[pre-release] macOS Sonoma

1,844 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

There are few reasons for an update to fail and one of the is the BluetoolFixup.kext being enabled during the update and another one is to booting from another EFI folder that isn't being used for the OS to boot from normally which loads a different APFS snapshot which results to fail while trying to install the update.

Neither applied to me, I use a Fenvi 919 without any kexts for it (Since I think I don't need them?). Ventura updated delta fine, but even trying to get Sonoma through software update in Ventura would fail. Time will tell.

7 hours ago, miliuco said:

I'll try carefully next beta, on this beta 4 I needed also reverting OCLP changes in config.plist to get the incremental package, revpatch=sbvmm gave to me the full package.

Anyway, it's ok, a few days ago I did not know when I would have (or even if I would have) Wi-Fi with the Fenvi so... 🙂

I use iMac Pro 1.1 and did not revert the OCLP patch to get the incremental update to beta 4 but do have revpatch=sbvmn

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Skyfallkavu said:

Neither applied to me, I use a Fenvi 919 without any kexts for it (Since I think I don't need them?). Ventura updated delta fine, but even trying to get Sonoma through software update in Ventura would fail. Time will tell.

That's unfortunate.

Which SMBIOS do you use? and what is the status of SecureBootModel in the config?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@Cyberdevs

I think that @Skyfallkavu has iMacPro1,1. Yes, SecureBootModel has to have a value other than Disabled to get Ventura, preferably j137 (iMacPro1,1) or j160 (MacPro7,1). But are beta updates enabled in Software Update?

Yes, exactly, That's why I'm asking about the SecureBootModel's value in config.plist

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 11:37 AM, mnfesq said:

I spent the entire day yesterday - 8 hours straight - configuring my Sonoma installation to run my Broadcom 4352 wifi card.  I used posts of several people as a guide but want to thank @deeveedee for posting his config.plist.  My biggest problem was using the correct (nightly) build of OLCP and the kexts needed for Sonoma wifi.  I also had to revise my SSDT-ARPT.aml because my wifi adapter is on RP06, not RP02, and I had to remove the subsystem ID in the SSDT I downloaded because I have a slightly different 4352 chipset.  I also copied some settings from the DSDT I use to the SSDT-ARPT but these were cosmetic changes only.  It did seem to matter in what order the new kexts were loaded so that took some experimenting for me.  Lastly, I updated to Beta 4 when I was done and once it booted, I received a pop-up from OLCP telling me that I needed to repatch my wifi adapter so I did, rebooted, and everything was functioning.  I am testing things still but the problems I had with AMFI disabled seem to be resolved by using the AMFIPass.kext and the boot-arg to use it on a beta system.  I am a bit concerned that my boot-args are looking like a short novel and I hope to go through them and see whether I can remove any of them.

Now, I have a question that has bothered me since I first installed Sonoma.  When I click my mouse button anywhere on the desktop, I get a grayish border around my display and I have no clue what feature causes that or what function it is supposed to serve.  Can someone please explain?  I find it to be a PITA.  Thanks.

I just came across this. I recently got macOS Sonoma installed on my Skylake Lenovo ThinkPad T460 laptop, and I was spending 8 hours also trying to get my DW1560 (which is a Broadcom 4352) WiFi card to work on it! A little PITA 4x more than Ventura last year haha. I'll send you a message but I would like to know further instructions on how did you do it!

I hope this isn't off topic.

I currently have Sonoma and Ventura on the same nVME drive and now that we SoNoWithWiFi I would like to blow away my Ventura install and use Sonoma as a daily driver.

However I do not wish to do a fresh install but as you will see in my screenshot Ventura is first on the disk.

My EFI is also on this drive.

Can I just boot into Sonomo and delete the Ventura partition and move Sonomo to the front then expand the whole drive?

Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 8.40.32 pm.png

1 minute ago, SavageAUS said:

I would like to blow away my Ventura install and use Sonoma as a daily driver.

Don't !!!!!!!!!!!!! - Much too early in Sonoma Beta releases to make such a move.

Personally I would keep using Ventura until the Official Release of Sonoma and just keep testing until then.

• Like 2

Don't !!!!!!!!!!!!! - Much too early in Sonoma Beta releases to make such a move.
Personally I would keep using Ventura until the Official Release of Sonoma and just keep testing until then.

Ok so in preparation for the transition what if I threw an SSD in. Can I move the Ventura install to that drive then move and resize the Sonoma install? I can have an nVME drive and an SSD in this dell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Ok so in preparation for the transition what if I threw an SSD in. Can I move the Ventura install to that drive then move and resize the Sonoma install? I can have an nVME drive and an SSD in this dell.

I dare say that is one solution but I must admit I have never had 2 OS's on one drive.

All of mine are on their respective Drives so I can't with any authority advise you on deleting one off the drive and then resizing to suit the other.

Hopefully someone else will give you better info on that score.

My setup as in the pic, much easier to handle by way of adding or eliminating.

Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 12.28.50.png

• Like 3

@eSaF and @SavageAUS ,

On my HackBookPro6,2 (laptop), I run multiple macOS versions on a single drive (each in its own APFS volume and all APFS volumes in a single container). I have a single EFI that boots all macOS version (which, in my case, requires some MinKernel and MaxKernel limits on kexts).  My second SSD in the laptop is for Time Machine.

On my HackMini8,1 (mini Desktop), I have two NVMe SSDS, each with multiple APFS volumes (each volume with a different installations of macOS).  I find it easiest to have a single EFI on one of the drives and I boot all macOS installations with the single EFI.  I have a third drive for TimeMachine.

If I need to experiment with a new macOS installation, I simply create a new APFS volume in an existing APFS container and perform my clean macOS install to the new volume.  I delete the APFS volume when I finish the experiment.

I don't run Windows or Linux on my hacks, but when I did run Windows, I would have Windows on a separate drive.  EDIT: And when I did run Windows on my hack, I did not boot Windows with OC EFI - I booted Windows from the BIOS selection menu.

EDIT: If I need to experiment with a new EFI, I always install the new EFI on a USB thumb drive and test the new EFI by booting from the thumb drive.  I find that having multiple EFIs installed permanently can lead to confusion.  For me, having a single permanently installed EFI eliminates confusion and eliminates the possibility that I'm testing with the wrong EFI.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, eSaF said:

I did it :D Sonoma is my daily driver since Beta 2. I am pretty happy with it. Everything I need is working. To be honest it's more responsive than Ventura and the screen looks more vibrant and crispier. My Intel Wifi/BT + location services is working and screen mirroring is also working (unlike Ventura). The only thing that is not working as for now is the SD Card Reader. I don't care much about it since I sold all my DSLRs. Couple of days ago I had a feeling that my CPU in Sonoma runs hotter but that was due to my testing of CrossOver. Temps are just fine. Battery life is actually better than Ventura at the moment and it's pretty close to the battery life in Windows 11 Pro.

I admit that Sonoma is the first Beta that works so damn well for me!

PS - As @deeveedee said ALWAYS put Windows on a separate drive. I did the mistake to run Mac and Windows on the same drive before and guess what happened when Windows decided to perform a major update... I have Windows only on my gaming PC and it's at least 5 feet away from any hackintosh in my house!

Edited by CloverLeaf
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, CloverLeaf said:

I did it :D Sonoma is my daily driver since Beta 2. I am pretty happy with it. Everything I need is working.

Happy it's working out for you enough to make it your daily driver at this stage.

Unfortunately I can't say as much, in my case i.e Apple TV crashes on launch and I can't watch my collection of bought Apple Movies only when I launch in Ventura.

So until I think it is stable on my System, I will continue to view it as Eye Candy and use it as a thing to play with as the mood takes me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SavageAUS said:

I hope this isn't off topic.

I currently have Sonoma and Ventura on the same nVME drive and now that we SoNoWithWiFi I would like to blow away my Ventura install and use Sonoma as a daily driver.

However I do not wish to do a fresh install but as you will see in my screenshot Ventura is first on the disk.

My EFI is also on this drive.

Can I just boot into Sonomo and delete the Ventura partition and move Sonomo to the front then expand the whole drive?

Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 8.40.32 pm.png

I think delete the ventura partition. It's easier to go out. Once done, create a new partition for the other OS below after Sonoma.

57 minutes ago, Henry2010 said:

Easier to try different EFI folders too. Just need to change the boot order.

Your ability to juggle multiple EFIs is better than mine.  I found that no matter how certain I was of my BIOS boot order, I occasionally had situations where multiple EFIs caused my hack to boot from the wrong one.  I prefer having a single "permanently-installed" EFI and I test a different EFI by installing it on a bootable USB thumb drive. 

EDIT: Having a single EFI that boots multiple macOS versions may be more complex, since it may require MInKernel / MaxKernel limits to  make sure that kexts are conditionally injected based on the macOS version.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@eSaF and @SavageAUS ,

On my HackBookPro6,2 (laptop), I run multiple macOS versions on a single drive (each in its own APFS volume and all APFS volumes in a single container). I have a single EFI that boots all macOS version (which, in my case, requires some MinKernel and MaxKernel limits on kexts).  My second SSD in the laptop is for Time Machine.

On my HackMini8,1 (mini Desktop), I have two NVMe SSDS, each with multiple APFS volumes (each volume with a different installations of macOS).  I find it easiest to have a single EFI on one of the drives and I boot all macOS installations with the single EFI.  I have a third drive for TimeMachine.

If I need to experiment with a new macOS installation, I simply create a new APFS volume in an existing APFS container and perform my clean macOS install to the new volume.  I delete the APFS volume when I finish the experiment.

I don't run Windows or Linux on my hacks, but when I did run Windows, I would have Windows on a separate drive.  EDIT: And when I did run Windows on my hack, I did not boot Windows with OC EFI - I booted Windows from the BIOS selection menu.

EDIT: If I need to experiment with a new EFI, I always install the new EFI on a USB thumb drive and test the new EFI by booting from the thumb drive.  I find that having multiple EFIs installed permanently can lead to confusion.  For me, having a single permanently installed EFI eliminates confusion and eliminates the possibility that I'm testing with the wrong EFI.

I agree entirely with @deeveedeeand his "modus operandi" as he very aptly explained. 

@eSaFI suggest that you"exploit" the advantages of APFS volume groups in a single container on a single APFS formatted storage medium. To me it proved to be a real time as well as cost saver. Say no more, to me APFS and it's capabilities are just something I wish not to ever do without.

Greetings Hentings. 

1 hour ago, deeveedee said:

Your ability to juggle multiple EFIs is better than mine.  I found that no matter how certain I was of my BIOS boot order, I occasionally had situations where multiple EFIs caused my hack to boot from the wrong one.  I prefer having a single "permanently-installed" EFI and I test a different EFI by installing it on a bootable USB thumb drive. 

EDIT: Having a single EFI that boots multiple macOS versions may be more complex, since it may require MInKernel / MaxKernel limits to  make sure that kexts are conditionally injected based on the macOS version.

Again I agree entirely with @deeveedee his way of "working" is exactly the same as mine and has proven to be successful for my way of working.

Greetings Henties

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Henties said:

@eSaFI suggest that you"exploit" the advantages of APFS volume groups in a single container on a single APFS formatted storage medium.

Thank you for the response but as I always say.........Each to his own.

I am happy with my way.

You're happy with your way.

@deeveedee is happy with his way and Frank did it his way and I guess he was also happy. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, deeveedee said:

I use Bootloader Chooser.

But never mind since my post was deleted.

Of course using flash drives are safer.

Edited by Henry2010
  • Like 3

@deeveedeeI use a single EFI with min kernal and max kernel that boots well into Ventura, and Sonoma. I found that having various EFI's stuck into different volumes causes issues. This was also advised to me by Mald0n that I must only have 1 EFI in my system and if I need to have various copies then it must be in a USB rather so as not to conflict. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, surenmunoo said:

This was also advised to me by Mald0n

I am honored to be mentioned in the same sentence with him.  I learned a lot from MaLd0n and relied on much of his teachings, along with those of Slice and Rehabman when I was first learning to hack.  If MaLd0n agrees, then that's good enough for me.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

I think delete the ventura partition. It's easier to go out. Once done, create a new partition for the other OS below after Sonoma.

Problem is Ventura is installed on the drive first and even if booted into Sonoma I cannot remove it.
Might be time to test fresh installs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SavageAUS said:

Problem is Ventura is installed on the drive first and even if booted into Sonoma I cannot remove it.
Might be time to test fresh installs.

If you partitioned your drive after installing Ventura and then installed Sonoma, you can only delete the partition you created 2nd so you won't be able to delete the first partition that Ventura sits in. 

• Like 1