[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Have posted a dsdt.dsl here:P5K VM dsl - c & p states + Chiefs sbus injection

My dsdt has been in daily (hourly) development and this is the very latest with speed stepping, cst error fix and Chiefs sbus injection. Be very careful using this as your cpu (mine is E4500 OC'd to 2.915 MHz) & video (Nvidia 8400 gs) will be different and you could really mess things up - like fry your cpu! - better to use for reference and patch with your own hardware info.

many thanks DB1.

DB1 could you make a dsdt for my specs (intel e8400, gf9800 gt 512mb, p5k-vm 1001 bios)?

I would need a dsdt.dsl extracted from your pc to have a reasonable chance of doing this and some info about the cpu i.e. p-states using CPUi or info from someone who has same cpu and has speed stepping working.

Many thanks for DB1 for posting the updated guide. Everything is now working fine. No QE though, as running chess will give me a kernel panic. I'd like to make a custom dsdt but am a little afraid to do it. Is there a detail guide somewhere to show how to do this?

The other thing I'd like to have is to boot off of the HD instead of the USB stick. All the guides I've seen seem to need the HD to have a MBR partition, but my HD is already GPT. From what DB1 is saying it seems like the 18seven method would work for me, but somehow the msiwind.net forum is not working right now.

Can someone post the detailed 18seven method here?

Thanks much!

There are a few guides about in the forum but the pace that the development is moving means there's not one guide that does it all. Best to learn the basics by reading the early stuff where the dsdt patcher was posted DSDT patcher to get an understanding then when you can extract your own you can compare with others that are posted in this thread and others.

If I can find time I might do an 18seven writeup for our mobo / install. But the principles and the script over on his wind post should be enough to do whats needed only the kext set differs and thats available here.

to make a dsdt.dsl file,must erase first your dsdt.aml file(which i use) from extra folder. then boot pc without any dsdt.aml file and then use dsdt patcher to make my dsdt.dsl file?

Any link for cpu i to download??

You can do it from a Linux live CD, or use Everest Corporate Edition v5.01.1700 or higher under windows to dump the ACPI tables (DSDT, SSDT, etc).

Read up:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=359

thanks to DB1. i used as reference his dsdt and patched mine (clean dsdt for q6600 p5k-vm 1001 bios). all working except sleep (waked up after 1 sec).

anyway, if DB1 have some time to look at my patched and unpatched .dsl files to see if something is wrong, he will help lot of ppl with q6600-p5k-vm combination.

thanks in advance

my gfx is 8500 GT 256mb

my untouched dsl: dsdt.dsl.zip

my patched dsl: dsdt.dsl.zip

ps. sorry for my bad EN... :star_smile:

thanks to DB1. i used as reference his dsdt and patched mine (clean dsdt for q6600 p5k-vm 1001 bios). all working except sleep (waked up after 1 sec).

anyway, if DB1 have some time to look at my patched and unpatched .dsl files to see if something is wrong, he will help lot of ppl with q6600-p5k-vm combination.

thanks in advance

my gfx is 8500 GT 256mb

my untouched dsl: dsdt.dsl.zip

my patched dsl: dsdt.dsl.zip

ps. sorry for my bad EN... ;)

Ok have tidied it up and changed the p-states, you were lucky I managed to find the p-states thanks to Roisoft post on the speed stepping thread (you had used the ones to match my cpu).

Try this and let us know:

P5KVM_Q6600cpu_8500gt.zip

General - Its important to note that the PSS section has to have settings suitable for your CPU otherwise you can do serious damage.

Ok have tidied it up and changed the p-states, you were lucky I managed to find the p-states thanks to Roisoft post on the speed stepping thread (you had used the ones to match my cpu).

Try this and let us know:

P5KVM_Q6600cpu_8500gt.zip

General - Its important to note that the PSS section has to have settings suitable for your CPU otherwise you can do serious damage.

many many thanks DB1! i will test tonight (now i'm at work...)

thanks in advance

my gfx is 8500 GT 256mb

Could you tell which revision of the P5KVM do you have? This is usually printed on the board together with its name. Would be usefull, since I notice your UHCI devices are addressed different than mine (Rev 1.02G)...

Could you tell which revision of the P5KVM do you have? This is usually printed on the board together with its name. Would be usefull, since I notice your UHCI devices are addressed different than mine (Rev 1.02G)...

@DB1: curious but dsdt with ur p-states working better for me (cpu 36 degrees) than dsdt with p-states coresponding 'Roisoft post on the speed stepping thread' (44 degrees). in rest no difference...

@BlackCH: P5k-VM/P3-P5G33/DP_MB Rev 1.02G (motherboard of ASUS Barebone P3-P5G33 flashed with bios 1001 for P5K-VM stock)

@DB1and @BlackCH : Could you help me with dsdt file.

Are the files that have uploaded right?

Be patient we are busy cleaning up our own with the latest developments.

You could help by finding a GFX0 dsdt section for your video card.

For GFX0 for 9800Gt i found this

Device (PCI0)

{

Device (PEGP)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)

Device (GFX0)

{

Name (_ADR, Zero)

Name (_SUN, One)

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x16)

{

"@0,compatible",

Buffer (0x0B)

{

"NVDA,NVMac"

},

"@0,device_type",

Buffer (0x08)

{

"display"

},

"@0,name",

Buffer (0x0F)

{

"NVDA,Display-A"

},

"@1,compatible",

Buffer (0x0B)

{

"NVDA,NVMac"

},

"@1,device_type",

Buffer (0x08)

{

"display"

},

"@1,name",

Buffer (0x0F)

{

"NVDA,Display-B"

},

"NVCAP",

Buffer (0x18)

{

/* 0000 */ 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00,

/* 0008 */ 0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07,

/* 0010 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"VRAM,totalsize",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20

},

"device_type",

Buffer (0x0D)

{

"NVDA,GeForce"

},

"model",

Buffer (0x17)

{

"nVidia GeForce 9800 GT"

},

"rom-revision",

Buffer (0x25)

{

"nVidia GeForce 9800 GT OpenGL Engine"

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

Thank you very much I will try it

same here.... just waiting for the work day to end to try @ home...

hope this one works...

though DSDT patching for ALC883 ICH9 Audio has worked..except that the centre out and SUb out doesn't work when configuring in audio/midi setup.

can anyone shed some light... please?

Please can someone post 18seven's boot method (or any other method) for installing the bootloader for booting off the GPT partition? The msiwind.net forums has been down for a number of days now so I can't get the info from there. I am also hoping to reclaim the space on the usb stick that I am boot from at the moment.

Thanks so much!

Please can someone post 18seven's boot method (or any other method) for installing the bootloader for booting off the GPT partition? The msiwind.net forums has been down for a number of days now so I can't get the info from there. I am also hoping to reclaim the space on the usb stick that I am boot from at the moment.

Thanks so much!

Take a look here: 18seven Method

The Vanilla folder in the download is for MSI Wind so just replace the kexts with those needed for P5K VM - the important bit is the principal and the ./update.sh script.

BlackHC: I saw in your sig that you have your P5K-VM inside a G4 case. I have the exact same setup! Could you post some pictures to show how you handle the airflow? I always keep my case open, otherwise the CPU gets really hot (at least under OS X). If you want I can post some pictures as well, if you want to see my dirty back-panel removal :)

Just as a status, Snow Leopard working fully here, only IDE drives don't show up. Meh, I can live without it.

BlackHC: I saw in your sig that you have your P5K-VM inside a G4 case. I have the exact same setup! Could you post some pictures to show how you handle the airflow? I always keep my case open, otherwise the CPU gets really hot (at least under OS X). If you want I can post some pictures as well, if you want to see my dirty back-panel removal :)

Just as a status, Snow Leopard working fully here, only IDE drives don't show up. Meh, I can live without it.

Such a small case; is very difficult to get a good airflow... I made a custom 'extra-slim' enclosure for the PSU and fitted above the DVD drive bay; that clears up the space on top (or on the side) the CPU. Theres two 80mm vent/fan: one on the front/botom (facing the floor) and other in the back (where the PSU out-take normally is) blowing directly towards the CPU. I will do a blow hole on the side (I know is a shame for the case) as soon as the summer returns .

Another thing that helped is having CStates working; temperatures droped 15 deegres. Now idles at 40°. I'll post some pictures as soon as I find sometime to take them. But not here; we can open a thread at the Mod-overclocking section to share the pictures, etc

Hi,

coming from previous 10.5 installations, yesterday I installed SL on my p5k-vm using the myhack method with SL retail.

software updated to 10.6.1.

never used dsdt, I am using Chameleon v2.0-RC3 r658 (build date 2009-09-06)

I had to work a little bit to fix the ethernet (now works) but I still have problems with Graphics (no QE) and Audio (no Audio input, no Audio output).

here my data:

p5k-vm

Core2 Duo E6550 2,33ghz

6G ram

8500 GT 1024M

BIOS 1001

could any good man provide me the correct dsdt file (will I fix the above problems with it)?

many many thanks,

PIPPO :unsure:

Hi,

coming from previous 10.5 installations, yesterday I installed SL on my p5k-vm using the myhack method with SL retail.

software updated to 10.6.1.

never used dsdt, I am using Chameleon v2.0-RC3 r658 (build date 2009-09-06)

I had to work a little bit to fix the ethernet (now works) but I still have problems with Graphics (no QE) and Audio (no Audio input, no Audio output).

here my data:

p5k-vm

Core2 Duo E6550 2,33ghz

6G ram

8500 GT 1024M

BIOS 1001

could any good man provide me the correct dsdt file (will I fix the above problems with it)?

many many thanks,

PIPPO :lol:

You can get video using EFI strings, but, as long I can know, without a DSDT you are going to have several problems as, sleep problems, usb failures and several other minors annoyances, my experience is to use a DSDT without the graphics and to use EFI strings for the graphic card, that way if you change the graphic card you don't need to mess with the DSDT, you can use the attached files if you want (beware this files are used using the EFI partition method by 18seven). Good luck.AsusP5K_VM.zip

You can get video using EFI strings, but, as long I can know, without a DSDT you are going to have several problems as, sleep problems, usb failures and several other minors annoyances, my experience is to use a DSDT without the graphics and to use EFI strings for the graphic card, that way if you change the graphic card you don't need to mess with the DSDT, you can use the attached files if you want (beware this files are used using the EFI partition method by 18seven). Good luck.AsusP5K_VM.zip

Elviejo, first of all thanks..

some simple questions:

1. can I imply load the dsdt attached by You (aren't our processors different? aren't our hard disks different?)

2. I also have a PCI Firewire card, does the dsdt do have to describe it?

3. do I have to delete all similar (with the same name) kext in my installation and copy the ones attached by You?

thanks again

pippo

You can get video using EFI strings...

You can also use Chamelon's (or PCEFI's) graphic enabler function. If you have any card that is bundled originally with macs you can even load its EFI rom. Is what I do with my 7600GT