[pre-release] macOS Sequoia

2,186 posts in this topic

Sequoia Beta 5 update proceeded unattended on my HackMini8,1.  Booting with Open Core 1.0.1.  Not using OCLP.  I'm dual-booting Sonoma and Sequoia, so I'm currently booting Sonoma when I need to revise my EFI.

Screenshot2024-08-06at5_59_10AM.png.83441155969876ed47923dbd4a20340a.png

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Max.1974 said:

@Irish_Man  

So sorry I fogott to said 

Need type this first

sudo -i 

Type on root#  your password and then 

mkdir /Volumes/efi 

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk4s1 /Volumes/efi (need put diskXsY when your disk is X and your partition is Y)

Captura de Tela 2024-08-05 às 18.29.42.png

I can access the EFI folder with terminal commands without running an application first.

• Max.1974
  • Donators
  • team_Donator.png

Thanks and important to said that its not works again until restart if you try use some app to open or close EFI.

I thinks that exist some solution when boot in recovery mode like csrutil authenticated-root clear or some better command

Works to me close all programs an run again command after type in terminal: 

KillAll Finder 

Then you can root again: 

sudo -i

Then run your original EFI with this commands 

mkdir /Volumes/efi 

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk4s1 /Volumes/efi 

disk4s1 is my original Nvme 

it works  thank you Max.1974 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Updated to beta 5.
  • OpenCore 1.0.1.
  • No OCLP.
  • iMac19,1.
  • No RestrictEvents.
  • Incremental update.

Issue: unable to see mounted EFI partition in the Finder (not only Desktop).

Edited by miliuco
Fix typo
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, miliuco said:
  • Updated to beta 5.
  • OpenCore 1.0.1.
  • No OCLP.
  • iMac19,1.
  • No RestrictEvents.
  • Incremental update.

With @Max.1974 solution in this thread, you can see internal EFI Partition in the Finder. if I well understand.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, eSaF said:

Mounting the EFI Partition is not the problem.

The Partition is mounted ok, it just does not appear on the Desktop as an icon like before.

Another peculiar thing I just found with this Beta along the same lines, USB Drives are also a no show unless it has a formatted EFI Partition.

I have several USB Storage Drives as well as various OS installers. The USB installers show up when plugged in but the others do not.

I know they are mounted because when removing them without the procedure, the usual popup 'Disk Not Ejected Properly' message is displayed.

I don't know if this is unique to my machine but I am not enjoying this Beta one bit so far which invites another stern Report to Tim Apple. :hysterical:

PS - I have to add although the formatted USB drives do show, the mounted partition of these drive also do not show on the Desk Top.

You are not alone. Same thing happens on my rig.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi @eSaF and all Hackintoshers

About EFI not showning up, I've found explanations beyond my competence on electiclight.co:

"Apple has been using FSKit as a Private Framework since it first appeared in macOS 14.0. It’s used in the open source of MSDOSFS" "The implementations of the exfat and msdos file systems on macOS have changed; these file systems are now provided by services running in user-space instead of by kernel extensions.”

"Reading between the lines, Apple is now transitioning secondary file systems away from kernel extensions, so they run in user space. First volunteer has been the MSDOS file system, which started to transition in macOS Ventura 13.0, and has completed its journey in Sonoma 14.0. Those wishing to implement support for other file systems can now do so, with limited features perhaps in macOS 14.0, and full support coming in Sequoia."

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hello!

Make the EFI mount with the terminal, only with it.

You can eject and mount it whenever you want

The EFI partition appears normally in the Finder and on the desktop

follow the commands below

diskutil list

sudo su -

mkdir /Volumes/efi

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi

Captura de Tela 2024-08-06 às 11.41.49.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, miliuco said:
  • Updated to beta 5.
  • OpenCore 1.0.1.
  • No OCLP.
  • iMac19,1.
  • No RestrictEvents.
  • Incremental update.

I have the same problem as @miliuco for the EFI partition mounting in Sequoia: not seeing it in Finder. The disks where macOS sonoma and sequoia are installed are showing up as synthesized when running diskutil in terminal, so the EFI is shown separately as some of you pointed out in earlier posts. First I have to figure out which EFI I need to mount in terminal.

Edited by jlrycm
  • Like 2

Now here is a golden opportunity for the clever coders out there to make an app implementing the Terminal commands (mentioned above) for

the 'Not so savvy Terminal user' plus it would simplify the process for me. :moil:

Thanks to our friend @olivermota for the clear Guide above.

I can mount and see the EFI Partition (hello old friend). :P

Screenshot 2024-08-06 at 17.53.51.png

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Craig Hazan said:

From my M1 AIR I'm being shown two updates!, Beta 5 and Beta 15.1.

Screenshot2024-08-05at3_25_02PM.png.82f96a4cb14eaadf7e45929654e714aa.pngScreenshot2024-08-05at3_24_21PM.png.8da82f69abb7ce3217e7ad791f0fca7f.png

Yes, we already known. 15.1 beta is still for Silicon. Not for Intel.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

This bug with the EFI (fat16) is also affecting fat32 partitions. I have a 2GB fat32 partition that I use to transfer random files between Windows and macOS and it's gone on the mac side with beta 5. It remained pinned on the side panel but it's not visible/mounted in /Volumes any more.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

Now here is a golden opportunity for the clever coders out there to make an app implementing the Terminal commands (mentioned above) for

the 'Not so savvy Terminal user' plus it would simplify the process for me. :moil:

Thanks to our friend @olivermota for the clear Guide above.

I can mount and see the EFI Partition (hello old friend). :P

First run chmod +x /path/to/file
Then just open it :)

mount_efi.zip

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

Sequoia Beta 5 installed without issues on my HackBookPro6,2.  Booting with Open Core 1.0.1.  Still not applying OCLP post-install patches for Nvidia or Wi-Fi.

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-08-06at9_49_15PM.png.46ac4f9d763cc7befd4139bbd7588728.png

• Like 2