[pre-release] macOS Sonoma

1,844 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Cyberdevs said:

You don't need to change the boot-args, just revert the root patches and the incremental update will still show up.

Instead of reverting root patches, isn't easier to just enable the VMM Flag in Kernel->Emulate->Cpuid1Data and reboot to show incremental update:Screenshot2023-08-22at21_02_15.thumb.png.739a80b3f6f38a78c55956497440130d.png

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, eSaF said:

I agree, worth a try yes. Anything to make updates easier. :thumbsup_anim:

Certainly worked for me in the past on Monterey.

Once update completes, just turn it OFF as there's a potential ~ 5% performance drop due to power management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@MacNB  @Cyberdevs @eSaF

Tried 2 different ways:

• RestrictEvents + revpatch=sbvmm as in latest update
  • VMM Flag in Kernel->Emulate->Cpuid1Data

Both ways give to me kern.hv_vmm_present=1 (so both are working as expected). But both settings give to me an update size > 12GB.

/Users/yo > sysctl kern.hv_vmm_present
kern.hv_vmm_present: 1

Only way to get incremental size (1.54GB) is reverting OCLP root patch, as said by @Cyberdevs  @eSaF  and others.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, miliuco said:

Maybe this time the beta 6 update is intentionally full size or I can't find the way to show it as only incremental size.

Initially it showed up for me as full size but after I reverted the patch and boot-arg then rebooted, the incremental update was offered as I reported earlier.

21 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

It doesn't seem to be working on Sonoma

Oh no! I was hoping this would be a quick fix solution also @miliuco seems to have the same problem with the suggestion. :(

• Like 3

@eSaF

It is not a big drawback, the difference in time between downloading full size or incremental size is very small, in fact the longest period of time is while "Preparing update", once already downloaded. 

Anyway, we get the update one way or another 🙂

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

@MacNB

I'll investigate further later and see if I did something wrong or why I don't get the incremental update with your suggestion.

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 1.45.01 PM.png 

Ok so it appears that there's more check under the hood than just VMM & SMBios.

With my Monterey, I got incremental updates by just setting VMM but I had no root patches as I did not need any on that system.

So from your results, Root patches do indeed need to be removed first. Thx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

@MacNB

I'll investigate further later and see if I did something wrong or why I don't get the incremental update with your suggestion.

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 1.45.01 PM.png 

I am not sure and could be wrong but I think that VMM flag was replaced by the VMM patch? Which now can be replaced by RestrictEvents.kext and sbvmm boot flag to get OTA updates. Thanks to MacNB, I've used that VMM flag in Big Sur after seeing the post by MacNB some time ago. It worked well on Big Sur with no root patches and got the small incremental updates. But for me as well, on a root patched system, using that VMM flag does offer OTA updates, but with full size app unless the root patches are reverted. So maybe to get the small incremental update, we would still need to revert root patches?

• Like 2

@miliuco

Well, in my case the download size does actually matter because I have to download the updates on several computers and when you sum them up it amounts to a longer time for getting them updated so I really need the incremental updates instead of the full installer update.

So until we find a way to get the updates without reverting the patches I'm happy with reverting them and get the incremental updates.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

So until we find a way to get the updates without reverting the patches I'm happy with reverting them and get the incremental updates.

Yes I stand with you on this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCustomac said:

I am not sure and could be wrong but I think that VMM flag was replaced by the VMM patch? Which now can be replaced by RestrictEvents.kext and sbvmm boot flag to get OTA updates. Thanks to MacNB, I've used that VMM flag in Big Sur after seeing the post by MacNB some time ago. It worked well on Big Sur with no root patches and got the small incremental updates. But for me as well, on a root patched system, using that VMM flag does offer OTA updates, but with full size app unless the root patches are reverted. So maybe to get the small incremental update, we would still need to revert root patches?

The reason for the full installer updates instead on the incremental updates on a patched system is because the APFS seal is broken after the patches are applied, so reverting the patches will seal back the APFS snapshot hence the incremental updates will be available.

When you don't need to install the root patches on OSes like Big Sur or Monterey the seal will stay intact and the VMM flags might have been working but in Sonoma it does not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@MacNB  @Cyberdevs @eSaF

Tried 2 different ways:

• RestrictEvents + revpatch=sbvmm as in latest update
  • VMM Flag in Kernel->Emulate->Cpuid1Data

Both ways give to me kern.hv_vmm_present=1 (so both are working as expected). But both settings give to me an update size > 12GB.

/Users/yo > sysctl kern.hv_vmm_present

Only way to get incremental size is reverting OCLP root patch, as said by @Cyberdevs  @eSaF  and others.

revpatch=sbvmm does not work for me on my real rMBP10,1 currently still on Big Sur. It does not show me that Ventura is available as an Upgrade.

The kern.hv_vmm_present is set to 1:

MacNB@DG-MacBook-Pro ~ % sysctl kern.hv_vmm_present
MacNB@DG-MacBook-Pro ~ % 

But if I enable the VMM flag in Kernel->Emulate->Cpuid1Data, I am offered Ventura as an update.

Regarding Incremental updates, yes it seems that Root patches do indeed have to be removed first.

And yes even with the fast Broadband, the download time is negligible compared to the long time it takes to "Prepare" the update.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

The reason for the full installer updates instead on the incremental updates on a patched system is because the APFS seal is broken after the patches are applied, so reverting the patches will seal back the APFS snapshot hence the incremental updates will be available.

When you don't need to install the root patches on OSes like Big Sur or Monterey the seal will stay intact and the VMM flags might have been working but in Sonoma it does not.

Thx. I thought that the primary reason for using VMM flag is so that we can get the OTA updates on unsupported SMBIOS model and whether the root patches are applied or not is a different thing? If you can get the OTA updates(full or small in sizel) using the VMM flag on an unsupported SMBIOS, I would think it is still affective. Maybe I am wrong.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCustomac said:

Thx. I thought that the primary reason for using VMM flag is so that we can get the OTA updates on unsupported SMBIOS model and whether the root patches are applied or not is a different thing? If you can get the OTA updates(full or small in sizel) using the VMM flag on an unsupported SMBIOS, I would think it is still affective. Maybe I am wrong.

I'm not sure but I guess the RestrictEvents.kext and revpatch=sbvmm takes care of OTA updates now. I might be mistaking but the VMM flag tells the OS that it runs in a virtualization environment so OS offers the updates.

Up until now I never used VMM flag for any OS and I've been using OC for a quite long while now, I never had any issues incremental updates up until Sonoma with occasional issues with BlueToolFixup and USB Bluetooth dongles on macOS Monterey and later which was resolved when I switched to fenvi T919 which works OOB. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

@miliuco

Well, in my case the download size does actually matter because I have to download the updates on several computers and when you sum them up it amounts to a longer time for getting them updated...

Good point, those who are updating only one or two hacks have a different situation.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MacNB said:

revpatch=sbvmm does not work for me on my real rMBP10,1 currently still on Big Sur. It does not show me that Ventura is available as an Upgrade.

But if I enable the VMM flag in Kernel->Emulate->Cpuid1Data, I am offered Ventura as an update.

Maybe off-topic, but thank you, I got the exact same result testing on IM10,1. The SBVMM, nor the VMM kernel patches offer the updates to Ventura, only the VMM flag does. 

• Thanks 1

[mention=23030]miliuco[/mention]
Well, in my case the download size does actually matter because I have to download the updates on several computers and when you sum them up it amounts to a longer time for getting them updated so I really need the incremental updates instead of the full installer update.

Any reason not to put the full installer on a USB to use on different machines? That’s what I do or I put on my server to “download” to each machine after downloading it once from MIST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, MacNB said:

Instead of reverting root patches, isn't easier to just enable the VMM Flag in Kernel->Emulate->Cpuid1Data and reboot to show incremental update:Screenshot2023-08-22at21_02_15.thumb.png.739a80b3f6f38a78c55956497440130d.png

Question, So for machines that are Z690 and Z790 that need the below, will your recommendation's still make our machines boot? 

image.thumb.png.d1bf6e9161c1abf88e346dc572c4c861.png