Acer Laptop users (Intel).

Detosx

572 posts in this topic

Detosx,

I managed to get Hybernation using 9.5.0 Vodoo Kernel form iPC install.

About boot issues, i have to restart twice (hard reset) to get it booting correctly. Sometimes restarting form inside OsX it's possible, and loads without complication, but complete shutdown and turning on again will get the reset-again issue.

And finally, the Hybernation comes with the audio issue. I'm using original ACL268 Kext, not Apple HDA customization for Acer One Netbooks.

Reporting my BCM4311 card working with the pin covering. By the way according to me it's not pin 20, it's pin 19.

Detosx,

About boot issues, i have to restart twice (hard reset) to get it booting correctly. Sometimes restarting form inside OsX it's possible, and loads without complication, but complete shutdown and turning on again will get the reset-again issue.

And finally, the Hybernation comes with the audio issue. I'm using original ACL268 Kext, not Apple HDA customization for Acer One Netbooks.

Reporting my BCM4311 card working with the pin covering. By the way according to me it's not pin 20, it's pin 19.

epuk,

i've installed voodoo kernel 9.5.0, but when i go into sleep i'll get kernel panic?

or maybe i have to install superhai's suite first?

can you help me please?

:(

Detosx,

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56015

My booting problem is more erratic than yours, I think. Sometimes I am able to boot up half a dozen times without incident. Other times bootup freezes on the grey-apple-on-white bootup page, with no spinning cog. -v prompt show it's a UUID propblem. I tried swapping hard drives but still the same problem.

That's a link to the pin 20 thread, double check you have the right pin :) (check post 59 for the picture - quote: "It's the one on the opposite side of the one in red (if you flip the card over. there's a pin labeled 18, it's right beside it). sorry don't have a cam on hand to take a picture of the back side"):-

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...56015&st=40

I just noticed you have since posted there, epuk! Also, I checked back, I did need to use IOPCIFamily.kext patched by Chun-Nan to get the card to be seen.

I am using the Collit/Madtux ALC268 which auto switches to headphones when you plug them. The audio issue when coming out of hibernation is a bother. I fortunately have a USB sound card that I can use as a workaround, but it is not ideal.

so what i have to do is first make sure that i have vanilla acpi and power managemen? im using vanilla kernel but how do i know if i have vanilla ACPI? and how about power management? do i have to download it first?

after that i just have to install the widget and the three kext supplied by superhai?

how about the usb fix? where can i get that?

thx detosx for your help once again :)

Hi redjaru, sorry, I have been trying to get my old account reinstated. I should state again that I got this working on my Acer 5620 and you would be as well, if you are using IPC, do to a clean install without selecting the ACPI fix or any powermanagement options. I believe you then are getting the vanilla of both acpi and power management. If you have selected power management options like battery, i.e Chan Nun's battery package, it apparently conflicts with Superhai's and, as I say, two battery icons show up together. Of more concern is any potential damage. The post I read wasn't specific about the 'conflict'.

Yes, if you have followed the above as I did, just install the three kexts from superhai, which includes the USB one. I am avoiding naming them but currently it is the first three listed in Superhai's projects :-

battery

power

usbehci

Install with kext helper, repair permissions, delete extensions mkext, reboot, pressing F8 to type -f . Now install the deep sleep widget and you should have a full and working hibernate when you click on it, apart from the sound problem.

I have what I call 'lid sleep'; you close the lid. When you open the lid up quickly to see what's going on the screen is black, the power LED flashes orange and the laptop seems to sleep. The problem is, when you wake it up, wi-fi doesn't work.

I will keep you posted. When I have more time I want to do a fresh install on the 4720z and try these things out on it.

Hi all,

I have updated my kalyway 10.5.1@10.5.5 to 10.5.6 with success. I just change my bootloader to chameleon and i've created a dsdt.aml but my network card (broadcom 440x) works only in safe mode. Someone can helpme with this issue?

Hi Smuxbr, I am not sure what's going on there. If you can't find a driver, I favor doing a fresh install using an up-to-date installer.

It's good to be back under my original user name. :)

Just a quick one to say that I haven't been able to get hibernate to work on the 4720z as I was on my 5620, despite following my own advice, but this isn't a clean install. For someone reason, despite having the restart/shutdown fix it take about 50 seconds to shutdown fully, this has been the case for some weeks and nothing to do with superhai's trio. If I have time, I will clean install tomorrow and get back to you.

It's good to be back under my original user name. ;)

Just a quick one to say that I haven't been able to get hibernate to work on the 4720z as I was on my 5620, despite following my own advice, but this isn't a clean install. For someone reason, despite having the restart/shutdown fix it take about 50 seconds to shutdown fully, this has been the case for some weeks and nothing to do with superhai's trio. If I have time, I will clean install tomorrow and get back to you.

Glad to know that detosx is back =)

I tried superhai's trio but that unfortunately doesnt work...the screen goes black but thats all,the system still turned on..

About shutdown/restart delay problem i have it too..but as far as i can remember,i dont have this problem on 10.5.5

Glad to know that detosx is back =)

I tried superhai's trio but that unfortunately doesnt work...the screen goes black but thats all,the system still turned on..

About shutdown/restart delay problem i have it too..but as far as i can remember,i dont have this problem on 10.5.5

I am just about to try and fresh install. I noticed I don't have sound on that laptop any more and I couldn't get it back. Another anomaly I had, when using the old finder from 10.5.5 was that the screensaver would come on even when I had it set to never. Repairing permissions sorted that out. This time I am going to trying 10.5.6.

I forgot there was a read me with one of those superhai's kexts. But even after I edited plist hibernation wouldn't work. I suspect the slow shutdown problem is making hibernate timeout. As you say, just a black screen with the power button illuminated.

Fresh install it's always the best advice when you're testing.

Detosx,

I used to have the same ramdom boot issues like you with iAtkos 5 (10.5.4), so installed XP upgraded my Bios and then installed iPC.

And yes, you're totally right about pin 20 i was covering 19 and somehow at the same time pin 20, and yesterday my WLAN stopped working, so this morning fixed that covering completely pin 20. I will recall in the corresponding thread.

Hi Smuxbr, I am not sure what's going on there. If you can't find a driver, I favor doing a fresh install using an up-to-date installer.

My mac works fine now. I just startup without any options in boot. With -v hes start without network card and wifi card loaded.

But, when i update my Airport client with this Security update 2009-001 my wifi card did not work. When i put my kext backup and reboot my system this update it appears in Software Update again.

An update on hibernate on the Acer Aspire 4720Z.

I can't report significant progress on Hibernate. I did achieve sleep using the Deep Sleep Widget but not deep sleep/hibernate - the power button remained illuminated and no key press revives it but pressing the power button does. Sound is semi muted. To get to that stage I had use ALC268_Installer2.app and HDAEnabler.kext. The annoying aspect of that is, unlike Madtux/Collit ALC268_B, which detects whether you have headphones in or not, you have to manually switch between headphones and speaker. Also, though this set up worked for a while, after the tenth boot or so I was back to shutdown stalling, and not only stalling but not shutting down. I tried HDA FIX v3 and not only did that not help, I was unable to boot. I went into my second partition, went to Library/Startup items/ and removed applehda and went to Extensions and removed applehdataruga, then reinstalled ALC268_B... along with its delightful hiss...

Additionally I tried various suggestions I read on the board - going to System Preferences/Security and enabling/disabling 'use virtual secure memory'. Also, I tried another suggestion, going to Energy Saver/Options and enabling/disabling 'Restart automatically after a power failure'.

At the moment, my shutdown is around 35 seconds, which seems like an eternity.

The next thing I am going to try is ALC268 installer 5, if I can find it on my desktop computer. The advantage of it over installer 2 and ALC268_B is that there is no hiss on sound. You do, however, lose the system volume slider. Also, there may be the old shutdown problem, which is now additionally hindered, rather than enabled, by the old HDA Fix V3.

I can see why a hell of a lot of people settled for 10.5.2!

It seems to me that hibernate is something worth striving for. It's interesting to me that I am back to shutdown problems that were previously caused by the original Installer 1/2/5 packages not working well with the, then, 10.5.4 update. I might try stripping out sound and instead relying on my usb sound card. This seems a good idea, meantime, anyway as when you come out of hibernation on any laptop using the ALC268 sound is quiet. That's not a problem with a USB sound card. Also, if lid sleeping looses me Wi-Fi on wake up, I might try using my old USB wireless and see if that works.

Another thing I want to try is the above using just battery. I have been doing everything plugged in and I have read that some things work better on battery as that is where most of the work has gone in the community.

My mac works fine now. I just startup without any options in boot. With -v hes start without network card and wifi card loaded.

But, when i update my Airport client with this Security update 2009-001 my wifi card did not work. When i put my kext backup and reboot my system this update it appears in Software Update again.

10.5.x updates and Airport updates tend to break things so I avoid both. I haven't had any problems yet from security updates - as far as I know!

do anyone have finally found the solution for random boot problem? its really frustating and i think thats the biggest problem that i have on my 4720z..

:)

As I related earlier in the thread. When I updated to the latest bios and after I then saved with F10 my otherwise unchanged bios settings, I booted a dozen or so times in a row without a problem, but then the boot problem returned. Someone reported that iATKOSv5 was working for them, but I suspect it was a similar situation to above because I installed iATKOSv5 and managed thirteen straight boots to desktop without problem. During that time I did a lot of experimenting and decided to then do a fresh install which, as it only takes minutes, isn't a big deal these days. Unfortunately, I was back to the boot problem, again. I hoped if we could get hibernate working, we could all bypass that problem. I had an evening of frustration on that one, though did get shutdown down to five seconds... but it's as intermittent as bootup, and sometimes takes up to fifty seconds. iATKOSv5, as a fresh install on my second partition, shutdown without problem. No surprises there. Which proves the point that newest isn't always best, especially if you want to get some work done rather than play around. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all. I have an acer extensia 5220 with an upgraded processor of core 2 duo t8100. I tried to install iATKOS 5i into my vmware 5.5. Well it did the main install but now Once I reboot afterwords I get this message telling me to please restart every time I restart.

macyxa.jpg

Any ideas? Should I reinstall it with different settings? If so what settings?

Hello all. I have an acer extensia 5220 with an upgraded processor of core 2 duo t8100. I tried to install iATKOS 5i into my vmware 5.5. Well it did the main install but now Once I reboot afterwords I get this message telling me to please restart every time I restart.

macyxa.jpg

Any ideas? Should I reinstall it with different settings? If so what settings?

The short and unhelpful answer from me is that I don't use vmware. On my Acer Extensa 5620 I have the hard drive formatted as GUI with three partitions - Vista / Leo1 / Leo2. I sometimes run XP under Parallels. I use IPC OSx86 with no video driver selected, allowing the GMA x3100 to use the vanilla X3100 defaults. I want to try installing my retail DVD at some point with the boot 1-2-3 method.

If you do get it working, I am curious to know what temperature readings you get using Temperature Monitor. Was it straightforward upgrading to the t8100?

"ACER EXTENSA 5220" with iPC 10.5.6

cpu: intel celeron m560 2.13 GHz: ("about this mac" saying: 2.13ghz unknown)

chipset: intel gl965 express

ram: 2048 MB, ddr2-533

hdd: 160gb, sata

vga: gmax3100 = working (hardware accelerated, by default without any driver!)

optical drive: dvd super multi drive = working

sound: alc268 = working (default drivers by madtux)

wlan: Broadcom = working (default "broadcom" driver)

lan: netlink bcm5787m = working (driver by nobb1x v0.3)

bluetooth = working

firewire = working

webcam: crystal eye = working

pcmcia: (i dont know, not using it)

not working:

card reader: texas isntruments = not working

sleep function

Hello everbody.

I have a problem installing Mac on my Acer Aspire 5720Z. During the install, my laptop shuts down, without a warning. Can anyone help me ?

Hi Developer. Heat kills, so be careful. It seems that some Acers, and some other makes also, run very hot when installing and I think the 5720z might be one of them. I would hold off, for now, until you find someone who has the 5720z working and also I would urge you to find out what temperatures they are experiencing and whether the fan is working properly. I checked uphuck's forum and found someone who was having the same problem back in May. It appears he didn't resolve the problem. Try and find another 5720z user in the insanelymac community and private message them. Again, ask them what temperatures they are experiencing and if the fan starts up as it should. Temperature monitor is a good application. As I found, to get it working you need to go to System Preferences / Speech and change the default voice. Odd but it works!

With the summer months approaching I recommend getting a notebook cooler. My preferred model is the Antec Notebook cooler. It reviews well, takes temps down by around 10 degrees C in the case of my Extensa 5620, and is fairly cheap. My 4720z runs fairly cool.

Installed on an acer 7720g

Sound --> OK (Realtek ALC268)

Graphics --> OK (Nvidia 9500M GS)

Ethernet --> OK (Broadcom Gigabit ethernet)

WIFI --> NOPE...(no driver available, Intel 4965)

Card reader --> Did not check

Unfortunately I have to rollback to my Linux distro again since Wifi is essential for me due to often traveling :)

Other than that the system felt really stable!

HOW DID YOU??

Get the LAN to work?? :)

Just popping in briefly to say if you are having problems getting your hard drive GUID partitioned like so -

|EFI| Vista | OSx86 | OSx86 | <------ I always have two OSx86 partitions so that if I damage one, I can still boot up and repair from the other

- and you can't get Vista to boot using the new Chameleon V2 bootloader on said GUID partition table, I wrote a guide on the first page of this thread.

HOW DID YOU??

Get the LAN to work?? :o

I believe your laptop uses the Broadcom BCM5787M, though check your laptop's spec and, if so, take a look here:-

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127903

The wireless card won't work and will need to be changed for one of the working ones listed in this thread. In my case a BCM4311 ordered on ebay from Honk Kong.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the wonderful and free gparted to partition my hard drive prior to installs. The most recent version even allows you to make hfs+ partitions, though not unjournaled ones.

Long story short, I had always used gparted's defaul msdos as my device identifier and then partitioned the whole drive as FAT32 and then used Disk Utility to partition to GUID. I recently found, though, that if you are doing an install with the retail DVD, you don't need to format the bare drive to FAT32; Disk Utility will simply see it as a bare hard drive. What's more interesting, I found, is that if you set the device identifier as gpt rather than leave it at the default msdos, and then use Disk Utility as you normally would with the GUID partition table, you get a faster computer. I haven't run any benchmarks but I have done this a number of times, now, and setting the hard drive identifier as gpt rather than msdos makes for a faster laptop on my Acer Extensa 5620.

Hi i've your same problem with boot (same laptop)

i've found the reason of the problem but not a solution...

the cause is a "wake event" sent on USB bus (maybe from the internal webcam or internal tv tuner: both are detected as attached to usb)

removing IOUSBFamily.kext ... solve the problem but ... no more USB :)

i've tried with different USB versions but the problem still remains

i've also tried loading the "problematic" kext only after boot ... but it doesn't load

somewhere iv'e read can be an USB & video problem ... so ... waiting for the 10.5.2

if someone knows a temporary workaround ...

we are here

hi all

Hi i've your same problem with boot (same laptop)

i've found the reason of the problem but not a solution...

the cause is a "wake event" sent on USB bus (maybe from the internal webcam or internal tv tuner: both are detected as attached to usb)

removing IOUSBFamily.kext ... solve the problem but ... no more USB :P

i've tried with different USB versions but the problem still remains

i've also tried loading the "problematic" kext only after boot ... but it doesn't load

somewhere iv'e read can be an USB & video problem ... so ... waiting for the 10.5.2

if someone knows a temporary workaround ...

we are here

hi all