 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

Hi karaakeha1.

I saw your latest kexts.zip contains IOAHCIFamily version 1.0.4 build 58.

In your previous install package and in _Latest_Kexts_for_Hard_Drive.zip you had a newer version 1.0.4 (build 260).

Any special reason for this downgrade to build 58?

In the moment I'm trying to pick the best kexts in order to write my own install script.

(One thing that scares me are some reports on 45nm cpus which might require a patched kernel (modbin 9.4.0 for 10.5.4), due to problems with RTC...)

Thanks

Hi karaakeha1.

I saw your latest kexts.zip contains IOAHCIFamily version 1.0.4 build 58.

In your previous install package and in _Latest_Kexts_for_Hard_Drive.zip you had a newer version 1.0.4 (build 260).

Any special reason for this downgrade to build 58?

In the moment I'm trying to pick the best kexts in order to write my own install script.

(One thing that scares me are some reports on 45nm cpus which might require a patched kernel (modbin 9.4.0 for 10.5.4), due to problems with RTC...)

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum.MarcP ;)

I just reinstalled 10.5.4 retail.

Here What I did took the Vanilla IOAHCIFamilykext for 10.5.4 inside just added texts to the info plist so that AHCI drives shows as internal.nothing else

check out pic below( selected text is just added to the Left

and attached Latest just modified kext

Gigabyte working on F13 to fix it

How did you check Build

post-76244-1215214049_thumb.png

IOAHCIFamily.kext.zip

hi karaakeha1.

thanks, i've been reading this forum for quite some time now. you guys are really great.

Checking the build: I open the kext package and just read the version.plist. It states version and build number.

Then I use the FileMerge application to see the differences of the files (or the diff shell command).

I also have a MBP 15'', 2.5 GHz, running 10.5.4, and it has the 1.0.4 build 260 as well.

So, I'll just give both a try.

I still hope I don't need a modified kernel to run the Q9450.

I also have a MBP 15'', 2.5 GHz, running 10.5.4, and it has the 1.0.4 build 260 as well.

I still hope I don't need a modified kernel to run the Q9450.

I used totally vanilla 10.5.4 it shows 1.0.4 build 58 thats interesting ?

Latest kernel 9.4.0 should run fine with Q9450

I tried the raid guide, and it finally worked. But i have a problem with my hdd speed is terrible (disk xbench score is 38) ;)

Guys did i do something wrong? i am using Kalyway 10.5.2 not retail

I tried the raid guide, and it finally worked. But i have a problem with my hdd speed is terrible (disk xbench score is 38) ;)

Guys did i do something wrong? i am using Kalyway 10.5.2 not retail

Did you use striped RAID option during creation of RAID volume, mine Xbench for two HDs is 150 three 190

Just updated restart kext to lastest version 1.2.1 build 169 ( from older 1.1.0 build 18) :D

That's great news, as I was just about to ask that.

As I understand, the ACPIPlatform is necessary for sleep/restart to work correctly.

How does one patch the original kext? Compile from sources? Do you have any information?

Okey karaakeha1, i did your guide and all fine, but the bootloader seems broken

I made two RAID partitions:

DISK0

--FRAGMENT RAID "SWAP00"

--FRAGMENT RAID "RAID01"

--FREE SPACE

DISK1

--FRAGMENT RAID "SWAP10"

--FRAGMENT RAID "RAID11"

--FREE SPACE

From there, i got a to RAID 0 setups, the SWAP file in DISK4 and Leopard in DISK5.

imagen1xf7.th.png

The problem is that the bootloader stops because an error as ocurred:

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s5
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s5

diskutil mount disk0s3
cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX
diskutil unmount disk0s5
diskutil mount disk1s3
diskutil unmount disk1s5

Boot and.. walá, "BOOT1: ERROR". dunno what could be, too n00b for this. But logic says me that is because it's not the "diskXs3" partition, instead the "5" (wich seems logic for me).

¿Any ideas? (Yes..."¿"... spanish boy here)

Update: I boot sucefully with DVD Kalyway 10.5.2+Chamelon PPF Fix (I have Jmicron). Without it, keeps doing that error and stuff...

Okey karaakeha1, i did your guide and all fine, but the bootloader seems broken

I made two RAID partitions:

DISK0

--FRAGMENT RAID "SWAP00"

--FRAGMENT RAID "RAID01"

--FREE SPACE

DISK1

--FRAGMENT RAID "SWAP10"

--FRAGMENT RAID "RAID11"

--FREE SPACE

From there, i got a to RAID 0 setups, the SWAP file in DISK4 and Leopard in DISK5.

imagen1xf7.th.png

The problem is that the bootloader stops because an error as ocurred:

diskutil mount disk0s3
diskutil unmount disk0s5
diskutil mount disk1s3
diskutil unmount disk1s5

Boot and.. walá, "BOOT1: ERROR". dunno what could be, too n00b for this. But logic says me that is because it's not the "diskXs3" partition, instead the "5" (wich seems logic for me).

¿Any ideas? (Yes..."¿"... spanish boy here)

Update: I boot sucefully with DVD Kalyway 10.5.2+Chamelon PPF Fix (I have Jmicron). Without it, keeps doing that error and stuff...

You didn't follow the code as mentioned in first post

Your code should be (check bold letters where you made mistake

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s3

diskutil mount disk0s3

diskutil unmount disk0s3

diskutil mount disk1s3

diskutil unmount disk1s3

you mixed partition 3 & 5 it should be 3 (if you have one partition on each Drive)

without your system specs nothing can be commented more

You didn't follow the code as mentioned in first post

Your code should be (check bold letters where you made mistake

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s3

diskutil mount disk0s3

diskutil unmount disk0s3

diskutil mount disk1s3

diskutil unmount disk1s3

you mixed partition 3 & 5 it should be 3 (if you have one partition on each Drive)

without your system specs nothing can be commented more

sorry, i meaned:

diskutil mount disk0s5
diskutil unmount disk0s5
diskutil mount disk1s5
diskutil unmount disk1s5

That was I did (not the disk0s3 stuff).

¿Specs? One image is better than 999 words...

imagen1me2.th.png

imagen2ni3.th.png

Abit IP35 + Q6700

By the way, don't care about the rdisk order, it just changed without warning. Now rdisk0 is rdisk1, and rdisk1 is rdisk2.

sorry, i meaned:
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s5dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s5diskutil mount disk0s5cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSXdiskutil unmount disk0s5diskutil mount disk1s5cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSXdiskutil unmount disk1s5

That was I did (not the disk0s3 stuff).¿Specs? One image is better than 999 words...imagen1me2.th.pngimagen2ni3.th.pngAbit IP35 + Q6700By the way, don't care about the rdisk order, it just changed without warning. Now rdisk0 is rdisk1, and rdisk1 is rdisk2.

Your picture is not enough needs system specs before you ask anything else ,add in you sign First

First build RAID with first partition of disk(both disks) ,

DON'T create Second RAID yetFollow order VERY IMP I mentioned in the Guide

1. install retaild Leopard

2.Apply update like 10.5.4

3.Installed kexts (post patch)

4.Add raid identifier to com.apple.boot.plist (on the RAID volume

5. Last install the Chameleon with partition 3 in above steps, DISK Number check with terminal (diskutil list)

Now you can boot from either RAID slice (any order)once successfully booted than create you next RAID for whatever you need.IF you do everything right , and have right kexts ( AHCI support is easiest) than it should boot .

i don't understand. This Guide is for Hardware RAID?

this is for softwareRAID supported by apple ,you see from guide

its not easy for starter ,they need to read the forum first, You first install retail Leopard ,if successful than go for raid .

Kalyway is easy not discussed here .This is RETIAL LEOPARD guide

Add sign with hardware specs, that is sensible before you ask for any help ;)

Your picture is not enough needs system specs before you ask anything else ,add in you sign First

First build RAID with first partition of disk(both disks) ,

DON'T create Second RAID yetFollow order VERY IMP I mentioned in the Guide

1. install retaild Leopard

2.Apply update like 10.5.4

3.Installed kexts (post patch)

4.Add raid identifier to com.apple.boot.plist (on the RAID volume

5. Last install the Chameleon with partition 3 in above steps, DISK Number check with terminal (diskutil list)

Now you can boot from either RAID slice (any order)once successfully booted than create you next RAID for whatever you need.IF you do everything right , and have right kexts ( AHCI support is easiest) than it should boot .

this is for softwareRAID supported by apple ,you see from guide

its not easy for starter ,they need to read the forum first, You first install retail Leopard ,if successful than go for raid .

Kalyway is easy not discussed here .This is RETIAL LEOPARD guide

Add sign with hardware specs, that is sensible before you ask for any help :)

OKey, specs updated. Second, retail leopard don't difer much from kalyway version, but the mechanic is 99% the same.

Abot the second RAID, mmm, okey you win, i will make only 1 RAID and not two, but i can even smell the failure.

OKey, specs updated. Second, retail leopard don't difer much from kalyway version, but the mechanic is 99% the same.

Abot the second RAID, mmm, okey you win, i will make only 1 RAID and not two, but i can even smell the failure.

Nothing wrong with the method, If you are understand and follow everything should work :( be positive, I'm already using ,some other people also installed it.

Hi karaakeha,

I have a working Leo installation on a first HD. I want to use Chameleon to install in a GUID partition on a second HD.

I'm having difficulty understanding your instructions quoted below. It's not clear which of the following operations I have to perform to make the installation I want. I've numbered each of the operations. Please tell me which are the ones I have to perform to use Chameleon.

I've run Chameleon and can't find EFI.sh and pc_efi_v80. I therefore think have to do all the operations listed below except for 2, 4 and 5. Is this correct?

In 1, is the "right drive" the destination drive, i.e., my drive with the GUID partition?

how to install EFI

1. To install Chameleon EFI -its very simple because now it has installer. Just run and select the right drive

For EFI v8

2. Put the two files EFI.sh & folder pc_efi_v80 on desktop.open EFI.sh here put your user name (same as your working leopard and make sure you put Right drive and partition number where you want to install) Make sure you ejected the drive on which you are installing leopard.

3. Open terminal

sudo -s (enter)

password (enter) .

4. Now drag drop EFI.sh into terminal and hit enter.

After installing EFI your drive will be mounted again

5. When asked to restart you select No

6. Install Leopard as follows:

same for both Chameleon EFI & EFI v8

A. Mount the Leopard retail DVD or its Image. I prefer image as instillation is very fast 5-6 mins

B. In terminal Copy Paste

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

C. Open osinstall.mpkg

Install on right Destination Drive

7. Then install 10.5.4 Combo update on the right drive

8. Now to remove incompatible kexts and/or install required ones, putting kext files in the user folder

9. Open post patch. Change (destination=Name of Drive where retail leopard is installed)

10. Open terminal and drag drop post patch

this includes Sound file is for GA P35 DS4 or similar Gigabyte motherboard & GFX EFI string for nvidia 7600 GT Card

Make sure in Post patch sh file you replace with drive name(Leopard) with yours Drive name

11. Boot with new Drive and enjoy :D Good luck with your built

Regards

--gyveri

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P, Intel E4500, 4GB Gskill, EVGA 8600 256 Mb, Maxtor SATA 500MB, 200MB

Nothing wrong with the method, If you are understand and follow everything should work ;) be positive, I'm already using ,some other people also installed it.

Okey, i maked it. The problem was that the bootloader doesn't work with any partition not-DISKxS3.

I installer Leopard with Kalyway 10.5.2 plus all updates, in a fresh RAID in the first partition of both disks.

Thanks anyway!

5 July, I just updated AppleACPIPlatform.kext for restart to latest version 1.2.1 as in 10.5.4 .Attached below

Great! You patched the vanilla AppleACPIPlatform? What has to be changed in the vanilla file?

I don't really understand, is this to be used with like ICH9 Raid or just AHCI and then creating Raid arrays in the installer?

Then also, what to start with if you have like 3 free drives (no OS installed yet). Should I start creating a raid array with 3 drives, or just 2 drives en 1 drive to start installing leopard with and config the other raid array and reinstall another leopard?

I don't really understand, is this to be used with like ICH9 Raid or just AHCI and then creating Raid arrays in the installer?

Then also, what to start with if you have like 3 free drives (no OS installed yet). Should I start creating a raid array with 3 drives, or just 2 drives en 1 drive to start installing leopard with and config the other raid array and reinstall another leopard?

Is for Software RAID, because there is none Leopard distro or kext or driver that work or detect a Hardware RAID on ICHX, and any other Integrated Motherboard IO Controller.

I suggest you to make a RAID with the three disks. You can make a RAID with Disk Utility at Leopard Install, but sometimes it gets messy, so right click in a drive, select "RAID", and play with your disks, or partitions.

But remember, first partition only for Leopard. If you install it in any other partition, it will not boot.

By the other side, watch out, i have 10.5.4 working and mi Firewire appears to be dead.

Just a couple of questions concerning chameleon and raid.

are the kernels and Extensions.mkext updated automatically on Boot OSX partitions?

Also I set this up using retail disk and reboot wouldn't work, it works with my normal install efi_v8 mobo ga-p35-ds3l, is this chameleon or a raid fault?

Thanks Ian

J

Also I set this up using retail disk and reboot wouldn't work, it works with my normal install efi_v8 mobo ga-p35-ds3l, is this chameleon or a raid fault?

Thanks Ian

Its not fault ,its know issue with the board

use Patched appleACPIPlatform.kext see few post up

Its not fault ,its know issue with the board

use Patched appleACPIPlatform.kext see few post up

Thanks for the reply

are the kernels and Extensions.mkext updated automatically on Boot OSX partitions or do they need updating like updating boot partition using EFI_v8?

Will this work even if I dual boot Leopard and Vista?

If it does work is there something special I need to do to get it working?

Thanks.

on separate hard drive yes , why some one would mess with apple raid hard drive for vista. or experiment & Let us know