[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Good news. did a load of weird stuff with the bootloader and smbios settings, mixed and matched some stuff from LatinMcG's post above, got a newer version of VoodooBattery (all versions of AppleACPIBatteryManager that I tried gave me kernel panics), and now sleep is finally working fine :D All that's left is a working trackpad prefpane.. but I'm not too bothered about that anyway :D

Thanks LatinMcG!

OK so do you guys follow this guide for editing your DSDTs?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

If so I'll invest some time in learning how to do that.

Also can someone give me a quick rundown of exactly how they setup their hard drive? I'm getting the "Boot0: Error" message when trying to boot after installing Chameleon RC5 1102. I can still boot fine of the install USB stick. GParted live says I have an EFI fat32 partition and a HFS+ partition where Lion is installed, is that normal?

TNKS!

ram

Thanks LatinMcG!

OK so do you guys follow this guide for editing your DSDTs?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

If so I'll invest some time in learning how to do that.

Also can someone give me a quick rundown of exactly how they setup their hard drive? I'm getting the "Boot0: Error" message when trying to boot after installing Chameleon RC5 1102. I can still boot fine of the install USB stick. GParted live says I have an EFI fat32 partition and a HFS+ partition where Lion is installed, is that normal?

TNKS!

ram

it probably defaulted to the EFI rather than the hd(0,2)

yes its normal to have hidden efi partition. (thats where i install chameleon2) i use EFI mount unmount utility to access it

it probably defaulted to the EFI rather than the hd(0,2)

yes its normal to have hidden efi partition. (thats where i install chameleon2) i use EFI mount unmount utility to access it

Sorry if I'm getting off topic with the Chameleon stuff but there's not much info about boot0: error around.

I used EFI mount and that was fine, there wasn't anything in the EFI partition. Whenever I run the Chameleon installer with anything but the OS partition mounted it doesn't give me an option to change the destination, it just skips over that so I tried to manually install Chameleon but that didn't work either. How did you install Chameleon on your EFI partition? I've read every Lion guide and no one says anything about this so I'm assuming I've screwed something along the way :)

I'm quite happy to nuke it and start again. I'm pretty sure I used GParted to create the GUID table so maybe that's it?

Good news. did a load of weird stuff with the bootloader and smbios settings, mixed and matched some stuff from LatinMcG's post above, got a newer version of VoodooBattery (all versions of AppleACPIBatteryManager that I tried gave me kernel panics), and now sleep is finally working fine :) All that's left is a working trackpad prefpane.. but I'm not too bothered about that anyway :D

Install to the System/Library/PreferencePanes directory ensuring that there are no other Trackpad.prefPanes installed anywhere on your system.

Trackpad.prefPane.zip

Here is the proper, albeit useless, VoodooPS2.prefPane which loads without any errors:

VoodooPS2.prefpane.zip

Lastly, here is the properly compiled and operational AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext:

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext.zip

Install to the System/Library/PreferencePanes directory ensuring that there are no other Trackpad.prefPanes installed anywhere on your system.

Trackpad.prefPane.zip

Here is proper, albeit useless, VoodooPS2.prefPane which loads without any errors:

VoodooPS2.prefpane.zip

Lastly, here is the properly compiled and operational AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext:

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext.zip

Thanks, but the trackpad prefpane just says error like my old patched one that I tried... and the AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext is the same as one I already tried... and I have the PS2 prefpane which I removed anyways ;)

I'm pretty sure I used GParted to create the GUID table so maybe that's it?

yes that could be it.. use disk utility in dvd setup.. goto partition tab. then select 1 or 2 partition. goto advanced. check GUID is checked.

then create HFS Journaled. then close and continue to setup.

Thanks, but the trackpad prefpane just says error like my old patched one that I tried... and the AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext is the same as one I already tried... and I have the PS2 prefpane which I removed anyways :(

if you have a cache built (.mkext) with ps2nub or any other vodookeyboard or trackpad.. it conflicts with ones inside voodoops2 kext (changes made were to include those kexts inside ps2 kext.) therefore making error..

btw i didnt need voodoops2 settings prefpane.. my synaptics works with original with andyvand voodoops2. in /S/L/E not /E/E

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=240639

Hi guys, here's a complete package for lion on XPS M1530 - includes complete Extra directory, kexts to be installed to /S/L/E, and bootloader. Hope this helps anyone else who's struggling to make everything work at the same time :D

What works with this:

-Keyboard/trackpad stuff (tap to click, dragging, two finger scroll, etc)

-Battery Icon/SpeedStep/Sleep

-Graphics/Sound

Download package

Don't forget to backup, fix permissions, etc etc!

Also, you may need to change the com.apple.Boot.plist to set your default partition and other settings.

Edit: I *finally* figured out a fix for two finger scroll - I went to Universal Access, Mouse and trackpad tab, then toggle the scrolling option and voila, it works. So there's no need to update the package :P

Edit2: Never mind, that didn't fully work. I've updated the package with a different VoodooPS2Controller which works and doesn't break sleep. Here's how to get it working after all the files are in place and permissions are fixed:

1. Backup and remove trackpad prefpane from /System/Library/PreferencePanes

2. Install the included Trackpad.prefpane (double click it). It will not open yet.

3. Open the applications folder. Right click System Prefs, click "Get Info" and enable "Open in 32 bit mode"

4. Now the trackpad prefpane will open. Configure it how you want and close. You can now disable "Open in 32 bit mode" again.

5. Enjoy :D

yes that could be it.. use disk utility in dvd setup.. goto partition tab. then select 1 or 2 partition. goto advanced. check GUID is checked.

then create HFS Journaled. then close and continue to setup.

if you have a cache built (.mkext) with ps2nub or any other vodookeyboard or trackpad.. it conflicts with ones inside voodoops2 kext (changes made were to include those kexts inside ps2 kext.) therefore making error..

btw i didnt need voodoops2 settings prefpane.. my synaptics works with original with andyvand voodoops2. in /S/L/E not /E/E

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=240639

sorry ,it takes a long time to get my unmodify dsdt.

my machine is dell inspiron 1520,a09bios,t5450,8400m gs gpu,2g ram.

attached is my original dsdt.dsl without any modify or fix.

i have the problem that,under 10.6.7,i use a dsdt modify accord to this post,so i nearly have a perfect osx besides cmos reset and shut down problem.so i used sleep my machine for nearly 2years.but if i change rtc lenth it wont sleep .just the same thing happen when i use LatinMcG 's dsdt and kext. i dont use other kext besides bettery and facksmc.

under 10.6.8,no matter i use my own dsdt or LatinMcG 's dsdt ,it cant sleep.

so i post my original dsdt .pls help me,thanks very much.

sorry for my poor english.

dell1520orignal.dsl.zip

sorry ,it takes a long time to get my unmodify dsdt.

my machine is dell inspiron 1520,a09bios,t5450,8400m gs gpu,2g ram.

attached is my original dsdt.dsl without any modify or fix.

i have the problem that,under 10.6.7,i use a dsdt modify accord to this post,so i nearly have a perfect osx besides cmos reset and shut down problem.so i used sleep my machine for nearly 2years.but if i change rtc lenth it wont sleep .just the same thing happen when i use LatinMcG 's dsdt and kext. i dont use other kext besides bettery and facksmc.

under 10.6.8,no matter i use my own dsdt or LatinMcG 's dsdt ,it cant sleep.

so i post my original dsdt .pls help me,thanks very much.

sorry for my poor english.

what smbios.plist is it faking MacBookPro4,1 >?? i had issues with it and with pro3,1

my machine is 8600m no wonder it wont sleep. its different dsdt...or is it? so far i see its same.

something done wrong in osx installation or source files. or language bug. or permissions (try applejack from sourceforge boot -s type applejack.. then reboot when done, run plain disk utility permisions repair).. or bad smbios.plist model.. bad chameleon2 revision... many things can be wrong... bad ram timing (different brands?) gpu or chipset prefailure ?. reflow time!

Hi guys, here's a complete package for lion on XPS M1530 - includes complete Extra directory, kexts to be installed to /S/L/E, and bootloader. Hope this helps anyone else who's struggling to make everything work at the same time :D

What works with this:

-Keyboard/trackpad stuff (tap to click, dragging, two finger scroll, etc)

-Battery Icon/SpeedStep/Sleep

-Graphics/Sound

Download package

Don't forget to backup, fix permissions, etc etc!

Also, you may need to change the com.apple.Boot.plist to set your default partition and other settings.

Edit: I *finally* figured out a fix for two finger scroll - I went to Universal Access, Mouse and trackpad tab, then toggle the scrolling option and voila, it works. So there's no need to update the package :)

Edit2: Never mind, that didn't fully work. I've updated the package with a different VoodooPS2Controller which works and doesn't break sleep. Here's how to get it working after all the files are in place and permissions are fixed:

2. Install the included Trackpad.prefpane (double click it). It will not open yet.

3. Open the applications folder. Right click System Prefs and enable "Open in 32 bit mode"

4. Now the trackpad prefpane will open. Configure it how you want and close. You can now disable "Open in 32 bit mode" again.

5. Enjoy :D

Interestingly enough, still no sleep for me :) I even went as far as using your DSDT versus my modified (and cosmetic) one with the appropriate changes.

First sleep is still fine, second will either not register or reboot immediately. Everything else works as it should though.

No difference with hibernatemode set to 0 or 3...

Same with using your AppleACPIPlatform.kext versus the original Lion one. The only thing I've not tried is the AppleRTC modification that assists in the corruption of CMOS on Gigabyte boards...

I do use a MBP5,1 based serial number though. Even with a MB5,1 based model identifier etc in smbios.plist.

Starting to drive me nuts :)

Interestingly enough, still no sleep for me :) I even went as far as using your DSDT versus my modified (and cosmetic) one with the appropriate changes.

First sleep is still fine, second will either not register or reboot immediately. Everything else works as it should though.

No difference with hibernatemode set to 0 or 3...

Same with using your AppleACPIPlatform.kext versus the original Lion one. The only thing I've not tried is the AppleRTC modification that assists in the corruption of CMOS on Gigabyte boards...

I do use a MBP5,1 based serial number though. Even with a MB5,1 based model identifier etc in smbios.plist.

Starting to drive me nuts :)

Did you use all of the files in the zip? I found that changing even one file broke sleep for me - including DSDT, VoodooBattery, etc.. except VoodooHDA...

Just tried it again...

Cleared the caches out this time.

Rebooted to a KP on the broadcomm airport card, rebooted with -v and all seems to be working. I'll keep an eye on it, will experiment to see what the difference is :)

Thanks again!

Brett

Ok back on my DSDT, the only changes from the original was the _ADR change to _UID in Device (PCI0) and also reverting back to a single RTC.

Will continue to work on it and see what else determines the issues with sleep :) I would like to sit on as many 'un-modified' kexts as possible.

Brett

Well it seems that the key is AppleACPIPlatform.kext is the key in this case. This gets changed and suddenly Sleep reboots on the second attempt.

Time to do some in depth DSDT research between the 1520 DSDT and the M1530 one...

Hi all, so I now have:

A working Chameleon install

A (mostly) working Lion install

A working Leopard install

The only way I could get the Lion install to work was to add the files that nhnt11 posted. Everything is working except the track pad. Is there something I can do to get this to work from my Leopard install or will I need to go find a USB mouse then fix it from within Lion?

Let me know what info I should post about this. I have an m1530.

TNKS!

ram

what smbios.plist is it faking MacBookPro4,1 >?? i had issues with it and with pro3,1

my machine is 8600m no wonder it wont sleep. its different dsdt...or is it? so far i see its same.

something done wrong in osx installation or source files. or language bug. or permissions (try applejack from sourceforge boot -s type applejack.. then reboot when done, run plain disk utility permisions repair).. or bad smbios.plist model.. bad chameleon2 revision... many things can be wrong... bad ram timing (different brands?) gpu or chipset prefailure ?. reflow time!

my s/e/e file is only the file from yours.

plain permission repair do many times after i change dsdt or s/e/e .

chameleon2 is download from kext.com ,Chameleon2.0RC5r1140

ram timing is the same.

installation is hard disk install,source file is snow leopard 10.6.3 retail.then upgrade to 10.6.7

i will try applejack and report it .

thanks LatinMcG .

my s/e/e file is only the file from yours.

plain permission repair do many times after i change dsdt or s/e/e .

chameleon2 is download from kext.com ,Chameleon2.0RC5r1140

ram timing is the same.

installation is hard disk install,source file is snow leopard 10.6.3 retail.then upgrade to 10.6.7

i will try applejack and report it .

thanks LatinMcG .

i do all applejack without repair disk,there is no any change,still cant sleep in 10.6.8

Hi all, so I now have:

A working Chameleon install

A (mostly) working Lion install

A working Leopard install

The only way I could get the Lion install to work was to add the files that nhnt11 posted. Everything is working except the track pad. Is there something I can do to get this to work from my Leopard install or will I need to go find a USB mouse then fix it from within Lion?

Let me know what info I should post about this. I have an m1530.

TNKS!

ram

Make sure you put VoodooPS2Controller in /System/Library/Extensions and that you delete the one in /Extra/Extensions (if you got the original package I posted). AppleACPIPS2Nub should be removed if you have it. Also make sure you fixed permissions properly

($sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions && sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions)

Just tried it again...

Cleared the caches out this time.

Rebooted to a KP on the broadcomm airport card, rebooted with -v and all seems to be working. I'll keep an eye on it, will experiment to see what the difference is :(

Thanks again!

Brett

Ok back on my DSDT, the only changes from the original was the _ADR change to _UID in Device (PCI0) and also reverting back to a single RTC.

Will continue to work on it and see what else determines the issues with sleep ;) I would like to sit on as many 'un-modified' kexts as possible.

Brett

Well it seems that the key is AppleACPIPlatform.kext is the key in this case. This gets changed and suddenly Sleep reboots on the second attempt.

Time to do some in depth DSDT research between the 1520 DSDT and the M1530 one...

its the SMBUS addition i think. i added a simpler smbus with device id and seems to work.

also i fixed an M1530 and added linux mint 10 and after reboot from windows to linux i had issues with pc not resetting (releasing graphics or something ). so theres a bug in m1530 for sure.

i had to power off then power on for it to work. not restart. (try older bios ? redump dsdt? check ssdt . mine changed from A03 to A04 in ssdt.)

i think im on the trail for the shutdown again. the differences is defiinitely the chipset is split for onboard igpu or pci-e nvidia. .. the dsdt seems like it designed arround the dual addressing for igpu or nvidia . pci _CRS is the main change .. SMI (0x6D, Zero) and SMI (0xBE, Zero)

i do all applejack without repair disk,there is no any change,still cant sleep in 10.6.8

boot linux live with internet..then get dsdt with

http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/...es-project.html

i believe u have a bad bios setting. or a bad kext/ installation method./ source.

try my extra folder again. i have been updating it.

Hi guys, today OSX Lion was released and i have bought the Update on my Mac, converted it to USB-Stick and tried to install it on my Hackintosh Dell XPS M1530 as well.

Unfortunately it says me "This Version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this Computer." do i have to buy the Update again?! Apple-ID is the same, but i dont like to use the Mac App-Store on my Hackintosh. I have the feeling that OSX 10.7 is an 64Bit-Only-Update. Can anyone confirm this?

My Dell is an 86bit-Laptop with 3Gb ram and C2D T8100.

Hi guys, today OSX Lion was released and i have bought the Update on my Mac, converted it to USB-Stick and tried to install it on my Hackintosh Dell XPS M1530 as well.

Unfortunately it says me "This Version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this Computer." do i have to buy the Update again?! Apple-ID is the same, but i dont like to use the Mac App-Store on my Hackintosh. I have the feeling that OSX 10.7 is an 64Bit-Only-Update. Can anyone confirm this?

My Dell is an 86bit-Laptop with 3Gb ram and C2D T8100.

Substitute the file "OSInstall.mpkg" in the folder System/Installation/Packages with this modified OSInstall.mpkg.zip

Substitute the file "OSInstall.mpkg" in the folder System/Installation/Packages with this modified OSInstall.mpkg.zip

Thanks a lot dude! Setup seems to work now! Do i have to update to 10.6.8 before i install Lion? At the Moment i have 10.6.7...

3. Open the applications folder. Right click System Prefs and enable "Open in 32 bit mode"

5. Enjoy :rolleyes:

Would you please care to elaborate on the "Right click System Prefs and enable "Open in 32 bit mode"?