Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

First off thanks to LTL for an awesome guide! I never would have even attempted this without it.

I do have a question for anyone who has installed OS X Server this way - did your setup assistant hang at validating the serial number? Mine sits there spinning forever - it doesn't reject it - I get an error if I feed it a wrong number but when I give it a good one it never validates.

It may have something to do with the Gathering System Information progress bar on the first page of the assistant. It never finishes either but I'm able to Continue through it anyway. This is an install from a known-good 10.5.0 Server disc.

Also, is there a quick way to do a verbose boot, or a single user boot? The only way I've been able to do either is by adding the flags to the com.apple.boot.plist file. Very cumbersome. When I try command-v like on a regular mac, the efi loader says something about going backwards and bails.

Thanks.

First of all, this is clearest, most well written guide on the whole web site!! Thank you LTL.

I have a question about how to dig myself out of the tar pit I created for myself. First of all, I had a nicely working 10.5.2 install based on this guide. My system is blessed with a plethora of hard drives: I have a 10.5.2 Kalyway in a 30 GB partition and a 50 GB spare partition, both on an 80 GB IDE drive, my "production" partition on a separate 200 GB SATA drive, and a 300 GB drive I've been using for Time Machine backups. I also bought SuperDuper, so I can make sandboxes.

I "jumped ship" and upgraded a sandbox copy of my production drive to 10.5.3 using the Kaarakeha1 script and kexts, and at first blush it seemed to work fine. So I overwrote the production system with the upgrade using SuperDuper. The upgrade is working fine, except for Time Machine. Time Machine is totally ignoring the backup interval specified in the com.apple.backupd-auto.plist file in the new install. what's even more annoying is that when I try to launch Time Machine, the app locks up. As far as backing up goes, it is doing that.

Sorry for the long winded post. So, what I need to do is to build a new system, say in the spare partition, and then move/integrate my users and applications directories from my production system in with the new install to create a working system.

Can anyone assist me in trying to accomplish this? If I start with the 10.5.1 retail, do I need to install both the 10.5.2 ComboUpdate and the 10.5.3 ComboUpdate? I also installed the developer apps. Should they be installed from 10.5.1 before running the updates? And the v2 script should work "as is?"

Is there a tool to do a merge of the Application directories based on time stamps? If I did a backup of the /Application directory on the production drive, could it be restored to the new drive in an intelligent way (not overwriting files that had been modified since the backup)? Ditto for the /Users directory.

Thanks,

Skip

Can anyone assist me in trying to accomplish this? If I start with the 10.5.1 retail, do I need to install both the 10.5.2 ComboUpdate and the 10.5.3 ComboUpdate? I also installed the developer apps. Should they be installed from 10.5.1 before running the updates? And the v2 script should work "as is?"

You can go from 10.5.1 (or even 10.5) straight to 10.5.3. 10.5.3 contains all the fixes and changes from 10.5.2. Worked great for me.

You can go from 10.5.1 (or even 10.5) straight to 10.5.3. 10.5.3 contains all the fixes and changes from 10.5.2. Worked great for me.

I like the guide but i also think it's highly speculative mentioning this way works more stable than for instance a Kalyway release.

All the stuff that was mentioned in the starting post does not crash my Kalyway based setup and is probably based on individual experiences and not on fact.

Also, If you use Kalyway (or JaS or whatever) with vanilla kernel and select no special hacks or kexts during installation i don't see how one can claim that an install from a retail DVD will be that much different. It's the same files using the original kernel.

What i am trying to say is, great guide, many thanks for putting the effort in it. But i don't agree on the so called "facts" and "conclusions" that are made on hack releases since there's no proof of concept anywhere. The guys putting these releases out there deserve more respect than some wild comments based on feeling and individual experiences.

Experiences on stability and usability differ heavily. One person uses it like a real mac, the other just doesn't get things to work or even boot stable.

Based on the startpost i would really like to know how this method would be different to using a release like vanilla of JaS without any extra's combined with vanilla kernel?? Explain how this method would be more stable or reliable.......

I can easily be convinced but not by non argumented "facts".

Okay I figured out the verbose and single-user booting, it wasn't that hard (F8 brings up a prompt for arguments if anyone besides me didn't know...)

But I am still hanging at the set up assistant. I've reinstalled three times manually and using the scripts and it hangs at the server serial number validation every time. I even tried another valid serial just to be sure. So I switched to regular Leopard client and its stuck in the setup assistant too. It starts with identifying the keyboard, and progresses to where I tell it not to transfer my information from another Mac, then hangs for about a minute and loops back to the keyboard identification. Round and round it goes never getting anywhere.

Another piece of weirdness, the Natit.kext provided (both the one in the file pack and the one by itself) cause corrupt video. The screen freezes on a random pattern and the fan goes to full blast. It puts out some real heat apparently doing nothing. Is it possible I have the wrong kind of Saphire Radeon HD 3870? It seems to work fine without Natit.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

First of all, this is clearest, most well written guide on the whole web site!! Thank you LTL.

I "jumped ship" and upgraded a sandbox copy of my production drive to 10.5.3 using the Kaarakeha1 script and kexts, and at first blush it seemed to work fine. So I overwrote the production system with the upgrade using SuperDuper. The upgrade is working fine, except for Time Machine. Time Machine is totally ignoring the backup interval specified in the com.apple.backupd-auto.plist file in the new install. what's even more annoying is that when I try to launch Time Machine, the app locks up. As far as backing up goes, it is doing that.

Sorry for the long winded post. So, what I need to do is to build a new system, say in the spare partition, and then move/integrate my users and applications directories from my production system in with the new install to create a working system.

Folks, my apologies. The error about not being able to obtain the system UUID could have been due to a permissions/ownership issue on the IONetworkingFamily resource. At least I do know this much: I rebuilt my 10.5.2 installation, and got it working pretty well, except for a couple of UUID errors in the console log. So I slipped in the modified file, didn't set the ownership/permissions on it correctly, and on reboot I got a ton of those errors. Made me think I was running the 10.5.3 system.

I need to redo the 10.5.3 upgrade and take better notes.

--Skip

P.S. Migrating the Apps and User folders from the other drive using the Migration Assistant worked really well...

Well I'm officially in Setup Assistant Hell... I managed to trick my client install by booting into single user mode and adding the file .AppleSetupDone in /var/db. Then I was able to log in as root and set up a user the old fashioned way. But, as soon as I complete the upgrade to server, it runs the g*ddamn server setup assitant on the next reboot and hangs just like it does when I install server from scratch!

So I went and bought another harddisk and installed Kalyway on it - I had been doing the prep work by connecting my disk to an actual MacBook - and the setup assistant on the Kalyway install hangs exactly the same way as the client one does when I follow this guide.

;)

Feeling like a clueless n00b here... anyone have any idea whats going on?

Thanks.

Hmmm... Setup Assistant Hell is caused by a lack of ethernet ports. This makes no sense to me but there it is. My Linksys card, which is Realtek 8169S-based, is not recognized here or under Kalyway. Not sure what's going on there. The built-in, which I had turned off in the bios, seems to work fine. As soon as I turned it on I was able to complete the setup assistant. The link did not have to be active, there just had to be a recognized ethernet device in the system.

So I've managed to complete an install of Server 10.5.3. Natit seems to be working now, I have no idea why but I have accelerated graphics suddenly. I still don't have any sound. I still don't have any legacy IDE devices (my PATA drive shows up under Kalyway, not here) I still dont have any usb devices beyond keyboard and mouse. My firewire works but I cant hot-plug drives.

Time Machine seems to be acting up too, but I have yet to even look at that.

Right, complete and utter n00b here but I'm trying to work out whether the machine I've just started to build will work with this guide.

So straight into the specs which i suppose is a good start.

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz

Asus P5N-T Deluxe nForce 780i (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-8000C5 1000MHz ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth Edition Dual Channel DDR2

Point of View GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

2 * Maxtor Diamondmax 22 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache

Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 PCI-Express Sound Card

Would I be able to install leopard on this machine using the basic tutorial here or would I have to use the advanced? That is if it is possible at all.

Also would I have to do anything extra to get it to shut down/restart normally?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help guys, really appreciated.

FInally Grabbed my Gigabyte EP35-DS3P Board. LOVE THE BOARD!!!!!

Overclocks really easy. I added Crucial PC-8500 Memory.

Everything works. Except shutdown. LOL. Keeps restarting, guess I'll hunt down that shutdown fix (and this is from an OS X drive that was moved from my abit IP35 Pro Board.) Just plugged and booted, AFter configging the BIOS of course.

Has anyone tried the Gigabyte Raid setup??? I have all the PATA stuffs working, Planning to grab a couple of 160's and do a RAID setup... If no one has, I'll report back with my findings...

FInally Grabbed my Gigabyte EP35-DS3P Board. LOVE THE BOARD!!!!!

Overclocks really easy. I added Crucial PC-8500 Memory.

Everything works. Except shutdown. LOL. Keeps restarting, guess I'll hunt down that shutdown fix (and this is from an OS X drive that was moved from my abit IP35 Pro Board.) Just plugged and booted, AFter configging the BIOS of course.

Has anyone tried the Gigabyte Raid setup??? I have all the PATA stuffs working, Planning to grab a couple of 160's and do a RAID setup... If no one has, I'll report back with my findings...

Look for a raid pci-express card with a SIL 3132 chip

I like the guide but i also think it's highly speculative mentioning this way works more stable than for instance a Kalyway release.

But lets not forget that the original purpose of this thread was NOT another Kalyway install, it was using Kalyway to get yourself booted up and then do a retail install directly from the DVD image.

All the stuff that was mentioned in the starting post does not crash my Kalyway based setup and is probably based on individual experiences and not on fact.

Also, If you use Kalyway (or JaS or whatever) with vanilla kernel and select no special hacks or kexts during installation i don't see how one can claim that an install from a retail DVD will be that much different. It's the same files using the original kernel.

But in reality, Kalyway does not. It uses injectors as well as some files that have been hacked in order to make them work. I have used Kalyway, iaTkos, Leo4All and straight vanilla retail and have gotten my best scores with the retail install. YMMV.

What i am trying to say is, great guide, many thanks for putting the effort in it. But i don't agree on the so called "facts" and "conclusions" that are made on hack releases since there's no proof of concept anywhere. The guys putting these releases out there deserve more respect than some wild comments based on feeling and individual experiences.

Experiences on stability and usability differ heavily. One person uses it like a real mac, the other just doesn't get things to work or even boot stable.

Based on the startpost i would really like to know how this method would be different to using a release like vanilla of JaS without any extra's combined with vanilla kernel?? Explain how this method would be more stable or reliable.......

I can easily be convinced but not by non argumented "facts".

Of course, I do not know what others are running as far as their hardware. I use an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe and have tried to keep my hardware and software as close to a real Apple machine as possible. All I did was answer someone's question, that no you do not need to do the update though the version numbers (10.5 -> 10.5.1 -> 10.5.2 -> 10.5.3) when 10.5.3 contains all the same fixes that 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 has. Of course folks need to remember that if you are following the guide in the very first post of this thread, you can skip the Leopard graphics update, but do not forget to run the post-patch.sh which of course will replace a few files. But on my machine, I am using EFI strings for my 8800GT video card, ethernet and HD Audio so that 99.9 % of my system is vanilla. Again, YMMV.

But on my machine, I am using EFI strings for my 8800GT video card, ethernet and HD Audio so that 99.9 % of my system is vanilla. Again, YMMV.

On my Retail install I too use EFI strings for graphics, Ethernet & Audio. Apart from that I have only deleted one file, patched another & added another plus installed the essential files to the EFI partition to make it all work. That makes it about 99.999% vanilla:-)

On my Retail install I too use EFI strings for graphics, Ethernet & Audio. Apart from that I have only deleted one file, patched another & added another plus installed the essential files to the EFI partition to make it all work. That makes it about 99.999% vanilla:-)
I just checked. My Hackintosh has over 1 million files so 3 files changed out of a million makes it about 99.99997% vanilla if my maths is correct.

hi guys, sorry I have been so out of the mix but I have been really busy with work

I will do my best to get caught up on posting and provide a clear path to 10.5.3

I am still using my stable 10.5.2 system

I will experiment with my test systems as soon as I have a chance

Good look all and keep posting

LTL

Now that I have a working 10.5.2 retail-based installation, as well as SuperDuper! (SD), I'm interested in doing the upgrade using the SD sandbox approach: basically you create a clone of your current system, but create links to the Applications and Users directories. It can be done in a 15 GB partition easily. When you've finished testing the upgrade, you can copy the changes back to your production system. It's much nicer than trying to migrate the applications and users during a clean install.

I'm aware that many people are reporting the 10.5.3 upgrade went smoothly and they've seen no problems. This hasn't been my experience. I've been unable to sync my Palm Tungsten E2 in the sandbox (nothing happens when I press the sync button), nor have I been able to launch Time Machine in restore mode (it locks up). When a solution to either of these has been posted, I'll try again...

--skip

Hi all,

I'm a noob here too, and I successfully installed Leopard using this guide and BrazilMac patch method. I have a Dell XPS M1530 and the main problem that I ran into is that the keyboard and trackpad aren't recognized - as this is a laptop, settling for a USB keyboard is not very practical. I used a USB keyboard and mouse to finish the install, but I can't seem to figure out how to fix this. Anyone else have the same problem? Thanks.

- Dell XPS M1530 Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, NVidia 8600M GT, Triple Booting Vista, Fedora 8 and Leopard

I'm aware that many people are reporting the 10.5.3 upgrade went smoothly and they've seen no problems. This hasn't been my experience. I've been unable to sync my Palm Tungsten E2 in the sandbox (nothing happens when I press the sync button), nor have I been able to launch Time Machine in restore mode (it locks up). When a solution to either of these has been posted, I'll try again...

--skip

The v2 script (at least my copy) installed the Netkas sleep kernel, which was at revision 9.2.0. The System kext from the update is at revision 9.3.0, which is why the USB ports weren't working. The vanilla 9.3.0 kernel, with the new System kext, does work. I found a discussion of this in a post by LioNEXT.

I expect the Time Machine problem has to do with some of the other kexts that were copied on top of the update. Since the number is small, it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out...

--Skip

Hi Guy's

This is my first post and i hope that you will be able to help me sort out my installation. :hysterical:

Firstly i am running Vista Ultimate 32 Bit and would like to dual boot it with OSx86 10.5 (Leopard).

Here is my Notebooks Hardware Details. (Some of it)

Processor Summary

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T7300 2000 MHz

CPU Clock: 1995.0 MHz (10.0 x 199.5 MHz QDR)

Level 1 Cache: 2 x 32+32 kB (data+instr.)

Level 2 Cache: 1 x 4096 kB

Motherboard Summary

System Name: Intel Corporation Crestline & ICH8M Chipset

Motherboard OEM: Intel Corporation

Board Model: Intel Corporation SANTA ROSA CRB

BIOS Version: Phoenix BIOS SROSA001.86C.0030.D.0708131156 for Intel

Chipset Name: Intel PM965/GM965/GL960 (Crestline)

Chipset Vendor: Intel Corporation

Chipset: Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Express Processor to DRAM Controller

Southbridge Vendor: Intel Corporation

Southbridge: 82801HEM (ICH8M-E) LPC Interface Controller

I have tested my CPU and if supports all the necessary things, i have also downloaded the 2 zip files specified in the beginning of the tutorial. Files.zip and v2.zip.

I have also have the update files for OSx86 10.5 (Leopard) from the other thread.

The only thing i am still trying to get my hands on is the OSx86 10.5 (Leopard) installation Disc's.

If anyone has some information that would be helpful regarding dual booting with Vista and how to do the installation please help THe Noob :(

The v2 script (at least my copy) installed the Netkas sleep kernel, which was at revision 9.2.0. The System kext from the update is at revision 9.3.0, which is why the USB ports weren't working. The vanilla 9.3.0 kernel, with the new System kext, does work. I found a discussion of this in a post by LioNEXT.

I expect the Time Machine problem has to do with some of the other kexts that were copied on top of the update. Since the number is small, it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out...

--Skip

Success!! The Time Machine lockup was caused by me: I created a sandbox with SuperDuper! with both the Users and Application folders linked back to a working partition. It turns out that the Mac Update only patches the applications, and doesn't provide a complete copy. Consequently, the result was a mess. I repeated the experiment with a full copy of the Applications folder, but with the Users folder still linked back to my production drive, and this time Time Machine worked the way it's supposed to work.

I have an 8600GT card, and QE wasn't working after the upgrade. I used the NVinject v.41 with 10.5.2, and when I installed the new package (NVinject v.52) it fixed the problem.

--Skip

I didn't tried it but you can see it on the forum if you use the search button :(
Therein lies the problem, I searched this thread for RAID and only found one entry and it didnt answer my question. No big deal. the drives I ordered off ebay will be here this week So I can answer it definitively.
see my sig.
Your sig says nothing to answer my question. I am asking about the GIGABYTE Sata Controller, which works fine in IDE/RAID mode for showing my IDE drives. I have 2 160GB's on the way for me to use as a RAID 0 array. I'll find out that way. Thanks however.