[pre-release] macOS Sonoma

1,844 posts in this topic

For my HackMini8,1, I needed to add RestrictEvents.kext and the NVRAM property "revpatch" (String, sbvmm).  After updating my EFI, the Sonoma 14.0 Beta 3 OTA update was available and installed without any issues.

EDIT: Note that my Beta 3 upgrade installed the incremental update (not the full installer).

The EFI changes that I made are here.

About This Hack: Sonoma 14.0 Beta 3

Spoiler

2115263400_Screenshot2023-07-06at2_55_02PM.png.1a354e8945590cb63af05f4c7b100048.png

revpatch property for RestrictEvents.kext

Spoiler

1969267986_Screenshot2023-07-06at2_38_57PM.png.a3001d36b4af2e425bd6351a1a977aba.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, D-an-W said:

Just adding revpatch=sbvmm to my boot args got me the update as I already had the kext in there, thanks everyone for the information!

Will it affect my Ventura install or ok to leave it in there?

What happens when you test Ventura with your changes?

EDIT: For me, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma all boot / run fine with the same EFI (including RestrictEvents.kext and revpatch=sbvmm).

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

uhm strange things... revpatch=sbvmm simply activate update on unsupported Mac model 'couse It force Apple ti see your hack like VMM...but... I'm on MacPro7,1 ...so basically 2019 MacPro and, like Apple site say, supported Mac...and didn't show the update ahahahah LoL (only full package) I really love Hackintosh xD btw, I think this time is related to T2... 'couse only imac19 works OOB..and he didn't have t2 chip...so...

Edited by D3v1L
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, AlfredoM said:

.... Not only that, but also a lot that doesn't work correctly with a clean reinstallation of the Beta3.

After you can see that the remaining time is 26 minutes, it remains indefinitely at "less than 1 minute left", it is NOT automatically restarted, as is usually the case.

I have the Beta3 clean on my orig. iMac 20.2 installed.

I then had to restart the iMac manually, then the macOS Installer finally worked. After then again 2 reboots the beta3 was finally installed.

In beta3, things got a lot worse again!

Can someone else also confirm this, with the first installation phase, which after a remaining time of 26 minutes will NOT automatically restart?

I installed it via delta update and it went through without any issues – iMac20,2 as well

Edited by cankiulascmnfye
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, D-an-W said:

Just adding revpatch=sbvmm to my boot args got me the update as I already had the kext in there, thanks everyone for the information!

Will it affect my Ventura install or ok to leave it in there?

Well, it does the same which is: reporting macOS as running in a VM (which has a speciall board-id) and then the update will work in situations, where it usually doesn't like using a T2 SMBIOS with SecureBootModel set to Disabled and/or SIP disabled. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, D3v1L said:

uhm strange things... revpatch=sbvmm simply activate update on unsupported Mac model...but... I'm on MacPro7,1 ...so basically 2019 MacPro and, like Apple site say, supported Mac...and didn't show the update ahahahah LoL (only full package) I really love Hackintosh xD btw, I think this time is related to T2... 'couse only imac19 works OOB..and he didn't have t2 chip...so...

My hack uses SMBIOS MacMini8,1 (2018) which has a T2 chip.  RestrictEvents.kext / sbvmm worked for me (update used the incremental installer, not the full installer).  Is it possible that you have other kernel patches (similar to OCLP) that force a full installer?

Edited by deeveedee

@lorys89 @PMheart @dhinakg

Thank you all!!!

I have followed the evolution of the fork of RestrictEvents that you did on your GitHub and the swupd-test branch in the Acidanthera repo, excellent work, now it will be easier to fix this issue, just have RestrictEvents up-to-date and enable it to get updates on Sonoma.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2

Beta 3 Launchpad keyboard issue: I can write in the text box looking for apps but I can't pick an app or navigate between apps using the keyboard. Mouse works fine.

Does this happen to anyone else?

3 hours ago, deeveedee said:

EDIT: For me, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma all boot / run fine with the same EFI (including RestrictEvents.kext and revpatch=sbvmm).

With the same system serial number? I used to do the same with Monterey/Ventura , but everytime I changed os, it showed problem with the icloud sync.

I doubt my testing branch of RestrictEvents will bring any extra benefits other than enabling the sbvmm patch by default. As @lorys89 pointed out, sbvmm patch conflicts with memtab and pciui patches, thus more investigation will be required. As for the new patch, so far we have seen nothing positive. <- just the truth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This Sonoma is very beauty but have many issues.

Im need use many programs that not run on Sonoma beta 3, or 2, or 1.

Most important for my Work (Job). Especially digital signature. 

:thumbsdown_anim: 

@Max.1974 It's early, so you have plenty of time.  For me, I won't be using Sonoma as my "production" macOS until March or April of 2024.  I don't upgrade my production volume to the new macOS until it is required for an XCode upgrade.  For now, Sonoma is just a toy to have fun with.  I still use Montery quite a bit (and even Big Sur for some work).

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutos atrás, deeveedee disse:

@Max.1974É cedo, então você tem muito tempo. Para mim, não usarei o Sonoma como meu macOS de "produção" até março ou abril de 2024. Eu não atualizo meu volume de produção para o novo macOS até que seja necessário para uma atualização do XCode. Por enquanto, Sonoma é apenas um brinquedo para se divertir. Eu ainda uso bastante Montery (e até Big Sur para algum trabalho).

Thanks my friend, certainly not fully released yet, but we, as Hackinotshers, are waiting for the updates to come as soon as possible. I try to use the previous one, Ventura, which runs everything, but Sonoma causes a bit of astonishment until we manage to "run" everything smooth. I've seen that software developers are pretty slow when it comes to new parameters. My token and NTFS Paragon were already running in the early days of Ventura Beta. This sonoma is "threaded" as we say here in Brazil. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, deeveedee said:

My hack uses SMBIOS MacMini8,1 (2018) which has a T2 chip.  RestrictEvents.kext / sbvmm worked for me (update used the incremental installer, not the full installer).  Is it possible that you have other kernel patches (similar to OCLP) that force a full installer?

RestrictEvents with sbvmm is working for all...'couse it fake a virtual machine...I don't use RestrictEvents in my rig (z390)...and no kernel patches at all ...i've only 4 kext (Lilu VirtualSMC IntelMausi and usbmap) and one ssdt lol 😅 btw i think is all related to t2 this time...t2 smbios don't receive incremental if system update don't find the chip...(i think...)

Edited by D3v1L
typo
  • Like 2

@D3v1L

Yes, it’s a logical option. You say "t2 smbios don't receive incremental if system update don't find the chip... (i think)" and it can explain the issue that many users have not getting incremental updates when having SMBIOS of T2 models. 
But then you have also the issue setting MacPro7,1 without RestrictEvents, right?

12 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@D3v1L

Yes, it’s a logical option. You say "t2 smbios don't receive incremental if system update don't find the chip... (i think)" and it can explain the issue that many users have not getting incremental updates when having SMBIOS of T2 models. 
But then you have also the issue setting MacPro7,1 without RestrictEvents, right?

Absolutely yes. MP7.1 have t2 also...so is 4 this that i think the incremental is chip related.. 😅 ...btw, like you, same launchpad issue here..

Edited by D3v1L
  • Like 1

Of course, if the seal is broken, no amount of vmm spoofing will prevent ota from trying to update with the full installer.

Edited by deeveedee

20 minutes ago, PMheart said:

For those using MacPro7,1 SMBios, what kind of issue do you get when using RestrictEvents pciui, memtab, and sbvmm patches?

For me, no issue at all...i never using RestrictEvents 🤣

• Like 1