macOS Sonoma Wireless Issues Discussion.

SavageAUS
791 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, jsl2000 said:

Thanks, but follow your instruction still got this same error during patching.

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 7.03.55 PM.png

Run "Build Binary.command" before building the App so the Universal Binaries are present. I did this as well but I am not sure if this is a requirement.

Edited by cankiulascmnfye
  • Like 1

This is great!  Will be much better when the OCLP GUI offers modern wifi as a patching option.  Use boot-arg -brcmfxbeta instead of -lilubetaall if you want to modify the behavior of only the AirportBrcmFixup.kext instead of all Acidanthera Lilu-based kexts.

@acquarius13 This is a great find.  Thank you.  Much easier than patching ACPI.  Unfortunately for the ACPI patching solution, it can only be used to patch OCLP (since the ACPI patches affect the behavior of Wi-Fi and can't be used during normal operation of macOS).

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, acquarius13 said:

@jsl2000 delete the files you are working on, download again the sonoma-developer branch and start again to build your OCLP. Rember to modify the .py file (textedit is sufficient to edit it) prior to build OCLP 

Thanks, but follow this still got the same error again !

48 minutes ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

Run "Build Binary.command" before building the App so the Universal Binaries are present. I did this as well but I am not sure if this is a requirement.

Thanks, but follow this still got the same error again !

@jsl2000  This is the content of my Source Code folder. Besides the I just ran Build-Binary and OpenCore-Patcher-Gui.command. I also noticed that I added AutoPkgInstaller.kext to my EFI folder for testing. But I don't know if this makes any difference. I don't really know how that kext works. It's in the payloads folder. It was on by accident.

2035328417_Bildschirmfoto2023-08-02um14_30_42.png.f32309eb3c40f1b4e27f6008b1a0162c.png

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

@jsl2000  This is the ontent of my Source Code folder. Besides the I just uilt it and then ran it.

2035328417_Bildschirmfoto2023-08-02um14_30_42.png.f32309eb3c40f1b4e27f6008b1a0162c.png

Can you share your payloads.dmg or payloads/Universal-Binaries folder to me because which was missing in mine ?

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 9.26.16 PM.png

Edited by jsl2000

Keep in mind that our experiences with building from OCLP source may vary and differ from each other's experiences, because we're retrieving source from a changing repository that is in active development.  There may be times when a recent commit has broken something and other times where a recent commit changes the behavior of something.  

Be sure to read the commits before blindly retrieving source.

@jsl2000 If you can't get it to work, I can't fix it for you since I am not trained in programming. From the look of things you are missing the Universal Binaries! So you either have to build those or wait until the next revision of the official patcher is released or try soemething else! Sorry.

[Solved]

After midified my OC's config.plist either SSDT-ARPT.aml or Add DeviceProperties method both enable BCM4352 adapter properly at Sonoma now !

Correct way to enable BCM4352 in my Z77 hackintosh:

1. Boot with either Config-SSDT-ARPT.plist or Config-DeviceProperties.plist

2. Apply OCLP 0.6.9 of this version:

3. Reboot after successful patch of Modern Wireless

4. Working with BCM4352 adapter now.

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 9.53.50 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 10.04.28 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 10.04.56 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 10.05.24 AM.png

SSDT-ARPT.aml

config-SSDT-ARPT.plist config-DeviceProperties.plist

Edited by jsl2000
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jsl2000 said:

At present the only way to enable BCM4352 in my Z77 hackintosh are:

1. Insert BCM4360 adapter at PCIe x1 and got correct PCIe from Hackintool

2. Boot with SSDT-ARPT-BCM4360.aml

3. Apply OCLP 0.6.9 of this version:

4. Reboot after successful patch of Modern Wireless and make sure BCM4360 adapter working without issues

5. Shutdown and replaced BCM4360 with BCM4352 adapter in another PCIe x1 slot

6. Boot with SSDT-ARPT.aml which's compatible with BCM4352 adapter (checked by Hackintool)

7. Working again with BCM4352 adapter now.

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 9.53.50 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 10.04.28 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 10.04.56 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 10.05.24 AM.png

SSDT-ARPT-BCM4360.aml 240 B · 1 download SSDT-ARPT.aml 240 B · 0 downloads config.plist 52.85 kB · 0 downloads

config-BCM4352.plist 53.02 kB · 0 downloads

I am in no way experienced with Hackintosh but you Kernal-Add looks very busy 

Edited by surenmunoo

On 8/2/2023 at 1:07 PM, jsl2000 said:

Thanks, but follow your instruction still got this same error during patching.

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 7.03.55 PM.png

I might have found what this issue was about. I tried to patch my Z240 workstation (I have a DW 1560 here too) and I found the same error because of a proper python installation (probably I had an older installation) but, mostly, I didn't have the PATH (environmental variable) properly set. Try to install again python, then repeat the passages written in the source.md page of OCLP-sonoma-development. At a certain point, the Terminal should tell you that python is installed but PATH isn't correctly configured (I don't remember which directory has to be added to PATH to make it work). In any case, after properly setting the PATH and restarting the terminal, you should be able to build your own copy of OCLP

• Like 1

@jsl2000 Glad you at least have a working solution and am pleased to see that you have mastered Wi-Fi ACPI patching!  Well done.  Here are a few things I observed/questioned:

• You have rtcfx_exclude=00-FF paired with RTCMemoryFixup.kext.  My experience is that excluding the entire 00-FF range breaks power management (maybe other things).  It would be better for you to change RTC memory length to 0x2 (the way CLOVER fixes RTC) and to eliminate RTCMemoryFixup.
  • What is your AirportBrcmFixup Min/MaxKernel strategy.  I don't understand the Min/Max limits you are imposing
    Spoiler

738753216_Screenshot2023-08-03at10_26_58AM.png.d10dd4e543d8c437ad3d78d65e7a2afb.png

• Is OpcodeEmulator.kext helping you with anything?
  • You shouldn't need these kernel patches anymore after you use AMFIPass.kext 1.3.1 (with boot-arg -amfipassbeta for Sonoma)
    Spoiler

159464774_Screenshot2023-08-03at10_33_07AM.png.bdc13269e602e0460337b5c73a429845.png

• You shouldn't need boot-arg -lilubetaall since you're using -brcmfxbeta
  • After applying OCLP post-install patches, I must remove Wi-Fi ACPI patches for proper operation of Wi-Fi.  I only use Wi-Fi spoofing to apply the patches and not during normal operation.  I keep one config.plist with Wi-Fi spoofing (to be used when applying OCLP post-install patches) and one config.plist without Wi-Fi spoofing (for normal operation).  This is one thing that I miss from CLOVER - the ability to select config.plist at boot time would be a great feature in Open Core.
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, acquarius13 said:

I might have found what this issue was about. I tried to patch my Z240 workstation (I have a DW 1560 here too) and I found the same error because of a proper python installation (probably I had an older installation) but, mostly, I didn't have the PATH (environmental variable) properly set.

I didn't have to set PATH.  I followed the build instructions here after installing Python3 as follows:

• Install Python 3.10.11 (April 5, 2023) from here
  • Use pip3 and python3 commands when building OCLP 
  • If Python complains about missing dependencies, google them and install missing dependencies
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

For those how have a TP-Link Archer T9 the patcher activates this card as well since it's basically a BCM4360 but because it has no Bluetooth AirDrop and Continuity won't work unless you have a compatible Bluetooth dongle. (mine didn't work though)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

For those how have a TP-Link Archer T9 the patcher activates this card as well since it's basically a BCM4360 but because it has no Bluetooth AirDrop and Continuity won't work unless you have a compatible Bluetooth dongle. (mine didn't work though)

Cyber are you think that a combo intel like AX211 with a dongle Bluetooth compatible with macOs will possible work Airdrop? 

I ordered just for test an dongle from Amazon, like photo KNIVO USB BT.

I want understand mechanism of Airdrop if only will work with Broadcom native or not. 

First im think use with intel combo, bit I have Fenvi combo too. 

Thanks again!!!

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

@Max.1974

I'm not sure if that works with the latest version of macOS because apple limited the list of compatible devices as you know.

But from what I know BCM BT/WiFi combos will work natively only if the device ID is supported by apple otherwise there's chance that they won't work or they work partially. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Max.1974 said:

I ordered just for test an dongle from Amazon, like photo KNIVO USB BT.

Max I think it's an old bluetooth dongle (Mac OS 10.3.9 aka Panther) and the chances for it to work in macOS Monterey and above are slim, you might get it to work with BluetoolFixUp but I'm not sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 horas atrás, Cyberdevs disse:

Max, eu acho que é um dongle bluetooth antigo (Mac OS 10.3.9 aka Panther) e as chances de funcionar no macOS Monterey e acima são pequenas, você pode fazê-lo funcionar com o BluetoolFixUp, mas não tenho certeza.

Thanks a lot @Cyberdevs my friend, you always inform everything right !!! 

• Like 2

Looking for volunteer with BCM 94352HMB and Open Core ACPI patching experience to test a Sonoma Wi-Fi solution with me.  Please PM me if you feel that you are interested and qualified...

I have discovered what I think is something significant for BCM 94352HMB Wi-Fi users: We can patch ACPI in a way that allows OCLP to detect and patch Sonoma Wi-Fi without requiring any custom code development and without requiring any switching between config.plists for patching and running.  I have found that on my HackBookPro6,2 (SMBIOS MBP6,2) with BCM 94352HMB, I can permanently apply the attached ACPI patch (changing only the IOName value) without renaming PXSX->ARPT and without any other changes, ACPI or otherwise.  

With this simple change, the official Dortania build of OCLP 0.6.9 (no custom coding / building required) discovers and patches Sonoma Wi-Fi for BCM 94352HMB AND Wi-Fi works fine in Ventura and Sonoma.  This simple ACPI patch does not affect operation of Wi-Fi, so the simple ACPI patch can remain for patching and running macOS - it never needs to be removed.

If someone wants to test this with me, I would be happy to help you via PM.  You must have ACPI patching experience, so that we don't have to spend any time teaching you how to patch ACPI.  After we confirm that it is working as expected, I would post instructions for general use.

If you want to test this on your own (not working with me via PM), that would be great, too.  I am currently running with the attached ACPI patch.  With this simple patch, Wi-Fi works perfectly during normal operation in Ventura and Sonoma and OCLP 0.6.9 discovers and patches BCM 94352 Wi-Fi for Sonoma without an OCLP code changes.

EDIT: This patch can also be implemented with OC DeviceProperties as shown here and here.  You can use OC DeviceProperties or the SSDT patch, whichever you prefer.

EDIT2: I am now running with the OC DeviceProperty and it is working fine.  I started with the SSDT, because I have found that sometimes, OC DeviceProperties cannot overwrite existing properties.  In this case, the DeviceProperty is working and for most, will be much easier to implement.

SSDT-ARPT.aml.zip

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 7

I don't want to bother Dortania OCLP developers by asking any of them to confirm my finding here (that we only need to patch IOName in order to trick OCLP into patching our unsupported Wi-Fi).  If someone has an inside connection that allows them to ask an OCLP developer to confirm this finding, that would be very helpful.  Thank you.

EDIT: I grepped OCLP Source and see that IONameMatch is a common way for OCLP patcher to identify properties, so this ACPI patching techique for spoofing Wi-Fi might be correct.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

Congrats @deeveedee! It just work. But I don't use SSDT, for me is simpler using device properties in config.plist.

You beat me to the post!  I was just about to post my working solution with OC Device Property.  Thank you for confirming!

DeviceProperties

Spoiler

1936175578_Screenshot2023-08-04at7_52_40PM.png.1236548b9e2c659647dc1ce5e987a9a6.png

EDIT: I am multi-booting BigSur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma to make sure that this ACPI patch does not interfere with normal Wi-Fi operation.  This is important, so that the patch can be applied permanently (we won't have to use the ACPI patch for OCLP post-install patches and then remove the patch for normal operation).

I think I see why this patch is ok for normal operation.  MacOS must use another Wi-Fi property (not IOName) to perform IOName matching:

IOReg: IONameMatch (macOS Monterey)

Spoiler

1883879116_ScreenShot2023-08-04at9_18_40PM.png.baa6691ba573f58484bee3aae16646fe.png

Even though my ACPI patch is changing Wi-Fi IOName to pci14e4,4353, Airport_BrcmNIC matches the actual device name of the Wi-Fi card (pci14e4,43b1 in my case).

This was either a brilliant move by the OCLP Devs or just lucky for us.

EDIT2: If someone is able to test this patch when booting Windows with OC, that would be helpful. An advantage of using SSDT over DeviceProperties is that the SSDT patch can be conditional on 'Darwin'

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

@SavageAUS That should work - as long as you need to apply OCLP patches for Sonoma Wi-Fi.  For testing, it will be easiest for you to apply the ACPI patch via DeviceProperties as shown here and here.  It would be ideal if you have unpatched Sonoma on one APFS volume and another earlier macOS version (e.g., Big Sur, Monterey or Ventura) on another APFS volume, so that you can test Wi-Fi operation in the other macOS versions after applying the patch.

Test as follows:

• Modify your EFI so that your config.plist includes the Wi-Fi DeviceProperty to spoof IOName.  See instructions for creating DeviceProperty below.
  • Boot from your modified EFI and perform a clean installation of Sonoma (if you already have a clean installation of Sonoma without OCLP patches, that's fine, too)
  • Apply OCLP 0.6.9 post-install patches to your virgin Sonoma installation (use the official Dortania OCLP 0.6.9 nightly build from here)
  • Reboot and test Sonoma Wi-Fi
  • Reboot and test Wi-Fi in an earlier version of macOS (to confirm that the Wi-Fi IOName spoofing does not alter Wi-Fi behavior)

You can insert the DeviceProperty into your OC config.plist using your favorite plist editor (I use Xcode shown here) or OCAT like Stefanalmare here.

EDIT: If anyone is able to test this Wi-Fi IOName spoofing when booting Windows with OC EFI, I'd like to know if the patch is compatible with Windows.  If the ACPI patch interferes with Windows Wi-Fi, I have attached an SSDT that conditionally spoofs Wi-Fi only when running macOS.  I think the attached SSDT is the correct way to conditionally apply the patch in Method _DSM.  Your SSDT device path may be different from mine (_SB_.PCI0.RP02.PXSX), so you may need to edit the SSDT to work in your hack.

EDIT2: The DeviceProperty patch requires proper specification of the Wi-Fi device path.  There are multiple ways to obtain this device path.  I use Hackintool as follows:

• Open Hackintool
  • Click the PCIe tab
  • Find your Wi-Fi device (Device Name "BCM 4352...")
  • Right-click on the Wi-Fi device listing and select "Copy Device Path" (my device path is PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0))
  • Use this Device Path you copied in Hackintool to create your DeviceProperty in your OC config.plist.  My DeviceProperties (viewed/edited with Xcode are as shown here:
    Spoiler

1242178872_Screenshot2023-08-05at9_02_17AM.png.2f744e7e2e32a242f28e4272344fc024.png

Note that a DeviceProperty preceded by # is a comment

SSDT-ARPT.aml.zip

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 4