[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

So it turns out I am having video driver issues.

Occasionally I am able to "wake up" the all black screen, but I have not been able to every successfully boot a second time into SL and see the screen. When I attach an external monitor I can see that SL has successfully booted up, but the external is default set to the secondary so I can't do anything.

Anybody have any ideas for what I can do? I have found a modified dsdt which is supposed to work but don't know how to replace the old one without reinstalling SL so I can see the primary monitor again.

Are there any keyboard shortcuts which might allow me to swap the displays (or any other idea which would let me swap out the dsdt)

i have a dell XPS m1530 with a 8600M GT. i have snow leopard retail and updated to 10.6.2 installed and working but i cant get the card to show up, The "about this Mac" page just says this under graphics/display

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0407

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

And because of this I only have one resolution setting in display options and cant change the resolution when I use the HDMI output on the laptop and don't have the transparency effect option for the menubar ( don't know if that's related )

I have tried a number of things but so far nothing has worked

can you help?

Thanks

Alex

I am triple booting with windows 7/leopard and snow leopard. I have not got a bootloader on snow leopard yet. I tried the chameleon 2 installer but it wouldn't load. It did load onto my leopard partition though. Any thoughts? My snow leopard is a retail upgrade. My system is m1330 and leopard was iatkos5

So it turns out I am having video driver issues.

Occasionally I am able to "wake up" the all black screen, but I have not been able to every successfully boot a second time into SL and see the screen. When I attach an external monitor I can see that SL has successfully booted up, but the external is default set to the secondary so I can't do anything.

Anybody have any ideas for what I can do? I have found a modified dsdt which is supposed to work but don't know how to replace the old one without reinstalling SL so I can see the primary monitor again.

Are there any keyboard shortcuts which might allow me to swap the displays (or any other idea which would let me swap out the dsdt)

Sounds like you have an X3100 GPU like me. I didn't install on to a MBR partition, I created a GPT partition. I then did the following:

Follow this guide by immo to create a DSDT file.

Then follow this post from step 12a.

Then make sure you boot in 32 bit mode. I think 64bit works but it won't wake up from sleep and the screensaver won't work.

I was able to boot with no issues, but the screen resolution was wrong. Once I upgraded to 10.6.2, the correct drivers were there for this GPU.

(distro works on mbr!) Hey guys. if you use this distro you can get snow leopard on a dell xps m1530 very easily. my wifi does work! forget the 6 it is just a typing error google it since i cant post the linkSnowOSXUniFlash1.0.img 6

Sounds like you have an X3100 GPU like me. I didn't install on to a MBR partition, I created a GPT partition. I then did the following:

Follow this guide by immo to create a DSDT file.

Then follow this post from step 12a.

Then make sure you boot in 32 bit mode. I think 64bit works but it won't wake up from sleep and the screensaver won't work.

I was able to boot with no issues, but the screen resolution was wrong. Once I upgraded to 10.6.2, the correct drivers were there for this GPU.

(distro works on mbr!) Hey guys. if you use this distro you can get snow leopard on a dell xps m1530 very easily. my wifi does work! forget the 6 it is just a typing error google it since i cant post the linkSnowOSXUniFlash1.0.img 6

It's true that you can get snow leopard working with a distro without too much trouble, but the issues come later when Apple releases updates. Been there done that. It's hard to predict what the distro changes from stock, and most of the people here who can offer help use vanilla installs, so if an upgrade fails, you will have a very hard time finding help. And it's far more likely to fail when components are changed from the standard. Not to mention OS-X is a great product that should be paid for.

The best method is to use Superhai's boot CD to install from a retail CD, and then use a DSDT made for M1330 or M1530 (which can be found on my topic found in my sig). Unfortunately it does require a hard drive formatted in GUID, but at least that forces you to make a new backup of everything on your computer.

Immo

hi

@ luggi and @ Urthwhyte,

you guys wrote you have got snow leopard running on your m1530. does that include the "shutdown", too? for me it's very important to know if shutdown works now, because that's the reason why i didn't install macOSX in the past.

I would be very thankful if you gave me an answer :)

thanx

I dont think they will ever resolve that issue in Laptops. It has something to do with the graphics cards/drivers.

If I unload my GFX so there is no acceleration then shutdown works 100% for me at least. Until Chameleon (EFI) or some other group figures out a way to unload the driver before CPU is unloaded and drives are dismounted during the shutdown procedure, then maybe.

I've got a m1530 working great with SuperHai's method and Brett's universal DSDT. I got a m1330 for my wife (let's not EVEN discuss the wisdom of this act) and followed all of the bits for a m1330 retail install with the universal m1330 DSDT and /Extra/Extensions. Everything is great except I have two issues:

1) I get no sound from the internal speakers. I think I have the problem slashhack is beating the drums for and it may be a long row to hoe.

2) After resuming from sleep, when I open a finder window, the scroll bar won't stay at the bottom of the window. If I grab the scroll bar or use the arrows to try to get to the bottom of say, the applications listing, it jumps back up about 1/3 of the way. Anyone else see this/have a workaround?

PS. I now regret not paying attention to the shutdown/hibernate issue with these hacks, it never bothered me on my 1530 but espousal units really just want things to work and one of the things that should work is hibernate. Otherwise she is happy with it despite no internal speakers. Much lighter than a real MBP and that was her chief argument against it.

Config details:

I have voodHDA 2.5.2 in /S/L/E (removed AppleHDA). In /E/E I have:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

OSXRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SoftSMC.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooMonitor.kext

VoodooSDHC.kext

VoodooTSCSync.kext

and am using Chameleon 2 RC4 with the uuid bits in com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist as well as the MBP 5.1 settings to match with the DSDT.

@dlach: hi, you wrote that your hibernate-function should pretty well. does your hibernate work? that means: after hibernate your dell and then pressing the power-button again ... does your system start perfectly and without any errors?

i don't necessarily need this shutdown-functions, too but i am looking for a way to get my system down after using it. what i did do in the past (when i had iatkos installed the last time) was to shutdown the system with the shutdown-function. then the system turned of the monitor but was still not shutdowned. when i now wanted to restart the system by pressing the power-button, nothing works. of course because nothing was shutdowned. so i needed to press the power-button for a few seconds after shutdown to turn of the system. but i guess it's pretty anoying to hold this power-button for some seconds to shutdown the system. that's the reason why i don't use it right now.

but maybe there is something like a workaround. to bring the system into hibernate-state means at least to shut it down in some way. if it works (i mean hibernate) please let me know.

Otherwise. How do you guys turn off your xps m1530?

Thank you for your help guys :D

@dlach: hi, you wrote that your hibernate-function should pretty well. does your hibernate work? that means: after hibernate your dell and then pressing the power-button again ... does your system start perfectly and without any errors?

i don't necessarily need this shutdown-functions, too but i am looking for a way to get my system down after using it. what i did do in the past (when i had iatkos installed the last time) was to shutdown the system with the shutdown-function. then the system turned of the monitor but was still not shutdowned. when i now wanted to restart the system by pressing the power-button, nothing works. of course because nothing was shutdowned. so i needed to press the power-button for a few seconds after shutdown to turn of the system. but i guess it's pretty anoying to hold this power-button for some seconds to shutdown the system. that's the reason why i don't use it right now.

but maybe there is something like a workaround. to bring the system into hibernate-state means at least to shut it down in some way. if it works (i mean hibernate) please let me know.

Otherwise. How do you guys turn off your xps m1530?

Thank you for your help guys :(

Well so, here is my assessment which may or may not be correct. Hibernate AKA deep sleep is composed of suspending to disk and then shutting down. So no, hibernate doesn't completely work because the system doesn't power off and if you ignore it and don't hold the power button down until it powers of, you will drain your battery if it isn't plugged in to the mains. What does does appear to work is resuming from disk. So I think the bottom line is shutdown doesn't work hence hibernate doesn't work.

This is a well known issue apparently having to do with the Nvidia graphics which works differently on Apple Macbooks with the same chipset than it does on our m1330/m1530 laptops. I hear people say time and time again that they don't expect the problem to ever be solved. However, I note that MasterChief got his OSXrestart kext to work so I'm not sure what the difference between shutting down and restarting vs. just shutting down.

ok, thank you dlach for the information.

i mean. i am windows-user or linux as well. when i need to shutdown these systems it's easy to write a program in c++ (for example) to shutdown windows for example. to write shutdown-progs for linux is also no hard stuff.

so i thought. maybe there is anybody out there who really know how to write programs for hackintosh and who also know how to create programs which are able to control all the hardware because OSX is kind of unix. i don't know very much about the hackintosh-system. when i installed it the first time, it was also the first time i have ever heard something of "kext-files". so i am a real noob.

but thank you very much for all the information.

Hi Guys,

I'm a new hackintosh user, and I'm trying to get Audio working on my Dell XPS m1330. I installed the VoodooHDA package, and it gave jittery/squeaky non-sound. I tried installing the patched 9228 drivers, but I'm still getting the same result. Can anyone help me out please?

Can anyone tell me how to get the audio working thru the speakers on a dell m1330? I have to get that part of the lappy done and it will be 100% functional (for me at least.)

If you tell me to do some stuff with kexts or audio codec dumping, just briefly outline what it is exactly I have to do becuase I might just be missing something with the steps to install a kext maybe.

THanks everyone here on this forum for helping!!!

Can anyone tell me how to get the audio working thru the speakers on a dell m1330? I have to get that part of the lappy done and it will be 100% functional (for me at least.)

If you tell me to do some stuff with kexts or audio codec dumping, just briefly outline what it is exactly I have to do becuase I might just be missing something with the steps to install a kext maybe.

THanks everyone here on this forum for helping!!!

Did you install slice's VoodooHDA.kext into /System/Library/Extensions (you want to backup and remove AppleHDA.kext first, then install using Kext Utility)? If so do you have sound working through the headphones or line out when selected in the System Preferences? If all of the above is true then you may have one of the m1330s that speakers the internal speakers aren't currently working correctly for with VoodooHDA. Check our slashhack's post a couple of pages ago.

Hey, I have hackintosh working great thanks to Superhai's boot cd, however I cannot figure out how to make it boot without the CD, I have chameleon rc3, however all tutorials tell me to copy the Extensions contents from the boot CD, but there is no such folder?

Could you please give me a brief step by step of how to boot without the CD?

Iam trying to triple boot OS X 10.5.1, Ubuntu 9.10 and Win7 ultimate x64.

EDIT: Oops, should have mentioned, I have an XPS M1330, 2.1GHz C2D, 3GB DDR2 ram, 250GB HDD, 8400M GS.

Thanks in advance, Stu.

Just thought I'd post this here as it helped me and my Inspiron 1720 massively

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=206313

Struggled for ages trying ot get usb to work reliably at boot, and it only did about 1 in 20 times. Tried all the suggested solutions - deleting interrupt assignments for other devices in the DSDT etc and nothing worked. The above post solved it for me - you actually need to add extra interrupt assignments for the HPET device, to stop it stealing the interrupts that the usb devices need.

Andy.

Trackpad has been moved into its own prefpane on all Apple notebooks. It requires a device with certain id to be present in order to show up.

Easy way:

If you want to get the new trackpad prefpane, remove /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Trackpad.prefpane and put this into /Library/PreferencePanes.

Trackpad.prefPane.zip (removed the useless gesture videos, so it takes less space)

Explanation:

Basically what you need to remove is NSPrefPaneIOServiceAttributesToMatch and NSPrefPaneIOServiceToMatch keys in Info.plist.

Hi,

:P It Works :) . I never expected it would work :D . Thank you very much

Hello all,

For the past few months Ive been dual booting my M1530 with Snow Leopard and Windows 7 without incident. Its been running strong with minor problems(no shutdown and occasional kernel panics) However, today a big problem has developed...

For the past two months I havent had a problem with putting the system to sleep. If I close the lid, it goes to sleep ok. Same with going from the Apple menu. However today, I put the system to sleep by closing the lid and the system rebooted itself. Once booted, I had no keyboard response, not even on the BIOS screen. The only way I was able to regain keyboard response was to shut the system down all the way and pull the battery and AC adapter. Further testing has shown the issue also occurs when I sleep it from the Apple menu or press the power button.

Im not sure what happened. Does anyone have any ideas? This is rather worrying as this is my only computer atm.

Any help greatly appreciated!