Hand Off to iPhone Camera by USB or Wireless in Sequoia Possible Fix

142 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

I don't have any connection problems at all in Sonoma.

F/Time, Photo Booth and Quick Time all perfect.

In Sequoia all of those apps connects with both USB and Wireless.

The next time you have a connection problem, go into 'Disk Utility' and run 'First Aid' on the disk.

Then reboot and clean NvRAM, those steps should clear the glitch.

The one other thing I have noticed as well is there is no 'Background' option in the Menu apart from 'Blur' in portrait mode.

Change of 'Background' in video calling is not unique to silicon or T2 Macs but also available to Intel Macs

So I don't understand why I am not seeing it on my machine as in this pic.

Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 17.40.17.png

Well, I'll be damned! :))) That actually worked! Now I have Continuity Camera working again via WIFI!

One thing I've noticed though, and that also happened before, is that from time to time, it shortly says "Connecting to iMac" then again "Connected to iMac" while the video goes to blur for a fraction of a second. Like it's shortly disconnecting and reconnecting.

Also, Backgrounds feature, now that you mentioned it, works fine, too! :))

I was just wondering, does yours connect via WIFI directly? Cause I can only use WiFi connection after it's been plugged in via USB. I couldn't get it to connect via WIFI directly. It doesn't recognise the camera (the iPhone in this case).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Well, I'll be damned! :))) That actually worked! Now I have Continuity Camera working again via WIFI!

One thing I've noticed though, and that also happened before, is that from time to time, it shortly says "Connecting to iMac" then again "Connected to iMac" while the video goes to blur for a fraction of a second. Like it's shortly disconnecting and reconnecting.

Also, Backgrounds feature, now that you mentioned it, works fine, too! :))

I was just wondering, does yours connect via WIFI directly? Cause I can only use WiFi connection after it's been plugged in via USB. I couldn't get it to connect via WIFI directly. It doesn't recognise the camera (the iPhone in this case).

Continuity Camera working only if I connect it to Usb and then I can disconnect. That's not how suppose to work, tho. It should be recognized as soon as you open FaceTime. 

Video goes blur every 12 seconds on my machine. It happens only on WiFI.

Background is working fine as you can see on the pic. You have 3 tabs to choose from. 

Spoiler

1.thumb.jpg.47ab6aa1b5ee5428c4b5b373f85f6e65.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Irish_Man said:

Continuity Camera working only if I connect it to Usb and then I can disconnect. That's not how suppose to work, tho. It should be recognized as soon as you open FaceTime. 

Video goes blur every 12 seconds on my machine. It happens only on WiFI.

Background is working fine as you can see on the pic. You have 3 tabs to choose from. 

Hide contents

Yeah. Backgrounds work fine for me, too. But Continuity Camera is not recognised by default, via WIFI... Only if I connect to USB first, unplug USB, then and it goes to WIFI automatically. But if I disconnect, from the iPhone, I can't reconnect (unless I plug in USB again).

Not sure why. On my M1 MBP it works via WIFI, from the beginning. Now, of course, it's also supposed to work that way. :))

Also, indeed, video goes to blur only via WIFI. Works fine via USB.

Edited by arsradu

The same issue I have when I try to connect my iPhone via BT. It's discovered and it connects. After 5 seconds it's disconnected and I have to "Forget this device" to be able to connect it for another 5 sec :)

Otherwise I get an error "Device not supported". All other devices I use are connected and they working fine, as you can see on the picture. 

I even unlock my hack using Apple Watch. 

Spoiler

1.png.569a50cab17808478562c04d7f848ed4.png

Edited by Irish_Man
Typo

I don't have any problem connecting 'Hand Off' by WIFI straight away, no need to plug into USB to get it.

@arsradu can you change the Background to any picture? That part of the drop down menu is missing on mine.

I don't have that, I can only blur the background.

The 'Background' part in the menu allows you to have any picture to the back of you in video calling like the Green Screen effect.

I may have to investigate further on my machine why 'Background' is missing for me.

The video image burring and freezing every ten seconds or so is a failing in OCLP until the Devs sort it out.

22 minutes ago, eSaF said:

I don't have any problem connecting 'Hand Off' by WIFI straight away, no need to plug into USB to get it.

@arsradu can you change the Background to any picture? That part of the drop down menu is missing on mine.

I don't have that, I can only blur the background.

The 'Background' part in the menu allows you to have any picture to the back of you in video calling like the Green Screen effect.

I may have to investigate further on my machine why 'Background' is missing for me.

The video image burring and freezing every ten seconds or so is a failing in OCLP until the Devs sort it out.

Yes, I can choose either from the predefined pictures (or coloured blur backgrounds) and my own photos. In order to select another background, you need to click on the actual background, not the option in the menu.

That should give you access to this window. From here, you can either select another blur color, background, browse image from your computer, and so on so forth.

image.png.49629ab7264a8b318ec29588c5b65401.pngimage.png.3c2c7c9cbd9deb4650a46707939a22af.png

But you do need to click here.

Screenshot2024-09-20at22_49_28.png.dbd34f70d61520ee324495b06c3e4f52.png

However....I found a fix for my WIFI Continuity Camera. :))) And it's as Apple-like as it can get.... But they did mention it here. So I'll give them that. That was my mistake for not knowing how it works.

So, in order to activate Continuity Camera via WIFI (without connecting to USB first), you need to do this:

Mount your iPhone

Continuity Camera mounts and other iPhone-compatible mounts and stands are available from many manufacturers. When mounted, your iPhone should be:

• Near your Mac
  • Stable
  • Positioned with its rear cameras facing you and unobstructed
  • In landscape orientation to allow apps to choose your iPhone automatically, or in portrait orientation

And it works!! It freaking works! :)) It just needs to be stable (I have a cheap mounting stand but I guess it would work on anything as long as it's stable), facing you, and screen LOCKED (I had mine unlocked while trying all this). Of course, it also needs to be in the vicinity of your Mac, connected to the sam WIFI, BT enabled and all that. But you already know all that.

So yeah, now, aside from the freezing/disconnecting from time to time, everything is working perfectly!

I read online that it also needs another camera. So, as it happened to have another camera laying around, I plugged that in. But now it's unplugged, and it still works perfectly fine via WIFI. So I'm not sure if that did anything to fix it. Probably not.

11 minutes ago, eSaF said:

@Irish_Man Bro which Sequoia version are you running, is it the released version or the Beta 15.1 version?

Well, technically I shouldn't get 15.1. :)) Since that's only for US. But I think something in our restricted events kext might have unlocked that too. Cause, since I was still on the Beta, I got 15.1 Beta. So...yeah, I'm on 15.1 now.

Edit: aaaand, now I saw the message was for Irish_Man. I'll just shut up now. :)) Please, ignore me.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, eSaF said:

@Irish_Man Bro which Sequoia version are you running, is it the released version or the Beta 15.1 version?

Bro, Im running the released version, 15.0 but the same thing is happening on my other drive which is on 15.1 beta 

13 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Mount your iPhone

Continuity Camera mounts and other iPhone-compatible mounts and stands are available from many manufacturers. When mounted, your iPhone should be:

• Near your Mac
  • Stable
  • Positioned with its rear cameras facing you and unobstructed
  • In landscape orientation to allow apps to choose your iPhone automatically, or in portrait orientation

And it works!! It freaking works! :)) It just needs to be stable (I have a cheap mounting stand but I guess it would work on anything as long as it's stable), facing you, and screen LOCKED (I had mine unlocked while trying all this). Of course, it also needs to be in the vicinity of your Mac, connected to the sam WIFI, BT enabled and all that. But you already know all that.

So yeah, now, aside from the freezing/disconnecting from time to time, everything is working perfectly!

This "fix" doesn't work for me :)

Edited by Irish_Man

16 minutes ago, Irish_Man said:

Bro, Im running the released version, 15.0 but the same thing is happening on my other drive which is on 15.1 beta 

This "fix" doesn't work for me :)

Update on that: looks like you DO need another camera plugged in, in order to detect the iPhone, as well. It should look something like this.

Screenshot2024-09-20at22_36_09.png.524c58f5e052a6536ae13ba9bea71991.png

So, if you just want to connect via WIFI, regardless if it's stable, connected and all that, it won't show up in the menu, and it won't start automatically. If you have another camera plugged in (it can also be a USB webcam), it will show both, like in my screenshot above.

So, you need both:

1. a webcam connected via USB (or built-in). I'm guessing this would serve as the "main camera", or built-in, like it is for iMacs/MacBooks etc. So, the "Continuity Camera" seems to be designed to be the second camera.

2. a stand or something, and the other requirements from Apple's website.

Also, another interesting thing, with my M1 MBP, the phone doesn't have to be stable. It works via WIFI regardless. But looks like for use with a Desktop PC (iMac/Mac Pro emulator), it needs to be stable, on a stand somewhere, and facing you.

Very interesting implementation.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 3

Ok I have two options here as I don't have the 'Background' option in the drop down camera menu.

It's either a clean install (again) or do a Restore from the boot menu both a PITA experience at this stage.

Trivial as it is, I always use this analogy...........It's like owning a Ferrari and just tootling along the highway at 30 MPH.

Complete waste of all them horses under the hood. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Ok I have two options here as I don't have the 'Background' option in the drop down camera menu.

It's either a clean install (again) or do a Restore from the boot menu both a PITA experience at this stage.

Trivial as it is, I always use this analogy...........It's like owning a Ferrari and just tootling along the highway at 30 MPH.

Complete waste of all them horses under the hood. :lol:

I feel you bro. 

My moto never failed me" Fix it until it's broken" :)

31 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Update on that: looks like you DO need another camera plugged in, in order to detect the iPhone, as well. It should look something like this.

So, if you just want to connect via WIFI, regardless if it's stable, connected and all that, it won't show up in the menu, and it won't start automatically. If you have another camera plugged in (it can also be a USB webcam), it will show up both, like in my screenshot above.

So, you need both:

1. a webcam connected via USB (or built-in). I'm guessing this would serve as the "main camera", or built-in, like it is for iMacs/MacBooks etc. So, the "Continuity Camera" seems to be designed to be the second camera.

2. a stand or something, and the other requirements from Apple's website.

Also, another interesting thing, with my M1 MBP, the phone doesn't have to be stable. It works via WIFI regardless. But looks like for use with a Desktop PC (iMac/Mac Pro emulator), it needs to be stable, on a stand somewhere, and facing you.

Very interesting implementation.

Unfortunately, 2nd camera doesn't fix the issue for me. The only difference is that with 2nd camera plugged in I can see now iPhone camera to choose from under FaceTime/Video. Otherwise, only option I have for camera is "Automatic Camera selection"

For Mic settings I can select iPhone mic. 

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-20at4_08_48PM.png.5fbbaa1d5a9703b92d6916afee467750.png

Edited by Irish_Man
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Irish_Man said:

Unfortunately, 2nd camera doesn't fix the issue for me. The only difference is that with 2nd camera plugged in I can see now iPhone camera to choose from under FaceTime/Video. Otherwise, only option I have for camera is "Automatic Camera selection"

For Mic settings I can select iPhone mic. 

Ok....and if you select the iPhone from the menu, it doesn't work? Sounds like it should...

Edited by arsradu

Just now, arsradu said:

Ok....and if you select the iPhone from the menu, it doesn't work? Sounds like it should...

Check the pic in my post. After I disconnect iPhone there is no option for iPhone camera, only microphone.

Looks like OCLP Metallib component received an update and now my 2013 MBP can access and use FaceTime camera, as well as iPhone Continuity Camera, via WIFI. Same problem as on my hack, meaning that it seems to be disconnecting or something, but yeah, it's working. Kinda. :)

image.thumb.png.95a083d4cad7fa64c25a6e6ce30cc4c5.png

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 2

I have the weirdest behaviour on my Hack in 'Hand Off' to iPhone camera.

I can get both USB and Wireless connection to the camera but in the drop down menu is limited to three choices.

I get no change of background choice. I did a clean install on a test disk and it's still the same.

I even changed the Mac Model but no different. I don't even get the Menu Bar for the camera showing the background choices. 

I am beginning to wonder if the Fenvi T-919 is limited in a way although all other aspects of the card works perfectly.

I may try a genuine Apple Card with an adapter and patch with OCLP and see if the results will change

The results are the same in Sonoma as well. :wallbash:

Screenshot 2024-09-21 at 17.59.17.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

I have the weirdest behaviour on my Hack in 'Hand Off' to iPhone camera.

I can get both USB and Wireless connection to the camera but in the drop down menu is limited to three choices.

I get no change of background choice. I did a clean install on a test disk and it's still the same.

I even changed the Mac Model but no different. I don't even get the Menu Bar for the camera showing the background choices. 

I am beginning to wonder if the Fenvi T-919 is limited in a way although all other aspects of the card works perfectly.

I may try a genuine Apple Card with an adapter and patch with OCLP and see if the results will change

The results are the same in Sonoma as well. :wallbash:

Screenshot 2024-09-21 at 17.59.17.png

What is the iPhone being used here?

5 hours ago, eSaF said:

Not sure about the card. I'm using a genuine Apple Card pulled out from a Mac .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eSaF said:

It's an 11 pro max.

According to Apple, Background effects are only available on Apple Silicon Macs.

image.png.8342ced0e6a7816edd3de978be8208b6.png

However, we all know that's not quite true. And I also tested this on my 2013 MBP. Guess what? It shows up and working fine. So that's not it. But...maybe some of the kexts you're using or boot arguments prevent you from showing up correctly in front of Apple's servers. Just a thought.

Since you already tried clean install, I'm thinking the problem is likely not with the OS, but maybe, just maybe, within EFI.

I also have a theory that maybe, since this is "iPhone Camera", some features might be model specific. Now, as it happens, I do have an iPhone 11 Pro Max nearby, but it's not logged into my account. So that doesn't work. But I'll try to see if I can log out and log into my account to test this theory. In the meantime, do you have a newer model laying around? Can you test with another iPhone?

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arsradu said:

In the meantime, do you have a newer model laying around? Can you test with another iPhone?

Thanks for the insightful reply, my wife has a newer model, I will try her's and report back.

Cheers.

11 hours ago, Irish_Man said:

Not sure about the card. I'm using a genuine Apple Card pulled out from a Mac .

Cheers Bro, I have one on order, should be here sometime next week.

I am beginning to lean towards the limitations of the Fenvi as well.

11 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Thanks for the insightful reply, my wife has a newer model, I will try her's and report back.

Cheers.

FYI, Im using iPhone 13 Pro max.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

Cheers.

Which one did you order? Just curious. :D

20 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Which one did you order? Just curious. :D

This one, don't know if correct.

I tend flay around in the dark until I hit the goal.

Usually I will end up with a load of useless junk (the wife's words not mine) :hysterical:

until I get it right. :frantics:

Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 12.23.34.png

Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 12.27.57.png

1 hour ago, Irish_Man said:

FYI, Im using iPhone 13 Pro max.

Thanks that's the wife's model.

Edited by eSaF
Added pic
  • Like 2