Mac OS X Tiger with OpenCore errors on boot in KVM

Lucss21a

16 posts in this topic

I am currently into booting up a Mac OS X Recovery DVD in a virtualization platform, and I decided to use something like KVM to do it. After configuring my OpenCore image based on the emulated CPU however, an errors pops up in the serial output, and the actual emulator screen freezes.

I don't know much about debugging it (Google's been bad for that a while now), and I don't know about alternative bootloaders that supports Mac OS X Tiger as minimum.

The Mac OS X Tiger disk image used in the screenshot is the one provided in the docs, tried other images to no avail. Booting from the actual disk image in VirtualBox 7 however shows a "still waiting for root device" message.

I'm looking into possible remedies or alternative bootloaders that supports Mac OS X Tiger.

299405796-8de17555-d62d-46ae-93e2-7f4447dd3729.png

• Like 1

It was Chameleon and early PC_EFI bootloader. If you can find them anywhere.

But I see on the screen a problem with APIC  was solving by patching tiger's kexts (AppleAPIC) and kernel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slice said:

It was Chameleon and early PC_EFI bootloader. If you can find them anywhere.

But I see on the screen a problem with APIC  was solving by patching tiger's kexts (AppleAPIC) and kernel.

Can you please elaborate with AppleAPIC?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Slice said:

https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/AppleAPIC/tree/AppleAPIC-10

See if it is compatible with your environment.

I don't have a clue from that GitHub repo, except a few bits of source code that I probably couldn't compile as I don't have any other Macs that could run Xcode. 

> was solving by patching tiger's kexts (AppleAPIC) and kernel.

I'm curious about this part, as you mentioned Kexts and patches. 

In the meantime, I'm looking into the Chameleon bootloader.

Sorry but you should be developer by yourself. If you want a real help then install real system on real computer.

Or lead your development.

3 hours ago, Derty said:

you can try virtualbox for linux

https://github.com/ranma42/TigerOnVBox

if you search there are a couple of blogs on installing tiger in virtualbox

I did try VirtualBox but it's stuck in "still waiting for root device". I tried different hard drive controllers but still stuck.

I'm looking into KVM mainly due to increased performance and it's native to the platform.

6 hours ago, Slice said:

Sorry but you should be developer by yourself. If you want a real help then install real system on real computer.

Or lead your development.

Alr, that's fair I guess. I don't have enough storage for installing the modern ones, and I have barely gotten around some code.

Edited by Lucss21a
Removed bits.

8 hours ago, Lucss21a said:

Alr, that's fair I guess. I don't have enough storage for installing the modern ones, and I have barely gotten around some code.

What are the reasons for macOS getting stuck at 'still waiting for root device'?

Have you configured your BIOS correctly for macOS? Is AHCI enabled, and is the USB stick connected to the first port in the BIOS? It's been a long time since Tiger and similar versions; issues with the system getting stuck at 'still waiting for root device' have been discussed extensively. Google it, and you'll find solutions. Alternatively, you could follow Slice's advice, as newer macOS versions tend to run more smoothly and are compatible with newer hardware. By the way, you haven't mentioned your hardware configuration in your signature, and you also haven't specified the installed version of macOS Tiger.

good luck!

Edit:

...... and by the way, it is easier to boot with older bootloaders such as Chameleon or Enoch Bootloader since there are plenty of references from users here on insanelymac.com or elsewhere. With Clover & co., it will be more challenging to find installation examples, just my opinion.

16 hours ago, spakk said:

What are the reasons for macOS getting stuck at 'still waiting for root device'?

Have you configured your BIOS correctly for macOS? Is AHCI enabled, and is the USB stick connected to the first port in the BIOS? It's been a long time since Tiger and similar versions; issues with the system getting stuck at 'still waiting for root device' have been discussed extensively. Google it, and you'll find solutions. Alternatively, you could follow Slice's advice, as newer macOS versions tend to run more smoothly and are compatible with newer hardware. By the way, you haven't mentioned your hardware configuration in your signature, and you also haven't specified the installed version of macOS Tiger.

good luck!

Edit:

...... and by the way, it is easier to boot with older bootloaders such as Chameleon or Enoch Bootloader since there are plenty of references from users here on insanelymac.com or elsewhere. With Clover & co., it will be more challenging to find installation examples, just my opinion.

1. I'm dealing with a dmg. And yes, I tried AHCI.

2. I have a semi-experiment with comparing Intel and PPC. I tried 10.5 and it worked.

3. Might check that out.

As for the config:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3340

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti

RAM: 8GB

Emulated KVM CPU: Intel Penryn CPU

Edited by Lucss21a
Add sys config

16 minutes ago, Lucss21a said:

1. I'm dealing with a dmg. And yes, I tried AHCI.

2. I have a semi-experiment with comparing Intel and PPC. I tried 10.5 and it worked.

3. Might check that out.

As for the config:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3340

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti

RAM: 8GB

Emulated KVM CPU: Intel Penryn CPU

For such hardware the best system will be ElCapitan 10.11.x

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Slice said:

I'm thinking about it. I'm just looking into experimenting with my KVM setups. If I had the storage space, sure. But I also dual boot other operating systems, and I do this stuff (putting Mac OS X in a VM) for fun essentially. 

My original goal with this was to get it working so that I could check out the comparison between 10.4.6-10 Intel (I have 10.4.10 Intel) and PPC out of boredom. I was going for a minimally modified approach (to the image itself), so the differences are fair.

And if the time allows it, I have a Yosemite disk image lying around, as the disk images for macOS are getting larger (I have a collection of other operating systems for no reason than to ease boredom).

But I'll look into making my own hack some day, as I always see some impressive stuff from the Apple guys.

11 hours ago, Slice said:

10 hours ago, Lucss21a said:

I'm thinking about it. I'm just looking into experimenting with my KVM setups. If I had the storage space, sure. But I also dual boot other operating systems, and I do this stuff (putting Mac OS X in a VM) for fun essentially. 

My original goal with this was to get it working so that I could check out the comparison between 10.4.6-10 Intel (I have 10.4.10 Intel) and PPC out of boredom. I was going for a minimally modified approach (to the image itself), so the differences are fair.

And if the time allows it, I have a Yosemite disk image lying around, as the disk images for macOS are getting larger (I have a collection of other operating systems for no reason than to ease boredom).

But I'll look into making my own hack some day, as I always see some impressive stuff from the Apple guys.

My research yielded the following information about your hardware: The Intel Core i5-3340 has an Intel® HD Graphics 2500 IGPU and should still run with macOS Mojave 10.14.6. The Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti will be brought to life by installing the additional Nvidia WebDriver. However, these WebDriver are only supported up to macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. If you want to try Catalina or use the latest macOS versions, you will need to look for macOS-compatible graphics cards as a replacement for your GT710, but of course El Capitan is also okay.

One possible case. I have fake GTX750Ti. Carefully study shows it is Fermi card like reflashed 550Ti.

It works fine in ElCapitan and very glitchy in Sierra no matter of Web-drivers.

So, hope it is not your case.

Clover is able to determine family of nVidia card. Just start Clover and press F2. Preboot.log will contain real information about the hardware.