[pre-release] macOS Sequoia

2,186 posts in this topic

For those using AdvancedMap.kext: v4.0.0 works in Sequoia but not in Sonoma. But v3.0.0 works in Sonomo, so…

I did this to workaround the problem:

Bildschirmfoto2024-08-11um19_40_55.thumb.png.fb560e6444ca0978bdfa2e82eb5f41e9.png

And yes, you can rename kexts, since they are nothing more than containers! You just have to ensure to control which one is loaded by utilizing MinKernel and MaxKernel Settings

Edited by cankiulascmnfye
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Recently I posted a screenshot of Opencore start problem in the case of a upgrade install to macOS Sequoia. I find it strange since my EFI is working under Ventura. Did all the necessary changes to config file still no success.

In the reddit Hackintosh forum the user called  doggodoesaflipinabox 😀 posted this:

"Updating to Sequoia

As Apple now polls for more T2-specific information from its Macs, you can't update to Sequoia without either of these fixes:

• Use iMac19,1 SMBIOS to update, then revert to your old SMBIOS if needed

• Download the latest release of RestrictEvents.kext, and use it with the boot argument revpatch=sbvmm."

Could it be that you all upgraded using the mentioned iMac SMBIOS? My SMBIOS is macPro 7,1 and that would explain it.

29 minutes ago, BarryBar said:

Recently I posted a screenshot of Opencore start problem in the case of a upgrade install to macOS Sequoia. I find it strange since my EFI is working under Ventura. Did all the necessary changes to config file still no success.

In the reddit Hackintosh forum the user called  doggodoesaflipinabox 😀 posted this:

"Updating to Sequoia

As Apple now polls for more T2-specific information from its Macs, you can't update to Sequoia without either of these fixes:

• Download the latest release of RestrictEvents.kext, and use it with the boot argument revpatch=sbvmm."

Could it be that you all upgraded using the mentioned iMac SMBIOS? My SMBIOS is macPro 7,1 and that would explain it.

In Sonoma using SMBIOS iMac19,1 allows you to get update. In Sequoia not.

To get updates in Sequoia you need RestrictEvents.kext or use Clover as I do.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, BarryBar said:

"Updating to Sequoia

Well, the important part is a) registering the sytstem for beta update and b) using  RestrictEvents + boot-arg/NVRAM entry.

RestrictEvents is mandatory when:

- Using anything else than 00000000 for csr-active-config

- SecureBootModel is set to Disabled (which you must do in order to be able to update to anything newer than macOS 14.3 – otherwise the installer will crash early!)

Changing SMBIOS is not a necessity. See, I have a Cometlake CPU so iMac20,2 works. And I have a Lenovo Notebook which uses MBP15,2 SMBIOS and I can install 15.0 beta 5 on both machines.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, BALDY_MAN said:

thanks for your help. I'm just going back to Sonoma. thanks again

Try Manually my friend, if you can't run programs 

Follow this video: 

Spoiler

To Watch this video  in 4k resolution, don't use Safari on Sequoia. 

• Like 1

@chris1111 - Just want to say a big thank you for the apps, giving back the function to mount and show all Drives in Sequoia.

As you can see from my Desk Top pic, both apps work very well with all types of Drive internal and external.

You have one very grateful recipient, thank you my friend. :thumbsup_anim:

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-08-11at21_14_23.thumb.png.9ae47035c0e14f3c1d28aa9a3ab6faa4.png

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 6

CorpNewt created a new branch for MountEFI for beta 5. The .command script and the automator workflow for right-clicking and mountig the EFI partition work again:

https://github.com/corpnewt/MountEFI/tree/sequoia-beta5-test

"[This] checks the build number of the OS to determine the mounting strategy employed. This will likely stay out of the main branch unless this issue persists through release, but should work as a stop-gap until then."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mounting USB fat32 in macOS 15 Sequoia 5 method described by chris1111. Both the use of terminal and application,

the two methods mount the EFI instead of the USB fat32, I add an explanatory photoExecuting: /usr/bin/kmutil load -p /System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext

image.png.f8a758012577c1c4f6e70ed3fca07bd3.png

Edited by kaoskinkae
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, kaoskinkae said:

Mounting USB fat32 in macOS 15 Sequoia 5 method described by chris1111. Both the use of terminal and application,

the two methods mount the EFI instead of the USB fat32, I add an explanatory photo

Your Microsoft USB contains an EFI partition disk7s1

So for this usb  please try to use the command that I just renamed for you and this Microsoft USB (NO NAME)

If it work I will adjust the command for this kind of USB Media

Attaching command

Mount-MSDOS-Partition.tool.zip

image.png.797951c18329bd2ca8c0e7c5924cf9c0.png

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, kaoskinkae said:

perfect 

image.thumb.png.d47c26e637d42b0a24deebb36764b4bb.png

Thanks @kaoskinkae :D

it probably USB create from Windows Media creation tool ?

I will try to reproduce a usb tonight then adapt the command

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Well, this is kind of interesting....

So I have two installs on my Intel based beta testing machine.  One is Ventura and that install works normally.  I can use EFI Agent to load multiple EFI partitions and they all show up on my desktop. As many of you have noted with your B5 installs, the EFI partitions don't show up without some extra mounting work being done by some of the new tools referenced here on this thread.

But, on my M1 Mac, I am running the Sequoia 5.1 beta and just as a test, I loaded two working, bootable backups of Ventura and Sequoia B5 from my Intel beta testing machine onto the M1.  They both showed on my desktop, as I expected them to.  I then used my favorite older EFI utility, EFI Agent, to open the EFIs on both, and they showed up on my desktop, as I expected.

Hmmm......unsure as to why EFI mounting continues to work on my M1  machine normally running Sequoia 5.1, but not on my Sequoia B5 Intel based install.  Perhaps this issue is an anomoly, and Apple will fix this issue for Intel based machines with B6?

Edited by meg2014
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, meg2014 said:

Well, this is kind of interesting....

So I have two installs on my Intel based beta testing machine.  One is Ventura and that install works normally.  I can use EFI Agent to load multiple EFI partitions and they all show up on my desktop. As many of you have noted with your B5 installs, the EFI partitions don't show up without some extra mounting work being done by some of the new tools referenced here on this thread.

But, on my M1 Mac, I am running the Sequoia 5.1 beta and just as a test, I loaded two working, bootable backups of Ventura and Sequoia B5 from my Intel beta testing machine onto the M1.  They both showed on my desktop, as I expected them to.  I then used my favorite older EFI utility, EFI Agent, to open the EFIs on both, and they showed up on my desktop, as I expected.

Hmmm......unsure as to why EFI mounting continues to work on my M1  machine normally running Sequoia 5.1, but not on my Sequoia B5 Intel based install.  Perhaps this issue is an anomoly, and Apple will fix this issue for Intel based machines with B6?

I am glad someone came through with this Phenomenon, maybe as you suggested it could be a bug on Intel machines.

If that's the case, hopefully it will be fixed in the coming releases as one theory was voiced, maybe it's part of Apple's Security measures to protect the integrity of the EFI Files by limiting access.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, D-an-W said:

Updated to Beta 6 and as mentioned the EFI folder mounts with OCAT again.

Yes, you beat me to it. :D

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Upgrade from Sequoia Beta 5 -> Beta 6 proceeded without issues on my HackMini8,1.  Booting with OC 1.0.1.  Not using OCLP.  EFI mounts normally with no special/modified tools.  Also, this hack sleeps/wakes normally with Sonoma and all Sequoia Betas (so far).  No mods required.

Screenshot2024-08-12at1_59_14PM.png.859d82336c97c3c63ffc09944dd0dedf.png.a76a73e156e2c6044cef96b4aac95f77.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 9