[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

help needed. i did the update and get a kernel panic when i try to boot. im pretty sure i was using famsmc.kext not dsmos. and also is there a way to get the original onboard video to work? my 9400gt crapped out and i dont really have money for now.

Did you do a backup and do you have an alternative boot tool?

On board graphics has worked for me in the past though resolution poor, just enable in bios and try. You might have to add GraphicsEnabler=Yes in Boot.plist if using Chameleon r2 to detect it, if you got graphics for your card in dsdt take that out also.

It could actually be your graphics card causing KP as there are some that are causing problems in 10.6.2 have a flip around the site and see if anyone else reporting problems for same card. How did your graphics function before? (e.g. EFI string, kext injection, dsdt)

Did you do a backup and do you have an alternative boot tool?

On board graphics has worked for me in the past though resolution poor, just enable in bios and try. You might have to add GraphicsEnabler=Yes in Boot.plist if using Chameleon r2 to detect it, if you got graphics for your card in dsdt take that out also.

It could actually be your graphics card causing KP as there are some that are causing problems in 10.6.2 have a flip around the site and see if anyone else reporting problems for same card. How did your graphics function before? (e.g. EFI string, kext injection, dsdt)

i didnt backup and i dont have an alternative boot tool could you help me out with that? and yes i was using your dsdt except i changed the card name but that was it. and i took at my 9400gt last week and i was using the onboard for a few days now but i was wondering if i could get it fully supported becuse resolution is terrible and no ci/qe.

i didnt backup and i dont have an alternative boot tool could you help me out with that? and yes i was using your dsdt except i changed the card name but that was it. and i took at my 9400gt last week and i was using the onboard for a few days now but i was wondering if i could get it fully supported becuse resolution is terrible and no ci/qe.

There is no GFX injection in the dsdt I provided only a place holder i.e. the correct space identified for your own code for your card to go so changing the name would not inject your video. Try again with GraphicsEnabler in com.apple.Boot.plist or use this one:

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

If you get back up and running we can then look at graphics improvement.

There is no GFX injection in the dsdt I provided only a place holder i.e. the correct space identified for your own code for your card to go so changing the name would not inject your video. Try again with GraphicsEnabler in com.apple.Boot.plist or use this one:

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

If you get back up and running we can then look at graphics improvement.

okay i looked at netkas.org and it said i needed to delete sleepenabler.kext so i plugged my HDD into my gaming PC and used macdrive to get in and delete that kext and now im back onto my hackintosh!!

but as i said im using the onboard graphics but im stuck at one garbage resolution with no CI/QE. ill try the com.apple.boot.plist.

okay i looked at netkas.org and it said i needed to delete sleepenabler.kext so i plugged my HDD into my gaming PC and used macdrive to get in and delete that kext and now im back onto my hackintosh!!

but as i said im using the onboard graphics but im stuck at one garbage resolution with no CI/QE. ill try the com.apple.boot.plist.

You know CI/QE does not show in profiler for 10.6.x, the acid test is if Chess works then CI/QE enabled.

You wont get any better for the onboard - been there done that and gave up!

The onboard GFX is not supported; theres no drivers for it so it works in VESA mode only.

I thought I post my BIOS (v1001) settings, since I have sleep working (wake from keyboard, mouse, power button):

SATA: AHCI, enhanced

JumperFree config: all set to AUTO

USB (from up to down): enabled, enabled, high speed, enabled, auto

CPU (from up to down): auto, enabled, disabled, all the rest enabled

North bridge config (from up to down): enabled, PEG/PCI, disabled, auto, disabled

onboard devices (from up to down): enabled, hd audio, enabled, disabled, enabled, enabled, disabled, disabled

Plug&Play: yes

Power (from up to down): auto, disabled, disabled, enabled

APM (from up to down): power off, disabled all the rest

KBPWR & USBPW (all three) jumpers are set to +5VSB (manual, page 1-27)

I have full vanilla too. Two ATA devices connected to the Jmicron controller, apple proKeyboard (old one transparent/withe) & microsoft mouse (wired).

Using chameleon lastest release + PCEFI 10.5, model set to iMac9,1, dsdt based on DB1's 3,1.

Kexts in /Extra/Extensions/: FakeSMC.kext, JmicronATA.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext (does not fix restart issue), P5K-VM.kext (without SMC/AGPM data), PlatformUUID.kext

@DB1

does auto-sleep works for you?

@DB1

does auto-sleep works for you?

No auto - sleep not working (nor scheduled auto) and does not on the PRO made enquiries over on their thread. Restart after sleep is working for them and the Chief has a new kext OSXRestart but though that works ok still no restart after sleep for me/us.

Got my Magic Mouse today and it works fine with the Belkin DBT - 120 dongle. Cannot wake via mouse now though so I think my keyboard / mouse wake is either an OS or dongle problem, most likely the later.

@DB1/BlackCH;

I ran some additional tests:

- dsdt 3.1 (Q6600) with BIOS set to ACPI Version Enabled and APIC Support on -> upon sleep power stays on, no wake. (Same as before)

- My older working dsdt with BlackCH's BIOS setting (required 3 changes: turn on Plug & Play, disable ACPI Version, and place the keyboard power jumper back on -> wake only with power button, no keyboard (wired Apple, or bluetooth Apple) or mouse (wireless Apple) wake. (Same as before)

BlackCH and you have JMicron enabled, but I do not believe that makes a difference. So, matching BIOS settings made no difference.

I do not have PCEFI 10.5, and that could be something as it builds on Chameleon RC3, but other than that, we are all vanilla, matching kexts, and very similar or same dsdt's.

The last two things remaining, as far as I can see, are motherboard hardware versions (not BIOS), and the PCEFI 10.5 thing. There is also the differences between CPUs and power supplies. I can not think of anything else.

The last two things remaining, as far as I can see, are motherboard hardware versions (not BIOS), and the PCEFI 10.5 thing. There is also the differences between CPUs and power supplies. I can not think of anything else.

I think graphic/PCI cards and how you enable them (in case of the graphics) can also make a difference

People, take this for granted, all our problems with sleep and waking or not with the mouse or keyboard have something to do with the way the USB's are coded in the DSDT; I bet that the people who can wake with the mouse or keyboard are using wired not usb connection, also the jumper settings in the keyboard are only for ps2 keyboard not USB keyboard, what's more, I know for sure that the power the USB ports are getting after wake up are not enough, why? because I have a card reader connected to the internal USB port AND ( this "and" is really important ) in Snow Leopard when the computer wakes up the lights told me something is not right, they must be all green, instead I get yellow and RED, that same card reader in Leopard show GREEN only and the Reader works fine, also, the card reader don't work after sleep in Snow Leopard and works fine in Leopard, also, I don't believe the video card have nothing to do with the sleep problem, before I have a nVidia 7300 gs and my computer sleep Ok. only when I fix ( or partially fix ) the USB's in my DSDT, I change to a 9400 GT re encoded the video section of the DSDT, sleep Ok., take out the video from the DSDT and use gfx strings in boot plist, sleep OK. My 2 cents.

I think graphic/PCI cards and how you enable them (in case of the graphics) can also make a difference

Agree, same goes for alien devices not normally on a Mac or devices of a different device id than in Mac range.

also the jumper settings in the keyboard are only for ps2 keyboard not USB keyboard,

Of course I knew this, I suggested the change for compatibility reasons not to get sleep wake functionality from USB devices. The other 3 jumpers are +5VSB, if you change one back to +5V you will get sleep wake issues (I tested) and so thought it wise to change the keyboard one also.

I know for sure that the power the USB ports are getting after wake up are not enough, why? because I have a card reader connected to the internal USB port AND ( this "and" is really important ) in Snow Leopard when the computer wakes up the lights told me something is not right, they must be all green, instead I get yellow and RED, that same card reader in Leopard show GREEN only and the Reader works fine, also, the card reader don't work after sleep in Snow Leopard and works fine in Leopard,

Have to disagree, the logic does not stack up! If the reader works in Leopard but not in Snow Leopard then it seems obvious it's the differences in the OS's causing the problem as the power to or from USB ports has not changed. Your experiencing similar to BlackCH and I, no wake of device/s after sleep (ours would not go to sleep because the hardware configuration), in your case it could be that the OS does not have wake capability for this type of device. You may need to identify the device in dsdt and find additional code to enable it to wake. Beyond me but may be an interesting challenge for MasterChief.

My wake from keyboard or mouse are almost certain to be bluetooth dongle incompatibility issues (even though recommended by apple (Belkin DBT - 120 rev B2), how do I know? Well on my Mac Mini of course everything just works. The IOREG shows differences to my Hack for the bluetooth device and also the "Allow Bluetooth Devices to Wake Computer" in preferences for the Mac although greyed out have a tick in the box where on the Hack it does not. Seems like I need a different dongle!

Hello,

I modified the dsdt v3.1 for my CPU and removed the JMicron section. But I have a problem when shutdown the system. The power supply is always powered. My dsdt (not optimized) who comes from a linux dump is able to cut power. You have an idea why it does not work with v3.1? Eric

Hello,

I modified the dsdt v3.1 for my CPU and removed the JMicron section. But I have a problem when shutdown the system. The power supply is always powered. My dsdt (not optimized) who comes from a linux dump is able to cut power. You have an idea why it does not work with v3.1? Eric

Did you do the USB jumper fix?

Shut down should work ok nobody reporting otherwise (yet), there are still issues with restart after a sleep even with OpenHaltRestart.kext (& similar). MasterChief has been having issues on the PRO board with shutdown and is working on a solution via new code in dsdt. It's due out very soon (V3.2).

Post your dsl and lets have a look see if there's anything obvious.

D

Agree, same goes for alien devices not normally on a Mac or devices of a different device id than in Mac range.

Of course I knew this, I suggested the change for compatibility reasons not to get sleep wake functionality from USB devices. The other 3 jumpers are +5VSB, if you change one back to +5V you will get sleep wake issues (I tested) and so thought it wise to change the keyboard one also.

Have to disagree, the logic does not stack up! If the reader works in Leopard but not in Snow Leopard then it seems obvious it's the differences in the OS's causing the problem as the power to or from USB ports has not changed. Your experiencing similar to BlackCH and I, no wake of device/s after sleep (ours would not go to sleep because the hardware configuration), in your case it could be that the OS does not have wake capability for this type of device. You may need to identify the device in dsdt and find additional code to enable it to wake. Beyond me but may be an interesting challenge for MasterChief.

My wake from keyboard or mouse are almost certain to be bluetooth dongle incompatibility issues (even though recommended by apple (Belkin DBT - 120 rev B2), how do I know? Well on my Mac Mini of course everything just works. The IOREG shows differences to my Hack for the bluetooth device and also the "Allow Bluetooth Devices to Wake Computer" in preferences for the Mac although greyed out have a tick in the box where on the Hack it does not. Seems like I need a different dongle!

In relation to the jumpers I, for sure, know it's not the cause of the sleep problem because I tested both ways and it don't make a difference when I use my DSDT, my computer sleep regardless where the jumpers are set. About the reader I forgot to mention that in Leopard I don't use a DSDT whatsoever, so yes I agree with you in that is the way the OS manage the USB's, in Leopard it didn't have any extra instructions giveth as Snow Leopard have with the DSDT, that give me the idea to try that method in Snow Leopard and see what happen. I keep you posted

Well, I try without a DSDT and sleep hangs the computer, so that's not an option, apparently Snow Leopard change the way it interact with the hardware as Leopard do, was worth the try because we are trimming the problem. I want to make clear that the only things that are not completely perfect with Snow now are the wake up from keyboard and mouse ( in my case I use a wireless combo ) and the card reader problem, but the last one really don't bother me because I have reader in my printer that I can use instead, still is not the total functionality we want.

P.S. I now remember that in Leopard we need to use the IOUSBFamily_3.4.9.1 kext to have proper function of the USB's, so that point also to the USB's been the problem.

So do we rely too heavily on dsdt, can we run effectively without it?

Well in the interest of the community (of P5K VM users) I decided to remove it and report.

Result Negative:

1. No Sleep function at all.

2. Orange Icons.

3. Higher CPU temperatures.

4. No shutdown function.

5. CST errors

6. Lose AppleLPC

7. Lose AppleAGPM

Result Positive:

1. Speed stepping seems to work (though temperatures higher).

2. Restart works.

3. Video works fine with efi string or Chameleon GraphicsEnabler.

4. Lan works fine with Yukon2 kext and EthernetEnabler in Chameleon.

Conclusion:

You can run without dsdt but it is far more efficient to run with it.

Did you do the USB jumper fix?

Shut down should work ok nobody reporting otherwise (yet), there are still issues with restart after a sleep even with OpenHaltRestart.kext (& similar). MasterChief has been having issues on the PRO board with shutdown and is working on a solution via new code in dsdt. It's due out very soon (V3.2).

Post your dsl and lets have a look see if there's anything obvious.

D

Hello,

Here is my BIOS (ver 901) config:

Diskette A : disabled

SATA: AHCI, enhanced

JumperFree config: all set to AUTO except for Dram Timing Control, manual (5-5-5-15)

USB (from up to down): enabled, enabled, high speed, enabled, auto

CPU (from up to down): auto, enabled, disabled, all the rest enabled

North bridge config (from up to down): enabled, PEG/PCI, disabled, auto, disabled

onboard devices (from up to down): enabled, hd audio, enabled, disabled, enabled, disabled, disabled, disabled

Plug&Play: yes

Power (from up to down): auto, disabled, enabled, enabled

APM (from up to down): power off, disabled all the rest

I have vanilla system with EFI partition and chameleon RC3

Two SATA devices connected, Jmicron controller disabled in BIOS, keyboard/mouse USB.

kexts in /EFI partition/Extra/Extensions/ from P5KVM_10.6.2_Kexts provided from this thread (not modified)

EvOreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

P5K-VM.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

dsdt_linux.aml.zip from linux dump. I have made some minor change like for sound (from previous DB1 dsdt)

P5KVM_E6750_3.1_dsdt.dsl modified for my CPU and JMicron removed.

My system shutdown with linux dump but not with v3.1

Voilà!

Eric

Hello,

Here is my BIOS (ver 901) config:

Not looked at your dsl yet but you gave a clue in the first line. The dsdt v3.1 is built up off a dsdt extracted from Bios v1001 and is possibly the reason for your sleep issues with this dsdt. It's possible to make the fixes and improvements off the 901 bios / dsdt but it may be a lot of work. EasierBetter to upgrade bios (and check the USB jumpers) or stay with your current set up if everything works for you.

I'll check the files anyway.

Try this one: 901V3.1.zip Fortunately the only difference I could see against my clean linux extract was the "OperationRegion (Bios," address

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0x7FF8E064, 0xFF)
Field (BIOS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)

yours being 0xCFF8E064 so have put that into your 3.1 dsdt.aml and compiled.

Let us know how it goes.

Well, I try without a DSDT and sleep hangs the computer, so that's not an option, apparently Snow Leopard change the way it interact with the hardware as Leopard do, was worth the try because we are trimming the problem. I want to make clear that the only things that are not completely perfect with Snow now are the wake up from keyboard and mouse ( in my case I use a wireless combo ) and the card reader problem, but the last one really don't bother me because I have reader in my printer that I can use instead, still is not the total functionality we want.

P.S. I now remember that in Leopard we need to use the IOUSBFamily_3.4.9.1 kext to have proper function of the USB's, so that point also to the USB's been the problem.

I have a card reader somewhere, if I can find it I'll hook it up and see what happens and let you know.

Update: Installed, running no issues at all. Sleep works as before.

post-170015-1258414569_thumb.png

Going back over previous post I checked the dsdt you posted at #683 and discovered maybe you have the same/similar error as mala-zaba.

My code

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0x7FF8E064, 0xFF) // This must be the same address as you acquired when you extracted your own dsdt

Your code at post 683

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0xBFF8E064, 0xFF)

So if you used my dsdt v3.1 without changing this that could be the problem.

Change the code to 0xBFF8E064 and try again.