NVMe recommendations

9 posts in this topic

@all I am about to setup another hackintosh with a GIGABYTE Z790 D DDR4 mobo and an Intel Core i7-12700KF cpu and would like

some suggestions as to the brand and type of NVMe's that the community is currently recommending for new builds.

Till now, and on all my other rigs, I have exclusively used various SAMSUNG models throughout, without any problems, even some EVO 970 pros.

Any recommendations will be much appreciated.

Greetings Henties

@MaLd0n Thanks a lot, had a good look at the Corsair range at my regular supplier. They are a bit pricey but I think worth it. Will probably go for 3 x of the 2TB MP600 Pro models.

Just wandering if the ones with the heat sink will actually fit the GIGABYTE Z790 D DDR4 mobo which will hopefully be delivered tomorrow when I can check it myself. Gigabyte mobos are usually "encapsulating" NVMe's on their mobos under a heartsinks of their own.

While we are at it wandering what memory you would recommend, I am considering 4 x Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 3600Mhz sticks for a total 64 Gigs. The mobo can actually take "faster" memory, I might actually go for a version with a notch or 2 higher speed, what is your take on this one ? Memory sporting the RGB "shnic shnac" is not really compulsory, although perhaps aesthetically quite pleasing when in a box with a see through tampered glass side panel, which I do have for this new build.

Greetings Henties

Personally, I will choose to use WD Black 770 or 850X 1 terabyte. I'm currently debating.

Because I'm currently using 750 Black for Windows 11 Pro.

Edited by naiclub
  • Like 2

@naiclub I will choose between the WD-Black that you propose or the Corsair that is favvoured by @MaLd0n

The throughput of the Corsair NVMe's are actually quit impressive.

I will go for 3 x 2TB NVMe's, one for each operating system that this new rig will support, macOS, Linux and Win 11.

Each will be provided with a 500 GB partitôn for its operating system with the remaining space set aside as a data

store for one of the 2 remaining complimentary oprating systems, this should ease the workload of the NVMe controllers

somewhat when working in any one of the 3 opsyses.

What still remains is the choice of memory, wandering what you guys would recommend.

A friend of mine is going for a short visit to the US therefore its the right time to purchase now, especially the small

stuff, I can save a lot of shipping costs this way.

Greetings Henties

• Like 2

The Patriot Viper work 100% at 7000mhz on my Z790 Gaming X with last Bios/UEFI version. This is my favorite hackintosh for now https://olarila.com/topic/41059-the-real-vanilla-hackintosh-on-macos-sequoia-with-full-acpi/

https://www.amazon.com.br/Patriot-Viper-Venom-7200MHz-memória/dp/B0BT867HD6?th=1

KFpSi9H.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@MaLd0n Thanks a lot, I already had a look at the Patriot Viper, and was initially a bit worried about this extremely high speed range of this memory, wandering if the mobo can actually handle that without problems or side effects, you now convinced me to go for the Patriot Viper 2 x 32GB sticks.

The DDR4 Patriot Viper memory, DDR4 being required by my choice of mobo, is not available in speed ranges above 3600 Mhz

Your link points to DDR5 memory with the high speed of 7000 Mhz.

Greetings Henties

Edited by Henties
  • Like 3