How to get UK Keyboard

Paul Gleeson

6 posts in this topic

You can add the British keyboard layout by going to System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu tab. Scroll down and tick the "British" box, and if it's the only one you want you can deselect "US". While you're there, I find it useful to click on "Character Palette" and "Keyboard viewer" too. You can then switch back and forth between keyboard layouts on the desktop.

If you're still having problems, chances are you're using a PC keyboard, and UK Mac keyboards are laid out differently to UK PC keyboards. I have a standard (older) Mac UK keyboard and a UK MacBook Pro, and both have the @ sign as Shift 2 while the quote mark is above apostraphe. The euro symbol is option 2. The £ (pound) sign is on Shift 3, while # is on option 3. Use the keyboard viewer to see what keystrokes are where, the control, option (alt on PC keyboard) and command/apple (windows key on PC keyboard) keys are all keyboard modifiers.

Everything works except the pipe/slash key next to the left shift key

On a Mac keyboard it's the start apostraphe ` and (with shift) the ~ (tilda), with apple/command it's the keyboard modifier for grave accents like è. The pipe and slash key on a Mac keyboard is over by the Return key (tilda and hash key on my PC keyboard).

and the key to the left of the "1"

On a Mac keyboard that's § and (with shift) ±. Use Keyboard viewer to see how your keyboard is being represented.