[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

With VoodooHDA you have to remove AppleHDA after every Apple System update, so that is very likely your problem. It is probably a good idea to back it up before deleting. After deleting you have to clear/rebuild the extension cache or it won't have any effect, use Kext Utility.

Both VoodooHDA and VoodooSDHC (for the card reader) need to be installed in /System/Library/Extensions. You should probably use Kext Utility to do this as it will clear and rebuild the caches for you.

Make sure you use the System Preference to set the sound output. With some 1330s the sound works on headphones but not speakers, if your m1330 is one of those and you care, look back in this thread for instructions from me on how to use a different method, but if it used to work, then you probably don't need to.

Following these instructions should solve both of your problems.

Good luck.

PS This thread is not dead but sometimes people get particular about answering questions which have already been answered. The info about removing AppleHDA is pretty widely documented. I found that the info about putting VoodooSDHC in /S/L/E was not that well documented.

Ahh, I should have put that in my post. I had already deleted applehda and I also had tried both s/l/e and extra/extensions for the location of voodoohda, but neither worked. Right now I have it in s/l/e. I also don't get any audio through headphones. I also deleted the prefpane I had before and installed another, more recent one, but that one gives me "cannot get registry-entry path". Would you be able to provide me a copy of your voodoohda and prefpane file?

EDIT: Turns out I was using the wrong kext. I went to superhai's guide and downloaded each kext and checked them all and it just so happened that one of them worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

can someone help me to resolve problem with original Apple WiFi card AR5BXB6 on Dell XPS m1530 (T4200, GF8400M) under Snow Leopard.

A have try almost all patches, fixes, card slot change and kexts posted on this forum but without success.

Almost everything else work great, which include:

- Ethernet lan - out of the box

- Sound - with latest VoodoHDA

- Sleep, reboot, shutdown - few DSDT fixes and self-compiled mozodojo latest branch of Chameleon (AKA Chameleon RC5)

- FireWire including power state - few DSDT fixes

Here are my current setup:

- Original (vanilla) kernel

- Snow Leopard 10.6.4

- Chameleon 2 RC5 branch by mozodojo

- Original Apple Mini PCI-E WiFi card (taken from MacMini) model AR5BXB6 (168c:001c)

- Card properties: class_id = 0200, subven_id: 106b, subdev_id: 0086

- Using IO80211Family.kext 10.6.5 beta driver

System profiler under PCI Cards show following:

ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller

Driver Installed: No

Bus: PCI

Slot: PCI Slot 2

Vendor ID: 0x168c

Device ID: 0x001c

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x106b

Subsystem ID: 0x0086

Revision ID: 0x0001

Link Width: x1

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

The problem is, kext for WiFi try to load but end with following error in kernel.log:

Error: offset_0x100 = 0xffffffff

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros9380/AirPortDriverAtheros9380-424.14.5/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:962] load failed

Same thing happened when using IO80211Family.kext stock driver from 10.6.4 and 10.6.0 but error show different line number instead 962.

I have try another AR5BXB6 card from different vendor (which work in MacMini) but all the same.

I did not try rebranding method as this is already original Apple card.

The problem here, as I can conclude, is in different PCI/E slot handling by OS, probably different IO address range for this device then driver expect.

One thing that I notice (maybe help) which is different than in MacMini, PCI slot where card is placed is identified as "PCI Slot 2" while in Mac Mini is "AirPort".

Is there any way to fix this issue? Maybe some DSDT fix regarding PCI slot?

For reference, I'm linking my DSDT and Chameleon 2 RC5 (maybe someone can use to fix its sleep problem):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=234638

Are there any news about HDMI on the M1530 with the Geforce 8600? I would love to hear that anyone got it to work.

luggi

[Edit]

Ok bought a HDMI -> DVI Adapter seams to be the only why to avoid VGA on a 1080p Display. (VGA looks like sh*t)

Are there any news about HDMI on the M1530 with the Geforce 8600? I would love to hear that anyone got it to work.

luggi

[Edit]

Ok bought a HDMI -> DVI Adapter seams to be the only why to avoid VGA on a 1080p Display. (VGA looks like sh*t)

I know it's late but here's a link to get HDMI working on the M1530

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231783

Does someone know anything about power managing ?

I'm kinda new in this world but manage to install SL with almost everything working... all i'm missing is TrackPad scrolling (tap kinda work after a wake.. wierd.. LOL) and battery life.. gosh SL is eating my battery so fast.. in Windows at 100% i could last 2.5 hours.. and in OSX, at 100% i have 1 hour. wtf ?

Can you guys help ? thanks!

EDIT: Oh yeah.. im on M1530 ,T7500, 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 8600M GT.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiii..I`m new in this project and not so good on cpters,but I interested to have it working on a dell like urs,just one diference,my pc have a intel ® Wireless wifi link 4965AGN. And Istill having problem with the wireless and shutdown/restart/sleep,I tryed ideneb 10.5.5 / 10.5.7,and now iatkos 10.5.8,but i don`t know for sure what I have to customize,and if this one is the better version for my pc...hehehe,I`m trying that for a month,also can`t remenber how many times reformat it..thanks man.rdanga2004@yahoo.com.br

Dell M1330 lost sound after motherboard change. I'm searching threads now but no luck so far. The motherboard was under warranty and supposed to be an exact replacement from Dell. My apple OS had been working for over a year so I'm rusty on what info I need to supply to be more helpful in my post. I'm running the latest snow leopard and dual booting Win 7.

The one of two headphone jacks work but the internal speakers are what stopped working after the hardware change. Thank you in advance for your help.

Danny

Dell M1330 lost sound after motherboard change. I'm searching threads now but no luck so far. The motherboard was under warranty and supposed to be an exact replacement from Dell. My apple OS had been working for over a year so I'm rusty on what info I need to supply to be more helpful in my post. I'm running the latest snow leopard and dual booting Win 7.

The one of two headphone jacks work but the internal speakers are what stopped working after the hardware change. Thank you in advance for your help.

Danny

know problem with newer model m1330s. VoodooHDA doesn't work over the speakers. I posted here earlier with a link and also posted a link on immo dsdt thread HERE

I used the superhai boot cd from the previous page and it gives me an "ebios read error" and goes back to booting windows

can someone plz help me with this?

Thanks

Do you see a chameleon bootloader screen load?

at bootloader, eject CD, insert install DVD. F5 to refresh after DVD is in, and make sure your choice reads "Install Mac OSX". wait to select until you hear DVD spinning.

Do you see a chameleon bootloader screen load?

at bootloader, eject CD, insert install DVD. F5 to refresh after DVD is in, and make sure your choice reads "Install Mac OSX". wait to select until you hear DVD spinning.

nope,I dont see the chameleon bootloader screen load.

I had also tried using the generic osx86 bootloader cd and the install continues till the screen showing

" Loading Darwinx86"

with a blinking cursor below it.

The install doesnt go any further after that.

• 3 weeks later...
nope,I dont see the chameleon bootloader screen load.

I had also tried using the generic osx86 bootloader cd and the install continues till the screen showing

" Loading Darwinx86"

with a blinking cursor below it.

The install doesnt go any further after that.

Sounds like your boot image didn't get burned correctly. How did you create the ISO?

• 2 weeks later...

I've just (re)installed a frsh vanilla 10.6 + Combo 10.6.5 and..

Chameleon RC5

+ VoodooHDA in /S/L/E

+ AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext in /E/E

+ fakesmc.kext

+ SoftSMC.kext (Do I really need two SMC kexts?)

+ mapMemoryDriver.kext (nvClock)

+ VoodooPS2.kext

com.apple.Boot.plist

------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>GUI</key>

<string>no</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

VoodooHDA won't keep settings. Especially "SSE2" that removes clicks and scratches. Tried the volume trick with the plist file. No SSE2 entry available :D

dlach, may I ask why you use AppleHDA instead of VoodooHDA? Is their a big difference? and your FakeSMC is in /S/L/E? Why? Mine is in /E/E and seems to work.

I've just (re)installed a frsh vanilla 10.6 + Combo 10.6.5 and..

Chameleon RC5

+ VoodooHDA in /S/L/E

+ AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext in /E/E

+ fakesmc.kext

+ SoftSMC.kext (Do I really need two SMC kexts?)

+ mapMemoryDriver.kext (nvClock)

+ VoodooPS2.kext

com.apple.Boot.plist

------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>GUI</key>

<string>no</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

VoodooHDA won't keep settings. Especially "SSE2" that removes clicks and scratches. Tried the volume trick with the plist file. No SSE2 entry available :(

dlach, may I ask why you use AppleHDA instead of VoodooHDA? Is their a big difference? and your FakeSMC is in /S/L/E? Why? Mine is in /E/E and seems to work.

VoodooHDA is probably better for 1530 because of built-in mic support. That said I don't have clicks and scratches and I use AppleHDA because VoodooHDA doesn't work on some newer models of 1330 which I also have. You don't need fakesmc AND softsmc. Softsmc was created I believe by SuperHai for sensor monitoring so if you aren't doing that you can ditch it if you are, then you can ditch fakesmc. My fakeSMC is in S/L/E because it is a particular version created by MozoDojo and modified by Slice to do sensor monitoring.

Where did you get the applebattermanager.kext you use? I use VoodooBattery and would like to ditch it for something that lives in /E/E/.

you might want to try the new Chameleon.

VoodooHDA is probably better for 1530 because of built-in mic support. That said I don't have clicks and scratches and I use AppleHDA because VoodooHDA doesn't work on some newer models of 1330 which I also have. You don't need fakesmc AND softsmc. Softsmc was created I believe by SuperHai for sensor monitoring so if you aren't doing that you can ditch it if you are, then you can ditch fakesmc. My fakeSMC is in S/L/E because it is a particular version created by MozoDojo and modified by Slice to do sensor monitoring.

Where did you get the applebattermanager.kext you use? I use VoodooBattery and would like to ditch it for something that lives in /E/E/.

you might want to try the new Chameleon.

I second that question. I was under the impression that the AppleBatteryManager.kext is not available in x64, or are you running it in the 32 bit mode?

Also, dlach, the VoodooBattery.kext does successfully load from the /Extra/Extensions/ directory.

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext in /E/E does work, and I'am running 64bits ( 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes). Removing it removes the battery icon in the menubar. > http://www.multiupload.com/MJS31XAEHR

I've removed fakesmc.kext as I still have sensor readouts without it. Only softsmc.kext in /E/E gives me: Ambient, Ambient2, Battery location1, Enclosure, WD HDD temp and Dell-l8k fan rpm. In iStat Menus.

So why do you have fakesmc.kext in /S/L/E? And do you have other readout points? And this SMC is only for sensor readouts or more?

I'm currently using Chameleon 2.0.0 RC5, the latest? Any better one?

System info.app only shows kexts loaded in /S/L/E and not the ones in /E/E. Any other way to find out which ones are loaded?

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext in /E/E does work, and I'am running 64bits ( 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes). Removing it removes the battery icon in the menubar. > http://www.multiupload.com/MJS31XAEHR

I've removed fakesmc.kext as I still have sensor readouts without it. Only softsmc.kext in /E/E gives me: Ambient, Ambient2, Battery location1, Enclosure, WD HDD temp and Dell-l8k fan rpm. In iStat Menus.

So why do you have fakesmc.kext in /S/L/E? And do you have other readout points? And this SMC is only for sensor readouts or more?

I'm currently using Chameleon 2.0.0 RC5, the latest? Any better one?

System info.app only shows kexts loaded in /S/L/E and not the ones in /E/E. Any other way to find out which ones are loaded?

I'll give that AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext a try; the previous one I tried on the SL, gave me a KP. Would you mind sharing your SoftSMC.kext along with your iStat temperature screenshot? I've never heard of it and would like to take a look at it.

I am using the FakeSMC.kext with hardware monitor sensor plugins by Slice and others:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showforum=165

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206

Also, I believe that the Chameleon 2 RC5 is the best boot loader for our rigs.

Edit: Devtone, your AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext works as intended, Thanks! Where did you obtain it or did you personally modify it?

I'll give that AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext a try; the previous one I tried on the SL, gave me a KP. Would you mind sharing your SoftSMC.kext along with your iStat temperature screenshot? I've never heard of it and would like to take a look at it.

I am using the FakeSMC.kext with hardware monitor sensor plugins by Slice and others:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showforum=165

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206

Also, I believe that the Chameleon 2 RC5 is the best boot loader for our rigs.

Edit: Devtone, your AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext works as intended, Thanks! Where did you obtain it or did you personally modify it?

I have seriously no idea dude. I've tried to many, most of them googled to know where exactly I got them from.

Can you please share your SMC, you have a lot more readouts. I like :D

At this point I not using any fakeSMC, without KP's..

Anyway, my /E/E softSMC.kext SoftSMC.kext.zip

And screenshot;

post-629987-1294320018_thumb.png

I have seriously no idea dude. I've tried to many, most of them googled to know where exactly I got them from.

Can you please share your SMC, you have a lot more readouts. I like :D

At this point I not using any fakeSMC, without KP's..

Anyway, my /E/E softSMC.kext SoftSMC.kext.zip

And screenshot;

post-629987-1294320018_thumb.png

Take a look inside the kext's plugins folder to determine if your system requires the included sensor plugins. The ones included in the kext, I have compiled and modified myself to fit the parameters of my own system. Installs in the /System/Library/Extensions/ directory.

FakeSMC.kext.zip

Take a look inside the kext's plugins folder to determine if your system requires the included sensor plugins. The ones included in the kext, I have compiled and modified myself to fit the parameters of my own system. Installs in the /System/Library/Extensions/ directory.

As we have the same motherboard and gpu, it should work without editing?

Updated to 10.6.6.6 with no problems.

As we have the same motherboard and gpu, it should work without editing?

Updated to 1.6.6.6 with no problems.

It should but there is only one way to find out...

By the way, here is the link to the latest version 3.1.0 of the FakeSMC with the HWSensors plugins.

This one is raw and unmodified requiring personalized system adjustments, it installs in the /Extra/Extensions/ directory.

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...ost&id=3014

By "Updated to 1.6.6.6 with no problems", what are referring to precisely?

It should but there is only one way to find out...

By the way, here is the link to the latest version 3.1.0 of the FakeSMC with the HWSensors plugins.

This one is raw and unmodified requiring personalized system adjustments, it installs in the /Extra/Extensions/ directory.

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...ost&id=3014

By "Updated to 1.6.6.6 with no problems", what are referring to precisely?

Tried yours, my fan is 970rpm all the time.. Ill try the others.

update 10.6.6, forgot the 0 and one 6 to much :(

successfully intalled iatkos s3v2 on my xps m1300. here what i chose

bootloader : RC 5

bootloader option : 32bit

quiet boot

legacy logo

patches : extra, fakesmc, disabler, rtc (32bit)

kernels : 10.3.0

evo reboot

sleep enabler

usb

uuid (optional)

display : natit

driver : sata/ide : AHCI SATA, sound : voodhooHDa, ps2 :voodhoo PS

CPU management : voodhoo power

wireless : broadcom

wired : realtek

language : optional (choose what u want)

everything work fine, except webcam, shutdown/restart, and i cant run my iMovie due to my graphic card is not compatible with quartz extreme.. (???)

succesfully updated to 10.6.4 without any problem.

updated my safari from v4 to v5.03

updated my itunesgrey_loader.gif to v10

currently the Preview app dont work, keep crash sad.gif. does anyone knw how to fix this?