[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I just put back together my M1330 and was wondering what's the best current way to install it using only the USB drive, since the slot-loading drive on my M1330 went kaput. I'm trying to build a 64-bit SL that's using Vanilla kernel and updatable using combo updates (even if I have to remove VoodooHDA after each update).

I saw that I could expand the iATKOS S3v2 DVD onto my USB drive here (http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12363) as someone else installed it so it should work. Any other ideas? (I have a Retail 10.6.0 OSX DMG that I can expand onto my flash drive, would doing that, then installing Chameleon RC5 onto it work?)

What kexts are you guys using? The ones from superHAI here (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=561) I see that he has 5 versions, do they all have the same kexts but different bootloaders?

Thanks for all the help!

Hey everyone,

I just put back together my M1330 and was wondering what's the best current way to install it using only the USB drive, since the slot-loading drive on my M1330 went kaput. I'm trying to build a 64-bit SL that's using Vanilla kernel and updatable using combo updates (even if I have to remove VoodooHDA after each update).

I saw that I could expand the iATKOS S3v2 DVD onto my USB drive here (http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12363) as someone else installed it so it should work. Any other ideas? (I have a Retail 10.6.0 OSX DMG that I can expand onto my flash drive, would doing that, then installing Chameleon RC5 onto it work?)

What kexts are you guys using? The ones from superHAI here (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=561) I see that he has 5 versions, do they all have the same kexts but different bootloaders?

Thanks for all the help!

you can use myHack to use with your retail installer...

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/

or Nawcom's myhack-mod http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=242

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the help!

i use the 5th version of superHai iso file to installs iatkos s3v2 on my xps m1330. it works for mine. booting from my 8gb thumb drive. just restore ur iatkos image to ur thumb drive.

i use the 5th version of superHai iso file to installs iatkos s3v2 on my xps m1330. it works for mine. booting from my 8gb thumb drive. just restore ur iatkos image to ur thumb drive.

wanna share with those xps m1330 user, my cam work after followed this tutorial http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10328879-263.html which i use the pacifist to reinstall the kext from leopard 10.5.8 update package. now my m1330 almost complete works except the graphic still cant have a quartz extreme support.

kext that i use to reinstall:

IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext.

IOHIDFamily.kext

IOUSBFamily.kext.

please run disk repair permission via disk utilities before reboot. currently running on 10.6.6. awesome!!

<li>Find the file IOHIDFamily.kext. Click the Install button in Pacifist and enter your administrator password. <li>Find the file IOUSBFamily.kext.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10328...l#ixzz1AoJ6Qe9I

Hey guys, back after posting more than 10 posts due to the spam restrictions on the boards ATM.

I followed this tutorial (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199832) and was able to boot using USB with a retail DVD image and chameleon installed. Thanks for the suggestions above, I figured that if I use a retail disk + Superhai's/other kexts I've found I'll know what I have install to boot. As well with the USB key I was able to switch out kexts without destroying the Snow Leopard install or putting the HD into another mac.

I'm using the DSDT file for ANYCPU from the M1330 DSDT thread (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=t190780) and have the following files in Extra/Extensions:

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

fakesmc.kext

This the copy of the com.apple.Boot.plist, took it from the M1330 DSDT thread as without it I didn't have speedstep

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,2)</string>
<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x800x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I've been able to use the combo update to 10.6.6 and install it without problems. Just some issues still:

1. I'm not able to resume from Sleep, as I didn't think I needed sleepenabler with the ANYCPU DSDT file. Should I use that file? Is it worth creating a specific DSDT for my CPU (T8100)

2. Anyone have a fix for the Shutdown issue with Nvidia boards?

3. Any progress on the Ethernet?

Thanks

Hey guys, back after posting more than 10

I've been able to use the combo update to 10.6.6 and install it without problems. Just some issues still:

1. I'm not able to resume from Sleep, as I didn't think I needed sleepenabler with the ANYCPU DSDT file. Should I use that file? Is it worth creating a specific DSDT for my CPU (T8100)

2. Anyone have a fix for the Shutdown issue with Nvidia boards?

3. Any progress on the Ethernet?

Thanks

1. Refer to post 542 on the DSDT thread to fix the sleep:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...780&st=540#

(will sleep to ram only, hibernate will not work)

2. Shutdown works on M1530 but not M1330. If someone got it working on a M1330 please let me know!

3. Pretty positive the answer is no on the Ethernet on M1330. I use the Mac USB dongle intended for MacBook airs.

1. Refer to post 542 on the DSDT thread to fix the sleep:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...780&st=540#

(will sleep to ram only, hibernate will not work)

2. Shutdown works on M1530 but not M1330. If someone got it working on a M1330 please let me know!

3. Pretty positive the answer is no on the Ethernet on M1330. I use the Mac USB dongle intended for MacBook airs.

1. Thanks for the solution, sleep/resume work great right now. How much power does stanby on RAM sip on your experience?

1a) In the same post (#542) you mention a boot string for com.apple.Boot.plist for chameleon

<key>SystemType</key>

<string>2</string>

Should I insert that into mine?

2. It's too bad the DS3 fixes don't work for us, it would be great to have shutdown, it would make our laptops perfect.

3. Good idea on the Macbook Air dongle, I should ebay some, see how much they run, could be useful in the future.

Thanks for your quick reply!

1a) In the same post (#542) you mention a boot string for com.apple.Boot.plist for chameleon

<key>SystemType</key>

<string>2</string>

Should I insert that into mine?

It's actually dlach's post. I don't use it myself.

Thanks for your quick reply!

NP

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

ive installed Mac Os X again on my M1530, after Windows 7 Ultimate annoying me :D

last time i installed via Dell-Bootloader V0.5 + Vanilla Install Snow Leopard.

worked Fine for me, but after Updating to 10.6.5 ive got only Kernel Panics. That was the Point when i deinstalled Mac OS X. Now i installed with iAtkos V7 (thaught that would be the latest Version) and upgraded to 10.5.8. Then i realized that i cannot upgrade to 10.6 -.-* So again, i installed Vanilla, but this time with the kexts ive found on the iAtkos Disc, because ive found a good Setup in the Internet for the M1530, which is this:

List of checked items:

-iAtkos v7 Main system

-Bootloader

--Chameleon v2

-X86

--/Extra directory

--DSDT

--Decrypters

---AppleDecrypt

-SMBIOS Drivers

--SMBIOS Enablers

---SMBIOS-EFI Air

-Disabler

-OHR

-Drivers

--VGA

---nVidia

----EFI string for nVidia

-----DVI/VGA

----Enablers

-----Old Enablers

------NVInject Mobile

-System

--SATA/IDE

---Intel SATA/IDE

-Intel SpeedStep

--Speedstep Driver

-Sound

--Voodoo HDA driver

-PS/2 mouse/keyboard

--Voodoo PS/2 driver with Trackpad plugin

-Laptop Battery

-NTFS-3G

-Network

--Wired

---Marvel

----Marvel Yukon 88E8001

-Post-Install Actions

---------------

But i had some Trouble to find all Kexts (some named different on the disc...) So i dont think, that my xps works such smooth like with the iAtkos V7 on 10.5.8. And i think it hasnt realized the DualCore yet. (which iAtkos did.)

Things that didnt work right now:

1. Wifi (bought an Broadcom Wifi Card yesterday, should work than.)

2. Shutdown, Restart, Sleep (are there any solutions for 10.6.6?! i have some troubles to find them :( )

3. Media-Keys (got Kernel-Panic, but bigger Problem: The Mouse seems to have Turbo-Mode enabled after installing?!) - I dont care, use an external Keyboard with working Media-Keys :(

4. The internal Mic seems not to work. But the output on the front does.

Everything Else works fine for me, even DVI and HDMI (Sound via HDMI not tested yet)

If you have any Solutions for one of my problems, please feel free to give some instructions or an advice ;)

I also got iAtkos S3 today, maybe i will make one of my external HDDs to an TimeMachine and reinstall Mac OS X once again with iAtkos S3. Could this make some trouble? (Reinstall + BackUp; Kexts, etc?!)

Thanks for reading and please excuse my crappy english :)

Cheers

Fred

Hi again,

ive installed Mac Os X again on my M1530, after Windows 7 Ultimate annoying me :D

last time i installed via Dell-Bootloader V0.5 + Vanilla Install Snow Leopard.

worked Fine for me, but after Updating to 10.6.5 ive got only Kernel Panics. That was the Point when i deinstalled Mac OS X. Now i installed with iAtkos V7 (thaught that would be the latest Version) and upgraded to 10.5.8. Then i realized that i cannot upgrade to 10.6 -.-* So again, i installed Vanilla, but this time with the kexts ive found on the iAtkos Disc, because ive found a good Setup in the Internet for the M1530, which is this:

But i had some Trouble to find all Kexts (some named different on the disc...) So i dont think, that my xps works such smooth like with the iAtkos V7 on 10.5.8. And i think it hasnt realized the DualCore yet. (which iAtkos did.)

Things that didnt work right now:

1. Wifi (bought an Broadcom Wifi Card yesterday, should work than.)

2. Shutdown, Restart, Sleep (are there any solutions for 10.6.6?! i have some troubles to find them ;) )

3. Media-Keys (got Kernel-Panic, but bigger Problem: The Mouse seems to have Turbo-Mode enabled after installing?!) - I dont care, use an external Keyboard with working Media-Keys ;)

4. The internal Mic seems not to work. But the output on the front does.

Everything Else works fine for me, even DVI and HDMI (Sound via HDMI not tested yet)

If you have any Solutions for one of my problems, please feel free to give some instructions or an advice ;)

I also got iAtkos S3 today, maybe i will make one of my external HDDs to an TimeMachine and reinstall Mac OS X once again with iAtkos S3. Could this make some trouble? (Reinstall + BackUp; Kexts, etc?!)

Thanks for reading and please excuse my crappy english :)

Cheers

Fred

Use the ANYCPU DSDT for the M1530 in the DSDT thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780 for the shutdown/restart fix for your M1530, too bad there's none for M1330's :-(

Hi, i downloaded the anycpu DSDT.aml File, but i have no idea how to integrate that into my system :)

i searched around the web and got no clear answer, it says that the File is located in / or in /Extras but i cant find it, even with hidden Files activated.

btw, thanks for your quick reply and that awesome news, finally i will be able to shutdown xD Im sure, that the M1330 dsdt will run in near Future, too :)

Hi, i downloaded the anycpu DSDT.aml File, but i have no idea how to integrate that into my system :)

i searched around the web and got no clear answer, it says that the File is located in / or in /Extras but i cant find it, even with hidden Files activated.

btw, thanks for your quick reply and that awesome news, finally i will be able to shutdown xD Im sure, that the M1330 dsdt will run in near Future, too :)

You just put the DSDT.aml file in /Extra on your hard drive.

I have an almost perfectly working XPS M1530, 10.6.6 retail. As do many other people. Sleep doesn't work for me unfortunately.

You just put the DSDT.aml file in /Extra on your hard drive.

I have an almost perfectly working XPS M1530, 10.6.6 retail. As do many other people. Sleep doesn't work for me unfortunately.

Thanks, i will try it out right now :(

How did you installed SL on your M1530? Vanilla, iAtkos, etc...?

i want to find out the best way for a perfect system, even if it takes a little bit longer than other install methods.

More Over, Maybe you can give us some Informations about your Install-Checks (like i did :) ) and addintional kexts? :)

//Edit: ok, i put the DSDT.aml into the /Extra folder, but it seems not to be recognized. Do i have to edit the com.apple.Boot.plist?

Cheers

Fred

Hi, ok i think, that the DSDT file works now, i can shutdown and sleep, but not restart. when the laptop was in sleep-mode i have no internet-connection anymore. maybe this will outdate itself when i install the dw1390....

is it normal that mac os x do not recognize my cpu? in "About this Mac" the information is only:

Processor: 2.1 GHz Unknown

Ram is recognized right.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey i know people still read this thread and i wanted to give some words of encouragement, you can do this, if you have an m1330 you should download a copy of [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] or another bootloader that works (lots dont) install vanilla (go to a apple store cheapskate :([ps you dont have to worry about a bad burn from windows that way either]) get a dsdt that works, and voodoo kexts and prefpanes, and a couple other random kexts (for ethernet... ive uploaded my dsdt [for the x3100 gfx card] over on the dsdt guide section, and there are plenty others that have uploaded theres ) and you will have a awesome running copy of osx 10.6.6.... right now even vmware with windows 7 ult pro 64 is runnin with full areo in the background (got some games i want to try and run;))...even have a virtual drive (daemon tools) installed on the windows side (seriously, time to integrate ya' think mr gates?)... bout to try and play some cod4 to test it out (hopes not so high lol)

just dont give up u can do it, and if u need help, get at me or (better yet) one of the actual (i dont think i qualify) gurus that inhabit this and many other sights...

and one last thing, if you dont know how to boot from a cd to begin, this is quite a bit over your head (i seriously read a question someone posted regarding this exact problem at some point in my osx reading..[dont post q's till u read :(] almost died of laughter induced heart attack and proceeded to secretly mock him on my facebook [i know its wrong i was completely retarded about computers at one point {7 or 8 yrs i think:P} too])

good luck all... im here to help with the c state testing thing when someone smarter than me is ready to work with me...;)

hey, just installed Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Retail in my XPS 1330, 100% except restart/shutdown/sleep issues, even ethernet, now I have a question, any of you have upgraded to 10.6.7? any issue? need to reinstall any kext?

regards.

just updated my m1330 to osx 10.6.7 without a single hitch... all i did was download the basic update from apple (im already at 10.6.6, so y waste the time downloading the combo lol), run time machine, shutdown, turn back on, install update, click shutdown from the apple menu instead of the restart option given by the installer, waited 5 seconds, turned back on, hit -v to watch at the chameleon screen, and presto 10.6.7. pretty sure all is well, but just installed it 5 min ago so ill let u know if i run across any problems...

to fix restart use evoreboot...i tried the chameleon fix and it was causing the supper-slow dell screen boot, make sure your running with a dsdt, a vanilla copy of osx, NO kexts such as sleep enabler or disabler, make sure your voodoo kexts are in system/Library/Extensions, and everything should work right as far as the update goes....

on my m1330 im gettin 4-5 hrs on a batery, i play cod4 for mac everyday, runs better than is did in windows 7 in a better resolution... i even have hibernate functioning, so use my method, i can post my dsdt, and my kexts if u want, as well as the bootloader i use... this delll makes a great mac...

• 3 weeks later...
just updated my m1330 to osx 10.6.7 without a single hitch... all i did was download the basic update from apple (im already at 10.6.6, so y waste the time downloading the combo lol), run time machine, shutdown, turn back on, install update, click shutdown from the apple menu instead of the restart option given by the installer, waited 5 seconds, turned back on, hit -v to watch at the chameleon screen, and presto 10.6.7. pretty sure all is well, but just installed it 5 min ago so ill let u know if i run across any problems...

to fix restart use evoreboot...i tried the chameleon fix and it was causing the supper-slow dell screen boot, make sure your running with a dsdt, a vanilla copy of osx, NO kexts such as sleep enabler or disabler, make sure your voodoo kexts are in system/Library/Extensions, and everything should work right as far as the update goes....

on my m1330 im gettin 4-5 hrs on a batery, i play cod4 for mac everyday, runs better than is did in windows 7 in a better resolution... i even have hibernate functioning, so use my method, i can post my dsdt, and my kexts if u want, as well as the bootloader i use... this delll makes a great mac...

love your pic, don't love your idea to use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Follow immo's guide and do a retail install. You won't have sleep or shutdown issues, everything just work except reboot.

EDIT: I did search this thread but cos some stuff is so old, i didnt no if the ideas where still working or if new things had replaced them.. thanks.

hey all

love the site, very helpful.

need some advice though.

i Got a dell m1330, 32bit.

i used, iATKOS S3 DVD, Mac os X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 10D573 to install, with the following added options

Bootloader:

AsereBLN v1.1.9

Bootloader Options:

Graphics Enabler

32-bit boot option

Patches:

/Extra directory

fakesmc

disabler

RTC (32-bit)

EVO Reboot

Drivers:

AHCI Sata

Main/PS2/

Voodoo P-state

Laptop Battery

ACPI thermal 32-bit

NTFS 3G

Network/Wireless/Broadcom driver

I have also now updated to 10.6.7 osx through the Software update.

THE PROBLEM(s)

i cant restart/shutdown/sleep - just goes to black screen

Closing the lid also does nothing.

if anyone has a fix for these that WONT mess up my system (as iv had to reinstall about 20 times to get everything working right), that would be amazing!

Thanks in advance!