[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

I have a card reader somewhere, if I can find it I'll hook it up and see what happens and let you know.

Update: Installed, running no issues at all. Sleep works as before.

post-170015-1258414569_thumb.png

Going back over previous post I checked the dsdt you posted at #683 and discovered maybe you have the same/similar error as mala-zaba.

My code

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0x7FF8E064, 0xFF)
Field (BIOS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)

Your code at post 683

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0xBFF8E064, 0xFF)
Field (BIOS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)

So if you used my dsdt v3.1 without changing this that could be the problem.

Change the code to 0xBFF8E064 and try again.

Yes! that small change in the DSDT makes a lot of difference and, you know what, now I can wake up with the keyboard and the mouse, you know what this mind, we can have a 100% working machine. Thanks DB1, I owe you a beer. :)

P.S. If you still have problems with sleep, try unplugging devices in the USB ports one by one, I have that problem with one rogue port if something was plugged in it my computer wake up instantaneity.

Yes! that small change in the DSDT makes a lot of difference and, you know what, now I can wake up with the keyboard and the mouse, you know what this mind, we can have a 100% working machine. Thanks DB1, I owe you a beer. :)

P.S. If you still have problems with sleep, try unplugging devices in the USB ports one by one, I have that problem with one rogue port if something was plugged in it my computer wake up instantaneity.

And card reader?

Great we got you sorted, I'll put a note on future dsdt.dsl's so others don't go through the pain. I was starting to loose faith in finding a working solution for us all.

I only got a BT Dongle - and thats the wrong one! (unless I can work out a fix)

@bikinifarm

Can you please try this dsdt. I found you may have same / similar problem to mala-zaba & elviejo (he confirmed resolved) - the memory address to Bios. I looked back to a dsdt you posted and think I found the correct address and have amended in this dsdt.

Q6600bikinifarm_dsdt.zip

Let me know.

And card reader?

Great we got you sorted, I'll put a note on future dsdt.dsl's so others don't go through the pain. I was starting to loose faith in finding a working solution for us all.

I only got a BT Dongle - and thats the wrong one! (unless I can work out a fix)

@bikinifarm

Can you please try this dsdt. I found you may have same / similar problem to mala-zaba & elviejo (he confirmed resolved) - the memory address to Bios. I looked back to a dsdt you posted and think I found the correct address and have amended in this dsdt.

Q6600bikinifarm_dsdt.zip

Let me know.

Yes, the card reader now works OK. in one of the internal USB headers, but if I connected it to the other internal USB header I got the wake up instantaneity, same problem happens with the externals USB connectors, we are close, really close, but not yet there, anyway, I don't need that ports, so yes we have a 100% working machine if don't use that two USB ports. :)

but if I connected it to the other internal USB header I got the wake up instantaneity,

Which header? Identify via manual id's, page 1 - 9

same problem happens with the externals USB connectors

Which external ports? Manual Page 1 - 29

I have an idea what is wrong.

@ DB1: You are my God. :) Everything works now with the modified dsdt for the V901 BIOS. The shutdown is ok (power supply off) and I can wake my system by mouse (Wireless Logitech USB), by keyboard (Microsoft Comfort curve 2000) and power button. Only my Wacom graphic tablet (USB) don't work. I don't know if is normal but I am not interested in knowing.

A big thank to BlackCH, MasterChief, you, and community!

Eric

@ DB1: You are my God. :D Everything works now with the modified dsdt for the V901 BIOS. The shutdown is ok (power supply off) and I can wake my system by mouse (Wireless Logitech USB), by keyboard (Microsoft Comfort curve 2000) and power button. Only my Wacom graphic tablet (USB) don't work. I don't know if is normal but I am not interested in knowing.

A big thank to BlackCH, MasterChief, you, and community!

Eric

Great - I'm on a roll. Just need bikinifarm to check and thats 3 out of 3 (that have reported problems).

Which port you plug the tablet into? Have you tried other ports?

Aaaah! Everything works just fine with the last dsdt of Mala Zaba (same CPU!) + many thanx to DB1 but just can't fix graphics! Font's are a bit corrupted and QE does not work (Chess=KP), got a Nvidia 7600GS 256mb.

Tried:

EFI string into com.apple.boot -> no difference with or without!

Graphics enabler in com.apple.boot -> no difference with or without!

Adding GFX into the DSDT from MALA Zaba i did not try; DSDT is not my piece of cake & ACPI patcher does not work on my XP install... :wacko:

Someone any idea what could be the problem?

Aaaah! Everything works just fine with the last dsdt of Mala Zaba (same CPU!) + many thanx to DB1 but just can't fix graphics! Font's are a bit corrupted and QE does not work (Chess=KP), got a Nvidia 7600GS 256mb.

Tried:

Adding GFX into the DSDT from MALA Zaba i did not try; DSDT is not my piece of cake & ACPI patcher does not work on my XP install... ^_^

Maybe you need to insert your card's device ID into the NVDANV40Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext plists....

Anyway, if you are running 10.6.2 you can only boot in 32 bit mode; 7xxx series cause KP in 64 bit

Which port you plug the tablet into? Have you tried other ports?

USB3 port (p.1-9)

I try USB1 and USB5, same result. Perhaps is the graphic tablet itself. This not really bother me.

Tried:

Adding GFX into the DSDT from MALA Zaba i did not try; DSDT is not my piece of cake & ACPI patcher does not work on my XP install... :(

Is your graphic card, I have the same problem with a 7300gs, change to a 9400Gt an everything now is smooth.

The USB conundrum - demystified

Ok so I have got fixated on trying to solve our USB problems and did some experimenting. The mobo manual tells us we have 6 external ports and 3 internal headers which can feed 2 ports each making an overall possibility of 12 ports. An output from lspci (Below) shows 6 ports and their addresses + 2 EHI ports. The later i'll not go into as its not necessary for our issues.

1. LSPCI Output ACPI Dump V3.1 dsdt
  2. 00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02) EUSB EHCI
  3. 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02) USB0 UHC1
  4. 00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02) USB1 UHC2
  5. 00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02) USB2 UHC3
  6. USB3
  7. 00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02) USB4 UHC4
  8. 00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02) USB5 UHC5
  9. 00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 02) USB6 UHC6
  10. 00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02) USBE UHCI

I remembered seeing a note in MasterChiefs dsdt regarding removal of USB3 as it did not register in IOREG and so checked back to my ACPI dump from Linux and discovered the dsdt actually shows 7 USB & their addresses. (USB 0 to 6). The rouge one being USB3 address 0x001D0003 (should have been 00:1d:3 - in lspci) so I put back into dsdt and confirmed what MC had obviously found which is that it did not register in IOREG. I tested the dsdt anyway to see if this had any effects and found once again I lost all sleep functionally.

I also needed to confirm if any of the ports or headers were malfunctioning as consequence of the anomaly so I used my Bluetooth dongle in each of the ports to confirm a. if it worked & slept/woke b. to identify which port corresponded to which UHC address. (table below). For the USB header check I used my card reader in the same manor.

UHC1 = Header USB78 (page 1 - 9 manual)

UHC2 = USB910

UHC3 = USB1112

UHC4 = USB12 (Back ports - page 1 - 9 manual)

UHC5 = USB34

UHC6 = USB56

Conclusion:

I cannot explain why Linux ACPI dump gives 7 USB addresses however there is no detrimental effect from having the 6 as we have them identified in dsdt & IOREG. My testing of all the ports and headers confirmed they are working as they should (with the devices I used), which leads me to an explanation of why others may be having problems with USB. Either the BIOS call address in dsdt is incorrect (see previous posts), the jumpers are set wrong (see previous posts), you have a dsdt with 7 USB devices, or your device needs further information in dsdt and/or kexts to function correctly (may not even be possible).

So worth a try for your own satisfaction to get a working external & internal device and go through all the ports. I'm finished with USB - it's been a long journey! (Just need a suitable BT dongle or other fix to give me wake from keyboard & mouse)

Great - I'm on a roll. Just need bikinifarm to check and thats 3 out of 3 (that have reported problems).

DB1; You are indeed on a roll, and you got 3 out of 3. The dsdt you posted for me also works for sleep, wake and anything else. Moreover, keyboard wake works as follows:

- Apple aluminum wired keyboard (USB2). Wakes fine with keyboard. Tested a few ports, all work fine.

- Older Apple transparent keyboard (USB1). (7 years old) No wake. Tested a few ports.

- Apple Aluminum bluetooth keyboard with the dongle (USB1) in my signature. No wake.

- Apple wireless mighty mouse with the same dongle. No wake.

So, I am with you, we do need a new dongle, possibly a USB2 one. Well done, & many thanks!!!

Additional Info

@DB1: I looked into this dongle thing, I have version B4. Upons searching a bit, I found this:

Bluetooth discussion

(see post 108 in the above discussion)

Of particular interest are:

Apple support doc 1

Apple support doc 2

Despite claims that version B4 (earlier than C) should work, it actually does not. In the bluetooth dialog box, you can actually see wake is not supported. (Dimmed as shown in the attached picture.)

Looks like we need something like this:

Asus dongle

there are cheaper options like this, but hard to be sure which will work:

Deal Extreme

Cheers.

post-287063-1258493734_thumb.jpg

DB1; You are indeed on a roll, and you got 3 out of 3. The dsdt you posted for me also works for sleep, wake and anything else. Moreover, keyboard wake works as follows:

- Apple aluminum wired keyboard (USB2). Wakes fine with keyboard. Tested a few ports, all work fine.

- Older Apple transparent keyboard (USB1). (7 years old) No wake. Tested a few ports.

- Apple Aluminum bluetooth keyboard with the dongle (USB1) in my signature. No wake.

- Apple wireless mighty mouse with the same dongle. No wake.

So, I am with you, we do need a new dongle, possibly a USB2 one. Well done, & many thanks!!!

Great stuff - were all happy now.

The Trust 15542-02 BT dongle seems to be receiving good functionality reports also.

Additional Info

@DB1: I looked into this dongle thing, I have version B4. Upons searching a bit, I found this:

Bluetooth discussion

(see post 108 in the above discussion)

Of particular interest are:

Apple support doc 1

Apple support doc 2

Despite claims that version B4 (earlier than C) should work, it actually does not. In the bluetooth dialog box, you can actually see wake is not supported. (Dimmed as shown in the attached picture.)

Asus dongle

Deal Extreme

Cheers.

Mines a Belkin DBT - 120 rev B2 and it don't work. Apple speak with fork tongue!

I'm still on 10.6.1 and 7600gs should be working fine but efi string doesn't do the job. :unsure: Just don't understand!

Nothing to do in with version you are, the 7xxx series give KP every time you try the Chess game, ( as soon you move the pointer over the game board ) in 10.6.2 you can't even use it, trust me, I was there to.

Nothing to do in with version you are, the 7xxx series give KP every time you try the Chess game, ( as soon you move the pointer over the game board ) in 10.6.2 you can't even use it, trust me, I was there to.

Ok than... :( Will look into another GFX! Thanx.

I must beg you guys for help. I've been trying to have sleep working since I upgraded to SL. On 10.5 sleep was working fine with the help of EHCISleepEnabler.kext. Not on 10.6. I have tried a few last dsdt.aml files you posted with not much luck - power supply never goes off on sleep. USB/keyboard jumpers switches as suggested. QE works with GraphicsEnabler in com.apple.Boot.

Here's my dsdt.aml/dsl extracted on linux. I tried to compare it with the ones posted but there are huge differences. Where should I start? :(

p5k_vm_e2160oc.zip

I must beg you guys for help. I've been trying to have sleep working since I upgraded to SL. On 10.5 sleep was working fine with the help of EHCISleepEnabler.kext. Not on 10.6. I have tried a few last dsdt.aml files you posted with not much luck - power supply never goes off on sleep. USB/keyboard jumpers switches as suggested. QE works with GraphicsEnabler in com.apple.Boot.

Here's my dsdt.aml/dsl extracted on linux. I tried to compare it with the ones posted but there are huge differences. Where should I start? :)

Grab DB's 3,1 dsdt/kexts/files pack (post #718). That dsdt is heavily modified/optimized; a lot of unused code has been deleted, new devices/methods added. You NEED to modify the PSS data according to your CPU or you can fry it. You can look how to do it HERE

Scope (_PR) // Processor scope (namespace).
{
Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06)
{
	Method (_PSS, 0, NotSerialized)
	{
		Return (Package (0x06) // Change this section to suit your CPU the values gained by using P-state calculator
		   {

Package (0x06) {2915, 64946, 10, 10, 0xB28, 0xB28},
			Package (0x06) {2650, 63453, 10, 10, 0xA27, 0xA27},
			Package (0x06) {2385, 59906, 10, 10, 0x925, 0x925},
			Package (0x06) {2120, 57359, 10, 10, 0x823, 0x823},
			Package (0x06) {1855, 54812, 10, 10, 0x721, 0x721},
			Package (0x06) {1590, 52318, 10, 10, 0x61F, 0x61F}

})		   
	}

Once you modify the dsl file you need to compile it with iasl. You'll get a aml file to put into your /Extra folder (need to be named 'dsdt.aml')

Use the attached set of kext (use only Minimum kexts) and put them in your /Extra/Extension folder. You must fill-in your boot HD's UUID number (get it with DiskUtility) onto PlatformUUID.kext plist:

<key>PlatformUUID</key>
<string>UUID_Number_HERE</string>

Then use Mkext Tool to generate a /Extra/Extensions.mkext file.

Set the machine model to iMac9,1 in smbios.plist (this is the best way to get speedstep enable for now). Remember to set all the jumpers as said before in this thread; and just to be sure you dont miss anything read on from page #34

You need to have a full vanilla installation (or at least no modified files in /System/Library/Extensions/). Also is good if you have Chameleon 2.0 RC3 + PCEFI 10.5 installed.

Forgot to mention PlatformUUID.kext is not needed any longer, I removed it before update to 10.6.2. Not sure if it's with changing the boot file to Netkas PCIEFI that negates the need or whether we just needed it for initially to identify the hdd to install from Snowy DVD

Asus dongle

Deal Extreme

Cheers.

From my experience, the round headed Dongle is not as reliable as the square headed one.

http://www.meritline.com/mini-type-wireles...---p-27752.aspx

I have 4 round headed and they don't work when I leave them plugged in after restart. Square head one do.

Just a minor off topic comment.

I have 4 round headed and they don't work when I leave them plugged in after restart. Square head one do.

That's an interesting point. Must be related to the OEM manufacturer of devices. I ordered the ASUS (square head) one a couple of days ago for $10, once it arrives, I will post a note on whether it successfully wakes the machine up. Thanks for the tip.

Could someone modified my dsdt with the new additions because i cannot do it alone.

Thanks in advance

I have intel e8400 and 9800gt 512mb dualdvi

You did not report back on the one I provided specific for you in post 664 - you really need to learn to self help rather than rely on others doing for you. I don't mind helping but I'm not going but don't always have time to provide an end to end service.

You have the section for GFX0, you have the PSS (p-states for stepping) I provided.

So the one I posted in 718 just needs the GFX0 adding and the PSS section swapping. Just be sure you have the right info as per code in post 749 (you will need to extract your own dsdt to verify this)

I'm in a generous mood this evening. Try this: Panos12DSDT.zip

AND It would be a good idea to post details of your setup in signature so we know what your system consists.