HP LaserJet 2100 PCL Printer (JetDirect) installation in macOS Sequoia

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have an old HP LaserJet 2100 with JetDirect card.  I was unable to install a working LaserJet 2100 driver in macOS Sequoia, but the following worked for me:

1. Find the LaserJet 2100 JetDirect IP Address (I looked in Printer Properties on a Windows PC where the LaserJet 2100 Printer was added)
  2. macOS System Settings > Printers & Scanners > Add Printer > Customize Toolbar: Add Advanced item to toolbar
  3. macOS System Settings > Printers & Scanners > Add Printer > Advanced
    • Type: JetDirect
    • Device: Another Device (default)
    • URL: socket://<IP Address from Step 1>
    • Name: Name your printer (defaults to IP address)
    • Use: Generic PCL (do not use LaserJet 2100 even if the driver is auto-detected)
    • Click "Add" button

EDIT: As discussed below, there are PostScript variants of the HP LaserJet 2100.  It is likely that the Apple-provided HP LaserJet 2100 driver would work with PostScrip-enabled LaserJet 2100 Series printers (including 2100 N and 2100 TN). My LaserJet 2100 is a PCL printer that does not have the PostScript option.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

@Max.1974 Responding here to your post in the Sequoia thread.  I did test the "Genuine" drivers.  While they install without issues, I am unable to print.  My attempts to print with the "Genuine" drivers results in blank or garbled pages.  The Generic PCL driver works very well.  It is possible that others may still be able to use the "Genuine" drivers, but they did not work for me with my LaserJet 2100 (with JetDirect Ethernet card).

EDIT: When I tested these drivers that you referenced, I was able to install a LaserJet 2100 driver, but my testing showed that the driver was a PostScript driver and not a PCL driver.  My HP LaserJet 2100 is a PCL printer.  I edited the title of this post to add PCL to the thread title.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

So sorry my dear, im not read correctly because my HP LAserJet is 1200 series e yours is 2100 series. So really sorry about that. The drivers is genuine made by HP. Available from Apple resources 

Forgive me mistake :cry: 

• Like 1

A long time ago I find a solution to back up my drivers folder, and I never had issues. 

image.png.a6dfefa4e577ff7feac2ab44e8901012.png

To me always work backup this folders from last compatible macOs. 

BTW your drivers is in folder

image.png.d1d424152efa4e46817ff292cc70a799.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Max.1974 I appreciate your persistence. I did test the LaserJet 2100 Driver. It is a PostScript driver that does not work with my printer.

EDIT: This is the text that appears at the top of one of the pages when I attempt to print to my LaserJet 2100 with the driver you referenced.

thumbnail_IMG_3088.thumb.jpg.94935ff7f86e8cab121b946c4f23e2d3.jpg

This clearly shows that the driver is attempting to issue a PostScript command to my printer.   I'm not concerned about the PostScript incompatibility, because the Generic PCL driver works very well.

EDIT2: I found this option in a LaserJet 2100 Service Manual:

PostScript™ Level 2 Emulation (PS) DIMM. Factory installed on the
2100 M and 2100 TN.

Apparently, the LaserJet 2100 offers a PostScript Emulation option that my LaserJet 2100 does not have.  Since my printer was originally used only in a Windows environment, this does not surprise me.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Im just try help, thank you...in fact I know that Apple and HP not show up very well this drivers. 

In case that you try with compatible installer, and backup your drivers, I found your model in HP site. 2008 

https://support.hp.com/pt-pt/drivers/hp-laserjet-2100-printer-series/25469 

In my models works fine...so thanks again and so sorry by the my mistake 

:plane:

Edited by Max.1974
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Max.1974 I appreciate your offer to help!  I didn't do a good job of communicating my PCL-specific requirements, so it is thanks to your suggestions that I added the PCL-qualifiers to this thread.  It is also thanks to your suggestions that I ordered a PostScript emulator card for my printer.  It's only $10 USD, because the printer is sooooo old (1999).  HP did a great job with this printer - it still works perfectly.

I'll update this thread when I receive my PostScript emulator card.  Maybe I'll be able to use your recommended drivers after all.

Thank you!

EDIT: A bonus of getting the PostScript Emulator DIMM is that it adds 4MB RAM to my old printer.  4MB added to a 1999 printer is a lot of RAM 😀

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@deeveedee my dear, don't worry about explaining, I don't always understand everything, but just to say that my printer is so wonderful, and lasts more than 2 thousand pages with 1 toner of printing, and why I completely restored it, changing all the important, small parts And importantly, like the rubbers and lubrication, I know the value of such a noble tool. Even more from such an exceptional HP IBM line. I've had it since 2010 and there was no driver for macOs at the time. So I think I saved the Mountain Lion drivers or something. Thank you my dear!! Hugs!!

Edited by Max.1974
  • Like 1