HP EliteDesk 800 G4 / G5 Mini with RX560x dGPU (hackintosh)

254 posts in this topic

I saw the OC-Little-Translated link earlier but I hadn't had a chance to look at it closely until now. @cankiulascmnfye

It is a little funny that ACPI is being touted as the more native way to do this when Apple devices themselves use USB maps.

Look under /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBHostFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBHostPlatformProperties.kext/Contents/Info.plist and you will see a bunch of USB maps for various Macs that attach to various USB controllers (EHC1, EHC2, and XHC1 being the most common).
The devices that do have USB maps isn't very consistent, it seems to mostly be Ivy Bridge/Haswell in there. I did see the iMacPro1,1 in there though.

ACPI mapping is a totally valid way to do things, but I don't think it should be considered more "native" compared to a USB map.

• Like 1

@1Revenger1 I assume your are referring to the "Benefits of mapping USB ports via ACPI vs. using a USB port kext" of the guide, where the point of mapping USB ports via ACPI as being "more native" is made.I had chatgpt generate this section and it seems it has hallucinated in this regard. Thanks for the info. I will redact it later. But as far as running macOS on Wintel systems is concerned, I think mapping ports via ACPI is the best solution, if applicable. I have a ThinkPad T490 which has thunderbold via USB-C and mapping via ACPI doesn't really work because USB definitions are not limited to one file, so it turned ot to be more complicated, so I resorted to the kext metodod. Bur I had to redo this mapping several times in the last 2 years because of things changing in macOS which would not have been necessary if I could have managed to map the ports viia ACPI.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

@1Revenger1 I assume your are referring to the "Benefits of mapping USB ports via ACPI vs. using a USB port kext" of the guide, where the point of mapping USB ports via ACPI as being "more native" is made.I had chatgpt generate this section and it seems it has hallucinated in this regard. Thanks for the info. I will redact it later. But as far as running macOS on Wintel systems is concerned, I think mapping ports via ACPI is the best solution, if applicable. I have a ThinkPad T490 which has thunderbold via USB-C and mapping via ACPI doesn't really work because USB definitions are not limited to one file, so it turned ot to be more complicated, so I resorted to the kext metodod. Bur I had to redo this mapping several times in the last 2 years because of things changing in macOS which would not have been necessary if I could have managed to map the ports viia ACPI.

If you don't mind, can I ask what you had to change between macOS versions?

If it helps at all, I haven't ever had to change the USBPorts.kext mapping for this HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini because of macOS changes (and I first finalized this USBPorts.kext mapping for macOS Catalina).  I reviewed the history of my USBPorts.kext changes and they were driven by experimentation with Bluetooth, defining USB-TypeC connector types and adding port comments.  No USB port mapping changes were driven by changes in macOS.  I did not attempt installations of macOS earlier than Catalina, so I can't comment on any USB port map changes that might be required for earlier versions of macOS.  This hack boots macOS versions Catalina through Sequoia with the exact same USBPorts.kext.

EDIT: I also made the required USBPorts.kext changes when experimenting with different SMBIOS models, but it's not hard to incorporate multiple SMBIOS models in a single USBPorts.kext so that the single kext accommodates multiple SMBIOS models.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2