 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

Thanks Karaakeha1 for this guide. I followed your June 1 addition and installed the CHUD package to allow proper shutdown. It works 100% as you said it would. The only issue i have that remains is restart. I cant get it to work (Note: I think that I use a modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext from LTL's postpatch.). I noticed in your signature that yours is working. Sure I have a different Gigabyte board, but I am desperate here. Don't I need restart since software update uses it during the installation process of some of the updates?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. This is the only issue preventing me from installing 1.5.3 on my main/working drive.

thanks again

Thanks Karaakeha1 for this guide. I followed your June 1 addition and installed the CHUD package to allow proper shutdown. It works 100% as you said it would. The only issue i have that remains is restart. I cant get it to work (Note: I think that I use a modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext from LTL's postpatch.). I noticed in your signature that yours is working. Sure I have a different Gigabyte board, but I am desperate here. Don't I need restart since software update uses it during the installation process of some of the updates?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. This is the only issue preventing me from installing 1.5.3 on my main/working drive.

thanks again

Yes mine working perfectly fine .apply AppleACPIPlatform.kext after update.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip

First off, thanks for the raid setup howto, Karaakeha1. Nice speed increase. My xbench disk test speed went from 95 to over 140! I really notice the speed difference when copying files from one location to another on the raid set. Very nice. :)

I have a question, though. Is either disk in the raid set supposed to be bootable? My raid set is disk1 and disk2, but the bootloader will only start from disk2. I noticed this because after I set it up and rebooted the boot loader failed to start. I had to change the disk order in the bios so that the drive representing disk2 was first in the boot order. Once I did that the raid booted fine. Is this normal?

I know we have a language barrier, so I hope what I'm trying to say is clear.

Thanks in advance for you time.

First off, thanks for the raid setup howto, Karaakeha1. Nice speed increase. My xbench disk test speed went from 95 to over 140! I really notice the speed difference when copying files from one location to another on the raid set. Very nice. ^_^

I have a question, though. Is either disk in the raid set supposed to be bootable? My raid set is disk1 and disk2, but the bootloader will only start from disk2. I noticed this because after I set it up and rebooted the boot loader failed to start. I had to change the disk order in the bios so that the drive representing disk2 was first in the boot order. Once I did that the raid booted fine. Is this normal?

I know we have a language barrier, so I hope what I'm trying to say is clear.

Thanks in advance for you time.

Which RAID method you used. When Used with "Chameleon EFI" is bootable form either disk. I can Boot from either of Three Disk in RAID 0 Configuration.

I used Chameleon. I must have did something wrong when entering the terminal commands the first time. After I redid the procedure all is working fine.

Note: After playing with the machine in the software raid configuration for most of the day I decided to revert back to a non raid configuration. While the benchmarks and file copy operations within the raid showed a performance improvement, real world performance seemed to suffer a bit. My experience seems to mirror what you read about software raid stripes, ie they are just not worth the trouble. I'm not saying people shouldn't try it, but that I doubt you'll see much benefit outside of benchmark scores. Is fun to play with, though.

I used Chameleon. I must have did something wrong when entering the terminal commands the first time. After I redid the procedure all is working fine.

Note: After playing with the machine in the software raid configuration for most of the day I decided to revert back to a non raid configuration. While the benchmarks and file copy operations within the raid showed a performance improvement, real world performance seemed to suffer a bit. My experience seems to mirror what you read about software raid stripes, ie they are just not worth the trouble. I'm not saying people shouldn't try it, but that I doubt you'll see much benefit outside of benchmark scores. Is fun to play with, though.

Of course it wont show any difference in web browsing word processing etc . Its practical use is dealing with Video editing big Photo data base in iphoto or same for itunes with quite big library etc.

I experienced Faster Startup, File copying Like BLUERAY Movie Image 44 GB ( Decreased To 5 min from 8 mins )

Software Raid is quite equal to hardware RAID.

tests show surprisingly little difference between a software and hardware RAID 0 array

289k8eb.png

Also the big practical advantage is RAID 1 configuration

thanks again

Hi RedOak, my post patch leaves the vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext in place

I'm able to reboot, etc with vanilla file

just want to clear that up, hope the helps

No it does'nt ( when he used Patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext he was able to reboot read later comment.You have listed Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext as incompatible in postpatch ( Which is true)

So it seems contradictory comment

and you have included AppleACPIPlatform.kext in your kext package ,If Vanilla is good why you included AppleACPIPlatform.kext

and in postpatch there is nothing that replaces AppleACPIPlatform.kext .

So its not possible to reboot with Vanilla

one need Patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext . I experienced the same and many others

also Shut down not working without CHUD

Also if you include HDAEnabler instead of ALCinject .see pic below Audio would be listed as Built in

oq8u15.png

HDAEnabler.kext.zip

with Patched AppleHDA.kext as before for respective boardLatest EFI Studio has option for EFI v8 install Option35bb42a.jpgLatest EFI Studio has option for EFI v8 install Option

Is there documentation for efi stdio? Would love to fully understand the options without plaguing you!

Just noted in your PostPatch you are replacing Vanilla Kernel with the Netkas kernel So you are able to reboot and shutdown etc.So probaby you are using old mach kernel with 10.5.3

Karaaheka1,

What IONetworkingFamily.kext are you using? (vanilla?) and does time machine work for you.

Thanks

Yes Vanilla

TM working because using EFI string for Video and Lan. You can generate and install with EFI studio . Check first post . Now it supports quite a lot Video cards

thx karaa,

Ok so the way I understand it is I can delete my patched ionetworkingfamily.kext get vanilla one from 10.5.3 combo updater and then in efi studio write the string for my onboard nic to my apple bootlist? This will give me timemachine and fix the uuid 35 error?

You are all vanilla except for the kexts in your installer download?

I have a ep35-ds4

thx karaa,

Ok so the way I understand it is I can delete my patched ionetworkingfamily.kext get vanilla one from 10.5.3 combo updater and then in efi studio write the string for my onboard nic to my apple bootlist? This will give me timemachine and fix the uuid 35 error?

You are all vanilla except for the kexts in your installer download?

I have a ep35-ds4

yes

didn't work for me. Extracted IOnetworkingFamily.kext from combo10.5.3 update with pacifist. installed it with kexthelper and network doesn't work and system pref network panel crashes system prefs. wierd.

Must be not installed properly/

Just install Leopard apply 10.5.3

follow instructions in the guide .