Hand Off to iPhone Camera by USB or Wireless in Sequoia Possible Fix

142 posts in this topic

In my desktop and laptop I have BCM4360 = Fenvi BCM94360NG M.2 Wifi + BT chip.
My laptop handoff to iphone works flawless over Wifi without having to use USB at all.
On my desktop with the same chip and settings I have to use USB first and it only works after opening facetime, closing it then opening it again.

Once it has been detected once I can then unplug from USB and use wirelessly.

My desktop does not have a secondary webcam or anything whereas my laptop has built in camera.

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-23at8_02_06PM.png.4b29b161bef0fd506bf12a678a168e16.png

Edited by SavageAUS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

My laptop handoff to iphone works flawless over Wifi without having to use USB at all.

I am taking note of all reported model iPhones 'Hand Off' camera connection with full 'Background Menu'.

I see in @SavageAUS post above it is a 15.

As I have reported on numerous times, I have no problem connecting with USB or Wireless.

My problem is a reduced Menu choice with a 11 pro max where I only see Center Stage, Portrait and Desk View. :(

Edited by eSaF
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, eSaF said:

My problem is a reduced Menu choice with a 11 pro max where I only see Center Stage, Portrait and Desk View. :(

I feel like iPhone 12 is probably the minimum requirement for this. But I could be wrong. We know it doesn't occur from 13 and up. And we know it does with the iPhone 11. I saw some mentions on Apple's side about the 12. It doesn't mention it specifically for this feature....but I feel like it might be the same.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2024 at 2:49 PM, arsradu said:

@eSaF Looks like we might have found the culprit here.

These are the options I get with the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Screenshot2024-09-22at15_48_16.png.9442ddde16c6b33fea9bd707c8193628.png

It downloads it automatically (if necessary) when you try to apply root patches. You just need to have a working internet connection.

Also, make sure the OS is up to date. Not a beta build.

@arsradu hi just reinstalled sequoia on usb has I had beta version on my hdd and no luck even with cable camera and handoff not working at  all im using OCLP version 

Application Version: 2.0.2

PatcherSupportPkg Version: 1.8.3

this is really weird  both iPhone 11 Pro on iOS 16 and iPhone SE iOS 18 ....

Little update after second reboot working but only cable no wifi …

Edited by robi62
More info

@robi62

It's the same for me, only USB by default. But unplugging the USB cable when iPhone camera is working (e.g. PhotoBooth), camera follows working while PhotoBooth window is not behind any other window. Have you tried?

I don't really know if this will help or have any significant impact on solving the 'Hand Off to iPhone Camera' problem.

I have attached a couple of pics of my other settings that may aid the WiFi problem.

When my phone is attached by USB, it appears in this way Dock Menubar Finder Sidebar (see attached).

This is attributed to including this in my USB Mapping (see Hackintool output pic).

When the iPhone shows up (by USB attachment), click on the Phone's icon there (see attachment).

Another Panel will show up with info about the iPhone, note my settings specially regarding 'Show this iPhone when on Wi-Fi'. The iPhone always shows attached whether by USB or WiFi whenever the phone is near.

You may get a popup to asking to 'Trust this Phone' just click Yes or a message to download software for the phone.

If you do get the download, when done reboot, clean NvRAM. At the desktop connect by USB then wireless.

In wireless if you get a Black Screen, do not be in a haste to move away, just give it a minute or two to see if you get a picture.

I really hope this helps but I must stress, this is all based on my own machine and settings that are working in 'Camera Hand Off'.

Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 18.48.49.png

Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 18.33.15.png

• Like 1

@eSaF

Me too, when connected by USB:

• I see iPhone in Hackintool >> USB ports
  • I have enabled Show this iPhone when on Wi-Fi
  • System Info says I have a camera.

But it doesn't work on Wi-Fi, although sometimes the camera remains active for a while after unplugging the cable USB.

Spoiler

Finder.thumb.png.b464460221586d0e2e5aa11cde3ac5d9.png

Hackintool.thumb.png.73200f80d59f44b086db4066bce81a6f.png

SystemInfo.thumb.png.974f883cae9fa5b21dc2ac67fc2377cc.png

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, miliuco said:

But it doesn't work on Wi-Fi, although sometimes the camera remains active for a while after unplugging the cable USB.

Bro sorry you're still having the problem with the Camera WiFi connection.

I am really trying to get to the bottom of why.

I can't remember if you reported that it works in Sonoma but not Sequoia.

My own System it works flawless in Sonoma apart from the extensive Background Menu limitation due to the iPhone 11.

In Sequoia USB connection, the picture is smooth and glitch free.

Whilst in WiFI connection, the picture will freeze for a second or so periodically and then stabilizes again.

That glitch is down to OCLP shortcomings in the ongoing development as it doesn't happen in Sonoma.

I maybe way off course here and clutching at straws but do you think lack of the WiFi connection could be down to VT-d setting in the BIOS and DisableIoMapper in config.plist?

• Like 2

@eSaF

Not so important for me, don't worry.

Yes, I have tried combination of VT-d, DisableIoMapper, DisableIoMapperMapping...

It's okey for me, Airdrop is for me the most important feature of the Apple eco-system and it does work, so...

• Like 2

@eSaF Very true, my friend. Why bothers me also, very much :) 

Like @miliuco said, it's not that much important to me but I really want to know what's the issue. 

Like in your case guys, I also see my iPhone ih Hackintool, Finder and Sys Info shows iPhone camera.

I did notice if I try to sync iPhone via WiFi it fails but if I do backup, it runs fine. Weird. 

• Like 2

On WiFI connection, the picture will freeze for a second looks like its because the microphone disconnects every 10 seconds.Check your system/sound/input. iPhone  continuity camera 

see the notification popup...

iphone.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, niknod said:

On WiFI connection, the picture will freeze for a second looks like its because the microphone disconnects every 10 seconds.Check your system/sound/input. iPhone  continuity camera 

see the notification popup...

Hmmmm!!! - That's a curious and interesting take.

Personally I let the system automatically choose the settings (like this) and it just works.

Not saying what you advocate is incorrect.

Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 08.58.37.png

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 2

For me too. Airdrop is working flawlessly, I see the iPhone on Finder with Wi-Fi, but Continuity works only if the iPhone is connected via USB. iPhone SE 3, iOS 18.01, macOS Sonoma / Sequoia.

42 minutes ago, XanthraX said:

For me too. Airdrop is working flawlessly, I see the iPhone on Finder with Wi-Fi, but Continuity works only if the iPhone is connected via USB. iPhone SE 3, iOS 18.01, macOS Sonoma / Sequoia.

Are you getting a black screen when attempting to connect by wireless?

If that's the case, just leave it at the black Screen for a minute or two to see what happens.

Still puzzled by the iPhone Camera wireless connection black screen, I think I may have found the problem.

I hope I am correct in my findings and assumption. I did an experiment to induce the black screen problem by making a few changes in my config.plist and my findings were correct.

According to if VT-d is enabled or disabled in the BIOS settings, it should correspond to what settings are in the config.plist (as shown).

The settings shown in example produced a black screen when I reversed these or set to NO.

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-10-07at13_16_52.thumb.png.18dabebe1ecaaf015dd0c709f298b776.png

There is a possibility one or two settings could be unnecessary, I will experiment further to clarify.

Please again, bear in mind this is all based on my MSI Z490 specially concerning the BIOS setting of VT-d.

If I remember correctly, this ties in with the config.plist settings shown on the arrowed attached.

Today I have spent near enough to 4 hours (the joy of being a retired person) trying to solve the wireless iPhone Camera Hand Off problem.

As @miliuco is also one who is having this problem, I took his Updated iMac 19.1 config.plist and altered my own to reflect his exact settings apart from S/N, SmUUID, etc.

On loading these config.plist settings into my machine, I got a Black Screen (See examples of Black Screen and his config.plist settings).

Changed back to my config.plist, reboot, cleaned NvRAM and the result speaks for itself (See examples of wireless Camera Hand Off and config.plist settings.

I really don't know what else to suggest to make this work apart from when switching to wireless connection, just wait a few seconds.

My own connects within 2 Seconds but I dare say it all depends on individual machines. I hope my extensive exploration helps to get this working for those still not able to connect wireless. Cheers.

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 14.03.46.png

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 14.13.00.png

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 14.34.05.png

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 14.22.55.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robi62 said:

@eSaF no luck did not work for me it does not connect with wifi

With the settings I posted working, try Disabling VT-d in the BIOS if it is Enabled or Enabled if Disabled.

Then reboot, clean NvRAM and try again. I think it will be all down to trying different settings in that area.

Keep a bootable copy of your Bootable EFI on a USB drive as a backup to boot from just incase.

Believe me, I have experimented over and over again with @miliuco updated OC config.plist which led me to the conclusion that there was a conflict in his settings that

caused the Black Screen when trying Wireless. That made me post my findings. We will see what his response is if/when he try the settings I posted.

• Like 2

@eSaF Hey bud, tnx for the shot. 

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I tried different scenarios with those settings but it didn't work.

And, if I disable SetVirtualMap or RebuildAppleMemoryApp, my Usb ports are not working.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Irish_Man said:

@eSaF Hey bud, tnx for the shot. 

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I tried different scenarios with those settings but it didn't work.

And, if I disable SetVirtualMap or RebuildAppleMemoryApp, my Usb ports are not working.

That's so crazy, I was convinced I found the missing puzzle after all that testing.

Ah well, I just don't know where to turn to now to help get over the problem.

It is proving so elusive to find a solution. The problem is I can only test on my machine as I only have the MSI Z490.

I still have the Gigabyte Z590 board but no components to put another Hack together for testing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

That's so crazy, I was convinced I found the missing puzzle after all that testing.

Ah well, I just don't know where to turn to now to help get over the problem.

It is proving so elusive to find a solution. The problem is I can only test on my machine as I only have the MSI Z490.

I still have the Gigabyte Z590 board but no components to put another Hack together for testing.

Yeah, it is crazy. I was hoping that you found the culprit.

I have MSI z690 but tomorrow I'll be able to test it on gigabyte z490. 

Will see how it goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@eSaF

Thank for spending your time to help us.

Today I have been busy, I'll try tomorrow.

Are you on iMac20,1 or iMac20,2?
I can try these SMBIOS, they work fine on my system.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, miliuco said:

Are you on iMac20,1 or iMac20,2?

Sorry for the late reply my friend, I am on Mac 20,1.

In my findings report with your config.plist which I described as wrong maybe incorrect.

I used the word 'Wrong' because when I use your exact settings apart from the Mac data, I got a Black Screen every time.

Reverting to my config.plist settings, wireless connection video was achieved.

As I declared in another post, I still have my Gigabyte Z590 Board but lack other components to use it as a test bench.

Maybe that is something I will have to look into as a future project which would perhaps prove ideal for this kind of situation.

I do have some odd parts about but CPU, RAM and Power Unit I will have to obtain.

Hope you have some success with trying my findings although they proved negative for others.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 2

@eSaF

Thanks for all the info.

I've tried iMac20,1 with your settings (as seen in the pic), macOS boots fine, no difference with iMac19,1 but iPhone Camera does not work, connection by USB and no connection by Wi-Fi.

Don't worry, I can live without this feature 🙂

• Sad 1