Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

So is anyone on this thread using a straight vanilla 9.3.0 kernel and getting full sleep with restart and shutdown? Im on an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe and can't quit get there...am I missing something?

Nope. Sleep, restart, shutdown don't work with vanilla 9.3.0. My screensaver lock doesn't work either. If you mismatch the kernels to fix the screensaver lock than you can't mount usb devices. I recently discovered that even if I revert to both 9.2 kernels, usb mounting is a crapshoot, problem might be somewhere else. With both 9.3 kernels I can mount my mp3 player but it sometimes disconnects itself and I get the "incorrect device removal" pop up. I put my kernels back to 9.2 for now for the screensaver issue.

Edit: I just discovered that the screen saver issue is affecting real macs too.

Man this is confusing should I install Kalys Leo on two drives? It doesn´t say here for sure but it looks like that´s the case. I mean it say here install hacked/Kalys Leo (or other hacked Leo) then it says go buy a retail copy and make an image of the retail Leo and then boot in to Leo, man I can´t do that image before I have Leo up running. So if it´s two copies of the hacked Leo on two seperate drives I need on wich one of them should I then put the image retail Leo? I´m sorry guys but this guide and the other reatail installs I found here are very confusing.

Don´t get me wrong now I sure understand and I´m really greatful for all the info that I´m sure are based on hours of hard work you guys provide us with here but it´s just that I get a little confused here. UPS came by today with my retail copy of Leo and I´m really excited to make it to the point where I can get 10.5.3 up running on my quadcore giving me the 35% better performance I´ve been reading I get using a quadcore and Logic Pro 8.

That sudo -s in terminal does´nt always work and the few times it does I can´t type in my password, in fact I can´t type anything at all in terminal the few times I get pass the sudo -s stuff?

I´m totally lost way out there, I may not be the bets osx86 tweaker in the world but I have managed to make two PCs running Kalys Leo really well so........

Anybody please HEEEEEEELP :D

Man this is confusing should I install Kalys Leo on two drives? It doesn´t say here for sure but it looks like that´s the case. I mean it say here install hacked/Kalys Leo or other hacked Leo then it says go buy a retail copy and make an image of the retail Leo and then boot in to Leo, man I can´t do that image before I have Leo up running. So if it´s two copies of the hacked Leo on two seperate drives I need on wich one of them should I then put the image retail Leo? I´m sorry guys but this guide and the other reatail installs I found here are very confusing.

Don´t get me wrong now I sure understand and I´m really greatful for all the info that I´m sure are based on hours of hard work you guys provide us with here but it´s just that I get a little confused here. UPS came by today with my retail copy of Leo and I´m really excited to make it to the point where I can get 10.5.3 up running on my quadcore giving me the 35% better performance I´ve been reading I get using a quadcore and Logic Pro 8.

That sudo -s in terminal does´nt always work and the few times it does I can´t type in my password, in fact I can´t type anything at all in terminal the few times I get pass the sudo -s stuff?

I´m totally lost way out there, I may not be the bets osx86 tweaker in the world but I have managed to make two PCs running Kalys Leo really well so........

Anybody please HEEEEEEELP :)

You install Kalyway on one drive/partition, Then you install the retail version of leopard on the other drive/partition. The "create an image" part is just for speed. Your install will go much faster when installing from a disk image because your computer can read the hard drive faster than the optical drive.

Can't help with the "sudo -s" part. After you type it it should ask for your password. Are you logged in as the administrator? Also the terminal doesn't display your password when you type it. Just type in your password and hit enter.

You install Kalyway on one drive/partition, Then you install the retail version of leopard on the other drive/partition. The "create an image" part is just for speed. Your install will go much faster when installing from a disk image because your computer can read the hard drive faster than the optical drive.

Can't help with the "sudo -s" part. After you type it it should ask for your password. Are you logged in as the administrator? Also the terminal doesn't display your password when you type it. Just type in your password and hit enter.

Thanks man that´s what I suspected, I´m sitting here with a perfectly good Kalys 10.5.1 install that I don´t want to ruin. I´ll take another look see if I can figure the whole thing out. Can I PM you if I need to ask a few more questions, it will not be to many I promise :) .

Take care

Thanks man that´s what I suspected, I´m sitting here with a perfectly good Kalys 10.5.1 install that I don´t want to ruin. I´ll take another look see if I can figure the whole thing out. Can I PM you if I need to ask a few more questions, it will not be to many I promise :) .

Take care

Sure. I'm far from an expert but I'll help you if I can.

Sure. I'm far from an expert but I'll help you if I can.

Thanks man looks like I need a couple of answers, it´s late over here got to get some sleep. Might be why I can´t get it :) but if I can´t figure it out after I´ve had my beautisleep I´ll Pm you with a few questions.

Nope. Sleep, restart, shutdown don't work with vanilla 9.3.0. My screensaver lock doesn't work either. If you mismatch the kernels to fix the screensaver lock than you can't mount usb devices. I recently discovered that even if I revert to both 9.2 kernels, usb mounting is a crapshoot, problem might be somewhere else. With both 9.3 kernels I can mount my mp3 player but it sometimes disconnects itself and I get the "incorrect device removal" pop up. I put my kernels back to 9.2 for now for the screensaver issue.

Edit: I just discovered that the screen saver issue is affecting real macs too.

Actually I just reinstalled 10.5, went straight to the 10.5.3 Combo Update, readjusted some BIOS settings and I have full restart, shutdown and sleep as well as USB is working fine. I altered the post-patch.sh a bit to not copy over most things...I think I let it copy over the IONetworking stuff and that was about it.

BIOS setting I changed, over and above the regular settings for an install on an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe board:

"(from another site)

Set IDE Detect Timeout (Sec) [0] to at least 5.

Set ALPE and ASP to enabled.

Set Virtualization Technology [Enabled]

Enhance C1 Control [Auto]

CPU Internal Thermal Control [Auto]

Intel® SpeedStep™ tech. [On - or auto or whatever]

I found that if I didn’t have speedstep and C1 on, sleep would not work. If I enable them and use the real apple kernel with efi boot, then sleep will work. Unfortunately having these enabled limits your overclocking potential as you can not increase the cpu voltage. It is up to the individual to decide what is more important. You have done a mild overclock so it probably doesn’t mater that you can’t increase cpu voltage in your case.

Hyper Path 3 [Disabled or off or whatever]

It is normally recommended to disable Hyper path 3 if you want to be doing overclocking above a certain amount. You have done a mild overclock so it probably doesn’t matter in your case."

That's all, and it worked for me!

I used both 2 ways how to install it, but all tha same, without success.

I flollowed the guide and had no problem but after reboot I can only get into old Kalyway, if I choose the second option, which is in the list without name(it should be new retail leopard) I only get NON-SYSTEM DISK :D Please help

This is not the worlds most easy to follow guide for sure for a foreigner, man it took some thinking to get there. Why is it the brainy guys here always try to force us to get maximal training experience in using the search function and a bit of programming on top of that :D . Has it ever struck to you we just want to use the damn thing and have absolutely no interest in how it works :D as long as it does. In my case I´m an old Logic fan so that´s why I moved over to the Mac world and the mac mini I own just does´nt cut it in the long run.

OK never mind my BS cause the good news is that the Retail stuff also works (if you manage to understand what this guide says in a few critical points) on an old Asus p4p800 mobo with an old P4 3Ghz singelcore cpu. Even the onboard network, LOOK UNDER HERE NEXT LINE I UPDATED MY REPLY.

EDIT 1: guys my bad sorry had to remove the part about about having to add a PCI Lan/network card cause the onboard Lan card decided to work after (EDIT 2: THIS IS THE RIGTH THING FOR THE ASUS P4P800SE MOBO)) installing the skge.kext. I never managed to figure out how to get that PCI Lan card to work anyway but it seems it´s not needed for this Asus P4P800se mobo so who cares :D .

EDIT 3: I even managed to update to Leo 10.5.3 without any problems just do it before ju run the last comand in Terminal before it says reboot in the advanced guide.

As far as I understand you need a USB mouse and keyboard though, at least I do. Probably there´s kexts around here to make it possible to use your old keyboard and mouse (serial or parallell or whatever it´s called who cares :D ). I´ll check out and add here if I find out how to make that happend, probably you can use the same stuff you used in Kalys Leo but I´m not sure at the moment.

OH BY THE WAY I´M TYPING THIS ON MY:

ASUS P4P800SE MOBO

P4 3GHZ SINGLECORE CPU

3 gig DDR OLD TIME MEMORY

PNY GEFORCE AGP 8 X 6200 256 MB VIDEOCARD

REALLY CRAPPY OLD IDE HDD

RUNNING RETAIL LEO 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.3 WITH HELP OF THIS TRICKY GUIDE

Don´t give up guys this is just a tricky piece of text a bit hard for us foreigners to understand but it works when you do. Good luck

I could´nt even install retail Leo on a Sata2 drive on my GA P35 DS3R mobo. It got stuck in the middle of the installation so I had to put the sata drive in my old friend the Asus P4 P800se mobo that fixed it with no problems.

Once I got it up running it seems if I boot from the sata I cant see the ide drives for some reason. So I have the same problems, can´t se my ide dvd and even if I put my ide drive in an external usb unit it does´nt get reconized. Strange though if I boot from Kalys Leo on my ide drive I can see the sata?

Seems I need the mach_kernel 9.3.0 where the H can I get it ;) must be inside the 10.5.3 download someplace but I don´t know how to find it without installing the update again. Anybody please, also the latest Nvinject for 10.5.3 would be really great if somebody could ship over to me. Have it good guys

In the start of this thread where it says do the update to 10.5.2 you can go for the 10.5.3 instead, I did and it worked but I got the old mach_kernel. That´s why I want it. I´m not sure though if the one that comes with the update works or if you need a cracked one, sorry I´m not so good at this. Maby you can edit the patch in V2 so it does ´nt replace the new 9.3.0 mach_kernel.

I´ve been reading here that the system.kext and mach_kernel have to be the same version (9.3.0) to get USB working ok but also you could risk loosing other stuff.

Seems I need the mach_kernel 9.3.0 where the H can I get it :) must be inside the 10.5.3 download someplace but I don´t know how to find it without installing the update again. Anybody please, also the latest Nvinject for 10.5.3 would be really great if somebody could ship over to me. Have it good guys

Download a program called Pacifist and open the MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.3.pkg with it. The kernels are two levels down. Right-click on the one you want and choose "Install to Default Location." Don't know about the NVinject; I use EFI strings.

Remember to do all the repairing afterwards.

i've got another problem! so I now by

Step 2 – Installing EFI and making active (bootable) but he is asking a password if I type in sud -s and then i push enter then he ask me for a password i click enter too cause i have no password for my user! then i contiunue after every command he says premission denied or somthing like that! can anyone help me?

another question:

I got 2 HDD's

The first is my Samsung 300GB. This one got the partion "MACOS". The HDD Disk Identifiere: disk0 and the partition of it: disk0s1. On this HDD is the klayway version

The second is my WesternDigital 150GB. This one got the partition "Macintosh". The HDD Identifier: disk1 and the partition of it: disk1s2

i want install Mac OS X Retail on my WesternDigital and format after all steps the samsung for XP to think this work?

can somone change this step for me because i dont know what i must fill in

Step 2 – Installing EFI and making active (bootable)

1. Open Terminal

2. Type the following commands (think here, remember to change the variables which are underlined) :

sudo –s (Enter)

cd /Volumes/
MACOS
/Users/
xxx
/Desktop/EFI/pc_efi_v80 (Enter)

./startupfiletool /dev/r
disk0s2
./boot_v8 (Enter)

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/r
disk0s2
bs=512 count=1 (Enter)

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/
disk0
bs=400 count=1 (Enter)

PLS HELP ME

i've got another problem! so I now by

Step 2 – Installing EFI and making active (bootable) but he is asking a password if I type in sud -s and then i push enter then he ask me for a password i click enter too cause i have no password for my user! then i contiunue after every command he says premission denied or somthing like that! can anyone help me?

another question:

I got 2 HDD's

The first is my Samsung 300GB. This one got the partion "MACOS". The HDD Disk Identifiere: disk0 and the partition of it: disk0s1. On this HDD is the klayway version

The second is my WesternDigital 150GB. This one got the partition "Macintosh". The HDD Identifier: disk1 and the partition of it: disk1s2

i want install Mac OS X Retail on my WesternDigital and format after all steps the samsung for XP to think this work?

can somone change this step for me because i dont know what i must fill in

Step 2 – Installing EFI and making active (bootable)

1. Open Terminal

2. Type the following commands (think here, remember to change the variables which are underlined) :

sudo –s (Enter)

cd /Volumes/
MACOS
/Users/
xxx
/Desktop/EFI/pc_efi_v80 (Enter)

./startupfiletool /dev/r
disk0s2
./boot_v8 (Enter)

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/r
disk0s2
bs=512 count=1 (Enter)

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/
disk0
bs=400 count=1 (Enter)

PLS HELP ME

You must have some password. Go into system preferences and try changing it, or create one.

Yes you can have another os on another hard drive. When you boot up hold down F12 and you will get a menu to choose what you want to start up from. Choose hard drive, then choose which hard drive you want to start up from. Put whatever os will be your main one on the first hard drive (so you don't have to hit F12 every time you want to get into your main os)

"The second is my WesternDigital 150GB. This one got the partition "Macintosh". The HDD Identifier: disk1 and the partition of it: disk1s2"

sudo –s (Enter)

cd /Volumes/Macintosh/Users/YourHomeFolderNameHere/Desktop/EFI/pc_efi_v80 (Enter)

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1s2 ./boot_v8 (Enter)

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 bs=512 count=1 (Enter)

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk1 bs=400 count=1 (Enter)

Download a program called Pacifist and open the MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.3.pkg with it. The kernels are two levels down. Right-click on the one you want and choose "Install to Default Location." Don't know about the NVinject; I use EFI strings.

Thanks man I knew there was an easier way than to do the install again.

Thanks man I got my USB back. Seems I can´t have both IDE and SATA drives running on my GA P35 DS3R mobo. A cheap DVD burner is no big deal to get but moving all the data I have on my IDE harddrives man it would have been just to much. Don´t have to do that now so super thanks.

By the way is there a way to make IDE and SATA work please :P ?

Hey I'm back!

So I installed PC-EIv8 on my Macintosh Partition. Then I tried to install Mac OS X Retail from the CD but the Installtion canceld and I get an ical error. I am going to try again but before I do that I must format my HDD! When I format my HDD must I repeat the installtion from PC-EFIv8?

And why get I an iCal error? I got the Mac OS X Retail Imagefile as dmg on my Windows Vista Laptop. Do I need an ISO and how do I mount the ISO?

Thanks man I got my USB back. Seems I can´t have both IDE and SATA drives running on my GA P35 DS3R mobo. A cheap DVD burner is no big deal to get but moving all the data I have on my IDE harddrives man it would have been just to much. Don´t have to do that now so super thanks.

By the way is there a way to make IDE and SATA work please :D ?

IDE required the JMicron kext which doesn't really work. I have an IDE dvd drive but I bought this and no more problems. You can't install vista with this attached to an optical drive though.

IDE required the JMicron kext which doesn't really work. I have an IDE dvd drive but I bought this and no more problems. You can't install vista with this attached to an optical drive though.
I was´nt aware of that. I took a chance and installed it anyway and for some reason it seems the JMicron kext works for my mobo GA P35-DS3R anyway, got my IDE DVD and harddrives back. I´ve got a Hitachi SATA2 haven´t tried it in the SATA2 connector yet gonna try that and see what happends. In Bios I´ve got all options for AHCI enabled at least I think I have I´m not so good at this :) . Well all seems to work OK now but the shutdown so that´s next. Gonna install Logic first now that I have my DVD back I read there´s a chance I could get some 35% increase in performance. Thanks again man.

Edit:

Seems it takes longer to boot when I connect my SATA2 harddrive to the SATA2 connector, any ideas why? Does the harddrive work faster in SATA2 mode? If not I´ll move it back to the regular SATA connector. I´d be greatfull for any answers.