New here! Help with AppleALC codec

t80u

3 posts in this topic

Hello there! I've been reading this forum for a while and managed to install macOS 11.7 (Big Sur) in a laptop I picked from the trash. It's not from a known brand (in fact, it's made by goverment), but the point is I made macOS able to run nicely on it. After some reading and trying multiple things, kext, etc., I managed to get everything working. My only issue is with the sound codec. I mean, I have sound, the internal speakers are working fine, even the headphone jack and the optical SPDIF output, but microphone is not working (neither internal or external using the input jack). I found a guide on GH that tells how to build the AppleALC kext yourself, but as much as I tried, I think I'll need some help.... I managed to get the codec dump from the Linux Live CD, use the PinConfigurator App to get the verbs and pin config data and even have the visual image of the codec input/outputs, but don't know how to continue...

I wanted to write on the AppleALC topic but for some reason, I didn't found the button to post a reply.

Here's some information:

1. Laptop model/Motherboard model: VIT P2402 / Pegatron B74
2. Codec name: VIA VT1802
3. Layout used: Layout 3 works better than the others for the codec (33-65) as it have all the outputs, but none input (Int. Microphone / LineIn / Ext. Mic) works.
4. OS X version: 11.7.10

As I said, everything on the Laptop works fine (USB/USB3, WiFi, BT, LAN, Camera, Touchpad, Graphics) and the sound, only issue is with the input (int. microphone / ext. mic). On Windows or Linux, internal mic works fine, also the input jack.

I'm attaching files that might help you to help me :)

Thanks!!

Edit: Forgot to attach pictures from Hackintool for more device information. Also, HDMI audio works good too. I'm using OC as bootloader, all kext are up to date (Lilu, WhateverGreen and all that stuff)

Codec-Dump.png

Captura de Pantalla 2024-10-15 a la(s) 5.49.01 p. m..pngCaptura de Pantalla 2024-10-15 a la(s) 5.49.30 p. m..png

card0-codec#0.txt verbs.txt

Captura de Pantalla 2024-10-15 a la(s) 6.36.21 p. m..png

Captura de Pantalla 2024-10-15 a la(s) 6.36.57 p. m..png

Edited by t80u
Add new information.

1 hour ago, Slice said:

AppleALC is for ALCxxx codec i.e. Realtek. Not VIA.

Sometime it works for other devices but you are not lucky.

I may propose more universal VoodooHDA.

Hello! I read somewhere that VoodooHDA was very poor for audio, and I think I tried it as first option, but I'll check again. Thanks!

With AppleALC I have good quality sound (it already have support for the VIA VT1802 codec), the only issue is the microphone, but I made some progress on the codec thing, I managed to understand a bit more about the Platform.xml and layout.xml and I think I've edited correctly (the layout-id 3 have the correct NodeID for the outputs, but wrong for the inputs , so I created a new one). Now I'm downloading XCode to build the kext myself and hopefully it compiles so I can test if it works.