[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Hi gurus,

i still have problem with my SL installation:

VIDEO

I followed the above instructions and used EFI strings to set up my video card: 8500gt 1024M.

It works fine at 1280x960, 60Hz, but:

• it does not show me if Quartz extreme is supported or not (as 10.5 does);
  • i cannot switch to 75Hz !

AUDIO

audio does not work with any kext (voodoo, AppleHda, etc..);

Mybe I'll fix my problems patching my dsdt file but I have any competence to to that.

attached my dsdt file (changed bin in txt in order to upload)

Can You help me please?

Attached my dsdt extraction from everest (in windows).

My CPU: Core Duo E650 2,33 ghz

my video: 8500 GT 1024M

mb: p5k-vm

1 pci card for firewire

6g ram

thanks a lot!!

acpi_dsdt.txt

Here are my files. You should get all working with them (except sleep). My DSDT file should be OK for you.

P5KVM_Extra.zip

Make sure you have chameleon RC3 installed and then replace the /boot file with the lastest PCEFI release from netkas site.

Replace the entire /Extra folder, run Kext Utility once (get it on the net) and reboot.

BlackCH, You are so kind..

I did exactly what You suggested, but still no sound..

mybe there is some kext conflicting..

attached are my kext in System/Library/Extensions....could You check if there are some to delete?

I also attached 2 System Profiler view (Hardware Overview and Graphics/Display).

thanks a lot !!!

post-151147-1257010609_thumb.png

post-151147-1257010626_thumb.png

post-151147-1257010642_thumb.png

post-151147-1257010656_thumb.png

post-151147-1257010667_thumb.png

post-151147-1257010676_thumb.png

post-151147-1257010686_thumb.png

post-151147-1257010691_thumb.png

Elviejo, first of all thanks..

some simple questions:

1. can I imply load the dsdt attached by You (aren't our processors different? aren't our hard disks different?)

2. I also have a PCI Firewire card, does the dsdt do have to describe it?

3. do I have to delete all similar (with the same name) kext in my installation and copy the ones attached by You?

thanks again

pippo

No, never use the DSDT of other computer, even if the motherboard are the same you probably have different cpu, bios, etc. The best option is to make one of your computer and then add the audio and Lan ( if you use the ones integrated in your computer ) and the fixes for usb, they are the same for this motherboard ( The usb's probably have different names but that's only esthetics ), after you do that you can use the legacy kexts for audio and ethernet, the PCI Firewire card you don't need to add in the DSDT, it's going to be recognized by the system if is supported. Remember, I use the EFI option by 18seven guide, I think is the more flexible, but that's a question of choice, also, on Snow Leopard the only way to know if you have QE/CI is probing with an app. like Chess or dropping a widget in the Desktop. Good luck. :)

Here are my files. You should get all working with them (except sleep). My DSDT file should be OK for you.

P5KVM_Extra.zip

Make sure you have chameleon RC3 installed and then replace the /boot file with the lastest PCEFI release from netkas site.

Replace the entire /Extra folder, run Kext Utility once (get it on the net) and reboot.

BlackCH, what problem you have with sleep?. I was having problems to and I solved it fixing the usb's on the DSDT and using the attached app.PleaseSleep.dmg

a couple of problems with sleep I havent been able to solve;

-the machine wakes by itself just after sleep

or

-sleep proper but USB devices not waking (need replug)

In all cases the sequence SLEEP>WAKE>RESTART result in CMOS reset.

This might not be related with the mobo itself, but with the GFX, memory or some other piece of HW connected.

Could you attach your DSDT.dsl file so I can compare it with mine?

Thanx in advance!

ok many thanks to BlackCH.

The applehda.kext was missing, now is in S/L/E, I can see in System Preference - Sound the right Input/Output and everything seems working fine.

to BlackCH: witch CPU are You using?

I am a little bit afraid in case mine (e6550 2,33 ghz) is different form Your (I am using Your dsdt file !!)wacko.gif

Thanks again.

Pipporolleyes.gif

a couple of problems with sleep I havent been able to solve;

-the machine wakes by itself just after sleep

or

-sleep proper but USB devices not waking (need replug)

In all cases the sequence SLEEP>WAKE>RESTART result in CMOS reset.

This might not be related with the mobo itself, but with the GFX, memory or some other piece of HW connected.

Could you attach your DSDT.dsl file so I can compare it with mine?

Thanx in advance!

Sure, glad to help.dsdt.dsl.zip

to BlackCH: witch CPU are You using?

same as you, so dont worry;

AFAIK unless there is SST data for a specific CPU on the DSDT theres no problem to load another machine's DSDT.

Although you need to know what my DSDT includes:

-CST injection (you should get better temperatures; 10°-15° less than before)

-SMBUS and EC added devices

-HPET & RTC fixes

-OnBoard HPET-Firewire IRQ conflict fix

-Timemachine fix

-Removed many unused devices

-Devices renamed to MAC device names

-Native AHCI support (you are FORCED to use SATA AHCI mode, if you use IDE mode you will get a kernel panic on boot)

-HDEF ALC883 properties injection

-It DOES NOT include GFX injection; Im using chameleon's graphic enabler with a 7600GT MAC rom

-Theres problems with the sleep function. If you use PleaseSleep.app as elviejo suggested the machine will sleep and wake up but USB devices need replug and you get CMOS reset on restart (at least I do).

best thing you can do is decompile my dsdt and compare with yours to see what is done and make your own with the patches for your needs.

Dear BlackCH

You have been a boon to us since your 10.5.6 was out...

I've been using it since over a year and so have tons of my friends.

Just that Now In Snow Leopard,

Sound is the only problem..

More so... Surround Sound and Mic IN.

well.. I've tried understanding the way DSDT works...

Many of its C++ Object oriented constructs...

But then... This old Jeezer had given up on coding since more than 15 years....

Now I m trying to get back to my roots.. but a lot has changed...

Today.... the best I've been able to do is extract the DSDT.dsl file in Windows 7 using ACPIpatcher,

then modifying it to include the GFX0 section, etc... also discovered... how you can get SHUTDOWN to work.

for those whose PCs, and CPUs fans and Motherboard doesn't power down when sutting down from Snow Leo.

for this I shall be putting up a guide soon..

it's a very small adjustment

Lastly.... the purpose of this post is to request whether I maty ask for your working DSDT.dsl or DSDT.aml file...that I can study and get Sound working...

Please... It is my humble request...

And I wish to do so with a new install of SnowLeo as on Sunday Nov 1st... I broke my SnowLeo Install.

The problem was I uninstalled iWork 09 using CleanAPp

And it ruined some CoreServices Framworks for Finder crashesquits upon login.. immediately...

So I do need an urgent re-install.

Please I request if you areactive currently can u immediately post your version of patched DSDT with the sound fix...

GFX section I know how to insert..

but it is the multi-sound PinConfigs and Mic IN that really I am unable to grasp the workings of...

-Respect & Regards,

Freaky Chokra.

Seems like he's not around at the moment!

Put this between Device (GBEC) & (USB0) and add the attached kexts - should sort your audio.

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x83, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x73, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x07)
                           {
                               "ALC883"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x20)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x50, 0x41, 0x01, 0x01, 0x40, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x10, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x30, 0x01, 0x10, 0x90, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x60, 0xE1, 0x45, 0x01, 0x20, 0xE1, 0xC5, 0x01
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

ALC883.zip

I used BlackHC's DSDT and the P5K-VM.kext but I still have high temperatures. CSTInfo shows in IORegistryExplorer and VoodooMonitor shows that the frequency is jumping. Only the voltage does not drop, indicating that C-States are not actually working.

I did not use the smbios.plist that BlackHC provided because I would not get any temp readings if I set MacPro1,1 - I did not investigate this further and just set it to MacPro3,1 Also, in P5K-VM.kext in the C-States dict, the model to which these are applied are set to "DUMMY", is that correct?

I would be glad for any help that I can get regarding this because I would really like to have a cooler and quieter Hackintosh!

Thanks,

Leon

EDIT: BTW my sleep works fine, no USB replug issues or anything!

EDIT2: OMFG, BlackHC you are now officially my hero! Keyboard wakeup works and my Magic Mouse reconnects without delay after wakeup! Just like a real Mac!

I used BlackHC's DSDT and the P5K-VM.kext but I still have high temperatures. CSTInfo shows in IORegistryExplorer and VoodooMonitor shows that the frequency is jumping. Only the voltage does not drop, indicating that C-States are not actually working.

I did not use the smbios.plist that BlackHC provided because I would not get any temp readings if I set MacPro1,1 - I did not investigate this further and just set it to MacPro3,1 Also, in P5K-VM.kext in the C-States dict, the model to which these are applied are set to "DUMMY", is that correct?

I would be glad for any help that I can get regarding this because I would really like to have a cooler and quieter Hackintosh!

Thanks,

Leon

EDIT2: OMFG, BlackHC you are now officially my hero! Keyboard wakeup works and my Magic Mouse reconnects without delay after wakeup! Just like a real Mac!

I'm intrigued that a problematic dsdt for BlackCH works flawless for you - I also am having sleep issues. Can you provide more detail on your hardware and anything else plugged in (USB / Firewire / bluetooth etc.)

Seems like he's not around at the moment!

Put this between Device (GBEC) & (USB0) and add the attached kexts - should sort your audio.

Respect and Regards DB1...!!!

Since long.... I've been following your work.. but never got time to provide any input or help to others....

Till.. now when I can now spare some time for online participation...

Firstly..a zillion thanks for the code... and the extremely appreciated help.

And just that .. as BlackCH isn't here...

I suppose this is the same HDEF insertion in the DSDT.dsl (-> DSDT.aml compiled) for every one that uses the

ASUS P5K-VM (whatever revision) and with BIOS vedrsion 1001....? Right?

[myself wishes :) I hope I am right and this fixes the problem... sigh]

and that after this patch... just asking....

Three things:

ONE: :unsure:

I shouldn't include / drop any other KEXTs except that you attached in your reply.. :angel:

[by this I mean ...no VoodooHDA or Azalia (i never used Azalia.. so forget about it.)]

in either /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

or /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/

right?

SECOND: :blink:

and that I should not modify or alter the vanilla... native 64bit AppleHDA.kext that already installs by default... right? :blink:

[myself wishes :D I hope I am right and this fixes the problem... sigh]

AND

THIRD: :wacko:

The code for DSDT that you have posted... would enable multi-channel surround out.....right?

[myself wishes :rolleyes: I hope it does and provides multichannel out using Aggregate Device Method ... sigh]

That's it...Thanks a zillion once again....

Till next time, Awaiting your reply.... DB1 & BlackCH..... [bows, bows, bows] ;):P:D

-Thanks & Regards,

Freaky Chokra

:wacko:;)

I suppose this is the same HDEF insertion in the DSDT.dsl (-> DSDT.aml compiled) for every one that uses the

ASUS P5K-VM (whatever revision) and with BIOS vedrsion 1001....?

Correct.

I shouldn't include / drop any other KEXTs except that you attached in your reply..

Correct, no Azalia or VoodooHDA needed (They are other methods to get audio but not the best for P5K VM)

and that I should not modify or alter the vanilla... native 64bit AppleHDA.kext that already installs by default... right?

Correct.

The code for DSDT that you have posted... would enable multi-channel surround out.....right?

Correct. The combination of the kexts & the code enable this.

I'm intrigued that a problematic dsdt for BlackCH works flawless for you - I also am having sleep issues. Can you provide more detail on your hardware and anything else plugged in (USB / Firewire / bluetooth etc.)

My Exact Hardware: P5K-VM BIOS 1001 with Intel E8400. 1 800Mhz 2GB RAM Stick. nVidia 7900GT 256MB (activated by EFI-string). Devices: Apple Keyboard, cheap wireless Trust mouse, Bluetooth with expensive Apple Magic Mouse :) and of course the usual stuff, Ethernet, audio in/out, DVI.

My Exact Software setup:

com.apple.Boot.plist contains only EFI string, no kernel flags (though for the past day for testing I have been booting with dropSSDT=yes manually, don't know if that makes a difference...)

I have attached my SystemProfiler output so you can see all the Extensions I have installed and all the wonderful Software I run, as well as my IOReg so that you can see that it really shows CSTInfo!

As the files are too big for uploading here, I uploaded them to my server:

http://ks37555.kimsufi.com/~leon/Stockholm%20SysProfiler.spx

http://ks37555.kimsufi.com/~leon/Stockholm-IOReg.ioreg

I hope that helps you pinpoint the problem on your system. As said, on my system I get everything working a charm except the temperature does not drop. Actually I have my case open a bit all the time so the air from the CPU can rise directly out of the case... So if you could give me a hint on how to get the temperatures down, that would be awesome!

Cheers!

Leon

Leo333

Can you post also your dsdt.dsl and the output from kextstat in terminal also a screen grab of voodoo monitor P-states tab. I have spotted something that might sort out your temperatures issue. And have a lead on my sleep issues.

I'm busy at work at the moment but will have some time this evening to try and sort things out (GMT).

Thanks

Lastly.... the purpose of this post is to request whether I maty ask for your working DSDT.dsl or DSDT.aml file...that I can study and get Sound working...

DSDT.aml is attached in post #677 together with the kexts Im using at the moment. My DSDT is heavily based on Master Chief's one at the PK5-Pro thread. Check that too

If you set the model to something else then you have to modify P5K-VM.kext: delete any macpro3.1 entry (or replace for a non matching model) and replace the macpro1.1 to whatever model you set your machine. But first try different models (imacs for instance) to see if those works better with your CPU.

The FakeSMC.kext on post #677 is a modified version that allow to read CPU temperatures with iStat. You could use that instead VoodooMonitor to see if it works with the machine model set to 'MacPro1,1'.

I'm intrigued that a problematic dsdt for BlackCH works flawless for you

Me too! :wacko: Im pretty sure that is not the board itself but the combination of components... my bet is the CPU or GFX are the problem.

DB1, could you send me or attach your last DSDT.aml? Im busy these days but in the weekend I might find sometime to compare mine with it. Thanks!

Leo333

Can you post also your dsdt.dsl and the output from kextstat in terminal also a screen grab of voodoo monitor P-states tab. I have spotted something that might sort out your temperatures issue. And have a lead on my sleep issues.

I'm busy at work at the moment but will have some time this evening to try and sort things out (GMT).

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to look into my issues, I really appreciate that!

Now that you say it, my voltage does actually drop about 0.02 below the lowest P-State, but that might just be that the board is a bit weirdo in that regard. I am actually using exactly BlackHC's DSDT, I will post it anyway.

EDIT: @BlackHC: I tried using your smbios.plist with MacPro1,1 And the modified fakeSMC.kext. I can now see the temperature in iStat (Awesome!) but it is still at the usual 54˚C idle :P

EDIT: 0.02 Volt instead of 0.2 Volt

DSDT.dsl.zip

post-67328-1257262993_thumb.png

post-67328-1257263005_thumb.png

stockholm_kextstat.txt

Thanks for taking the time to look into my issues, I really appreciate that!

Now that you say it, my voltage does actually drop about 0.02 below the lowest P-State, but that might just be that the board is a bit weirdo in that regard. I am actually using exactly BlackHC's DSDT, I will post it anyway.

EDIT: @BlackHC: I tried using your smbios.plist with MacPro1,1 And the modified fakeSMC.kext. I can now see the temperature in iStat (Awesome!) but it is still at the usual 54˚C idle :(

EDIT: 0.02 Volt instead of 0.2 Volt

Leon, I notice your IOREG shows only 2 Performance step arrays although Voodoo monitor output is showing 4 p-states & they are auto injecting as you have nothing in dsdt to inject them. I had the same at the outset of trying speed stepping so I injected via dsdt & get the six native to my CPU.

Also I see in IOREG CStateOverride - Boolean - true, which i have not seen in any of my playing with speedstep I just have CSTinfo. BlackCH do you see this value in yours? I'm thinking that this is because you are auto loading p-state but over riding c-state where i'm injecting both.

Attached is my latest dsdt brought up to same as MasterChief V3.0 + a few alterations he will include in his next update. I have modified the PSS section to reflect the p-states for your CPU so you should see 4 p-states in IOREG. I'd appreciate if you can try it and feedback. If it works for you and you still have all sleep functionality it will confirm for me the the dsdt is ok and that mine & blackCH's sleep problems are related to our CPU's or Video cards or the method we use for video injection.

V3.0_dsdt.zip

Re temperatures: the values you see in Voodoo monitor & istat are incorrect for our mobo. The best way to check is via Hardware monitor in bios but obviously you will only see an idle temp. I noticed it out by 12c (Voodoo out by approx 10c).

What i did was to alter the tjmax value on the plist for the new fakeSMC (by oldnapalm) from 100 to 90 and recompiled it, now istat shows me a value similar to what I see in bios hardware monitor. It's possible similar can be done with Voodoo monitor but I've not looked at that yet.

fakesmc.kext.zip

@DB1; Several weeks ago, I took the DSDT you posted on post #656 for Q6600 CPU (which is what I have), and removed the video card code from it, instead put the EFI video string into my .boot.plist, dropped the LegacyYukon2 directly into /S/L/E (would not work otherwise), and dropped the rest of your kexts into /Extra, and had everything working including sleep. Restart after sleeping hangs up at restart, but does not corrupt CMOS. Sleep and restart otherwise works 100% of the time, as well as shut down. In fact, everything works, all the time. (Machine is all SATA, no IDE).

Now, here is an interesting observation. I cloned this set-up on another almost identical machine. But that machine does not sleep, instead, immediately wakes. Interestingly, that machine has an IDE DVD drive which is not recognized (I guess JMicron kext does not work in this set-up), and machine would not sleep as I indicated. Could IDE be the source of sleep issues?

@DB1; Several weeks ago, I took the DSDT you posted on post #656 for Q6600 CPU (which is what I have), and removed the video card code from it, instead put the EFI video string into my .boot.plist, dropped the LegacyYukon2 directly into /S/L/E (would not work otherwise), and dropped the rest of your kexts into /Extra, and had everything working including sleep. Restart after sleeping hangs up at restart, but does not corrupt CMOS. Sleep and restart otherwise works 100% of the time, as well as shut down. In fact, everything works, all the time. (Machine is all SATA, no IDE).

Now, here is an interesting observation. I cloned this set-up on another almost identical machine. But that machine does not sleep, instead, immediately wakes. Interestingly, that machine has an IDE DVD drive which is not recognized (I guess JMicron kext does not work in this set-up), and machine would not sleep as I indicated. Could IDE be the source of sleep issues?

Thanks for the feedback, strangely I have not had proper working sleep since I left 10.5.7. I do have ATA DVD writers but have tried disabling and removing the jmicron from dsdt but still not sleeping. Thinking out load I don't recall disabling in bios! Something else to try.

I have not tried EFI string for video as by all account EFIstudio does not work with snowy and I don't have a 10.5 install anymore. I'll have to dig through all my files or google. Currently my video is via Chameleon auto detection same as BlackCH.

UPDATE: disabled jmicron in bios, put in efi string for video on com.apple.Boot.plist, took JMB0 out of dsdt - no difference in sleep. Still awaiting confirmation on the dsdt that it will sleep for others but I'm drawn to the idea the sleep issue is CPU related.

If you want to try the new dsdt just change the PSS section to what you currently have and it should be good to go. It would be helpful to get another opinion on whether it works ok.

Leon, I notice your IOREG shows only 2 Performance step arrays although Voodoo monitor output is showing 4 p-states & they are auto injecting as you have nothing in dsdt to inject them. I had the same at the outset of trying speed stepping so I injected via dsdt & get the six native to my CPU.

Also I see in IOREG CStateOverride - Boolean - true, which i have not seen in any of my playing with speedstep I just have CSTinfo. BlackCH do you see this value in yours? I'm thinking that this is because you are auto loading p-state but over riding c-state where i'm injecting both.

No, I dont have that value on the IOreg at the moment. I didnt add the PPS data on the DSDT 'cos it seems to work fine just with the ones on the SSDT tables. My CPU has only two states and they appear in the IOreg just fine.

post-51637-1257343304_thumb.jpg

I had 'CStateOverride' value while playing with the SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext. Whenever I had this value on the IOReg my CPU was hotter as before(+10-15°); This changed when I replaced the 'iMac5,1' (I dont remember exactly if that was the model I replaced, sorry) with MacPro1,1 in the plist. This data is included in the P5K-VM.kext if you want to compare it with your legacy kext.

@DB1: Your DSDT works like a charm, I can sleep, wake up, it now even steps up to the multipliers in between, i.e. I no longer get jumping between 6.0x and 9.0x but just occasionally it jumps up 7.0x. I think I am going to replace BlackHC's DSDT with yours permanently. Thanks for taking the time to figure out my _PSS table!

Now, I think the CStateOverride was because I had booted with dropSSDT=yes. Now that I booted without this argument it's gone... Will update later when I reboot to check if it really is that.

Temperatures: I checked in the BIOS and actually in there they were about 54˚ idle as well. At first I nearly freaked out but then I googled and discovered that this CPU is known for reporting whacky temperatures. Just google "E8400 temperature problems" and you'll see what I mean. The machine has been running stable for over a year now with occasional video encoding and games. Ubuntu also reports 54˚C, so I am skeptical about wether this value reported by the CPU is correct. I did a load test and it went up to a warm but not alarming 62˚C. An idle-load difference of 10˚C seems about right, but that still does not explain why I did not see the temperatures drop dramatically after getting C-States to work but only by about 5˚C. Maybe the temperature is stuck at 50˚C - I have actually never seen it below 50˚C, even after waking up from sleep in a cold room it still reports 50-51˚C - weird?!

Anyway, I am not too worried anymore about the temperatures anymore because the 1001 BIOS fixed my fan issues - my computer is now pretty quiet - not entirely but it's OK. I still have to keep my case open a tiny bit but that's fine, it doesn't bother me too much.

If you want me to test anything else in relation to your sleep issues that helps you pinpoint why it's failing I would be happy to do so - I'll be watching this thread.

Cheers!

Leon

Sure, glad to help.dsdt.dsl.zip

@elviejo

could you test if you get sleep working with mine or DB1 lastest DSDT files (posts #694 and #695)?

As leo333 has the same CPU as you have, if you get sleep working with those DSDT (like him), it will confirm that sleep issues some of us are having are related to the CPU and not to the board.

@DB1: what CPU are you using?