Acer Laptop users (Intel).

Detosx

572 posts in this topic

For those that don't check out the modding section of this forum, I thought I'd jump in here with some Acer Extensa 5620 info...

I've posted a little guide here about doing some hardware upgrades (and modifications) to revamp this two-year-old notebook into something respectable again. Cheaper than buying a newer, less compatible model! I'm very pleased with the results- they make a huge difference. Pretty much no waiting when I go to do anything now :unsure:

I run a retail EFI installation of 10.5.8, using Chameleon + FakeSMC + DSDT. Everything including sleep works except for: the webcam (which functions perfectly in my virtual VMware WinXP); Ethernet (only kext that works kills sleep, so bought a cheap USB Ethernet adapter instead); and the memory card reader. 100% rock solid, no stability issues. Even the Wifi indicator light and trackpad multitouch works! Very pleased with my budget laptop purchase.

I'll package up my kexts if anyone needs them.

CharredPC, that's a cracking guide, thank you for sharing that. :D

• 2 weeks later...

strange eth behaviour and no sound device in Acer Extensa 5220

==========================================

Hello all,

I installed 2 days ago XxX.10.5.6-Final.v2 and added iDeneb.10.5.7.KIT+iDeneb.10.5.8.KIT.

Unfortunately I have no sound.

Initially I have chosen alc268 (modded by comatron) pack which was working in my old Kalyway 10.5.1 pack - it was upgraded gradually to 10.5.5 and audio kext was replaced by Taruga's pack 1 or 2 and later a kind of autosensing was added to.

But in this release I cannot even see audio input/output.

Which extra kexts are needed for sound? (tried solutions of comatron, noobx,CharredPC,MadTux but cannot even see input/output for sound)

These were added initially in XxX,10.5.6:

safe boot added +

dsmos,

IntelCPUPMDisabler

SMBIOSEnabler

ICHx Chipset Support

AppleNForceATA

AppleATIATA

AppleVIAATA

alc268 (modded by comatron)

ACPIBatteryManager (Chun-Nan)

OpenHaltRestart

TemperatureMonitor <-- not working

ALPSGlidepcDriver

LocalTimeToggle

Tools (all)

note: Broadcom BCM5787M was later added and works only in promiscuite mode - but needs to be set after every restart/reboot (maybe using different BCM5787M since in old days I had to change 5701 or 5751 ?? and was ok) + it "poisoned" OpenHaltRestart.

in addition in Menumeter application I cannot see transmitted and recieved amount of data - is it consequence of promisquite mode?

Can somebody give me a hint?

Thanks and regards,

bozon42

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To those have problems with sound in Snow, try using VoodHDA.kext. It worked with my Extensa 5620. Or rather, I should qualify that statement by saying that speakers/headphones worked. I have yet to try a microphone.

Hello all,

here is a short "manual" for Leo and SnowLeo installation:

p1 Win7 (skipped)

p2 XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2

p3 Snow Leopard 10.6.1-10.6.2 SSE2/SSE3 Intel AMD by_Hazard

HW: Acer Extensa 5220, HD=500GB, RAM=2GB (see signature)

================================================================

LEO Installacion: XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2

================================================================

p1 - Win7 installed

p2 - formatted with Paragon HD Manager to fat32 and Type set to AF

-booted with XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2 DVD- (abbreviation LeoDVD used later in this manual)

boot: -v cpus=1

-From LeoDVD's Utilities-->Disk Utilities p2 (disk0s2) named as Leo and formatted to

Mac OSX Journaled,Case sensitive

-Leo partition chosen and Customize:

Default:

Essential System Software (AppleDecrypt,NullCPUPowermanagement,SMBIOSEFI Enabler,PS2 Nub Enabler,PS2 Controller)

Chameleon 1.0.11

Boot arguments verbose mode (-v option)

Timeout (adds 10sec countdown before boot)

Optional system Kexts - AppleACPIPlatform 10.5.5

Chipset:ICHx Chipset Support

AppleNForceATA

AppleATIATA

AppleVIAATA

Graphics Drivers: Leopard Graphics Update 1.0

Power Management: ACPI Battery Maanger (Chun-Nan)

OpenHaltRestart

Tools

X11

Install Ok, after restart - F2 pressed and via entering to BIOS I removed LeoDVD.

Boot to Leo --> OK

QE/CI --> OK (Xbench Test results Q=133.83, GL=16.54)

Sound -->NOK

Battery --> OK

cpu-x utility -->NOK

Ethernet: BCM5787M -->OK (in promiscuite mode) from Terminal: sudo tcpdump -i en0 (or en1)

(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127903)

or see post #79 here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry963461

Automatic Update turned off.

================================================================================

=============

DSDTSE installation tested:

right click to Leo disc and Get Info -->sharing and Permissions:

System=RW

admin=RW

everyone=R only

DSDTSE v1.4.3.zip downloaded and run --> NOK

(Error: An exception of class NilObjectException was not handled. The app must shut down.)

Note:: It seems that new pack was loaded to:

http://www.osx86.es/?p=860 - not yet tested.

================================================================================

=============

Sound setting

=============

/User/<user>/leosaved created and HDAEnabler.kext, AppleHDA.kext copied from

/System/Library/Extensions to leosaved then deleted in /System/Library/Extensions

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo cp -R HDAEnabler.kext ~/leosaved

sudo cp -R AppleHDA.kext ~/leosaved

sudo rm -R HDAEnabler.kext

sudo rm -R AppleHDA.kext

VoodooHDA.kext_Leo252.zip (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355&pid=3020&mode=threaded&start=)

copied to Desktopand unzipped:

VoodooHDA.kext

cd ~/Desktop

sudo cp -R VoodooHDA.kext /system/Library/Extensions

cd /system/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel VoodooHDA.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 VoodooHDA.kext

sudo reboot

Booting to Leo and under System Preferences->Sound Output Speaker(CD) chosen: SOUND -->OK

Update: 10.5.7-re iDeneb.Combo.Upgrade.KIT.1057.dmg (www.ideneb.net)

====================================================================

Unzipped on Desktop - mounted and run and 2x restart

(waited at the end of successfull installation since not rebooted; turned off and on with power button

and with 2x restart Leo 10.5.7--->OK)

Xbench Test results: Q=56.88, GL=7.69 (much slower!!!)

Update: 10.5.8 iDeneb.Combo.Upgrade.v1058.zip (www.ideneb.net)

====================================================================

Unzipped on Desktop - mounted and run and 2x restart

(waited at the end of successfull installation since not rebooted; turned off and on with power button

and with 2x restart Leo 10.5.8--->OK)

Xbench Test results: Q=62.24, GL=8.59 (much slower!!!)

from http://rudix.org/ mc-4.6.1-5.dmg (Midnight Commander installed) --> OK

===

SnowLeo INSTALLATION to P3 Snow Leopard 10.6.1-10.6.2 SSE2/SSE3 Intel AMD by_Hazard

===

Note: base Hazard DVD used with no extra patch!!

p3 formatted with Paragon HD Manager to fat32; type set to AF.

-boot with boot: -v cpus=1 option (SnowLeoDVD)

-in Utilities-->Disk Utilities chosen and p3 (aka disk0s3) named to SnowLeo and formatted to

Mac OSX Journaled,Case sensitive

-SnowLeo partition chosen, then in Customize the following items were chosen:

Chameleon RC3 PCEFI_10.5

Legacy Kernel 10.2.0

Graphics Enabler

VoodooHDA 0.2.52

HDAEnabler

BCM5787_Ethernet

FunctionFlip (after boot System Preferences-->Universal Access-->Enable access .. turn on!!)

ElliotForceLegacyRTC (AppleRTC used at 1st install and was also ok!!)

VoodooPower

AHCI_SATA_Fix

IOATA_Family_Fix

SMBIOS Resolver

Fonts

Rosetta

QuickTime7

=============

After Boot NOK (SnowLeo from p3 not booting)

Note: i have this small problem, since Leo and SnowLeo was once already installed

and in this procedure reinstall is being done

So after installing Leo p2 was kept active.

Solutions: boot with Paragon HD Manager (boot CD) p3 set as active

(there are other solutions: either with diskutil.exe in Win7 or booting with Leo

or SnowLeo DEV and in Terminal given p3 partition set to active - please google for this)

old setting:

p2 active=yes hide=yes

p3 active=no hide=yes

new setting:

p2 active=no hide=yes

p3 active=yes hide=yes

=============

Paragon CD removed and boot to p3---> OK (press any key or space during boot and graphical Chameleon appears.

Set to SnowLeo and after pressing Space write after boot:

-with entering -v -x64 arch=x86_64 --> "blue screen", waiting 4-5 minutes, but nothing loaded

-turned off with power button, turned on and boot with:

boot: -v -s -x64 arch=x86_64 to text safe mode:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

remove all *950* kexts (which one?: ls -al|grep 950 and delete them)

sudo rm -R aaa

sudo rm -R bbb

sudo rm -R ccc (all)

delete AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext:

sudo rm -R AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

Since after sudo reboot notebook is not turned off (power button light on), I forced to press

this button longer and booted to Leo with

boot -v cpus=1 option of Hacktrix2006's #659 post X3100.zip unzipped to Desktop - see:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1784&st=640

all files copied to /Volumes/Snowleo/System/Library/Extensions:

cd ~/Desktop

sudo cp -R AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext /Volumes/Snowleo/System/Library/Extensions

sudo cp -R AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /Volumes/Snowleo/System/Library/Extensions

sudo cp -R Natit.kext /Volumes/Snowleo/System/Library/Extensions

cd /Volumes/Snowleo/System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel Natit.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 Natit.kext

Since after sudo reboot notebook is not turned off (power button light on), I forced to press

this button longer and booted to SnowLeo in 32bit mode

boot: -v -x32 arch=i386 (32bit mode)

Sound --> OK

Eth BCM5787M --> OK (in promiscuite mode) (from Terminal: sudo tcpdump -i en0 (or en1))

I turned off Airport, and Software Update, in FunctionFlip Enable turned on.

Summing up: 10.6.2 SnowLeo is running in 32bit mode

not running: sleep/awake, restart, reboot, shutdown.

If there is any help for this problem or any comment to this short manual, do not hesitate to post it.

Happy New Year for everyone and thanks for the help, nice remarks so far!!

bozon42

Graphics worked out of the box using retail Snow's default GMA X3100, or did in the case of the Extensa 5620 and Aspire 4720z. For restart/shutdown, try searching for and using OSXRestart.kext , making sure you remove openhaltrestart or EvORreboot if you were using either. Also, I found that for the first half dozen usages it is best to do a shutdown rather than a reboot, as initially the latter is sometimes otherwise broken.

I will post details of my full kext list, later today. I am tri-booting Win 7 /Snow /OpenSUSE on a GPT hard drive (Gparted partitioning live CD allows you to change disk labels; GUID on an msdos labeled drive should be the same but that wasn't my finding and led to complications), which I have been told in the case of Windows 7 is unsafe (and as I have experienced data loss, I am reluctantly coming around to the view that my setup, in respect of Windows 7, may be fairly unique but not safe as a work tool), that you should ideally run each operating system from separate drives (not viable on most laptops), so I am reluctant to post a how-to, at this stage, unless we're talking a dual boot with Snow Leopard / Linux.

Graphics worked out of the box using retail Snow's default GMA X3100, or did in the case of the Extensa 5620 and Aspire 4720z. For restart/shutdown, try searching for and using OSXRestart.kext , making sure you remove openhaltrestart or EvORreboot if you were using either. Also, I found that for the first half dozen usages it is best to do a shutdown rather than a reboot, as initially the latter is sometimes otherwise broken.

I will post details of my full kext list, later today. I am tri-booting Win 7 /Snow /OpenSUSE on a GPT hard drive (Gparted partitioning live CD allows you to change disk labels; GUID on an msdos labeled drive should be the same but that wasn't my finding and led to complications), which I have been told in the case of Windows 7 is unsafe (and as I have experienced data loss, I am reluctantly coming around to the view that my setup, in respect of Windows 7, may be fairly unique but not safe as a work tool), that you should ideally run each operating system from separate drives (not viable on most laptops), so I am reluctant to post a how-to, at this stage, unless we're talking a dual boot with Snow Leopard / Linux.

Thanks Detosx for the explanation.

i will try to search for the correct OSXRestart.kext and report later.

Regards,

bozon42

On my Extensa 5620, my Extra/Extensions running from EFI/HFS+ formatted partition, set up with Chameleon V2 rev4, are (we are discouraged from posting offsite links but you can find 64bit kexts by searching with the search keywords stellarola or stell's prepare-yourself 64):-

ACHIPortinjector

ACPIPS2Nub - specifically, in the case of the 4720z, the keyboard of which won't work otherwise, I took this particular version of that kext from the dmg file that's inside of Snow Leopard Boot CD from blackosx - make sure it's version 1.01 - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954 ; also needed was the PS2Controller - both of those kexts work with the less fussy Extensa 5620, also.

IntelPllXATA - from Netkas homepage

ATAPortinjector

ElliotForceLegacyRTC - criticial in the case of the aspire 4720z to avoid bios CMOS reset which in the case of the 4720z can otherwise make the laptop go no further than the Acer splash screen; repeated pressing of F2 often won't work and you worry you've killed your laptop.

EvOReboot - after mentioning OSXRestart.kext, I note that with the Extensa I am using EvOReboot; openhaltrestart didn't work for me.

fakesmc.kext - from netkas homepage

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

IOATABlockStorage

IOATAFamily - Dune/Slice's 32/64 kext (a dependency kext in the case of Extra/Extensions and shouldn't need Netkas IntelPllXATA as well, which is a plugin of the IOATAFamily.kext, but in my case I found I needed both) - I also have this installed to System/Library/Extensions; without it, I get kernel panic when trying to boot into 64bit

IOATAPIProtocolTransport

For running VoodooHDA from Extra/Extensions, I found I had to use and do the following

VoodooHDA - make sure its plist is set to Root

IOAudioFamily - this kext I took from my System/Library/Extensions folder and made sure its plist was set to Root

IOPCIFamily - this kext I took from my System/Library/Extensions folder and made sure its plist was set to Root

OSvKernDSPLib - this kext I took from my System/Library/Extensions folder and made sure its plist was set to Root

In other words, the bottom of each plist should read

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Edit - I have since updated to VoodooHDA v0.2.5.3 - "Latest version supports audio wake from sleep." - but I have yet to get sleep working, so...!

and... Edit 3 - version 0.2.5.3 doesn't work well with the Extensa 5620. The DVD drive is periodically accessed, making a click sound. Sound preferences shows Speaker CD. Headphones didn't work.

JMicronATAInjector

NullCPUPowerManagement - from Netkas homepage, new for 10.6.2

PlatformUUID - you need to alter the plist to show Universal Unique Identifier; go to Disk Utility and right click on your Snow Leopard drive. Copy and overwrite the number into PlatformUUID plist

SleepEnabler - from Netkas homepage; read the instructions there very carefully to avoid kernel panic; I have yet to test sleep on my Extensa but this works on my desktop machine in combination with an auto-sleep application.

Edit 2 VoodooBattery - this one works with my Extensa 5620 - it's a battery meter - but gives me kernel panic on the Aspire 4720z.

I used Kext Utility to rebuild the mkext and to install IOATAFamily to System/Library/Extensions - it takes time but in Snow it works better than Kext Helper B7.

On my Extensa 5620, my Extra/Extensions running from EFI/HFS+ formatted partition, set up with Chameleon V2 rev4, are (we are discouraged from posting offsite links but you can find 64bit kexts by searching with the search keywords stellarola or stell's prepare-yourself 64):-

ACHIPortinjector

ACPIPS2Nub - specifically, in the case of the 4720z, the keyboard of which won't work otherwise, I took this particular version of that kext from the dmg file that's inside of Snow Leopard Boot CD from blackosx - make sure it's version 1.01 - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954 ; also needed was the PS2Controller - both of those kexts work with the less fussy Extensa 5620, also.

IntelPllXATA - from Netkas homepage

ATAPortinjector

ElliotForceLegacyRTC - criticial in the case of the aspire 4720z to avoid bios CMOS reset which in the case of the 4720z can otherwise make the laptop go no further than the Acer splash screen; repeated pressing of F2 often won't work and you worry you've killed your laptop.

EvOReboot - after mentioning OSXRestart.kext, I note that with the Extensa I am using EvOReboot; openhaltrestart didn't work for me.

fakesmc.kext - from netkas homepage

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

IOATABlockStorage

IOATAFamily - Dune/Slice's 32/64 kext (a dependency kext in the case of Extra/Extensions and shouldn't need Netkas IntelPllXATA as well, which is a plugin of the IOATAFamily.kext, but in my case I found I needed both) - I also have this installed to System/Library/Extensions; without it, I get kernel panic when trying to boot into 64bit

IOATAPIProtocolTransport

For running VoodooHDA from Extra/Extensions, I found I had to use and do the following

VoodooHDA - make sure its plist is set to Root

IOAudioFamily - this kext I took from my System/Library/Extensions folder and made sure its plist was set to Root

IOPCIFamily - this kext I took from my System/Library/Extensions folder and made sure its plist was set to Root

OSvKernDSPLib - this kext I took from my System/Library/Extensions folder and made sure its plist was set to Root

In other words, the bottom of each plist should read

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

</dict>

</plist>

JMicronATAInjector

NullCPUPowerManagement - from Netkas homepage, new for 10.6.2

PlatformUUID - you need to alter the plist to show Universal Unique Identifier; go to Disk Utility and right click on your Snow Leopard drive. Copy and overwrite the number into PlatformUUID plist

SleepEnabler - from Netkas homepage; read the instructions there very carefully to avoid kernel panic; I have yet to test sleep on my Extensa but this works on my desktop machine in combination with an auto-sleep application.

I used Kext Utility to rebuild the mkext and to install IOATAFamily to System/Library/Extensions - it takes time but in Snow it works better than Kext Helper B7.

Thanks Detosx for the lines.

I will have a short break with Mac now.

I will report as soon as I have something new.

bozon42

Great topic, indeed. Don't know why I've missed it.. :-)

Until now, I've enjoyed a lot OSX - 10.5.2 Kalyway - on my TravelMate 2482 (Celeron 430 /SSE3 / 1.7Mhz / BCM4311 / GMA950 / 14" LCD , everything works but the ethernet. Well, I know that now there's a patch, but I use Wifi, so... ).

During last days, I found from a supplier of mine the last Acer TravelMate 6492, almost the bigger brother of mine 2482. Took for a very good price. Specs: T7300 2Ghz, X3100, Bluetooth, FireWire, Vista Business (that already is become an XP Pro ;) ), 14" LCD , WebCam, 6 cell battery etc etc . It isn't a new model, I know, but it was a bargain, and I like the 14" LCD notebook :-)

The bad thing went when I Installed OS X: 10.5.6 Kalyway, neither trackpad and keyboard works... I've almost tried every patch, and, to be sure, tried also with 10.5.2, 10.5.1 and 10.4.8. Don't know if it be of any help, but keyboard and trackpad don't work even during installation of Leopard (and Tiger). Reading the whole topic, I noticed that 4720Z have a similar problem, but: keyboard and trackpad works during installation?

Apart that, X3100 works, bluetooth works, sound works, DVD works, Firewire is ok, ethernet is ok, WebCam works well; shut down is ok, still troubles from restart , that don't works, but I will fix it later, I think.. CPU is recognised by Finder as Core2Duo @ 4Ghz, but temperature monitor tells me that there's the 2 cores, working from 17 to 25 C (lower than my Celeron,working usually from 45 to 54 c )

Any hints? To clarify, the trackpad is a synaptics, but "bundled" with the finger sensor, and the keyboard, that looks like exactly the old one on my 2482, have one of those green pad like the old IBMs/Toshiba had.

Meanwhile, I will follow to try, but I think I will repeat myself... :-) Oh, didn't had tried yet with Snow Leopard, I have the retail DVD (original, like Leopard, and tiger BTW).

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony. I appreciate that having bought the software, not everyone feels comfortable doing a retail install and hunting around for fixes, and so resort to hack installers. I remember Kalyway didn't work, I think the same with Iatkos. IPC OSX86 worked, if I remember rightly. You'd need to read through the first two thirds of the forum. I think netchaos was the most recent person to get the 4720z working, so perhaps drop him a PM as I can't remember which setup was used.

I have found that the application Just Looking, a picture viewer, causes my 5620 to lock up periodically, requiring that I press the power button and re-boot. I have gone back to using Xee.

Sleep eludes me - and eludes my Extensa 5620, also. I read that it is possible to get it working in 32 bit, which doesn't interest me, but the trick seemed to involve using an older version of the GMA x3100 kext from 10.6.0 or 10.6.1. If anyone knows how to get it working in 64 bit under Snow Leopard, it would be good to hear about it.

Hello Detosx,

may I access this list somehow and download these files?

regards,

bozon42

Hi Bozon42, I don't upload/post links to sites outside of insanelymac but you can find those files on stellarola's blog; here is a link to one of his insanelymac posts - check his signature for the blog and, once there, scroll down to the words 'link to kext post':-

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197002

Progress on hibernate, of sorts - If I boot with the -X32 prompt and later try Sleep, the 5620 does indeed sleep - the power button and hard drive LED both blink orange and the fan doesn't run. Great stuff! But... the screen stays black when you press any key to wake the laptop up. So, I suspect the solution, as alluded to on another forum, may be to use GMA X3100 kexts from 10.6.0 or 10.6.1. - what's known as a dirty hack. Apparently regular MacBook users have problems getting hibernate to work in 64bit, so hopefully 10.6.3 will provide a solution, or the later basis of one.

Perhaps I need to use a third party app to set the laptop to Shutdown. I sometimes fall asleep with the laptop on while watching a DVD - while it's on the bedside table, fan vents not blocked - and am conscious of the fan whirring away and wasting energy.

Thanks Detosx for the info - I have already downloaded Stellarola's kext some days ago but haven't tried so far.

Is his page updated with new kexts?

Is it possible to check whether a chosen kext is valid for either in 32bit, 32+64bit, 64bit mode?

bozon42

Thanks Detosx for the info - I have already downloaded Stellarola's kext some days ago but haven't tried so far.

Is his page updated with new kexts?

Is it possible to check whether a chosen kext is valid for either in 32bit, 32+64bit, 64bit mode?

bozon42

There is some confusion about 64bit and 32bit. From what I have read, a lot of the 64bit kexts run in both 64bit and 32bit, having being made to run in both. There are exceptions, like nvinject 64 won't work in 32bit, and so on. I think the kexts that come with Chameleon v2 r4 are all 64bit compatible. Sometimes if you run 64bit apps, they won't work in 32bit, the 64bit version of VLC player being a good example. I appreciate that some of the kexts that I have listed aren't there but they are easily findable with a search engine and the terms kexts and 64bit.

Some will debate the value of running at 64bit. Either way, I found Snow Leopard quite a bit faster than Leopard. I have 4GB of ram and whether or not that's why 64bit seems faster than 32bit, I don't know. Also, I haven't benchmarked 64bit against 32bit, in this case, so I could be imagining it but I don't think so. Equally, I don't think it's any defeat to be running at 32bit, especially in cases where people find it easier to do so and where solutions are more readily available under 32bit for whatever given problem they are having.

Hi Folks,

This is my experience in setting up an Acer Travelmate 5620 (5623 WMSi) with iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal Final.

The hardware

Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.6GHz

512 MByte RAM

Mobil Intel 945 PM/GM Express Chipset

Toshiba MK 1234GAX HDD

Philips SDVD8821 DVD

Intel GMA950 Graphics Card

Intel HDA Audio ALC883

Realtek8168/8111 LAN

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945abg WLAN

Agere HDA Modem

Acer Orbicam

5 in 1 Card Reader (Texas Instrument)

Synaptic Touchpad V6.2

PS/2 Keyboard

What works

Chipset with Intel ICHx SATA kext

Video with Intel GMA950 kext (1440x900/32bit QE/CI)

Audio with AppleHDA kext after running AppleHDAPatcher v1.20 using ALC883 codec dump

Realtek 8168/8111 PCI-E with Realtek R1000 kext

Synaptic Touchpad V6.2 but no scroll

PS/2 Keyboard with PS/2 keyboard fix

Shutdown/Restart (Sleep not tested)

What doesn't work

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945abg WLAN

Agere HDA Modem (No tested yet)

Acer Orbicam

5 in 1 Card Reader

Other installed components

9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

Patched USB Drivers

PowerManagement Package

Woodoo Power

ACPI Fix

CPUS=1 One Core fix

Seatbelt 10.5.5 kext

Shutdown/Restart fix

IOPCIFamily.kext Patched

USB Mount Fix

Hope This Helps

Hi tsurumaru, always great when people post what has worked for them. I think with a memory upgrade to 1GB you would see a nice speed bost, or at least with my Mac Mini under Leopard that was the case.

Busy day. Okay, the brand new revision of Voodoohda doesn't work well with the Extensa 5620. The DVD drive is periodically accessed, making a click sound. Sound preferences shows Speaker CD. Headphones didn't work.

So, I'm back with previous revision.

• 1 month later...
Hi Tony. I appreciate that having bought the software, not everyone feels comfortable doing a retail install and hunting around for fixes, and so resort to hack installers. I remember Kalyway didn't work, I think the same with Iatkos. IPC OSX86 worked, if I remember rightly. You'd need to read through the first two thirds of the forum. I think netchaos was the most recent person to get the 4720z working, so perhaps drop him a PM as I can't remember which setup was used.

I have found that the application Just Looking, a picture viewer, causes my 5620 to lock up periodically, requiring that I press the power button and re-boot. I have gone back to using Xee.

HI... long time I didn't post, but lot of work to do!

Well, I've tried all the patches and fixes, vodoos etc but NO WAY, keyboard and trackpad did not work. So, I gave up, and tomorrow will sell the NB. It's sad because it was perfect for my needs.. :-P

Looking around, my supplier have another "old-but-new" Acer (it means, not the last model but very good price), it's a TravelMate5730G-844G32MN. Sadly,it's not a 14" monitor, it's a "normal" 15,4", but specs are the following: P8400, 4GB Ram, 320HD, VGA Ati 3470, bluetooth, webcam, etc etc.. I think I will try with it. Do you have any hints about this model? Hope to be more lucky. :-)

Bye

Tony

I'm here again. Ok, I'm trying now on an Acer Extensa 5630 (T6400, 2GB Ram). Things are going worst... With Kalyway 10.5.2 can install the OS, but then stuck with the "welcome loop" (always ask for country, etc.. then again). With 10.5.6 iPc no way to start with installation, stuck with USBOCHI error before install could star. With iDeneb 10.5.8 sometimes installation works, BUT I have to install before the kalyway 10.5.2 - even if don't works - then start the 10.5.8 DVD with -v -x. Following with the tries... and getting bored :)

I'll update later...

Hi t.skid, unfortunately the Extensa 5630 model that I am familiar with uses an incomapible graphics chip, the GMA 4500MHD. It might be possible to run this at native resolution but without QE/CI. I wouldn't reccomend doing that unless you are purely doing a bit of word processing and surfing the internet.

I'm here again. Ok, I'm trying now on an Acer Extensa 5630 (T6400, 2GB Ram). Things are going worst... With Kalyway 10.5.2 can install the OS, but then stuck with the "welcome loop" (always ask for country, etc.. then again). With 10.5.6 iPc no way to start with installation, stuck with USBOCHI error before install could star. With iDeneb 10.5.8 sometimes installation works, BUT I have to install before the kalyway 10.5.2 - even if don't works - then start the 10.5.8 DVD with -v -x. Following with the tries... and getting bored :)

I'll update later...