macOS Sonoma Wireless Issues Discussion.

SavageAUS
791 posts in this topic

@kinhhoang161 You have a bcm943602CDP.  Why are you trying to use my patches for BCM 94352HMB?  I don't have a bcm943602CDP to test.  I thought others in this thread with 94360 report that they have used OCLP to patch without my ACPI patches for BCM 94352HMB.  No?

Edited by deeveedee

@kinhhoang161 I've tried to be clear that my approach is specifically for my Dell Latitude E6410 laptop with a BCM94352HMB Wi-Fi card.  If you don't have my PC and my Wi-Fi card, then it is important to use the work that I posted as an example that will help you to find your own solution.

I apologize for not having more to offer, but I thought that others had already succeeded at patching BCM94360, but that no one had patched BCM94352 (at least I did not find any posted solutions for BCM94352 before I found my own approach). 

EDIT: By the way... there are many who wonder why the OCLP Devs don't offer support for hackintoshes.  Think about how challenging it is for the Devs to produce working patching solutions for the real Macs and then look at the confusion in this thread.  Each PC has a different ACPI and there is no guarantee that individuals have properly applied ACPI patches to their hacks.  It would be virtually impossible for the OCLP Devs to support hacks.

Edited by deeveedee

2 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@jsl2000 Your IOReg dump appears to show that your ARPT device is named ARPT (not PXSX), so it seems to me that you do not need to rename PXSX -> ARPT (and the PXSX->ARPT rename that you copied from me and inserted into your config.plist is not doing anything, because you do not have ARPT device at PCI0.RP02).

The IOService path of your ARPT device (reported by IOReg Explorer) is 

446202645_Screenshot2023-08-01at8_19_29AM.png.931a7b975f388f09bf4fae1b326878f2.png

The IOPath Base for your ARPT device (verified by examining your DSDT) is

\_SB.PCI0.RP08.PXSX.BR29

The full ACPI path of your ARPT device is

\_SB.PCI0.RP08.PXSX.BR29.ARPT

Therefore, your SSDT-ARPT needs to patch the device at full ACPI path \_SB.PCI0.RP08.PXSX.BR29.ARPT.

See attached.

Replace your SSDT-ARPT in your EFI with the attached version, reboot and examine your IOReg to verify that the spoofing is applied.

SSDT-ARPT.aml.zip 667 B · 7 downloads

If this SSDT-ARPT.aml is correct, should I get LEGACY WIRELESS patching by unmodified OCLP ?

What should I get by modified OCLP ? 

• Like 1

If my proposed SSDT-ARPT is correct, you will see the spoofed device name for ARPT in your IORegistry Explorer.  If your experience is like mine, after you have properly spoofed your Wi-Fi to appear like a real Mac ARPT, the unmodified OCLP will detect your Wi-Fi for Wireless patching.  As I showed here, I think OCLP should show Modern Wireless.  I think that legacy wifi is for devices older than BCM 94352HMB, but I'm not sure.

You asked me to post my customized OCLP.  How were you planning to use it?

EDIT: With my ACPI patches, I use the unmodified OCLP (the nightly build version directly downloaded from here).

Edited by deeveedee

@jsl2000 Here you say that you are able to apply OCLP patches using your BCM94360 and then you can switch to BCM94352 for working Wi-Fi.  I think it would help others if you post your step-by-step patching solution for BCM94360 (including exactly which version of OCLP you used to apply your Wi-Fi patches).

I am sorry that I'm not able to be more help with ACPI patching solution for your hack.  I don't know how to provide more examples and more explanation than what I have provided.  Maybe this requires more of a basic understanding of ACPI than I thought.

EDIT: My guess here may not have been that far from the truth about what's going on with OCLP and the difference between each individual's unique experiences with OCLP.  Some of the differences that we're seeing are probably related to SMBIOS.

Edited by deeveedee

I was able to make my Dell DW1560 (BCM4352) wireless working by forcing the modern wireless patch (not the legacy one) as reported various times by @deeveedee during OCLP sonoma development build (I was lucky because I had an ethernet connection to use while building OCLP).

EFI must be correctly set, then apply the OCLP patches and, at the reboot, I had to unlink my wifi connection from macOS and reconnect again.

Then, I was finally able to have wireless connection!

Next step: installing the new sonoma beta 4 (2nd public beta). I hope to report it soon

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, acquarius13 said:

I was able to make my Dell DW1560 (BCM4352) wireless working by forcing the modern wireless patch (not the legacy one) as reported various times by @deeveedee 

What did you modify to force the modern wireless patch?

I modified the sys_patch_detect.py, setting self.modern_wifi to True.

Unfortunately, the patch is no more able to work with latest Sonoma beta 4...

Without -lilubetaall as boot-args, AirportBrcmFixup is not able to work. Adding the boot arg, I gained my wifi back!

But bluetooth seems to have issues (also on previous Sonoma beta 4), because I'm having issues with usb mapping..don't know why but I will investigate

Edited by acquarius13
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, acquarius13 said:

I modified the sys_patch_detect.py, setting self.modern_wifi to True.

Unfortunately, the patch is no more able to work with latest Sonoma beta 4...

Without -lilubetaall as boot-args, AirportBrcmFixup is not able to work. Adding the boot arg, I gained my wifi back!

But bluetooth seems to have issues (also on previous Sonoma beta 4), because I'm having issues with usb mapping..don't know why but I will investigate

Hmmm... I searched for modern and was not able to find modern_wifi anywhere in OCLP source.  I must be losing it.

You can also use -brcmfxbeta for working AirportBrcmFixup.kext in Sonoma.

Edited by deeveedee

@acquarius13 Yes, that's the file I'm attempting to modify.  I must be getting the wrong version of OCLP source.  Thank you.

@acquarius13 Is the OCLP repo for Sonoma public?  I was using the source mentioned here, but clearly that is the wrong source.  The ACPI patches are working for me, but given how complicated they have been for others to implement, the OCLP mods to force Wi-Fi patching would be much better.  Well done!

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, acquarius13 said:

The sys_patch_detect.py file is located in the Sonoma-development folder --> resources --> sys_patch

I downloaded the Sonoma-development branch from GitHub, unzipped it and modified the .py file before building OCLP from the source

I think your method should work for most of us. Can you share your edited OCLP via PM to me for testing ?

@acquarius13 I'm both excited by and frustrated by your statement that there is another OCLP 0.6.9 Sonoma source repository that is not the source mentioned here.  I used the command "git clone https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher" as specified in the OCLP build instructions to retrieve the source, but as I now know, this gets the wrong OCLP version (even though it is version 0.6.9).  I'm frustrated because, as you can imagine, one of the first things I searched for in the source were the words "modern" and "wifi" only to find that the source makes no mention of "modern" "wifi".  The only mention of "wifi" in this source is legacy_wifi (which is why I initially thought setting self.legacy_wifi = True was correct for forcing Wi-Fi patching.  It's also why I abandoned modifying OCLP source (not getting it to work) and pursued an ACPI patching solution.  Knowing that there is another version of source with variable modern_wifi makes sense and is good, but is very frustrating.  A LOT of time wasted.

At this time, I am still only able to apply modern_wifi patches to my hack with the nightly build of OCLP 0.6.9 here (after spoofing Wi-Fi with ACPI patches).

I'm looking forward to learning about how you discovered the other OCLP source for 0.6.9 and hopefully the link to this other OCLP repo.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

Dear @deeveedee @jsl2000 and @cankiulascmnfye,

I try to reply to all of you on the same message, so please don't shoot at me :D

I used the sonoma-develpment branch to build the OCLP: on OCLP main github page, switch from main to sonoma-develpoment branch (red circle). Then, click on the code button (green circle) and download the entire branch as a zip file. Unzip it and start to work inside of that, searching for the sys_patch_detect.py (you can open using a plain text editor), set the self.modern_wifi variable to True and then start to build the project.image.thumb.png.9df3477b8da693ea1f4ef3bd275f32a6.png

To build the project itself, read the source.md file of the repository branch (orange circle) and apply all those steps to have a working sonoma version of OCLP that should patch also your systems. Yimage.thumb.png.b184e50dbc64219235d3afcecc921962.png

Don't forget to set properly your EFIs, as stated and mentioned by @deeveedee https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/pull/1077#issuecomment-1646934494

Hopefully, you should be able to patch your modern wifi and to have it working. By the way, do not apply both legacy and modern patches: some days ago I tried it and it didn't work for me. I had to revert all the patches and to apply only the modern wifi set of patches. To be precise, I made my tests on my Latitude E7450, which had to be patched in any cases since it is a Broadwell laptop.

Don't know if this can be useful to everyone: sometimes OCLP seems not to work properly. This should be because of a missing internet connection. So perform your tests with an ethernet connection, possibly.

I hope to had been clear enough for everyone.

Have a nice day

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, acquarius13 said:

I was able to make my Dell DW1560 (BCM4352) wireless working by forcing the modern wireless patch (not the legacy one) as reported various times by @deeveedee during OCLP sonoma development build (I was lucky because I had an ethernet connection to use while building OCLP).

EFI must be correctly set, then apply the OCLP patches and, at the reboot, I had to unlink my wifi connection from macOS and reconnect again.

Then, I was finally able to have wireless connection!

Next step: installing the new sonoma beta 4 (2nd public beta). I hope to report it soon

I also had to build OCLP over cable (Ethernet) internet in Sonoma, with the commands reported in recent posts.
But after building Night Build 0.6.9 it worked perfect without further tweaks. No flaws. And I disable the AirportBrcmFixup.kext (I even remove it) because the patcher is injected into the DSDT. As opposed to some posts guessing something else. I no longer use BlueToolFixup for Ventura and only for Sonoma. And I have without them the Native HID Proxy again, no need for tweaks and Patchers.

@jsl2000

Thanks. I knew the part about the Sonoma Branch. But the terminal commands need to be adjusted to take the different name of the branch into account.

Prerequisites

Building OCLP

• Dowlonad the Source of the Sonoma Development Branch and unzip it
  • Enter in Terminal:
    cd ~/Downloads/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher-sonoma-development
    pip3 install -r requirements.txt
  • Wait until the downloads and installations for the pip3 stuff has finished
  • In /Downloads/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher-sonoma-development/resources/sys_patch/sys_patch_detect.py, change the following (open with IDLE or TextEdit or Visual Studio Code or Xcode) (Thanks @acquarius13)
    • For Modern WiFi Cards (= Broadcom BCM94350, BCM94360, BCM43602, BCM94331, BCM943224): set self.modern_wifi  = True
    • For Legacy WiFI Cards (= Atheros Chipsets used in legacy Macs, Broadcom BCM94322): self.legacy_wifi  = True

• Enabled either Modern or Legacy, not both!!! It will break WiFi.
  • Next, build the Patcher App (Double-Click on OpenCore-Patcher-GUI.command). The GUI will pop-up automatically.
  • Click on "Post-Install Root Patch". You should be greeted by this (Graphics patches vary based on used CPU):

403798316_Bildschirmfoto2023-08-02um11_12_24.png.7b944c8bdf5e5a1ed396b7a93fe391a9.png

Patching… In my case, it's for a BCM94352HMB (Modern)

366682814_Bildschirmfoto2023-08-02um11_17_12.png.ad94650eb54ff5401f2320bb89b8c24b.png

And…after reebooting… it's WORKING:…

1841481226_Bildschirmfoto2023-08-02um11_19_25.thumb.png.42f9df96caa57f9bcfeb1a4d596c5735.png

NO additional Binary Renames or SSDTs required!

NOTE: This workaround will probably no longer be required once the official Patcher for Sonoma is released and the option for root patching WiFi funtionality can either be enabled in the GUI or the detection for used cards in Wintel machines works better. After all this Patcher was written for real Macs after all.

Edited by cankiulascmnfye
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, acquarius13 said:

@cankiulascmnfye I took for granted that you had to change the working directory in terminal to work inside the sonoma-development directory but this is one of the reason why I posted a sort of "to do list" instead of attaching something to be used "as it is"

I understand. But the instructions in the SOURCE.md refer to the Master branch. So people who would just copy and paste these command (which they do all the time) would just build the "regular" Patcher. That's why I posted the modified commands.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, acquarius13 said:

@cankiulascmnfye I took for granted that you had to change the working directory in terminal to work inside the sonoma-development directory but this is one of the reason why I posted a sort of "to do list" instead of attaching something to be used "as it is"

Thanks after following your instruction I can patch BCM4352 with Modern Wireless, but it got such an error and quit automatically.

How can I fix it ?

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 4.54.10 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 5.12.38 PM.png

Edited by jsl2000

@jsl2000 Follow my instructions above. It works. https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/357087-macos-sonoma-wireless-issues-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=2809431

Thanks to @acquarius13 for the tip on how to enable modern/legacy Wifi patching in the source code. I guess the GUI needs to be updated in future releases so people can just switch it on or off from the Settings menu.

Edited by cankiulascmnfye
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

@jsl2000 Follow my instructions above. It works. https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/357087-macos-sonoma-wireless-issues-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=2809431

Thanks to @acquarius13 for the tip on how to enable modern/legacy Wifi patching in the source code. I guess the GUI needs to be updated in future releases so people can just switch it on or off from the Settings menu.

Thanks, but follow your instruction still got this same error during patching.

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 7.03.55 PM.png