[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Yes, but they don't load from E/E, I have to put them in S/L/E ( OpenHaltRestart and SleepEnabler ),something I notice looking at your dsdt.aml is that you have only six usb ports, I have eight, how it's this possible with the same mobo?, thake a look at my dsdt.dsdt.aml.zip

Had a look, I have same number - they are just named different. I.e. 2 are EHCI (High Speed) and the other 6 are UHCI

If you are running with EFI Partition "18seven" then these kexts for sleep, wake, shut down, restart are working on my rig. If not they will work in E/E anyway. Don't forget to update your cache / repair permissions.

SleepKexts.zip

Anyone hacking away to getCPU speed stepping seeing as we don't have to disable CPUPowerManagement in Snowy?

Have got P - states working, LPCB loading via dsdt and AppleLPC.kext loading but c - states are driving me crazy! Anyone playing ? anyone made progress?

Here's my latest working dsdt (no c states) - beware your CPU, Video and other things could be different to what I have so don't blame me if you mash your system using this. Have removed SleepEnabler since using this dsdt - still need OHR though.

dsdt.dsl.zip

Here's the headache:

Speed Stepping

Had a look, I have same number - they are just named different. I.e. 2 are EHCI (High Speed) and the other 6 are UHCI

If you are running with EFI Partition "18seven" then these kexts for sleep, wake, shut down, restart are working on my rig. If not they will work in E/E anyway. Don't forget to update your cache / repair permissions.

SleepKexts.zip

Anyone hacking away to getCPU speed stepping seeing as we don't have to disable CPUPowerManagement in Snowy?

Have got P - states working, LPCB loading via dsdt and AppleLPC.kext loading but c - states are driving me crazy! Anyone playing ? anyone made progress?

Link is broken, can you upload again?, Thanks.

They are the same I have before, this problem is driving me crazy, any special configuration in the bios?, what bios version are you running?, somewhere must be a detail causing this.

1001Bios - with some BlackCH trickery to make it look nice otherwise stock.

My Vanilla Folder contents "18seven" method (EFIkexts are what's currently loaded + dsdt, smbios,Boot.plist) Snowy partition completely untouched.

post-170015-1253492033_thumb.png

Yep, same I'm using; something I notice is a usb card reader I have when the rig goes to sleep it turn of but when wake up a second later the light indicator tells me it's not working as they suppose to be, I think something is not working as supposed to be with my usbs.

Eureka! the problem is my backup aps, if disconnected the computer sleep ok., now to find why, because in leopard it works ok.

If the machine is being to sleep, I have CMOS reset problem after restart (actually the computer does not restart by itself; needs hard reset).

Does this happens to you too? Could you test it?

If the machine is being to sleep, I have CMOS reset problem after restart (actually the computer does not restart by itself; needs hard reset).

Does this happens to you too? Could you test it?

The only time I have had CMOS resetting is when I have been messing around with my dsdt - and I have done a lot of that recently! Not had it trip out with sleep at all.

Running 64 bit.

Hibernation mode 0

JMicronATA,LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfig,LegacyHDAController,LegacyHDAPLatformDri

ver,LegacyYukon2,PlatformUUID,fakeSMC.

No shutdown, No Restart, minor issue MS USB mouse does not wake, but Apple USB keyboard does!

JMicronATA,LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfig,LegacyHDAController,LegacyHDAPLatformDri

ver,LegacyYukon2,OpenHaltRestart,PlatformUUID,fakeSMC.SleepEnabler.

Everything working - except as before the mouse from wake.

ver,LegacyYukon2,OpenHaltRestart,PlatformUUID,fakeSMC.

Everything working - except as before the mouse from wake.

This with the latest dsdt posted yesterday.

So no CMOS reset whatsoever...Sounds good! I'll see if I get it working like that...

In the meantime I came across to a fix for HPET & OnBoard Firewire IRQ conflict:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...post&p=2549

the key seems to be to delete the

IRQNoFlags ()
						{2}

From the IPIC device (PNP0000).

oh! and get the lastest PCEFI from netkas site; It solves the 'sound assertion' errors ('cos it has 64 bit EFI tables) and the firewire defaulting to full secure mode

So no CMOS reset whatsoever...Sounds good! I'll see if I get it working like that...

In the meantime I came across to a fix for HPET & OnBoard Firewire IRQ conflict:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...post&p=2549

the key seems to be to delete the

IRQNoFlags ()
						{2}

From the IPIC device (PNP0000).

oh! and get the lastest PCEFI from netkas site; It solves the 'sound assertion' errors ('cos it has 64 bit EFI tables) and the firewire defaulting to full secure mode

Nice - Done these, thanks.

Any luck with the sleep issue?

Ok, I found part of the problem, first, one of my usb ports if something is connected to it I get the sleep and wake up problem, if nothing is connected to it I could sleep from the apple menu and on wake up some lights on my card reader connected to internal usb port tell me something is wrong, another thing is, the computer don't sleep by itself. On the irqnoflags it made things worse for me.What bothers me with the sleep problem is that it works perfectly on Leopard, but in Leopard I don't use the dsdt at all, so I think my dsdt is missing something.

Hey Guys can someone post a complete package with DSDT and all kexts needed ? Got Snowy running but network is only working with yukon2.kext not over DSDT or iam wrong and yukon2 is needed every time ?

thanks in advance

Hey Guys can someone post a complete package with DSDT and all kexts needed ? Got Snowy running but network is only working with yukon2.kext not over DSDT or iam wrong and yukon2 is needed every time ?

thanks in advance

Attached is all you need, yukon2.kext is needed at all times. enjoy and good luck.Snow_Leopard_EFI_files.zip

Hi Everyone. I've made a kext which includes ALL 'Legacy' fixes. Is based on THe KiNG's P6TX.kext:

P5K_VM.kext.zip

Remove the following kexts from Extra/Extensions/:

Legacy_ACPI_SMC_PP.kext

LegacyAGPM.kext

LergacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext

LegacyHDAController.kext

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

LegacyYukon2.kext

Copy P5K-VM.kext on /Extra/Extensions/ and then run Kext Utility to rebuild the kextcaches. Reboot

post-51637-1254737593_thumb.jpg

This kext alone should give you: variable Pstates support (if your model is set to MacPro1,1), some sort of GPU power management (still experimental), full HDA audio, Ethernet, AHCI internal icons (can be tweeked to get hot-swap feature if you wish).

It works in Snow Leopard ONLY (it can be modded for 10.5 if you know what you're doing) and a patched DSDT file is a must (use last DB1 version without PSS data). To be in the safe side this extension must be loaded from Extensions.mkext

The kext misses JMicron ATA injection 'cos I couldnt get it yet to work...

@DB1

The code for Cstates you sent me works very good! :)

Aside from removing the CTS errors from boot log, I can confirm my CPU is running 10-15 degrees cooler than before.

It seems that PSS data isnt needed (at least in my case). OSX seems to read fine the values harcoded in the SSDT tables.

I modified Master Chief's kexts to make them work with my model ID (MacPro1,1); the modification is included in the P5K-VM.kext.

Thanx again!

Here's the cst error removal code BlackCH mentions in previous post. Note it includes what should be the last section of dsdt, note also the bracket removals first one you must do the one further down depends on whether you have core 2 or quad cpu.

Use this in conjunction with BlackCH combi kext to get p-states & c-states and stop the cst errors.

Method (WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
  {
	\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.SIOW (Arg0)
	\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.SWAK (Arg0)
	\_SB.PCI0.NWAK (Arg0)
	\_SB.HSWK (Arg0)
	\_SB.PCI0.GFX0.OWAK (Arg0)
  }
 } 
} // end of current dsdt – delete this bracket
Scope (_PR.CPU1) // start of cst
{
	Method (_CST, 0, NotSerialized)
	{
		If (LAnd (And (CFGD, 0x01000000), LNot (And (TYPE, 0x10
			))))
		{
			Return (Package (0x02)
			{
				One, 
				Package (0x04)
				{
					ResourceTemplate ()
					{
						Register (FFixedHW, 
							0x00,			   // Bit Width
							0x00,			   // Bit Offset
							0x0000000000000000, // Address
							,)
					}, 

One, 
					0x9D, 
					0x03E8
				}
			})
		}

If (And (TYPE, 0x0300))
		{
			If (And (CFGD, 0x20))
			{
				Return (Package (0x03)
				{
					0x02, 
					Package (0x04)
					{
						ResourceTemplate ()
						{
							Register (FFixedHW, 
								0x01,			   // Bit Width
								0x02,			   // Bit Offset
								,)
						}, 

One, 
						One, 
						0x03E8
					}, 

Package (0x04)
					{
						ResourceTemplate ()
						{
							Register (FFixedHW, 
								0x01,			   // Bit Width
								0x02,			   // Bit Offset
								0x0000000000000010, // Address
								,)
						}, 

0x02, 
						One, 
						0x01F4
					}
				})
			}
		}

If (And (CFGD, 0x20))
		{
			Return (Package (0x03)
			{
				0x02, 
				Package (0x04)
				{
					ResourceTemplate ()
					{
						Register (FFixedHW, 
							0x01,			   // Bit Width
							0x02,			   // Bit Offset
							,)
					}, 

One, 
					One, 
					0x03E8
				}, 

Package (0x04)
				{
					ResourceTemplate ()
					{
						Register (SystemIO, 
							0x08,			   // Bit Width
							0x00,			   // Bit Offset
							0x000000000000000C, // Address
							,)
					}, 

0x02, 
					One, 
					0x01F4
				}
			})
		}

Return (Package (0x02)
		{
			One, 
			Package (0x04)
			{
				ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					Register (FFixedHW, 
						0x01,			   // Bit Width
						0x02,			   // Bit Offset
						,)
				}, 

One, 
				One, 
				0x03E8
			}
		})
	}
}

Scope (_PR.CPU2)
{
	{
		Return (^^CPU1._CST ())
	}
}
} // end of cst if you have a core 2 duo cpu – remove the bracket if you have quad core cpu
Scope (_PR.CPU3)
{
	{
		Return (^^CPU1._CST ())
	}
}

Scope (_PR.CPU4)
{
	{
		Return (^^CPU1._CST ())
	}
}
} // end of cst

Many thanks to all the people over on the speed stepping thread, some great work evolving.

@BlackCH - nice job on the combi kext, could you do me one without the ACPI & AGPM (JMicron included if you can sort but otherwise no issue) i'mstill experimenting with the dsdt & speed stepping.

DB1 can u post ur latest dsdt? or can u help me make a clean dsdt for my specs (c2q 6600, gf8500 gt 256mb, p5k-vm 1001 bios)?

Have posted a dsdt.dsl here:P5K VM dsl - c & p states + Chiefs sbus injection

My dsdt has been in daily (hourly) development and this is the very latest with speed stepping, cst error fix and Chiefs sbus injection. Be very careful using this as your cpu (mine is E4500 OC'd to 2.915 MHz) & video (Nvidia 8400 gs) will be different and you could really mess things up - like fry your cpu! - better to use for reference and patch with your own hardware info.

Many thanks for DB1 for posting the updated guide. Everything is now working fine. No QE though, as running chess will give me a kernel panic. I'd like to make a custom dsdt but am a little afraid to do it. Is there a detail guide somewhere to show how to do this?

The other thing I'd like to have is to boot off of the HD instead of the USB stick. All the guides I've seen seem to need the HD to have a MBR partition, but my HD is already GPT. From what DB1 is saying it seems like the 18seven method would work for me, but somehow the msiwind.net forum is not working right now.

Can someone post the detailed 18seven method here?

Thanks much!

@BlackCH - nice job on the combi kext, could you do me one without the ACPI & AGPM (JMicron included if you can sort but otherwise no issue) i'mstill experimenting with the dsdt & speed stepping.

Sure! Im not sure if the Jmicron controller works with a plist injection only or it need a hacked binary. How do you set up yours?

Sure! Im not sure if the Jmicron controller works with a plist injection only or it need a hacked binary. How do you set up yours?

Just tried to plist it and got kp - so it would be ok without.

This is what I have currently in EFI/Extra/Extensions: P5KVMkexts.zip