[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

i've solved the problem :) mysteriously there was the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in Extension. now everything works very smooth, but i have a new small problem... the hdd icons are orange like the one of an external hdd. are the hdds slower now or is it just a optical problem?

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector seems to be used mainly for fixing the icon issue - there's probably a little more than that simple answer but thats all I have ever used it for. If it fixed your problem and you can live with orange icons then no problem.

Mine works great except for the Video. I don't think QE is enabled. My screensaver goes really slow. I used the above dsdt and it makes my system profiler say its running a 9400gt. I tried looking everywhere on a way to edit the dsdt so it can display my 8800gts but no luck. Any suggestions on how to make my system use the 8800gts correctly?

How do we know if QE is working for sure? A. Apparently if you see wave edge when dropping a widget on dashboard QE is working. Or if you can play chess app.

My mac mini dont show it in profiler with Snowy!

Found an 8800gts patch and have patched into the dsdt - give this a try.

P5KVM___8800gts_DSDT.zip

BTW 10.6.1 is safe to do from Software update - no issues.

How do we know if QE is working for sure? A. Apparently if you see wave edge when dropping a widget on dashboard QE is working. Or if you can play chess app.

I think also quicktime's 'Screen Capture' wont work without QE/CI. I had this problem while trying some injection kext (silentNatit) that didnt fully work, causing also choppy movie playback.

I've gotten it up and running through a mixture of various instructions including DB1's (I was having panics during the install process). I'm able to boot into 64-bit and 32-bit modes (afaik, I assume I'm booting to 64 when I don't have any flags passed at boot time). I am however having some weirdness, some of which I related to the DSDT dump:

1. System Profiler lists my 8600 GT as a 7300 GT (although QE and OpenCL work fine, and things that use OpenGL/OpenCL identify the card properly). The DSDT file lists a 7300 GT, so I assume when I do the dump it's basing it on the DSDT file from DB1 that I used during the install and therefore never gets correct values for the video card. I'd be fine with just modifying the dump before making the aml file, but I wonder if just changing those strings out really makes any difference.

2. My E6550 (2.33 GHz Duo) is listed as a 3 GHz Solo, and I'm not sure what to modify to correct that.

3. Sleep never returns (not sure if this is DSDT-related or something else).

Otherwise, once I got the proper set of Extras to make the install go, it's been pretty easy :-)

P.S.: 10.6.1 went almost smoothly. Panic'd first reboot, but the boot setup on the install USB stick allowed me to boot again. I dumped the Extensions.mkext from /E and it booted again from the HDD.

EDIT: I seem to have figured out part of this by editing the dsdt dump & smbios.plist (1&2), but it still lists only one core.. Haven't tried to fix 3 any further.

I've gotten it up and running through a mixture of various instructions including DB1's (I was having panics during the install process). I'm able to boot into 64-bit and 32-bit modes (afaik, I assume I'm booting to 64 when I don't have any flags passed at boot time).

About this mac>more info>Software> "64 - Bit Kernel and Extensions" will show Yes or No - identifies if your running 32 or 64 bit

1. System Profiler lists my 8600 GT as a 7300 GT (although QE and OpenCL work fine, and things that use OpenGL/OpenCL identify the card properly). The DSDT file lists a 7300 GT, so I assume when I do the dump it's basing it on the DSDT file from DB1 that I used during the install and therefore never gets correct values for the video card. I'd be fine with just modifying the dump before making the aml file, but I wonder if just changing those strings out really makes any difference.

Find the code for your Video card (google or search the forum) and replace the relevant sections in your current dsdt - it will make a difference as your video may not be working optimal

2. My E6550 (2.33 GHz Duo) is listed as a 3 GHz Solo, and I'm not sure what to modify to correct that.

It's probably dsdt because I have a different CPU - In hindsight it's a bad idea to provide dsdt, better to extract your own and patch as necessary. You need to find a dsdt with same processor and check the values against what you currently have and modify accordingly.

Do you have SleepEnabler.kext? Did you add OpenHaltRestart.kext?

It's probably dsdt because I have a different CPU - In hindsight it's a bad idea to provide dsdt, better to extract your own and patch as necessary. You need to find a dsdt with same processor and check the values against what you currently have and modify accordingly.

I think is the smbios.plist. Check "SMexternalclock" and "SMmaximalclock" strings.

And I think that apart the CPU core , there is no reference to the CPU as we can get a DSDT from a bios bin file. Am I right?

Anybody make a test with chameleon RC3? For me it's ok. I removed the Ethernet fix and everything that was connected to the graphics card in the dsdt file. I boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and EthernetBuiltIn=Yes and everything works except shutdown (the powersupply don't shutdown).

I think is the smbios.plist. Check "SMexternalclock" and "SMmaximalclock" strings.

And I think that apart the CPU core , there is no reference to the CPU as we can get a DSDT from a bios bin file. Am I right?

Anybody make a test with chameleon RC3? For me it's ok. I removed the Ethernet fix and everything that was connected to the graphics card in the dsdt file. I boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and EthernetBuiltIn=Yes and everything works except shutdown (the powersupply don't shutdown).

It could be smbios.plist but I doubt it would show single core so more likely dsdt. Don't know about extracting dsdt from bios bin never tried that. Another alternative is to use a linux live (Ubuntu works I believe) install and extract dsdt.

I'm using Chameleon 3 from EFI partition (18seven method - the methodology is superb - google 18seven Vanilla) and it works great. Did not bother hacking up the dsdt to see if graphics & ethernet functions work.

If you do try from EFI partition install manually from bin instead of installer and instead of:

diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk0s1

use:

sudo newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/rdisk0s1

otherwise diskutil in Snowy changes the partition code and therefore the EFI partition always visible.

I've gotten it up and running through a mixture of various instructions including DB1's (I was having panics during the install process). I'm able to boot into 64-bit and 32-bit modes (afaik, I assume I'm booting to 64 when I don't have any flags passed at boot time). I am however having some weirdness, some of which I related to the DSDT dump:

Otherwise, once I got the proper set of Extras to make the install go, it's been pretty easy :-)

P.S.: 10.6.1 went almost smoothly. Panic'd first reboot, but the boot setup on the install USB stick allowed me to boot again. I dumped the Extensions.mkext from /E and it booted again from the HDD.

EDIT: I seem to have figured out part of this by editing the dsdt dump & smbios.plist (1&2), but it still lists only one core.. Haven't tried to fix 3 any further.

Maybe you want to try my DSDT. I have the same CPU as you have....

DSDT.aml.zip

BE AWARE: YOUR SATA MUST BE SET TO AHCI MODE WITH THIS DSDT FILE!! ELSE YOU'LL GET A KP

Thanx a lot for the GUIDE and all the info!

Install went fine but have troubles with Graphics; can't get Quartz Extreme working. I have a nVidia 7600 GS (256mb)

Can somebody help me with the DSDT file? Here is my working DSDT with 10.5 and my DSDT that i'm using with SL

DSDT 10.5

DSDT 10.6

Edit: don't understand! tried efi-studio, removed the dsdt file, edited apple.boot.plist... nothing: graphics still a bit corrupted and no QE support / KP on Chess.

About this mac>more info>Software> "64 - Bit Kernel and Extensions" will show Yes or No - identifies if your running 32 or 64 bit

Find the code for your Video card (google or search the forum) and replace the relevant sections in your current dsdt - it will make a difference as your video may not be working optimal

Do you have SleepEnabler.kext? Did you add OpenHaltRestart.kext?

I was wondering how to tell which mode I'd booted into. 64-bit it is.

I've made modifications to the video card sections of the DSDT, not sure if I've covered all the bases, but I'll poke around and see if I can find an example for the same card.

The DSDT problem seems a little circular from the OS X side, since if I load a dsdt file provided by someone else, generating a new one contains information derived from the loaded DSDT.

I do have SleepEnabler.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext in /E/E. Rebooting is working OK, but the few times I've tried sleep it didn't go correctly. Perhaps I should try paring down drivers/installed devices and see if that makes a difference.

The SMmaximalclock setting definitely affects the clock that shows up, but doesn't switch it from solo to duo. I'll give some of the other suggestions floating in here a try. Will report if I get a resolution so that others who encounter similar issues can apply a similar fix.

I've been using chameleon RC3. I've not tried either of the options you've referenced there. Does sleep work for you?

Perhaps that's related to the bootloader and what it's prepping on startup.

I've been using chameleon RC3. I've not tried either of the options you've referenced there. Does sleep work for you?

Perhaps that's related to the bootloader and what it's prepping on startup.

For now, sleep does not work. Yesterday, I make a new one dsdt file from an Ubuntu live cd (cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml). I applied the fix for the sound (from DB1 or BlackCH), make sure that the RTC is ok and apply the HPET fix. Also, I'm making adjustments that everything compiles such as change "_T_0" in "T0_0" and "_T_1" in "T0_1" and others for less error when compiling. I try _WAK fix for the sleep, but it does not seem to work.

Now, my shutdown work, Ethernet, Nvidia and sound are OK.

I have only the sleep that does not work, I think ...

Thanx a lot for the GUIDE and all the info!

Install went fine but have troubles with Graphics; can't get Quartz Extreme working. I have a nVidia 7600 GS (256mb)

Can somebody help me with the DSDT file? Here is my working DSDT with 10.5 and my DSDT that i'm using with SL

DSDT 10.5

DSDT 10.6

Edit: don't understand! tried efi-studio, removed the dsdt file, edited apple.boot.plist... nothing: graphics still a bit corrupted and no QE support / KP on Chess.

Your dsdt's are not patched with audio, video just the normal patches dsdt Patcher makes, thats why your having problems. I've patched one for you to try based on the dsdt you extracted so it should work.

7600gsDSDT.zip

Hello all. Could anyone help me to decode the next instruction in the first post in this topic:

<quote>

Audio:

Install Taruga's ALC882 Sound Fix v0.4b and then:

Patch it with this codec dump Attached File alc883_ICH9.txt ( 9.08K ) Number of downloads: 1603

Add 0x293e8086 DevID to:

ALCInject.kext/Contents/Info.plist

AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

</quote>

I suggest this means that i should downlad something like "AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.zip" and drag alc883_ICH9.txt on it.

Done.

The next step is adding "0x293e8086 DevID".

Did the author mean that i should add "0x293e8086 DevID" or maybe "<string>0x293e8086 DevID</string>"

or ...

Could you please help me to add the right string to the right places of the files mentioned:

Any help will be much appriciated.

Solve the problem:

Instead of decoding the sense of the instruction

<quote>

Add 0x293e8086 DevID to:

</quote>

It is possible to perform 3 additional step before all audio reanimation operations:

1. backup of files -

2. Install 10.4.8. ALC883 audio kodek from this site and reboot

3. Restore ALCInject.kext/Contents/Info.plist

And after that i`ve patchet theese files with Taruga's utilities.

All works fine.

Hello all. Could anyone help me to decode the next instruction in the first post in this topic:

<quote>

Audio:

Install Taruga's ALC882 Sound Fix v0.4b and then:

Patch it with this codec dump Attached File alc883_ICH9.txt ( 9.08K ) Number of downloads: 1603

Add 0x293e8086 DevID to:

</quote>

I suggest this means that i should downlad something like "AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.zip" and drag alc883_ICH9.txt on it.

Done.

The next step is adding "0x293e8086 DevID".

Did the author mean that i should add "0x293e8086 DevID" or maybe "<string>0x293e8086 DevID</string>"

or ...

Could you please help me to add the right string to the right places of the files mentioned:

Any help will be much appriciated.

Solve the problem:

Instead of decoding the sense of the instruction

<quote>

Add 0x293e8086 DevID to:

</quote>

It is possible to perform 3 additional step before all audio reanimation operations:

1. backup of files -

2. Install 10.4.8. ALC883 audio kodek from this site and reboot

3. Restore ALCInject.kext/Contents/Info.plist

And after that i`ve patchet theese files with Taruga's utilities.

All works fine.

Things have moved on a way since the first post, suggest for current working method for Snow Leopard (10.6) start at post - 494 if your trying to install Leopard (10.5) i'm not sure of the post relevant but if you let us know someone will help i'm sure.

Thank you DB1 for your answer.

I really need help - my method (10.4.8 driver + Tarugas patch)

works FOR ONE BOOT only.

And then i have to repeat the procedure to get the sound back.

It would be great if someone explain how to make the ALC882 sound work fine on my 10.5.6 Leopard.

Found the solution in the Taruga's thread:

Sound is working properly now after modifying the "output" tab from headphone to "Line Out"

WOW! Thanx all! This is really the best site for macs!

Your dsdt's are not patched with audio, video just the normal patches dsdt Patcher makes, thats why your having problems. I've patched one for you to try based on the dsdt you extracted so it should work.

7600gsDSDT.zip

Thanx again DB1!

The DSDT fixed my sound but video is still not OK; Chess now works (no KP) but:

- fonts are a bit corrupted

- expose is sluggish

- can't play video files (black screen)

- System profiler shows video as 512 (its 256) & does not show QE as enabled.

DB1; can you help me again? otherwise will wait... just don't get it with DSDT patching! ;)

Thank you DB1 for your answer.

I really need help - my method (10.4.8 driver + Tarugas patch)

works FOR ONE BOOT only.

And then i have to repeat the procedure to get the sound back.

It would be great if someone explain how to make the ALC882 sound work fine on my 10.5.6 Leopard.

Found the solution in the Taruga's thread:

Sound is working properly now after modifying the "output" tab from headphone to "Line Out"

WOW! Thanx all! This is really the best site for macs!

As DB1 said, that method is old. Things have improoved through the time. I recommend to read this whole thread. You will come across new install guides and new driver packages that will make your system much more stable and safe.

Thanx again DB1!

The DSDT fixed my sound but video is still not OK; Chess now works (no KP) but:

- fonts are a bit corrupted

- expose is sluggish

- can't play video files (black screen)

- System profiler shows video as 512 (its 256) & does not show QE as enabled.

DB1; can you help me again? otherwise will wait... just don't get it with DSDT patching! :)

Try this (I had not adjusted vram):

7600gsDSDT.zip

QE does not show in profile for Snowy. The acid test is if you can play chess it's got QE. Also drop a widget on dashboard if you get ripples QE enabled. The blur fonts may be to do with the wrong nvram setting I had in dsdt. But this one should be right. Let us know if it worked ok.

After a week toying with Snow Leopard I get a decent stable OS, no random KP, audio, video and networking ok ( thanks to DB1 dsdt.aml ) but, always a but, no sleep and must annoying, I have a kvm switch and when switching to the other rig ( Windows 7 ) and switching back KP must of the times, this could be avoided if sleep where working, you can't have KP when sleeping ;), so, until this problem of sleep be ironed out I'm going to stay with Leopard as a principal OS, maybe DB1 could look what the problem is because I'm getting one USB port as an expansion slot and I think that's the culprit, all the other things work flawlessly and I'm not really good modifying DSDT. I also want to explain the method I use to install Snow Leopard, because I found to be the most reliable and easy.

1.-Make a boot cd with the minimum kext support for AHCI or ATA, fakesmc.kext and NullCPUPowerManagemnt.kext. ( if you put to much the installation fails)

2.-Boot with the boot cd, swap the Snow Leopard DVD in at the Chameleon window, wait until the computer finish scanning it , press F5, choose Mac OS X Install and enter, the installation begins, and this time, contrary to other methods, you can install everything if you like. When you finish the installation you can follow the method of your preference for the boot loader ( I particularly prefer the EFI way, is more clean and flexible ).

Thats all for now and, please, if somebody found the solution for sleep, share with us.

PS. I was thinking looking at this treat, maybe could be a good idea to split it in two, one for Leopard installation and files needed and one for Snow Leopard. ;)

Try this (I had not adjusted vram):

7600gsDSDT.zip

QE does not show in profile for Snowy. The acid test is if you can play chess it's got QE. Also drop a widget on dashboard if you get ripples QE enabled. The blur fonts may be to do with the wrong nvram setting I had in dsdt. But this one should be right. Let us know if it worked ok.

Thanx DB1 again/again/agian! :(

But.. i did't see any differences from the previous DSDT file with nvram 512. No ripples when dropping widget on desktop and expose is still slow. Fonts still a bit corrupted. Sound = OK!

Strange thing is if i remove the dsdt file and use the com.apple.boot.plist (with efi for my card) Chess gives me KP but Expose is FAST. No sound.

STRANGE!

maybe DB1 could look what the problem is because I'm getting one USB port as an expansion slot and I think that's the culprit,

I have 6 USB Bus & 2 High Speed USB Bus, one of the latter shows as an expansion port but sleep / wake, shut down restart no problem for me. BTW there are 3 USB expansion headers on the board besides the rear usb connections. I use one for a card reader. I doubt USB is causing the problem with sleep.

Are you using nullCPUPowerManagement.kext? If you are this is more likely causing the sleep problem.

It's difficult to pinpoint where the problem might be if you did not install by the method I detailed. List your kexts and I might be able to help.

Thanx DB1 again/again/agian! :(

But.. i did't see any differences from the previous DSDT file with nvram 512. No ripples when dropping widget on desktop and expose is still slow. Fonts still a bit corrupted. Sound = OK!

Strange thing is if i remove the dsdt file and use the com.apple.boot.plist (with efi for my card) Chess gives me KP but Expose is FAST. No sound.

STRANGE!

Without the card or a copy of a dsdt where that card is working i dont think I can help much with dsdt. So there are a few things you could try:

get a copy dsdt where Video for your card is working and send it to me and I can patch it into the dsdt.

or - Try the attached dsdt that has Video removed along with your com.apple.Boot.plist & efi string so you get the other dsdt fixes. After you could send me the output from IORegistryExplorer (If you have xcode installed) and I could then patch to dsdt. (Or if your happy with it working with EFi leave it at that)

DSDTnoVideo.zip

or - Install Chameleon r3 which has support for Video built in using a boot.plist flag. (not tried this for video support but Cham r3 works fine with my install).

I have 6 USB Bus & 2 High Speed USB Bus, one of the latter shows as an expansion port but sleep / wake, shut down restart no problem for me. BTW there are 3 USB expansion headers on the board besides the rear usb connections. I use one for a card reader. I doubt USB is causing the problem with sleep.

Are you using nullCPUPowerManagement.kext? If you are this is more likely causing the sleep problem.

It's difficult to pinpoint where the problem might be if you did not install by the method I detailed. List your kexts and I might be able to help.

Without the card or a copy of a dsdt where that card is working i dont think I can help much with dsdt. So there are a few things you could try:

get a copy dsdt where Video for your card is working and send it to me and I can patch it into the dsdt.

or - Try the attached dsdt that has Video removed along with your com.apple.Boot.plist & efi string so you get the other dsdt fixes. After you could send me the output from IORegistryExplorer (If you have xcode installed) and I could then patch to dsdt. (Or if your happy with it working with EFi leave it at that)

DSDTnoVideo.zip

or - Install Chameleon r3 which has support for Video built in using a boot.plist flag. (not tried this for video support but Cham r3 works fine with my install).

No, I don't have NullCPUPomerManagement and I'm using exactly the kexts you posted and the installation is with the " 18seven method ". Anyway I was able to modify my dsdt and now all my usb ports show as build in, I can go to sleep now but the computer wakes up instantaneously, I need to search about that behaviour because I think I read somebody was having the same problem, going to keep posted, thanks DB1 for all the help you are giving and keep the good work. :)

PS. When I say I can sleep now is choosing sleep from the apple menu, if I let the computer sleep by itself the display and hd go to sleep, but the mobo still on.

Do you have / have you tried OpenHaltRestart.kext ?

Yes, but they don't load from E/E, I have to put them in S/L/E ( OpenHaltRestart and SleepEnabler ),something I notice looking at your dsdt.aml is that you have only six usb ports, I have eight, how it's this possible with the same mobo?, thake a look at my dsdt.dsdt.aml.zip