macOS Sonoma Wireless Issues Discussion.

SavageAUS
791 posts in this topic

[mention=1083558]SavageAUS[/mention] That should work - as long as you need to apply OCLP patches for Sonoma Wi-Fi.  For testing, it will be easiest for you to apply the ACPI patch via DeviceProperties as shown here and here.  It would be ideal if you have unpatched Sonoma on one APFS volume and another earlier macOS version (e.g., Big Sur, Monterey or Ventura) on another APFS volume, so that you can test Wi-Fi operation in the other macOS versions after applying the patch.

On that machine I have the same as in the other thread I think. Ventura and Sonoma half a disk each. Will that work?
I can’t look and test tonight as laptop is in where kids are sleeping but tomorrow I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who are following these instructions to create an ACPI patch for their Brcm Wi-Fi (so that OCLP detects their Wi-Fi for patching), I would prefer that you try to do this yourself before pinging me for help.  Jump to my "EDIT2" below and start by trying to create the patch yourself.  If you need help, just ask.  

Note that you should follow my directions below to create your own ACPI patch if my patch for BCM94352HMB here and here does not work for you.

==================================================================

@D-an-W I don't have one for testing, so I haven't investigated the problem.  Is it a similar problem in that OCLP 0.6.9 does not detect Wi-Fi for patching?  If that is the case, please provide me with the following and I will provide you with a proposed solution:

• Your SMBIOS model (you should pick an SMBIOS model that most closely approximates that of a real Mac with your CPU)
  • Your IOReg dump (use IORegistry Explorer 2.1)
  • Your original (unpatched) DSDT
  • Your OC config.plist
  • Your Wi-Fi device path (you can use Hackintool as I explain here)

EDIT: If you are concerned about applying ACPI patches that affect other OSes, then you should use the SSDT with _OSI("Darwin") condition.

EDIT2: If you would prefer to do this yourself (that would be my preference), do the following:

1. In the OCLP Supported Wi-Fi Devices Table below, find the device id for the Wi-Fi device closest to your Wi-Fi device.  OCLP supports these Wi-Fi devices at the time of this post (you may be able to spoof any device in this table, regardless of your actual Wi-Fi device, but I haven't tested enough to know):

Table: OCLP Supported Wi-Fi Devices
    Spoiler

1434832106_Screenshot2023-08-05at11_29_45AM.png.342c7657d6e396aa665f3118e3f846e3.png

2. Convert the device id that you chose in Step 1 to the Wi-Fi IOName that you will be spoofing (e.g., 0x4353 becomes "pci14e4,4353")
  3. Find your Wi-Fi device path (you can use Hackintool as I have described)
  4. Create your DeviceProperty: Add your spoofed IOName to the DeviceProperties in your OC config.plist using the IOName that you found in Step 2 and using the Wi-Fi device path that you found in Step 3
  5. Test your ACPI patch by using OCLP 0.6.9 (official Dortania 0.6.9 nightly build and not a modified OCLP build) to apply post-install patches to a virgin (unpatched) installation of Sonoma
  6. Test your ACPI patch by booting earlier versions of macOS (e.g., Ventura) with your new EFI (the EFI that includes your Wi-Fi spoofing).  Make sure that Wi-Fi continues to work normally.
  7. If you need to boot Windows with OC and this ACPI patch affects Windows Wi-Fi, create your ACPI patch with an SSDT as I have described here
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

@D-an-W I was editing my previous post while you were reading it.  You may want to read it again.  I think you can do this yourself if you follow my directions (See EDIT2) but if you can't, just ask for help.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Вентура и Сонома по полдиска

I can't speak for everyone - but everything works for me.

Снимок экрана 2023-08-05 в 21.40.11.png

Снимок экрана 2023-08-05 в 21.41.01.png

Снимок экрана 2023-08-05 в 21.47.31.png

Снимок экрана 2023-08-05 в 21.49.55.png

Снимок экрана 2023-08-05 в 22.00.09.png

Edited by ANTIKO
  • Like 2

I haven't actually 

41 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@D-an-W I was editing my previous post while you were reading it.  You may want to read it again.  I think you can do this yourself if you follow my directions (See EDIT2) but if you can't, just ask for help.

Thank you, I will have a read and try and figure it out.

1 hour ago, deeveedee said:

For those who are following these instructions to create an ACPI patch for their Brcm Wi-Fi (so that OCLP detects their Wi-Fi for patching), I would prefer that you try to do this yourself before pinging me for help.  Jump to my "EDIT2" below and start by trying to create the patch yourself.  If you need help, just ask.  

Note that you should follow my directions below to create your own ACPI patch if my patch for BCM94352HMB here and here does not work for you.

==================================================================

@D-an-W I don't have one for testing, so I haven't investigated the problem.  Is it a similar problem in that OCLP 0.6.9 does not detect Wi-Fi for patching?  If that is the case, please provide me with the following and I will provide you with a proposed solution:

• Your SMBIOS model (you should pick an SMBIOS model that most closely approximates that of a real Mac with your CPU)
  • Your IOReg dump (use IORegistry Explorer 2.1)
  • Your original (unpatched) DSDT
  • Your OC config.plist
  • Your Wi-Fi device path (you can use Hackintool as I explain here)

EDIT: If you are concerned about applying ACPI patches that affect other OSes, then you should use the SSDT with _OSI("Darwin") condition.

EDIT2: If you would prefer to do this yourself (that would be my preference), do the following:

1. Find the IOReg dump for a real Mac that matches your SMBIOS model (assuming you have properly chosen your SMBIOS model to provide the closest match to a real Mac).  Those who are "spoofing" a Mac Model that does not match their hack specifications may have problems with this.  If you're unable to find the IOReg for a real Mac or the SMBIOS Model that you are emulating does not include Wi-Fi, it may be sufficient to find the device name for the closest Wi-Fi device supported by OCLP.  OCLP supports these Wi-Fi devices at the time of this post:
      Reveal hidden contents

1434832106_Screenshot2023-08-05at11_29_45AM.png.342c7657d6e396aa665f3118e3f846e3.png

2. Examine the IOReg dump of a real Mac to find the Wi-Fi device and note the Wi-Fi IOName (analogous to the "pci14e4,4353" IOName that I found for a real MBP6,2).  If you can't find the IOReg from a real Mac, try using an IOName of the OCLP supported Wi-Fi devices that I posted in Step 1.
  3. Find your Wi-Fi device path (you can use Hackintool as I have described)
  4. Create your DeviceProperty: modify your config.plist using the IOName that you found in Step 2 and using the Wi-Fi device path that you found in Step 3
  5. Test your ACPI patch by using OCLP 0.6.9 (official Dortania 0.6.9 nightly build and not a modified OCLP build) to apply post-install patches to a virgin (unpatched) installation of Sonoma
  6. Test your ACPI patch by booting earlier versions of macOS (e.g., Ventura) with your new EFI (the EFI that includes your Wi-Fi spoofing).  Make sure that Wi-Fi continues to work normally.
  7. If you need to boot Windows with OC and this ACPI patch affects Windows Wi-Fi, create your ACPI patch with an SSDT as I have described here

@deeveedee I have the device property defined since Sierra but OCLP 0.6.9 sonoma developer didn’t work for me. That’s why I modified the .py file in order to force OCLP to patch my BRCM4352 devices, but I confirm that the device property declaration does not affect windows. So, you can boot both safely

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, eSaF said:

You guys are making giant strides specially @deeveedee. The IM Community is alive and well after the feeling of Doom and Gloom.

I would even like to have a BCM 94352HMB to be able to participate in the test with @deeveedee 😀 It is certainly a great find.

But you and I are already served with our Fenvi. The oldest of the 2 that I have is almost 3 years old and has worked without a single failure.

• Like 3

@miliuco - Absolutely my Friend!!!! I felt a kind of despair for the ones with the BCM 94352HMB that were missing out on Sonoma connectivity, but due to the persistence of Giants like @deeveedee this feature and all it entails is now possible.

This is the kind of dogged activity and never say never mind-set that makes me feel privileged to be part of this community. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@acquarius13 There was no previous reason to patch IOName for using BCM94352 with macOS. Why did you patch IOName before Sonoma?  If you can post the ACPI patch you are using, I'd be curious to look at it.

EDIT: Especially no reason to be patching IOName as 'pci14e4,4353' before Sonoma.  You may want to check your ACPI patches again.

Thank you for confirming proper operation with Wi-Fi.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, eSaF said:

@miliuco - Absolutely my Friend!!!! I felt a kind of despair for the ones with the BCM 94352HMB that were missing out on Sonoma connectivity, but due to the persistence of Giants like @deeveedee this feature and all it entails is now possible.

This is the kind of dogged activity and never say never mind-set that makes me feel privileged to be part of this community. 

I still use the Fenvi for Bluetooth but does it now work on WiFi ok too with OCLP (Been away and must have missed something!)? 

8 minutes ago, D-an-W said:

I still use the Fenvi for Bluetooth but does it now work on WiFi ok too with OCLP (Been away and must have missed something!)? 

Yes, just as before is the short answer although still in the experimental stage with OCLP.

Edited by eSaF
  • Thanks 1

I was doing a bit more testing of the Wi-Fi spoofing and I am finding that we can spoof any device in the OCLP supported devices table to trick OCLP into applying post-install patches.

OCLP supported Wi-Fi Devices

Spoiler

1397586599_Screenshot2023-08-05at11_29_45AM.png.2f4668aca9a989d02b3f4059a604df77.png

I initially suspected that there might be some dependency between the spoofed Wi-Fi device and the SMBIOS model, but I'm not finding that this matters.  For those who are attempting to create their own Wi-Fi spoofing patch, I have simplified my instructions here by removing the need to use the actual Wi-Fi device in the real Mac most closely approximating your hack.

This Wi-Fi spoofing works, because no matter what IOName we spoof, it seems that this IOName is only needed to trick OCLP into applying the Wi-Fi post-install patches.  When macOS detects Wi-Fi, it seems to ignore the IOName and instead uses the actual device name.  For example, I am spoofing IOName "pci14e4,43a3" which OCLP detects for Wi-Fi post-install patches.  When macOS detects my Wi-Fi, it detects it as "pci14e4,43b1" (the actual device name).

IOReg dump for spoofed Wi-Fi IOName: "pci14e4,43a3"

Spoiler

1386025426_Screenshot2023-08-05at5_55_03PM.png.4ede208ccc5c6e5e7560028ecab628e5.png.357423d74d4edfaab48460f308fd3602.png

IOName Matched: "pci14e4,43b1" (the actual Wi-Fi device) (even though IOName is spoofed as pci14e4,43a3 to trick OCLP)

Spoiler

1728010119_Screenshot2023-08-05at8_22_00PM.png.431d176905c9e4e701c03572beb439fe.png

EDIT: Note that Wi-Fi spoofing works on my HackBookPro6,2 when I spoof Wi-Fi IOName as "pci14e4,43a3" and when I spoof Wi-Fi IOName as "pci14e4,4353".  Again, the Wi-Fi device that I spoof does not seem to matter as long at it is in the OCLP supported Wi-Fi devices table.

EDIT2: I have not exhaustively tested spoofing of every Wi-Fi device in the OCLP supported Wi-Fi table.  If someone tests and finds that there is some difference when spoofing different Wi-Fi devices, please report your test results.  Thank you.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, D-an-W said:

See here

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/pull/1077#issuecomment-1646934494

(go to Hackintosh Notes)

Most of Fenvi owners have back our wifi after doing as OCLP developer says.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@miliuco I am doing all of my macOS installs and OCLP patching with AMFI / Library Validation fully enabled (no amfi=0x80 boot-arg and no AMFI / LV kernel patches) as long as I inject kext AMFIPass.kext 1.3.1.  It seems that the OCLP developer instructions are still recommending AMFI to be disabled for Wi-Fi patching.  Have you tried using AMFIPass.kext 1.3.1 with AMFI and LV fully enabled?  It's working very well for me and I have not found a reason to disable AMFI anymore.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

@deeveedee

Interesting question. I haven't tested it yet because I wasn't sure if the sonoma branch includes the changes from the amfipass branch.
But after reading your post I saw that 2 weeks ago @dhinakg added AMFIPass so it is possible that both branches are merged into the 0.6.9 sonoma nightly builds.
I'll try it tomorrow and tell you the result. Good night!

• Like 1

@deeveedee I am doing a fresh Sonoma beta 4 install now on my machine with the bcm4352 as it was previously patched when I had the bcm94360 chip in it, so wasn’t virgin and even though OCLP said I needed the modern wireless patches it did not activate my chip.
Before patching I will confirm my spoofing was correct.

23 hours ago, deeveedee said:

Have you tried using AMFIPass.kext 1.3.1 with AMFI and LV fully enabled?

I tried to use this solution - Mac OS loading stops approximately in the middle of the progress bar. I did not continue to conduct experiments, returned everything as it was.

See my lesson learned about clean macOS installs vs. upgrades here.  It might help others.  I have found this need for VMM kernel patches to be true for both Sonoma and Ventura when performing a clean install.  EDIT: These VMM kernel patches may only be required for older SMBIOS models that have no official support in macOS (e.g., my hack with SMBIOS MBP6,2 has long been dropped from official support by Apple).

Also, whenever macOS gets stuck in "the middle of the progress bar," enable verbose boot to see where it's stuck.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

See my lesson learned about clean macOS installs vs. upgrades here.  It might help others.  I have found this need for VMM kernel patches to be true for both Sonoma and Ventura when performing a clean install.  

Also, whenever macOS gets stuck in "the middle of the progress bar," enable verbose boot to see where it's stuck.

I always have verbose boot on.

18 hours ago, miliuco said:

I would even like to have a BCM 94352HMB to be able to participate in the test ...

... and I wish I had a BCM 94360 to help figure out why some are unable to get Wi-Fi working in Sonoma.

• Haha 1