macOS Sonoma Wireless Issues Discussion.

SavageAUS
791 posts in this topic

@jsl2000 Your IOName patch is not working.  Without your config.plist, there's no way to determine what you are doing wrong.  My suggestion would be to carefully review the steps here and figure out what's going on.

IOName not being spoofed

Spoiler

18218437_Screenshot2023-08-07at9_09_59AM.png.8310729ff3608ce68a3c81d974ffcf88.png

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@jsl2000 Your IOName patch is not working.  Without your config.plist, there's no way to determine what you are doing wrong.  My suggestion would be to carefully review the steps here and figure out what's going on.

IOName not being spoofed

Hide contents

18218437_Screenshot2023-08-07at9_09_59AM.png.8310729ff3608ce68a3c81d974ffcf88.png

Do you mean if it's correctly spoof it should be "pci14e4,4353" instead of "pci14e4,43b1" ?

• Like 1

@jsl2000 Sorry to be redundant, but it would be best to read the comments and follow the links here.  Pay specific attention to this for a better understanding of the Wi-Fi spoofing.

I'm sure that you are not alone in being confused, since this Wi-Fi patching has been a somewhat painful process with a few false starts and failed attempts.  That is why I posted this summary.  Trust me, it will take you much less time to read and understand the summary and the associated links within the summary than it did to figure this out.  Forgive me for not wanting to spend more time explaining, but I'm burnt out and need to go recharge.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 4

While spoofing a compatible IOName is useful to trigger OpenCore Patcher's Wifi Patching, the spoof currently only covers "Modern" chipsets (Broadcom BCM94350, BCM94360, BCM43602, BCM94331 and BCM943224).

But based on the fact that the patcher supports two methods of Wifi Patching: Modern and Legacy its most likely that both patches work differently for both. And if this is the case, "Modern Wifi" Patches wouldn't re-enable cards with Atheros chipsets and cards with Broadcom BCM94322 and BCM94328 that are categorized as "Legacy". If patching Wifi worked the same for all cards, why would there would be any reason to have two categories of Wifi Patches after all?

So at least 2 more spoofs (one for Atheros and another one for legacy broadcom) might be required to enable both patching methods on Wintel machines. A look into the source code should bring clarity.

If no spoof for patching Legacy Cards is found, modifying OpenCore patcher's config to auto-enable patching Legacy cards and building it from source is still a viable option.

Edited by cankiulascmnfye
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

If no spoof for patching Legacy Cards is found, modifying OpenCore patcher's config to auto-enable patching Legacy cards and building it from source is still a viable option.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I have modified this post here to reference modern and legacy (including a link to this post for legacy_wifi patching).

49 minutes ago, miliuco said:

News in OCLP only for hackintoshes (not implemented yet). No complaints on my part. On the contrary.
Add a warning when launching application on Hackintosh systems

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/pull/1090

Well, they are basically saying: "we are patching files in the system disk which no longer makes it vanilla. So therefore it should at least be a real Mac so we can't be striked via DMCA takedowns, if hackintosh users do what they do" :D Because this is the actual real jurisidical reason why it's real Macs only with legit installs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shhhhh... don't tell real Mac users who patch with OCLP that their Macs are now hacks. 😂

Something maybe even more humorous that's in the news today: The video conferencing software company "Zoom" is asking employees to return to the office after suffering from reduced employee productivity resulting from working at home (via Zoom). 😂

Edited by deeveedee
  • Haha 7

21 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

Shhhhh... don't tell real Mac users who patch with OCLP that their Macs are now hacks. 😂

Something maybe even more humorous that's in the news today: The video conferencing software company "Zoom" is asking employees to return to the office after suffering from reduced employee productivity resulting from working at home (via Zoom). 😂

I guess the Apple's legacy Macs will be called Apple Hackintosh form now on (instead of Apple Macintosh) :hysterical:

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, D-an-W said:

Am I right in thinking with SMBIOS MacPro7,1 OCLP won't work by default?

Anyone with the Fenvi FV-T919 working could I possibly see your EFI folder so I can check what I have done looks correct please?

No, it will work. It will only give the Modern Wireless patching option which is for the fenvi T919 or if it finds anything else that requires to be patched.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't realize that, if I try to apply the OCLP modern wireless root patch with AMFIPass.kext enabled and no amfi=0x80 boot arg, OCLP GUI shows no available patches.

If I try to patch with the OCLP recommended settings for Sonoma beta branch (you know, AMFI disabled by amfi=0x80 boot arg and no AMFIPass.kext), OCLP GUI offers the Modern Wireless patch as expected.

Once the patch is applied, I can use the system with both configurations, AMFIPass.kext or amfi=0x80, with working wifi.

Anyone want to try to see if this also happens? Reverting root patch and checking OCLP GUI with both configurations to see if you have Modern Wireless patch on both or only one of them.

1 hour ago, miliuco said:

I didn't realize that, if I try to apply the OCLP modern wireless root patch with AMFIPass.kext enabled and no amfi=0x80 boot arg, OCLP GUI shows no available patches.

If I try to patch with the OCLP recommended settings for Sonoma beta branch (you know, AMFI disabled by amfi=0x80 boot arg and no AMFIPass.kext), OCLP GUI offers the Modern Wireless patch as expected.

Once the patch is applied, I can use the system with both configurations, AMFIPass.kext or amfi=0x80, with working wifi.

Anyone want to try to see if this also happens? Reverting root patch and checking OCLP GUI with both configurations to see if you have Modern Wireless patch on both or only one of them.

Bro - I hope I interpreted your request accurately and I have placed here as much info as I can gather.

Hope it helps.

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 23.57.29.png

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 00.00.23.png

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 00.02.09.png

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 00.02.26.png

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 00.04.23.png

12 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@jsl2000 Sorry to be redundant, but it would be best to read the comments and follow the links here.  Pay specific attention to this for a better understanding of the Wi-Fi spoofing.

I'm sure that you are not alone in being confused, since this Wi-Fi patching has been a somewhat painful process with a few false starts and failed attempts.  That is why I posted this summary.  Trust me, it will take you much less time to read and understand the summary and the associated links within the summary than it did to figure this out.  Forgive me for not wanting to spend more time explaining, but I'm burnt out and need to go recharge.

Thanks again for your kind explanation & instruction.

Although I have carefully followed your instruction step by step, still unable to spoof my BCM4352 working.

One of the reason maybe I need -wegbeta to enable AMD GPU and -alcbeta to enable HDMI audio from this GPU.

So I'll tolerate current inconvenience to apply modified OCLP to enable my BCM4352's WiFi working at Sonoma beta.

• Like 1

Since I recently acquired an iMac11,3, it has an Atheros card (AR928X) which would require Legacy patching in macOS Sonnoma. Since I can't install anything newer than Big Sur {it would require a  GPU upgrade) I can't test it.

So, below is the data which can be used for creating a spoof for triggering Legacy Wifi Patching on Atheros cards! See Screenshot. Draw your own conplusions.

IOName: pci168c,2a

Compatible: <"pci106b,8f", "pci168c,2a", "pciclass,028000", "ARPT">

1047371907_Bildschirmfoto2023-08-08um08_26_41.thumb.png.5982cf9398513d9062fcfa73329fb576.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, miliuco said:

Disabling AMFI is a requirement for applying Root Patches. All AMFIPass does is telling apps that want AMFI (Camera, Microphone, Conferencing apps) to be enabled that it is enabled and everything is fine (even though it's not) so access to cameras, mics and other peripherals that handle sensible data can be granted which wouldn't be possible otherwise.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

I can't install anything newer than Big Sur because I would need a GPU upgrade and I don't think that's a reasonable investment for this machine.

Is it possible to upgrade the GPU on these old Macs?

If it was, I would definitely be browsing eBay in mind to purchase a Mac museum piece and play around with it but I guess the cost would be prohibitive in the end.

@eSaF Definitely. But unless you get a card that comes from an iMac, it requires flashing a compatible vBIOS and – depending on the card – a different heatsink which maybe has to be modified. It's not a cheap upgrade since iMac don't use PCIe cards but Laptop cards instead. Send me a PM if you wnat to know more sinc ethis is off-topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

Disabling AMFI is a requirement for applying Root Patches. All AMFIPass does is telling apps that want AMFI (Camera, Microphone, Conferencing apps) to be enabled that it is enabled and everything is fine (even though it's not) so access to cameras, mics and other peripherals that handle sensible data can be granted which wouldn't be possible otherwise.

This is not completely accurate.  I routinely install macOS and apply OCLP root patches with AMFI and Library Validation fully enabled (no amfi=0x80 and no AMFI or LV kernel patches).  I have AMFI fully enabled in Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma (I boot them with the same OC EFI) and I never disable AMFI.

EDIT: My hack has Nvidia Tesla (non-metal) graphics which always required AMFI to be disabled prior to the availability of AmfiPass.kext.

EDIT2: Since I have only tested OCLP with my HackBookPro6,2 (SMBIOS MBP6,2, Nvidia Tesla non-metal graphics), it is very possible that the AMFI behavior varies with SMBIOS model and with graphics.  I am not certain.  It may be that we cannot make any blanket statements about whether AMFI must or must not be disabled and that each user will need to test on their own hack.

EDIT3: It should also be noted that the use AmfiPass.kext 1.3.1 to eliminate the need for disabling AMFI is only possible with versions of OCLP after 0.6.7.  It was not until the release version of OCLP 0.6.8 (or the AMFIPass Beta branch of OCLP) that AmfiPass.kext could be used to eliminate the need for disabling AMFI.  AmfiPass.kext 1.3.1 is required for Big Sur, since AmfiPass.kext 1.3.0 had a bug that prevented proper operation in Big Sur.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, jsl2000 said:

Thanks again for your kind explanation & instruction.

Although I have carefully followed your instruction step by step, still unable to spoof my BCM4352 working.

One of the reason maybe I need -wegbeta to enable AMD GPU and -alcbeta to enable HDMI audio from this GPU.

So I'll tolerate current inconvenience to apply modified OCLP to enable my BCM4352's WiFi working at Sonoma beta.

I'm glad that the modified OCLP is an option for you.  It is not possible to diagnose the problem without your EFI.

5 hours ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

Since I recently acquired an iMac11,3, it has an Atheros card (AR928X) which would require Legacy patching. I can't install anything newer than Big Sur because I would need a GPU upgrade and I don't think that's a reasonable investment for this machine.

So, below is the data for creating a spof for triggering Legacy Wifi Patching!

IOName: pci168c,2a

Comaptible: <"pci106b,8f", "pci168c,2a", "pciclass,028000", "ARPT">

Nice.  Did you need to change Compatible?  Can you post the DeviceProperties or SSDT patch that you used to spoof your legacy Wi-Fi?

Edited by deeveedee

2 hours ago, deeveedee said:

we cannot make any blanket statements about whether AMFI must or must not be disabled and that each user will need to test on their own hack.

Agreed. If I may add, for me, nightly build of OCLP 0.6.8 for Sonoma wasn't able to root patch with AmfiPass.kext 1.3.1 with warning "AMFI is enabled" and AMFI had to be disabled. but no problem on iMac19,1 with OCLP 0.6.9

• Like 1

This is not completely accurate.  I routinely install macOS and apply OCLP root patches with AMFI and Library Validation fully enabled (no amfi=0x80 and no AMFI or LV kernel patches).  I have AMFI fully enabled in Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma (I boot them with the same OC EFI) and I never disable AMFI.

EDIT: My hack has Nvidia Tesla (non-metal) graphics which always required AMFI to be disabled prior to the availability of AmfiPass.kext.

EDIT2: Since I have only tested OCLP with my HackBookPro6,2 (SMBIOS MBP6,2, Nvidia Tesla non-metal graphics), it is very possible that the AMFI behavior varies with SMBIOS model and with graphics.  I am not certain.  It may be that we cannot make any blanket statements about whether AMFI must or must not be disabled and that each user will need to test on their own hack.

EDIT3: It should also be noted that the use AmfiPass.kext 1.3.1 to eliminate the need for disabling AMFI is only possible with versions of OCLP after 0.6.7.  It was not until the release version of OCLP 0.6.8 (or the AMFIPass Beta branch of OCLP) that AmfiPass.kext could be used to eliminate the need for disabling AMFI.  AmfiPass.kext 1.3.1 is required for Big Sur, since AmfiPass.kext 1.3.0 had a bug that prevented proper operation in Big Sur.

Actually it's not inaccurate. It depends on the patches you have to apply! There are patches that require to disable AMFI. And if you don't believe me, read the offical OCLP documentation! The three use-cases you discribe may not fall into this category – that doesn't make my explanations inaccurate!

Example: Installing drivers for NVIDIA  Kepler cards in macOS Monterey and newer with OCLP requires, SecureBootModel, SIP and AMFI to be disabled (and stay disabled) in order to apply the patches and boot. And that's where AMFIPass comes into play – it allows to still use Apps that require granting access to Mics and Cameras afterwads that would require AMFI to be enabled otherwsie. AmfiPass as is a KEXT and as such works completely independent of OCLP! It seems to me you haven't fully grasped what its purpose actually is amd what it does. And: AMFIPass is not a requirement for Big Sur on Hackintoshes per se. I don't know where where you got that info from but it's wrong

Nice.  Did you need to change Compatible?  Can you post the DeviceProperties or SSDT patch that you used to spoof your legacy Wi-Fi?

You missed my point. I am using Big Sur on this iMac  – it doesn't require WiFi patching. But it would require patching in Sonoma. And the data I posted can be used for spoofing a compatible Atheros Card to trigger the Legacy Wifi patching option in OCLP. That's all. What users do with that info is up to them.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Where do we obtain AMFIPass.kext?

There are various ways to obtain the kext.  I use OCLP to "Build and Install Open Core" and then I extract the components I need (like AmfiPass.kext) from the OC EFI that is generated by OCLP.  

1. Open OCLP.  If OCLP does not detect a real Mac (as in my case, where OCLP detects "Latitude E6410"), the option to "Build and Install Open Core" will be grayed out.
    Spoiler

1959651276_Screenshot2023-08-08at10_24_23AM.png.87aae47880988e5aa8f876e41483d8e0.png

2. If "Build and Install Open Core" is grayed out, click "Settings" at the bottom of the OCLP Home Screen.  Choose a valid Target Model from the "Host Model" pull-down menu.  If your SMBIOS model isn't available in the pull-down menu (very likely if you have a model that is still currently supported by Apple), choose the latest model that most closely approximates your chosen SMBIOS model.  
    Spoiler

1462597737_Screenshot2023-08-08at10_27_59AM.png.9930fa19cf31326957bfddc37caea451.png

3.  Click the "Security" tab and uncheck "Disable AMFI" and uncheck "Disable Library Validation".  Look through the Extras, Advanced, Security, SMBIOS, Root Patching and App tabs to see ways that OCLP patching and the OCLP-generated EFI can be customized.  Read more here to learn more about OCLP.
    Spoiler

641265358_Screenshot2023-08-08at10_39_46AM.png.77758b658ef7d71eaeaec36d3eac5b76.png

4. Click "Return" (at the bottom of the screen) to return to the OCLP home screen
  5. Click "Build and Install Open Core" to generate an OC EFI.  Do NOT use this OCLP-generated EFI on a hackintosh.
  6. When OCLP has finished generating an OC EFI, click "View Build Log" (thanks to @cankiulascmnfye for this shortcut)
    Spoiler

1734782462_Screenshot2023-08-08at10_36_22AM.png.47a8475844a81cf5b577105450eeee04.png

7. Paste the OC build path to the OC EFI into finder and explore the OCLP-generated OC EFI.   Do NOT use this OCLP-generated EFI on a hackintosh.
    Spoiler

2146335026_Screenshot2023-08-08at10_42_03AM.png.ea825656135396d03e7471a7387291b9.png

8. You'll find AMFiPass.kext in the OC/Kexts folder.   Do NOT use this OCLP-generated EFI on a hackintosh.
  9. You can examine the OCLP-generated config.plist to confirm kext injection orders, kext patches and boot-args that you may require for your hack.
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3