Hand Off to iPhone Camera by USB or Wireless in Sequoia Possible Fix

eSaF

39 posts in this topic

As the Sequoia forum was getting bogged down with this subject, I thought a Stand alone Thread would be more fitting.

I cannot guarantee the fixes here will solve the Camera Hand Off to iPhone will work for all as this is solely based on my system and my experience. I invite all who has had success to post their own experience and fixes to help others.

The possible fix I offer will work in Sonoma and Sequoia, offering Face Time video calling as well as available in Quick Time ,Photo Booth and possibly any app that involves video calling such as WhatsApp.

My Card is a Combo Fenvi T-919 which was native to Apple up to Ventura until Apple dropped support in Sonoma. This is where OCLP patching came in allowing the continued use of the BCM Cards.

At the Introduction of Sequoia, it all changed again as Apple changed the way WIFI was handled which again caused WIFI to be nonfunctional. The Devs again had to rehash OCLP to enable WIFI once more and happy to say this was achieved.

Ok enough of my waffling.

If you cannot wait for the official OCLP release, you need to download OCLP 2.0.0 (Nightly).

1. Run the OCLP App at the prompt then reboot.

2. Connect your iPhone to the P/C by USB cable and test 'Hand Off' to iPhone Camera, at this point it should work.

3. Remove the USB cable and test the connection by Wireless, note both devices must be on the exact same Network with the Phone directly and close to your machine.

4. If Wireless connection results in a black screen, reboot, clean NvRAM and try Wireless connection again and wait for a few seconds, if the results are no better try this fix.

5. Revert the OCLP patches which will force a reboot, on reaching the Desktop wait for the prompt to patch again but do not patch, hit Cancel.

6. Go to Finder/Applications and delete the app then go to /Library/ApplicationSupport/ and delete the Dortania Folder if it is still there.

7. Reboot, clean NvRAM, at the Desktop it is a good time to check all kexts and OC are the latest versions as well as the OCLP kexts, then install the OCLP app again.

8. After patching is once again done, test Hand Off to iPhone by USB connection and then Wireless.

If the above steps still proves negative, try nuking the Network Settings as below:

Go into /Library/Preferences/System Configuration/ and delete:

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

com.apple.network.identification.plist

com.apple.smb.server.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences.plist

Don't worry if all the above is not there, just delete the ones that are and empty the Trash.

The deleted files will be recreated by the System when you boot again. You'll need to connect to your WIFI Network after.

Hopefully when you try Hand Off all will be working.

I invite all that has both connections working to correct or add anything helpful.

I have attached my Hackintool output also OCAT kexts and array.

Edit:

I realize the Steps at the head of the Thread is not a One Fix For All, as I said on the onset it is all based on my machine.

The only other thing I can suggest, you need to try different methods i.e removing possibly potential kexts. Insure Air Drop is working in both directions.

Past Apple supported BCM Cards shouldn't need B/T Kext Injectors or the kind

This is little comfort to the ones still trying to get this to work but this certainly reminds me of when Apple first introduced iMessage to the OS.

Some got the activation straight away and others found it tough going.

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-12at20_24_37.png.710d1ee927d0f0ad40ebad2d405614b3.pngScreenshot2024-09-12at22_18_58.thumb.png.bb2f19b15f2fc4ff4b452d739e861833.png

Edited by eSaF
Ad more context to main body of Thread
  • Like 8

@eSaF

Morning still iPhone get connected only in usb when I try wifi I just get scrren that is connected but no video

When I try to connect my iPhone with bluetooth this is error I get not supported.

I have a question my iOS is 16 is that why is not working???

Do you atcually see your iphone if you open airdrop??

I can only see it if connected with cable

I enclose screenshot of OCLP for version used

This is my config

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 11.19.47.png

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 11.15.17.png

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 11.06.32.png

IMG_5355.PNG

IMG_5353.PNG

@eSaF 

I forgot that I had a Sonoma partition too on laptop just tried by the way I use same efi same config file and it works wireless Camera seems though a bit slow and erratic

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 11.47.33.png

Edited by robi62

@eSaF I just cleared all my system configuration files rebooted but in sequoia stiill the same.

Can you check which patchersupportpkg version you have on your OCPL app that could actually make a difference

Edited by robi62

4 hours ago, robi62 said:

Can you check which patchersupportpkg version you have on your OCPL app that could actually make a difference

This is the difference between yours and mine right here.

I can see Air Drop with both connections USB and Wireless and can transfer documents in both directions.

My iPhone is quite old by comparison, it's the 11 Pro Max.

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-13at15_26_21.thumb.png.82c05d20aca70ef26074df83a6959224.png

7 hours ago, Irish_Man said:

@eSaF, thank you for starting the thread.

I tried all that few times already with no luck.

I'm completely out of ideas. 

Can you get 'Hand Off' to iPhone with USB connection?

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

Hi All, since you're still having a 'Hand Off' problem, don't be afraid to experiment.

Insure you have a reliable boot USB Drive with your current EFI Folder on it's EFI Partition just incase.

If you have AMFI data in boot-arg, remove it and use the updated AMFI.kext instead.

Reboot and clean NvRAM at least twice and see what results you get.

Another point to make, insure Air Drop is working in both directions with USB and Wireless this is most important.

Although Phone is connected by B/T,  it will not show in the connection panel and will say not connected if you try. This has been the way since B/S (If I remember correctly).

Note: If you have an installed BCM Card that was previously supported by Apple before Sonoma and now Sequoia but can be patched by OCLP, Check that Air Drop is operational in both directions by USB and Wireless.

These Cards, as far as I am concerned worked OOB and did not need any B/T kexts or the like.

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-13at15_49_03.png.af44ef7d746c6cb4ed73cdf1bcc06088.pngScreenshot2024-09-13at15_50_39.thumb.png.e3c4aa94f988fc38a271aab479995446.png

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

I have just updated to the latest OCLP (Nightly)2.0.0 that contains PatcherSupportPkg Version: 1.8.0.

Tested 'Hand Off' to Camera and both types of connection continues to work as before after the update.

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-13at18_22_44.png.2aced38d4b818e0bb91bd8949c245ebb.pngScreenshot2024-09-13at18_23_03.thumb.png.bf22d2b76c4f81a86641068f8e70d385.pngScreenshot2024-09-13at18_24_14.thumb.png.9c9e0a4cf11f3716e315ebb5a9c28ac0.png

Edited by eSaF
Removed some text that was added to main body
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Irish_Man said:

Yes, with Usb is working fine.

Everything is working both ways but Hand Off to camera.

So if I understand you correctly, when you connect the phone by USB cable, you can get Hand Off to the phone camera?

6 hours ago, Irish_Man said:

Yes, when it's connected by USB cable, Hand Off to phone camera is working fine.

Ok, See if Air Drop is working wireless from P/C to Phone and Phone to P/C.

You should be able to see the connection on the Phone and then the P/C in both situations when Air Drop is activated.

One more thing, did Camera 'Hand Off' work in Sonoma?

24 minutes ago, robi62 said:

Im referring to use cont camera mac airplay sidecar do they mean off??

No that means they must not be in use at the same time you are trying to connect Hand Off wirelessly to the iPhone Camera.

My Air Play and Side Car are all in Default Mode which is ON.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

is your iPhone running the latest version?

As I said my phone is quite old compared to what is available now.

It is running IOS 18.0.0, as a matter of fact I am always running the latest iOS Developers Betas on it as they come out.

It's obvious if you can connect by USB and get Camera Hand Off but not by Wireless, then there is something off between the P/C WIFI and Phone.

They are not syncing with each other somehow wirelessly.

This is a stab in the dark, try resetting the Network Settings on the iPhone and see what happens.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robi62 said:

s your iPhone running the latest version?

My iPhone is on the very latest version which is IOS 18.0

Try updating to this version and see if that makes a difference, you never know, it may work.

19 minutes ago, robi62 said:

@eSaF it might do but my iphone 11 pro is jailbroken so it’ s a miss I’m afraid

Ah yes, that might be a big no no I'm afraid.

You'll have to continue with USB connection unless you can reverse the jailbreak and update to the latest IOS Version.

My iPhone is on iOS 18 but still...

I've noticed when I connect my iPhone with Usb cable and then I open FaceTime, Hand Off to iPhone works fine.

After I disconnect my iPhone from Usb, Hand Off is still working for some time, few minutes maybe, it's never the same. 

While disconnected somehow the camera "refreshes" its positioning every 12 seconds. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Irish_Man said:

While disconnected somehow the camera "refreshes" its positioning every 12 seconds. 

Yes I have also noticed this at times.

This does not happen in Ventura or Sonoma. I think we can put this down to OCLP patching the wireless connection to iPhone in Sequoia.

Hopefully this will be ironed out in the coming releases in both the OS and OCLP.

It would be interesting to know if this behaviour is also present in real Intel Macs patched by OCLP.

• Like 2

I will do my best to explain.

On my laptop which has the same wifi chip as the desktop handoff camera works perfectly.

On my desktop is does not.

I don't know if it is an AMD thing or a config problem.

Kexts are all to date, OCLP is 2.0.0 release.

I have an iPhone 15 Pro running ios 18.1 beta connected to same network.

My iPhones appears a microphone source for facetime but no video options.

Both USB and wireless options do not work.

I have nuked network prefs etc.
Air drop works both ways.

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-16at8_18_02PM.png.1f4353d576b6ce00bc6407f9cb87e18b.png

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-16at8_15_30PM.thumb.png.a7e459b262f20438675d9ff5011b70e6.png

config.plist

Hey @eSaF My WIFI card and adapter finally arrived. Will tell you more about that once I manage to boot my system. LOL.

Also, I will gladly test the handoff thingy If I can manage to boot. :))

So looks like with iOSkywalkFamily kext, I get a kernel panic (saying: "refusing new kext com.iokit.IOSkywalkFamily, 1.0: a prelinked copy with a different executable UUID is already present")

What the hell does that mean and why is that preventing me to boot?!

I've spent already couple of hours trying to fix this. Looks like nothing works. What am I missing?

I'm using OCLP 2.0.0, kexts are up to date, as far as I can tell. I've added AMFIPass.kext and the two WIFI kext (IOSkywalkFamily and the other one, something with "legacy"...). Still, I can't boot.

Also, is amfi=0x80 boot arg still necessary if I'm using the AMFIPass kext?

On the bright side...if there is one, looks like BT is now working by default. :)) LOL.

Edited by arsradu