[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Why this VIA/SIS/Marvell/SB Chipset Drivers? Mobo is G33...

Guys, you are a bit confused. If you are looking for the most compatible release for the P5K-VM download XxX_10.5.6 Install Disc. I've made it myself and I used a P5K-VM to test it. You can be sure it has all you need.

Install the default selection plus:

-PCIEFI 9 (optional)

-DSDT patch (optional)

-HPETDisabler

-USB_Sleep

-Voodoo 9.5.0 v1 (fixes restart/shutdown issues)

-ICHx Chipset Support (only that one)

-AppleAHCIPort_ExtendedSupport

-JMicron ATA (only that one)

-If you have a NVdia card install NO GRAPHICS DRIVERS (get it working after install with EFI strings)

-Alc883_Spdif (Mic in, Line in, 3 outputs, Spdif output)

-Yukon 88E8056 (On board ethernet; you still need to use a EFI string after install to fix timemachine/file sharing issues)

-GenericCPUPowerManagement 1.1.3 (Optional; cpu throttle)

-OpenHaltRestart.kext

-AHCI Fix

-BootPrompt

-SystemProfiler Fix

-LocalTimeToggle (optional)

-All 'Tools' items

After install use EFI String Creator (Utilities folder) to fix graphics and ethernet ('built-in').

@BlackCH

On your XxX_10.5.6 Install Disc, do you use /Extra for your patched extensions or during install all are in /System/Library/Extensions ?

Thank for the input!

@mala-zaba

Retail and my DSDT + said kexts will work with either extra extensions boot 132 / Chameleon (as long as it's the one adapted for DSDT) or munky EFI boot partition methods. This set up will run the on board graphics also but if you run other graphics you need either efi strings on your com.apple.Boot.plist (EFI Studio patcher is cool for strings or OSX86Tools - google your friend) or the DSDT would need to be modified. I don't use SMBIOSResolver or anything similar these just resolve how things look in system profiler and I'm more interested in having things working rather than trying to patch information about the system.

Maybe BlackCH distro the simpler option

Here's the kext's & DSDT for Retail.

P5K_VM_RETAIL_DSDThdef_enet.zip

@BlackCH

On your XxX_10.5.6 Install Disc, do you use /Extra for your patched extensions or during install all are in /System/Library/Extensions ?

Thank for the input!

On my ISO all the patched kexts goes to /System/Library/Extensions. The problem is that not all patched kexts will successfully load from /Extra folder, and the ISO contains a huge amount of drivers. I cannot test myself whether each kext loads or not 'cause I dont have the hardware to test on.

Personally I use Retail install + PCEFI 9 + DSDT + /Extra/Extensions.mkext

This set up will run the on board graphics

No QE/CI I asumme (?)

No QE/CI I asumme (?)

To be honest did not check as I sorted string out for my nvidia card straight after install . I do remember when first install 10.5.1 I could not boot with the nvida card pluged in and had to use on board then string the boot.plist. On a later reinstall with a 10.5.4 dvd I could install with nvida card and the resolution looked ok so it's possible it does QE & CI

Guys, you are a bit confused. If you are looking for the most compatible release for the P5K-VM download XxX_10.5.6 Install Disc. I've made it myself and I used a P5K-VM to test it. You can be sure it has all you need.
Wow, scratch my old posts about iPC; I just tried XxX with all the packages BlackCH listed and it was just like doing a retail install on my real mac. Absolutely everything works perfectly including firewire, sleep, QE/CI, etc. Don't forget to get the PPF1 though. The original release doesn't have the HPETDisabler.

BlackCH, thanks a lot for such a polished release. It's incredibly convenient to have the same board as a real expert.

Thanks for the heads-up BlackCH - I'll download your ISO and see how I go - thanks for all your hard work. ;)

Hi!

I did use Retail install with this guide (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=79096)

RETAIL 10.5.4 + 10.5.6 COMBO UPDATE + DSDT Patcher GUI + UNIVERSAL OSx86 INSTALLER with P5K-VM kexts.

BUT I do have some issues:

1. Mouse issues when I use iTunes

2. Firewire doesn't work, and If I replace appleHPET.kex 1.3 with the version 1.1 from 10.5.5, firewire works but not very well and appleHPET.kex doesn't load when I write kextstat -b com.apple.driver.AppleHPET on Terminal.

3. MacTheRipper doesn't work.

There's any solution to these issues? Hopefully still I do have my previous installation 10.5.5 that works perfect!

Thanks guys!

Roy

Hi,

I was be able to install Retail Leopard with this guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330

I use the dsdt.aml from DB1 and kexts from BlackCH. I use ALC883 addr 0 because I have 5.1 sound and with HDA, I have only the center or rear... with ALC883 addr 0, I have front.

@roy1971

I don't have any issus with my mouse in iTune

How I can test firewire... i don't have hard disk support firewire...

On my installation, i have this that filled my system.log

Jan 25 07:34:54 iMac kernel[0]: Sound assertion "1" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 1658 goto handler

Jan 25 07:34:54 iMac kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 1358 goto handler

Hi,

I was be able to install Retail Leopard with this guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330

I use the dsdt.aml from DB1 and kexts from BlackCH. I use ALC883 addr 0 because I have 5.1 sound and with HDA, I have only the center or rear... with ALC883 addr 0, I have front.

@roy1971

I don't have any issus with my mouse in iTune

How I can test firewire... i don't have hard disk support firewire...

On my installation, i have this that filled my system.log

mala-zaba;

The combination of kext's you are using from the LegacyHDA boot-132 / stickpin [http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=129058] has three problems:

1- Lots of console messages

2- Popping noises turning sound circuitry on and off. (Depending on which output you are using, it may not be there)

3- At shut-down, power supply not turning off.

I am using the kext I posted for you a few postings back. No popping. No console messages. However, I had to use a 'modified' 'HDA Fix v3' to make the shut-down kernel panic go away. It creates a script in the /Library/StartUpFolder, and it refers to ALCInject which I do not use.

In order to make it work best, a couple days ago;

1- I removed HDAEnabler

2- Kept LegacyHDA kexts now moved into /Extra as Extensions.mkext

3- Inserted my audio EFI strings with EFIStudio to the boot.plist (may not need to do this if you are using DB1's dsdt.aml)

4- Installed and edited 'HDA Fix v3' removing the ALCInject line from the script

Now, I have shutdown working as well. 'HDA Fix v3' is not a pretty hack, but it does work very well with one minor cosmetic issue in Sound preferences. Nothing shows up under 'About this Mac'. Good luck...

• 1 month later...

etc

I get this iso and the ppf3. it works like a charm. Thank you !!

I have a question, i want to remove the "boot loader" (when you can choose which partition to boot)

how can i do that ?

thanks

I get this iso and the ppf3. it works like a charm. Thank you !!

I have a question, i want to remove the "boot loader" (when you can choose which partition to boot)

how can i do that ?

thanks

Hi at all.

Do u install ideneb v1.4 release on this board? It's 10.5.6 version of Leopard.

I'd like to instal it but I don't know which drivers I should select. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried Unsuccessfully to upgrade my Kalyway Leopard from 10.5.3 to 10.5.6 Countless Times and has Always ended with a System Boot Freeze on StartUp but with the help of a Self Modified Version of LTL's Post Patcher and some Custom Kext Files for my Asus P5K-E Wifi AP Motherboard I was able to get it Done!

1.) Use Kalyway's Method to Upgrade to 10.5.3 if you are not using this Version already... (I used the Vanilla Kernel)

2.) Download and Install the 10.5.6 Combo Update from Apple (668Mb)... Do Not Reboot!!!

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...omboupdate.html

3.) Edit the Post-Patch.sh File Located in the v4.4 Folder with the Name of Your Leopard Install Hard Drive (Located at the Top of the Page) (Ex; Destination=yourharddrivename) Save and use the Following Command Lines to Run the Program from Terminel...

. Open Terminal

. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal: sudo -s

. enter your password

. TYPE or cut n paste into Terminal: /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/Leopard320 <==== (Rename

this to your Hard Drive Volume)

. TYPE or cut n paste into Terminal (change yourusernamehere to your username):

cd /users/yourusernamehere/desktop/v4.4

. TYPE or cut n paste into Terminal: ./post-patch.sh

. after it finishes TYPE: Exit and Press Enter.

. Reboot Your PC and Press F8 at the Darwin Prompt and Type: Update -v and Hit Enter.

Download My Modified PostPatch Prog Here: http://rapidshare.com/files/210680288/v4.4.zip.html

Congratulations you are now running Leopard 10.5.6!!! :(

• 5 weeks later...

Hello guys,

unfortunately I have to give this thread a new life. I have a P5K-VM with Intel C2D E7400 2.8Ghz and SATA HDD & SATA DVD-Burner, a logitech keyboard (is there a possibility to switch the keyboard layout in osx to a normal PC QWERTZ or QWERETY one?) a Microsoft wireless mouse (sometimes the same problem as the fellas with the logitech mouses). I use the onboard graphics card (probably there aren't any news for this one or?)

My biggest problem is the following if I press "about this Mac", it shows me "Processor 2.8 Ghz Unknown" and the serial field isn't there as well. If I press "more informations..." it's first loading and crashs. With the crash a new pop-up appears and tells me that I can "retry", "ignore" or "show log". The show log button does not work and the retry button brings the same result. I tried a lot of the fixes and workaround here in this forum and especially here in this thread. But did not really get a result. I did not change anything at the network cards driver because the one which came with iPC 10.5.6 worked alright.

What could be the problem? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Regards,

Christian, 20, Germany

Hello guys,

My biggest problem is the following if I press "about this Mac", it shows me "Processor 2.8 Ghz Unknown" and the serial field isn't there as well. If I press "more informations..." it's first loading and crashs. With the crash a new pop-up appears and tells me that I can "retry", "ignore" or "show log".

You need to install one of many SMBIOS solutions. My favorite one is Andy's...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129930

Hello,

thanks for this support. I tried one, but did not knew that there are a few of them. I will try this one later on. But maybe you know another thing, too. If I say "shutdown", the system closes everything and then a picture appears that I should press the shutdown-button for some seconds (hard-shutdown) or press the restart button. This screen appears in a few languages. Is there a way that the system shuts down itself clean? Without a hard-shutdown?

Thanks for your cooperation in advance.

Regards,

Christian, 20, Germany

Hello everyone...

First of all a BIG thanks to the whole community supporting P5K-VM (respect to BlackCH).

I've had my hackintosh for more than a year now. Earlier i did the Kalyway 10.5.2 and the machine ran perfect... however after a few months dues to 4GB RAM i started getting Kernel panics approx 10 minutes after booting the PC. I knew about the fix but i was too lazy, so i swiped out 2GB RAM for a while.

After reading about the XxX installer, I decided to switch to SATA (HD + DVD RW) and lo and behold i've had the most stable install ever (touch wood).

However, there are a few small issues.

1. Just like this gentleman before me my Q6600 appears as 2.39GHz Unknown

2. I have shutdown problems... I have tried most if not all of the suggested solutions... none seem to work.

3. No sleep (i frankly don't care about this... but it would be good to know what could resolve this)

4. and this is a bit unrelated... but can someone suggest what would be the best possible VGA card to get? I want to upgrade to 8GB RAM and get a new VGA card. I'm currently using a 256MB 7800GTX. I know that there are drivers for the ATi 48xx series as well as the 9800GTX +, but having spent way too much time on this forum, i can't figure out what would be a safe + solid choice for the display card. I would like to run 2 monitors... 24" wide + 19" regular 4:3... both DVI.

If anyone can suggest i'll be very grateful because it seems any further time i spend is not helping me make up my mind +i don't have the resources to buy/try a card that costs $150+ only to see it having issues.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

thanks for this support. I tried one, but did not knew that there are a few of them. I will try this one later on. But maybe you know another thing, too. If I say "shutdown", the system closes everything and then a picture appears that I should press the shutdown-button for some seconds (hard-shutdown) or press the restart button. This screen appears in a few languages. Is there a way that the system shuts down itself clean? Without a hard-shutdown?

Thanks for your cooperation in advance.

Regards,

Christian, 20, Germany

What you are seeing during shutdown is a 'kernel panic', also known as 'kp'. You can see more details if you booted with the -v option (which is the verbose option) as to what causes the kernel panic. This is where the operating system actually crashes. Typically it is due to hardware or driver related issues, and in my experience with the P5K-VM board, it is often related to AppleHDA, HDAEnabler, etc., which is related to audio drivers. You need to figure this out by looking at the -v output, or potentially to console log. Good luck.

Hello everyone...

First of all a BIG thanks to the whole community supporting P5K-VM (respect to BlackCH).

I've had my hackintosh for more than a year now. Earlier i did the Kalyway 10.5.2 and the machine ran perfect... however after a few months dues to 4GB RAM i started getting Kernel panics approx 10 minutes after booting the PC. I knew about the fix but i was too lazy, so i swiped out 2GB RAM for a while.

After reading about the XxX installer, I decided to switch to SATA (HD + DVD RW) and lo and behold i've had the most stable install ever (touch wood).

However, there are a few small issues.

1. Just like this gentleman before me my Q6600 appears as 2.39GHz Unknown

2. I have shutdown problems... I have tried most if not all of the suggested solutions... none seem to work.

3. No sleep (i frankly don't care about this... but it would be good to know what could resolve this)

4. and this is a bit unrelated... but can someone suggest what would be the best possible VGA card to get? I want to upgrade to 8GB RAM and get a new VGA card. I'm currently using a 256MB 7800GTX. I know that there are drivers for the ATi 48xx series as well as the 9800GTX +, but having spent way too much time on this forum, i can't figure out what would be a safe + solid choice for the display card. I would like to run 2 monitors... 24" wide + 19" regular 4:3... both DVI.

If anyone can suggest i'll be very grateful because it seems any further time i spend is not helping me make up my mind +i don't have the resources to buy/try a card that costs $150+ only to see it having issues.

Thanks in advance.

#1 - Don't worry about this. You do not have a Mac, you have a hackintosh, and although you can override with methods described in many places, why bother. It is cosmetic.

#2- Not much detail regarding your problems. If you have not already, try to use OpenHaltRestart.kext

#3 - You may need superhai's kext described in his web site and elsewhere.

#4 - 8800GT works for this purpose as I also have dual monitors on DVI. But there are cheaper cards also with dual DVI that should work equally well. BTW, while not important, they have not been called 'VGA cards' for a decade or two. VGA cards were in the 80's.

Thanks a bunch bikinifarm! I'm still chuckling at your VGA comment! lol... i'm a genuine old-timer! lol...

1. Accepted...

2. I have used the OpenHaltRestart.kext (is there a way to verify if the kext is functional? or is being used?)

3. I will look this up... but it is low on my priority list... thanks for the reference

4. While we are on the subject... i just want the best possible performance by upgrading the video card (<-- correct terminology! :D)... along with that I want the stability that i'm currently getting with my 7800GTX. Luckily I haven't had any kps due to it. Thirdly... is there any card that matches the above 2 requirements and yet works OOB or with an installer? (i'm scared of entering strings or messing with kexts). To tell you the truth i've been looking at 9800GTX+ because of the attractive price point, but if an expert tells me the performance gain is negligible, then I will be happy to look at lesser cards. 8xxx series is no longer available new in my country... only 8500, and buying a 2nd hand card has it's own issues. I also realize that the 9600GT is also not without issues (from the threads on this forum. decisions decisions! I do graphics work, so a good video card is important.

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks a bunch bikinifarm! I'm still chuckling at your VGA comment! lol... i'm a genuine old-timer! lol...

1. Accepted...

2. I have used the OpenHaltRestart.kext (is there a way to verify if the kext is functional? or is being used?)

3. I will look this up... but it is low on my priority list... thanks for the reference

4. While we are on the subject... i just want the best possible performance by upgrading the video card (<-- correct terminology! :D)... along with that I want the stability that i'm currently getting with my 7800GTX. Luckily I haven't had any kps due to it. Thirdly... is there any card that matches the above 2 requirements and yet works OOB or with an installer? (i'm scared of entering strings or messing with kexts). To tell you the truth i've been looking at 9800GTX+ because of the attractive price point, but if an expert tells me the performance gain is negligible, then I will be happy to look at lesser cards. 8xxx series is no longer available new in my country... only 8500, and buying a 2nd hand card has it's own issues. I also realize that the 9600GT is also not without issues (from the threads on this forum. decisions decisions! I do graphics work, so a good video card is important.

Thanks a bunch!

1. For the CPU speed/features display you can install the SystemProfileFix (from my ISO; hope you are using the Final.V2, thats the best), but as bikinifarm said those are cosmetics and it wont affect the performance of your system.

2,3. These sleep/restart problems are solved by using 9.5.0 Voodoo kernel, or AnV 9.6.0 kernel....

4. I would get a 9600GT; I saw some people with the 9800GTX working, but also some who didnt get it to work... Anyway, all the way Nvidia. ATI cards seems to be problematic sometimes....

BlackCH.... You're a LEGEND! I say that with utmost respect. My MBP died on me and i'm a freelancing designer... i couldn't replace the MBP straight away and i couldn't survive on a PC... your XxX install disc saved my life (literally). I am so thankful to you for coming up with such a great gift for people who do Hackintosh for more than 'just fun'.

I installed before the final final version (v2) came out... but i have the final version with me now. I can't keep messing with this system... so not sure what the best way to go is... other than all my pending questions;

1. I need to back this install up (can someone please point me to the right thread instructing how to). As things are i'm too scared to update using Mac Update... can i go ahead and update using Mac update? will it work with the XxX install?

2. Is it possible to go back to the install disc and only install say 'SyetemProfileFix', or the Voodoo kernel from the disc without having to reinstall the whole system? without fear of messing up the OS?

3. With the 9600GT, can I install it using your streamlined injections on the XxX disc or will i have to follow the instructions on the 9600GT threads? I've tried searching for the best install methoids for the XxX disc... but time is short and the search function not so great...

thank you for helping me out here