[pre-release] macOS Sonoma

1,844 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, meg2014 said:

I bought the TP-Link USB dongle on ebay for $5, so why not try it?

I use 'Air Drop' and 'iPhone Camera' hand off quite frequently. Yes these USB dongle work-around offers WiFi but they stop short of offering the full Apple Experience where those two functions are concerned.

As I mentioned previously, I have full internet connectivity via Ethernet in Sonoma so the Dongle method offers me no benefit whatsoever without full WiFi functionality like the Fenvi T-919 in Ventura which I use for those missing two features.

The USB Dongle in my opinion is more suited for Laptop users purely for mobility purposes but will be still lacking 'Air Drop' and 'iPhone Camera Hand off'.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, meg2014 said:

I used @chris1111's driver (from Github) and a Tp-Link T3U Wifi USB dongle and it worked.  I have Wifi. 

I don't use airdrop or anything fancy with Wifi, so I don't know if these work.   This hack I have is just a beta, so I don't do anything other than very basic testing on it, and nothing else.  I don't do any production work on it.  Never have.

And it was kind of a lark;  I bought the TP-Link USB dongle on ebay for $5, so why not try it?

I would think that this means if a driver can be fashioned for the Broadcom wifi adapters we all seem to have, then it's possible these Wifi adapters might still be usable.

I have also the T3U Wifi USB B) great adapter The  T3U Plus also working great 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, eSaF said:

I use 'Air Drop' and 'iPhone Camera' hand off quite frequently. Yes these USB dongle work-around offers WiFi but they stop short of offering the full Apple Experience where those two functions are concerned.

As I mentioned previously, I have full internet connectivity via Ethernet in Sonoma so the Dongle method offers me no benefit whatsoever without full WiFi functionality like the Fenvi T-919 in Ventura which I use for those missing two features.

The USB Dongle in my opinion is more suited for Laptop users purely for mobility purposes but will be still lacking 'Air Drop' and 'iPhone Camera Hand off'.

I’m not really a preacher of the saying: “Only the squeaking wheel gets the oil”; but it this case, if the OC Devs did not get the message after the last 24 pages of this thread,  I seriously doubt they will.  :hysterical:.

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

Im at the same situation with Ethernet without wireless and of consequence, without Airdrop. 

In my work I need send documents and photos, because im a use take on streets, judicial ordem delivery and receive signature on paper need take a picture and put on process digital of law. (I am an Officer of Court) like US Marshal. 

So I Love Hack and I have MBA and anothers desktops, laptops, etc.... 

So I hope Apple not use ONLY soldered cards or I hope some Chinese create something similar to put on hack!! 

:euro:   :construction: 

🇧🇷:thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Max.1974
  • Like 4

I think I have a m1 or m2 MacBook at work with a dead screen that I can possibly pull some information from just need to know what is needed for wifi and where to supply the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

I think I have a m1 or m2 MacBook at work with a dead screen that I can possibly pull some information from just need to know what is needed for wifi and where to supply the information.

Hi my friend, I think that coders can use your ioreg extract or something like that. 

BTW, looks like you live in Australia, it's amazing, because my sister live in Melbourne with his child and husband. 

:cowboy:

• Like 4

Hi my friend, I think that coders can use your ioreg extract or something like that. 

BTW, looks like you live in Australia, it's amazing, because my sister live in Melbourne with his child and husband. 

:cowboy:

Yes Australia for me.
I guess when I get some names I’ll tag them to see what is needed to put this wifi problem to rest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max.1974 said:

Im at the same situation with Ethernet without wireless and of consequence, without Airdrop. 

In my work I need send documents and photos, because im a use take on streets, judicial ordem delivery and receive signature on paper need take a picture and put on process digital of law. (I am an Officer of Court) like US Marshal. 

So I Love Hack and I have MBA and anothers desktops, laptops, etc.... 

So I hope Apple not use ONLY soldered cards or I hope some Chinese create something similar to put on hack!! 

:euro:   :construction: 

🇧🇷:thumbsup_anim:

In the meantime that the problem is solved try to use 

https://github.com/localsend/localsend

... or similar 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

Darn it! Can't get the fenvi T919 to work in macOS Sonoma so I officially give up!

Once Apple completes the transition to Apple Silicon I'll go back to using MS-DOS! :frantics:

I think that I would rather go back to using an Abacus before going back to any MS product.

Greetings Henties

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I am a bit confused about the non-functioning WiFi feature, which seemingly even manifests itself with Apple's Intel based iMac and iMacPro models, that are ostensibly still supported by Sonoma. In my humble opinion WiFi should at least still work with Sonoma, if installed on recent and Sonoma supported iMac models for which Apple is/has been using the Fenvi T919 WiFi/BT solution itself. If Apple deliberately dropped WiFi from these, fairly recent Intel based machines, then they shot themselves in their own foot, and are letting their customers, with recent Apple Intel based machines, down quite terribly. 

I therefore still believe that the non-functioning WiFi is an oversight by Apple during the early beta phase of Sonoma and that WiFi will start working again with later beta incarnations of Sonoma.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Greetings Henties 

• Like 5

@Henties

Oh no, on the contrary, back in 2006 when Apple started to transition from PowerPC architecture to Intel they introduced the late 2006 Power Mac G5 with dual processors and at that time it costs around $1999 up to $3299 which was s***t load of money for a high end desktop and it was only supported by two operating systems; Mac OS X 10.4.2 (Mac OS X Tiger) and Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Mac OS X Leopard). When they introduced the first Intel based Mac Pro or any other mac for that matter it made the older devices obsolete!

They introduced Snow Leopard in 2009 which dropped support for all PPC Macs

So I hope your right about the later releases to fix the WiFi issue but I don't think so.

Mac OS X Tiger and Mac OS X Leopard where the first operating systems to include the universal binaries to support both platforms (PowerPC and Intel) and now we might only have one last macOS to support Intel (or maybe two) so my guess is that Sonoma might be the last OS to support Intel.

Some might say there might be another OS after Sonoma but that's it!

The logic behind macOS Sonoma be the last OS is that by the time they release another macOS in 2024 the 2020 iMacs and MacBook Pros etc... are the last Intel computers that Apple manufactured and they will be 4 years old by then so my guess is that the transition will be complete and that be the end of support for Intel based Macs.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Henties said:

I am a bit confused about the non-functioning WiFi feature, which seemingly even manifests itself with Apple's Intel based iMac and iMacPro models, that are ostensibly still supported by Sonoma. In my humble opinion WiFi should at least still work with Sonoma, if installed on recent and Sonoma supported iMac models for which Apple is/has been using the Fenvi T919 WiFi/BT solution itself. If Apple deliberately dropped WiFi from these, fairly recent Intel based machines, then they shot themselves in their own foot, and are letting their customers, with recent Apple Intel based machines, down quite terribly. 

I therefore still believe that the non-functioning WiFi is an oversight by Apple during the early beta phase of Sonoma and that WiFi will start working again with later beta incarnations of Sonoma.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Greetings Henties 

WiFi chipset 4360 are obsolete. Sonoma simply remove legacy kext, framework etc. for the "old one"... Apple wanna only ARM in their machine. Intel are obsolete. Even in MacPro2023 there's no pciex dgpu expansion slot, so, no AMD7xxx series (I mean natively supported, not a working one spoofed) are working in the future OOTB. Is like PPC -> Intel on 2005/2006

it's the progress. Like electic cr@p car... 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

@Stefanalmare I am now back to getting a 3 minute delay with my laptops internal screen.

When I shared my success that was the one and only time it worked.
Config attached.

Have tried clearing nvram as well.

config.plist 36.92 kB · 1 download

For me it works all the time. Try to put "enable-backlight-registers-alternative-fix" to device properties and delete boot-args.

Edited by Stefanalmare
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, AlfredoM said:

For the AirDrop problems, there is an alternative that is not quite as convenient, but it also works well for people who absolutely need it.

It's called Drop Copy

Well, DropCopy works very well... 👌 ...  It is a good alternative to Airdrop 

Thanks

Edited by PoMpIs
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, antuneddu said:

In the meantime that the problem is solved try to use 

https://github.com/localsend/localsend

... or similar 

This one works amazingly well, Drop Copy can't handle large files but local send is pretty amazing. In case we can't get the WiFi to work in Sonoma this one can replace AirDrop!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

For me it works all the time. Try to put "enable-backlight-registers-alternative-fix" to device properties and delete boot-args.

The strange thing is that with my other laptop (10th gen Dell) the -igfxblr boot arg works just fine.

It is the 9th gen laptop that is causing me problems and I don't have that one with me today until later but I will try the device property only.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

They are Broadcom. At least in my MBP15,1.

I've downloaded Darwin Dumped IOREGs and checked some of them. Seem like macBookAir9,x, MacBookPro15,x and iMac19,1 all use Broadcom.

So my guess is, Apple will integrate these drives back into their .dext version later. Otherwise they would have to correct the list of compatible device which would be a really bad look for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

Using properties I still get black screen for 3 minutes.

I will assume it is a data type with the value of 01000000

I am actually at my wits end with this 3 minute delay.

The new fix isn't working for me.

I have tried using the device properties only, boot arg only and both at the same time clearing nvram in between.

config.plist

1 hour ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

I've downloaded Darwin Dumped IOREGs and checked some of them. Seem like macBookAir9,x, MacBookPro15,x and iMac19,1 all use Broadcom.

So my guess is, Apple will integrate these drives back into their .dext version later. Otherwise they would have to correct the list of compatible device which would be a really bad look for them.

Oh thank you, you are now echoing precisely what I have been writing all along on this particular topic.

Well done.

Greetings Henties

• Haha 2