[Release] macOS Sequoia 15.0

250 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@Slice

Yes, I can confirm that. iMac19,1 with SecureBootModel=x86legacy without RestrictEvents. If I change to any other SMBIOS (iMac20,x, iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1) then I do need RestrictEvents and the boot arg.

Thanks Bro for the clarification.

That explains when I forgot to insert that boot-arg, I could not boot my 20,1 Mac Model although I had the kext in the folder.

The two definitely go together for some models as you stated.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, miliuco said:

@Slice

Yes, I can confirm that. iMac19,1 with SecureBootModel=x86legacy without RestrictEvents. If I change to any other SMBIOS (iMac20,x, iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1) then I do need RestrictEvents and the boot arg.

I am using iMac19,1 on my main PC SecureBootModel=Disable + RestrictEvents without boot args

Update free 😀

• Like 5

I'm following this discussion with interest.  I think it would be beneficial for everyone if those reporting clarify the version of RestrictEvents.kext, since as @miliuco said, there was an "unofficial" fork that included revpatch=sbvmm by default.

EDIT: @Extreme™ is this still the RestrictEvents.kext variant that you are using?

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

I have this 3 TB Western Digital HDD (WD30ZRCX) which I use for data storage. Eversince macOS Ventura, it takes like 30 minutes until it pops up in the FInder and is accessible. It's formatted in ExFAT and there are no issues with it. It works fine in Windows and according to Crystal Disk Info, it's health is "good". I have a Z490 mainboard. I also have an additional 2TB Seagate HDD in the system formatted in APFS and it just works fine when booting macOS, so I don't thinks it's relatated to missing SATA controller kexts. Anyone had similar issues?

I am using iMac19,1 on my main PC SecureBootModel=Disable + RestrictEvents.kext without boot args

RestrictEvents.kext V-1.1.5 compile from source origin Acidenthera by me

I never have any issue to update macOS on this PC like this way

image.thumb.png.ebd57b0eda305d897b57dba264490047.pngimage.thumb.png.99e3a459898b774e4b6413305c32ac16.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Anto65 said:

RestrictEvents should not be needed with iMac19.1 at least in my case, I always received update notifications... SBM Disabled

It happens to me like you. But I don't need SBM=Disabled, it also works fine with SBM=x86legacy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anto65 said:

RestrictEvents should not be needed with iMac19.1 at least in my case, I always received update notifications... SBM Disabled for sure 🤷

So the kext are not need in my case, iMac19.1 do the job 

It would be interesting to know all the smbios that are capable

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, deeveedee said:

I'm following this discussion with interest.  I think it would be beneficial for everyone if those reporting clarify the version of RestrictEvents.kext, since as @miliuco said, there was an "unofficial" fork that included revpatch=sbvmm by default.

EDIT: @Extreme™ is this still the RestrictEvents.kext variant that you are using?

Hello,

RestrictEvents 1.1.5 from Dortania here:

https://dortania.github.io/builds/?product=RestrictEvents&viewall=true

A little video from my Sequoia beta 7

https://odysee.com/Untitled:0bc?r=Gdgb3ZTGusE6Zv8FScHnUe2xZ4qFQ7ca

Edited by Extreme™
  • Like 2

@deeveedee

RestrictEvents 1.1.5 "official" doesn't include the boot arg, it must be explicitly added, as you already know.

So, if @Extreme™ gets updates notification with MacPro7,1, this RestrictEvents but no boot arg, then there is something I don't understand.

Maybe the rule is not as simple as T2 -> boot arg needed, no T2 -> boot arg not needed.

On 10/19/2024 at 10:49 PM, LockDown said:

still no fix for bluetoothfixup that breaks incremental update?

See this.  Looks like it's not an easy fix.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I hope I understood well. I think the full updates are much useful than the incremental updates, even it is a 'cost' of temporary download. The incremental update replaces only the new versions of the system files, but the full update replaces all system files, being almost like a clean install, but without affecting the user folder. The time is almost the same, it differs only downloading 12G instead of 4-5 G. Then is the same, creating of the new recovery partition, then replacing main system files, then checking and sometimes repairing the drive FS and the permissions. I think the price of downloading a bigger ammount is not that big. Who has a Hackintosh with only 250G on one drive?

Edited by XanthraX
  • Like 2

@XanthraX - Your post has a lot of merit as I tend to opt for a clean install from time to time.

I tend to clean install to get rid of any redundant files left behind from uninstalled programs or such over a time period.

Most users prefer incremental updates over full updates purely because of the time factor.

Possibly not realizing the benefits of a clean pristine install. I adopted the regime of a clean install many versions ago with Chameleon as the Boot Loader running Snow Leopard.

So in conclusion, I whole heartedly agree that a clean install has greater benefits than an incremental one.

Whereas the time factor is the only mitigating argument, but I dare say many would argue it is not necessary to clean install if the system is running trouble free.

• Like 2