

You may also want to install a few times and try different combinations of kexts to rule out which one is gving you a hard time

Dear,

Had 10.5.3 running on my box. Installed as per the guide for advanced user

1. Upgrade to 10.5.4 from Apple -- Sucessful

2. post_script.sh - ran sucessful

3. Applied Chameleon - ran sucessful

Now re-booted. While re-booting with -v (or -s -v as well) it fails very quickly and goes back "Press F8 option"

Unable to boot -- PLEASE HELP

My Machine

CPU : Pentium 4, 3066Mz

CPU Alias : Prescott

CPU Setting : G1

Instruction Set : X86, x86-64, mmx, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

Display Chip : ATI Radeon Xpress 200

RAM : 512MB

Motherboard ID : GC11020M.86A.1058.2006.0330.1109

Motherboard Name : Unknown

Harddisk : Driver Description ST380211AS (Configure SATA as IDE)

ATA/IDE Mode : Enhanced

Hit the F8 key when booting to bring up the boot menu then use the hit any key option then type in and hit the enter key -v this will boot in verbose (text) mode you will now be able to show us exactly where the error occurs with a screen shot.

I try and do this but it starts up way too fast, I've tried more the 10 times and I can't type it in fast enough. It just goes to the gray screen with the apple. It's probably one of the kext files like LTL says but I can't get that verbose text to come up to find out exactly where the error is occurring. Thanks for the suggestions so far, but still trying to figure this out.

Here's what I have:

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9300 LGA775 2.50 GHZ 6MB L2 CACHE, 1333 MHZ FSB

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 (REV 2.0)

G.SKILL 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

WD 640GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0

WD 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0

2x SAMSUNG 22X DVD BURNER SATA

EVGA GEFORCE 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI EXPRESS 2.0

ANTEC 850W ATX12 POWER SUPPLY

I try and do this but it starts up way too fast, I've tried more the 10 times and I can't type it in fast enough. It just goes to the gray screen with the apple. It's probably one of the kext files like LTL says but I can't get that verbose text to come up to find out exactly where the error is occurring. Thanks for the suggestions so far, but still trying to figure this out.

Here's what I have:

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9300 LGA775 2.50 GHZ 6MB L2 CACHE, 1333 MHZ FSB

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 (REV 2.0)

G.SKILL 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

WD 640GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0

WD 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0

2x SAMSUNG 22X DVD BURNER SATA

EVGA GEFORCE 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI EXPRESS 2.0

ANTEC 850W ATX12 POWER SUPPLY

That hardware is fine just keep hitting the F8 as fast as you can when it starts to get near accessing the hard drives when booting one of the keystrokes should work.

Was able to upgrade to 10.5.4. The system boots perfectly but the mouse and keyboard are disabled (or hangs) -- Operation Sucessful Patient died.

While installing post-patch.sh I had unhased following

# sudo rm -r /Volumes/$DESTINATION/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext

# sudo cp -r Kernel/mach_kernel /Volumes/$DESTINATION/

# sudo cp -r Kernel/System.kext /Volumes/$DESTINATION/System/Library/Extensions/

Did not install Chameleon or EFI Studio.

After post-patch.sh : I rebooted

Please help

That hardware is fine just keep hitting the F8 as fast as you can when it starts to get near accessing the hard drives when booting one of the keystrokes should work.

That's not the problem, the problem is when it boots into my drive when I am supposed to hit any key before start up to put in the command -v, I tap any key and nothing happens cause I goes to the gray screen so fast. Seriously it's not even a second, it just jumps right to the gray screen so I can't seem to get it to stop and put in -v, very aggravating.

That's not the problem, the problem is when it boots into my drive when I am supposed to hit any key before start up to put in the command -v, I tap any key and nothing happens cause I goes to the gray screen so fast. Seriously it's not even a second, it just jumps right to the gray screen so I can't seem to get it to stop and put in -v, very aggravating.

That almost sounds like there is not a time out set like there should be don't know how to get around that one if you had a Mac all you would need to do is hold the s key to boot to single user mode to add one might be worth a try to see if it will work for you, although I think that is part of the Mac firmware so good chance this is not going to work.

Edit: Now that I have thought about it some more try to boot with the install DVD once there open diskutil and mount your install partition make note of the volume name it gets then you quit diskutil and select the Terminal option to edit the com.apple.Boot.plist contained on it to add the -v to the server flags section this would boot it all the time in verbose mode.

That almost sounds like there is not a time out set like there should be don't know how to get around that one if you had a Mac all you would need to do is hold the s key to boot to single user mode to add one might be worth a try to see if it will work for you, although I think that is part of the Mac firmware so good chance this is not going to work.

Edit: Now that I have thought about it some more try to boot with the install DVD once there open diskutil and mount your install partition make note of the volume name it gets then you quit diskutil and select the Terminal option to edit the com.apple.Boot.plist contained on it to add the -v to the server flags section this would boot it all the time in verbose mode.

Alright, I completely reinstalled everything. I used OSX86 to install the kext files and that seemed to work. I also fixed the com.apple.Boot.plist so that it show the verbose mode. Now I am almost there. It goes into the new OSX with the blue background but that's as far as I get. Nothing ever comes up, no mouse cursor, no icons or dock and no top nav bar. Seems like I am so close but something still isn't right.

Alright, I completely reinstalled everything. I used OSX86 to install the kext files and that seemed to work. I also fixed the com.apple.Boot.plist so that it show the verbose mode. Now I am almost there. It goes into the new OSX with the blue background but that's as far as I get. Nothing ever comes up, no mouse cursor, no icons or dock and no top nav bar. Seems like I am so close but something still isn't right.

Check out this guy's install. He's got the same board but it's a rev. 1. The answer might be there.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115877

I just followed all the steps in 10.5.x GUIDE v4.2 FOR THE ADVANCED USER:

I have a GA-P35-DS4 motherboard and I installed the new OS on a 2nd HDD. When I try to boot into the new OSX on the new drive with the newly installed OSX I am getting a strange error. The gray screen comes up with the apple and then the little circle thing spins like it's loading... then I get this error:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Retart button" This is in English and 3 other languages. It comes up everytime I try to boot into the newly installed OS. I've attached a screenshot.

Anyone ever get this error or have a solution?

I did...when I first started, about a dozen times. After doing installs for 2 weeks straight I learned to avoid those. Keep practicing and you will get it...

You should really be following part of the noob guilde... so you can trouble shoot this better.

I want you to double check your BIOS settings

Follow 4.2 steps 1,2,3

Follow Noob Guide step 4a

The back to 4.2 step 5

Don't do EFI strings, just try to boot

Check out this guy's install. He's got the same board but it's a rev. 1. The answer might be there.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115877

Thanks kdawg, I was able to figure it out. All I had to do was remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and it went right into the new OS. I guess since I have the P35-DS4 instead of the EP35-DS4 that seemed to be the only difference. Thanks to all the people who helped I now have this install working.

I have a board that nothing will work on, not Kalyway, not anything. Kalyway loads well and then dead stops before it gets to the format screen. When I try to load the real Leopard install disc using Chameleon it asks for the drive in a two digit hexadecimal number saying 80 is a typical drive 1 and 81 is a typical drive 2 but nothing happens. The board is an Asus P5Q Pro and I read on one of the boards that someone had success loading the Kalyway install disc on this. I'm getting really frustrated! HELP!

I have GA-EP35-DS4 board with perfectly working 10.5.2 v3 install.

Decided to try 10.5.4 v4.2 Guide for advanced user.

Got everything working except sleep and shutdown.

Results are identical with both Vanilla and Modbin 9.4 kernels.

1. Computer does not wake up from sleep.

2. I am getting kernel panic on shutdown.

The same happens on my friend's GA-P35-DS4 board.

Have anybody else experienced this problem?

Any suggestions how to fix it?

I have GA-EP35-DS4 board with perfectly working 10.5.2 v3 install.

Decided to try 10.5.4 v4.2 Guide for advanced user.

Got everything working except sleep and shutdown.

Results are identical with both Vanilla and Modbin 9.4 kernels.

1. Computer does not wake up from sleep.

2. I am getting kernel panic on shutdown.

The same happens on my friend's GA-P35-DS4 board.

Have anybody else experienced this problem?

Any suggestions how to fix it?

Seen this thread?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112708

Patrick

I don't care about sleep not working but must have shutdown.

Tried PowerOff bug fix from Karaakeha's guide.

Also tested with different Bios versions.

So far no lack.

Any suggestions on how to get Shutdown to work are greatly appreciated.

I'm another happy beneficiary of all the hard work done by many members of this forum, especially LTL and Coadey. My brand new hackintosh is built from very similar components to Coadey's:

• GA-EP35-DS4 rev 2.1 motherboard

• Intel Q6600 quad 2.4GHz

• Gigabyte 8800GT video card

• 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD

• LiteON iHAS220 optical drive

• Linksys WMP300N wifi

• 4x 1GB Kingston 800 MHz RAM

• Antec Sonata Plus 550 case

With one fatal error on my part, I had a pretty easy installation to the point where I am now: vanilla kernel updated to 10.5.5, Coadey's kext list, and Chameleon. So far, everything is working without any problem, but I've only spent a few hours with the system since I finished. OS X reckons it's a Mac Pro with Airport Extreme wifi (I saw in one of the topics about recommended hardware that the WMP300N is recognised as Apple and works OOB, which is true).

I originally intended to use LTL's guide -- I like his scripts but when I looked at the guide in detail I wasn't at all confident that I could handle the EFI string setup, as I'm am a complete noob in this area, though I've used PCs forever. So I opted for Coadey's guide both because of his highly similar hardware list and the straight forward process in his guide. I used Kalyway 10.5.2, my retail Leopard DVD and the OS X 10.5.5 Combo update which is two days old.

Sound -- works through the Sonata rear audio ports but not the front yet (I think there is a mismatch in the wiring between Gigabyte and Antec)

Graphics -- perfect at 1680 x 1050 on my LG W2242T

Wifi -- working very well with my Netcomm NB9WMaxx

LAN -- not tested yet

Sleep OK -- sleeps by timed settings and Apple menu, wake by power button

Restart, shutdown/restart OK

The only fright I had was after the retail install and combo update, when on reboot I got a black screen with cryptic codes. I had to boot using the Kalyway DVD. Eventually I realised that, because I wasn't following Coadey's extra steps for cloning the install to an MBR partition, I hadn't installed any bootloader! Oh boy! so I installed Chameleon and all is OK. The other thing is that my Kalyway partition is there, but it won't show up in the list of startup disks. Would that be because it needs a boot loader installed?

Anyway, I'm very happy and extremely grateful.

I'm another happy beneficiary of all the hard work done by many members of this forum, especially LTL and Coadey. My brand new hackintosh is built from very similar components to Coadey's:

• GA-EP35-DS4 rev 2.1 motherboard

• Intel Q6600 quad 2.4GHz

• Gigabyte 8800GT video card

• 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD

• LiteON iHAS220 optical drive

• Linksys WMP300N wifi

• 4x 1GB Kingston 800 MHz RAM

• Antec Sonata Plus 550 case

With one fatal error on my part, I had a pretty easy installation to the point where I am now: vanilla kernel updated to 10.5.5, Coadey's kext list, and Chameleon. So far, everything is working without any problem, but I've only spent a few hours with the system since I finished. OS X reckons it's a Mac Pro with Airport Extreme wifi (I saw in one of the topics about recommended hardware that the WMP300N is recognised as Apple and works OOB, which is true).

I originally intended to use LTL's guide -- I like his scripts but when I looked at the guide in detail I wasn't at all confident that I could handle the EFI string setup, as I'm am a complete noob in this area, though I've used PCs forever. So I opted for Coadey's guide both because of his highly similar hardware list and the straight forward process in his guide. I used Kalyway 10.5.2, my retail Leopard DVD and the OS X 10.5.5 Combo update which is two days old.

Sound -- works through the Sonata rear audio ports but not the front yet (I think there is a mismatch in the wiring between Gigabyte and Antec)

Graphics -- perfect at 1680 x 1050 on my LG W2242T

Wifi -- working very well with my Netcomm NB9WMaxx

LAN -- not tested yet

Sleep OK -- sleeps by timed settings and Apple menu, wake by power button

Restart, shutdown/restart OK

The only fright I had was after the retail install and combo update, when on reboot I got a black screen with cryptic codes. I had to boot using the Kalyway DVD. Eventually I realised that, because I wasn't following Coadey's extra steps for cloning the install to an MBR partition, I hadn't installed any bootloader! Oh boy! so I installed Chameleon and all is OK. The other thing is that my Kalyway partition is there, but it won't show up in the list of startup disks. Would that be because it needs a boot loader installed?

Anyway, I'm very happy and extremely grateful.

Format your Kaly partition and do another retail install on it..try mine and pratice with the EFI... its probably the easiest part of the install

maybe ill update the EFI section if it will help people like u

Greetings,

I have an ASUS p5w dh deluxe mb, so I've followed these instructions as closely as possible with that in mind--I'm running Kalyway 10.5.2 and did the retail install on a new SATA drive. Basically where I'm now is I've installed the retail system from the image, the update from the download, I've installed chameleon, and I've run the post install script. I've also after several experiments copied all the kexts from my system/lib/extensions folder to the same on the new drive. Anyway all I'm getting when I boot is a kernel panic and the grey screen of death "restart you computer by holding down the power button".

Also I tried booting into the retail dvd, but that never worked. Also Also I have in bios sata set to AHCI and jmicron disabled.

Anyone have any suggestions or questions to ask?

Cheers

Borderwulf

Hey there

could anybody tell me exactly why it's not possible to do this guide with just one disk and two partitions? Because I have a laptop and as we all know it might get hard to squeeze a second hdd into this thing.

greets

Hey there

could anybody tell me exactly why it's not possible to do this guide with just one disk and two partitions? Because I have a laptop and as we all know it might get hard to squeeze a second hdd into this thing.

greets

When using the EFI boot loader it is impossible to install as the entire drive has to be unmounted so you can install it if using Chameleon then it should be possible to do it on the same drive.

So according to you the guide would work with one disk if I do exactly the steps in the v4.2 guide? As far as I can see there's no EFI used just chameleon...

It had never made me unmount the disk before using it so yes it should install into the partition now whether it will boot is another matter as I am pretty sure that it has to be a primary partition you are installing onto for Os X to boot from. If the drive was partitioned in windows then it most likely is a extended partition type for the second one on the drive.

The drive would be partitioned through mac osx as I'm running Kalyway 10.5.2 atm. So it wouldn't be done by Windows. Is it possible to have more than 1 primary partition at one time on one disk?

And just in case you're wondering: Kalyway isn't running all that smooth so that s the reason i want to try it with that guide here.

Greetings,

I have an ASUS p5w dh deluxe mb, so I've followed these instructions as closely as possible with that in mind--I'm running Kalyway 10.5.2 and did the retail install on a new SATA drive. Basically where I'm now is I've installed the retail system from the image, the update from the download, I've installed chameleon, and I've run the post install script. I've also after several experiments copied all the kexts from my system/lib/extensions folder to the same on the new drive. Anyway all I'm getting when I boot is a kernel panic and the grey screen of death "restart you computer by holding down the power button".

Also I tried booting into the retail dvd, but that never worked. Also Also I have in bios sata set to AHCI and jmicron disabled.

Anyone have any suggestions or questions to ask?

Cheers

Borderwulf

Confused, why did you copy all the kexts from an old drive to the new drive? Problem is probably there, you copied something over that you shouldn't have. I have the same board, retail install works great with this board, no need for Kalyway. YMMV.