[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2022 at 8:23 PM, antuneddu said:

👍

1703818897_Screenshot2022-08-08alle19_21

Ventura Beta 5- 22A5321d-done!-no issues so far🙂Thanks again to everyone here, moderators, donators ,the OC group and developers for all your help!. I would never have got this far without it

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 5.26.10 PM.png

Build 1: iMac20,2, i5-9400F, Samsung 16GB DDR4 RAM, MSI Z390 Gaming Plus , Radeon RX 580 8GB, OC 0.8.4

Edited by ndungu6678
  • Like 5

@D3v1L

You >> RestrictEvents.kext, for MacPro7,1 smbios WITH INTEL CPU (!!pay attention, ONLY on INTEL CPU!!), ONLY HIDE the memory "problem" (the problem is only on Ventura...'couse , maybe , is an early beta?!?!?!?...). So, sorry but is only a placebo.

Me >> You know that RestrictEvents have more features. All of them are intended to block undesired processes in Hacks or in real Macs so, form this point of view, it's a placebo but do not forget that placebos have an effect on a percentage of people who take them as if they were real medicines 😂
Mac Pro 7,1 SMBIOS, in my opinion, often has the memory configuration issue, even without RestrictEvents, in the beta versions of Ventura released so far. Other users and I have tried different settings in the Memory section of config.plist but we have not managed to make disappear the info icon next to the memory in General >> Information and neither does the window that opens from that icon correctly say the number of occupied and free slots although it usually says well total and type of installed memory.
I think I remember that you have correct that info with the number of slots occupied and free, using MemoryDevices of config.plist and not RestrictEvents. But in other cases this does not happen.
In this sense, we can say that MacPro7,1 often presents this memory issue in the hackintoshes, on the other hand iMac and iMacPro recognize more directly the adjustment of the RAM memory.

You >> Coffee Lake... preferred iMac19,1 only for cpu power management (OK, but the benefit's stop here)...
iMac19,1 with CL ...ok, say me , from Monterey, how can i use complete DRM with this smbios? (simply, it will not)

Me >> The trick for me is iMac19,1 + unfairgva=6 in boot.args, DRM handling is not complete but TV app works fine. No problem with QuickSync (I guess).

Anyway, it's amazing to have 3 different SMBIOS to use in my hack thanks to OpenCore and Clover, one of the options is my favorite but from time to time I try the others and this way I get less bored 👍

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 8

@Sherlocks and @Moviemakergr I haven't noticed a USB speed difference on the USB 3.1 ports of my HackMini8,1, but you made me curious, so I ran BlackMagic Diskspeed Test on a USB 2.0 thumb drive inserted into one of my front USB 3.1 ports.  My testing shows that there is a very slight decrease in both read and write performance in Ventura when comparing read/write for same USB port and same USB thumb drive.  If you want to test your own USB port(s), run BlackMagic and change the target drive by selecting File > Select Target Drive.

BlackMagic Diskspeed: Monterey 12.5

Spoiler

1754747819_ScreenShot2022-08-10at4_39_57PM.png.84ba23f318dde929dd4596b04c367817.png

BlackMagic Diskspeed: Ventura Beta 5

Spoiler

54934195_Screenshot2022-08-10at4_51_08PM.png.305a165b93d256a951ec118862e08703.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Moviemakergr said:

Yes i have the same prob,extremely when copy on EFI folder.

My flash drives are bad and old, but not that bad...

You are right, copying certain things is slow, very very slow 😆

890877052_Capturadepantalla2022-08-11alas1_12_53.png.311de37d64ea53b23e9b2b303ffe27d2.png

Try to copy the istat menus application in a USB 😁

:thumbsup_anim:

• Like 2

Today I entertained myself for a while with my son's computer....

I didn't expect it to install ventura beta 5 without the slightest problem, but it has... I'm going to have to put an RX6000 on it, because with the gtx1660ti it has I don't have graphics acceleration, but it still runs smoothly on basic tasks. .. it has been very very entertaining to put beta 5 on this computer :yes:

1025667876_Capturadepantalla2022-08-10alas17_50_23.thumb.png.7f2ac298f780ac333b2b81b98a7559dd.png

and perfectly shows the memory

1722137994_Capturadepantalla2022-08-10alas17_51_35.png.e9c7f06c2181ca67c2a9981c95353a4f.png

And it also has the same problem of copying files to a usb pendrive, It stays like this for a long time:

197133717_Capturadepantalla2022-08-10alas18_01_18.png.f62458dfc186e64189d7f5b67e1d1362.png

Edited by PoMpIs
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Moviemakergr said:

Yes i have the same prob,extremely when copy on EFI folder.

6 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@Sherlocks and @Moviemakergr I haven't noticed a USB speed difference on the USB 3.1 ports of my HackMini8,1, but you made me curious, so I ran BlackMagic Diskspeed Test on a USB 2.0 thumb drive inserted into one of my front USB 3.1 ports.  My testing shows that there is a very slight decrease in both read and write performance in Ventura when comparing read/write for same USB port and same USB thumb drive.  If you want to test your own USB port(s), run BlackMagic and change the target drive by selecting File > Select Target Drive.

BlackMagic Diskspeed: Monterey 12.5

Reveal hidden contents

1754747819_ScreenShot2022-08-10at4_39_57PM.png.84ba23f318dde929dd4596b04c367817.png

BlackMagic Diskspeed: Ventura Beta 5

Reveal hidden contents

54934195_Screenshot2022-08-10at4_51_08PM.png.305a165b93d256a951ec118862e08703.png

3 hours ago, PoMpIs said:

My flash drives are bad and old, but not that bad...

You are right, copying certain things is slow, very very slow 😆

890877052_Capturadepantalla2022-08-11alas1_12_53.png.311de37d64ea53b23e9b2b303ffe27d2.png

Try to copy the istat menus application in a USB 😁

:thumbsup_anim:

thanks for check.

i determined that my alderlake desktop return to monterey for maintainance that backup efi and etc for other system..

• Like 3

Guys, when testing USB flash drives speeds - regardless of which OS you do the testing on - of course USB 2.0 is useless, as it is very old now.

Also, please avoid using (i.e. purchasing) and testing "fake", cheap USB 3.1 (was 3.0) drives, where you will often find they have a fairly good read speed, but horrible (too low) write speed.

(Often, such inferior USB drives do not even list any write speed in their official specs!)

Shoot for something that has at least 200 MB/sec read, and 100 MB/sec write speed. :) 

Edited by Naki
Grammar fix
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Naki said:

Guys, when testing USB flash drives speeds, of course USB 2.0 is useless, as it is very old now.

Also, please avoid using (i.e. purchasing) and testing "fake", cheap USB 3.1 (was 3.0) drives, where you will often find they have a fairly good read speed, but horrible (too low) write speed.

(Often, such inferior USB drives do not even list any write speed in their official specs!)

Shoot for something that has at least 200 MB/sec read, and 100 MB/sec write speed. :) 

Well, it seems that you are right, Venture does not like cheap flash drives 😁..

I have done a test with a 1Tb USB SSD, and it copies fast

• Like 5

HP EliteDesk updated earlier today. Everything seems to work fine. Only Intel bluetooth doesn't work but it's not working in any Ventura release anyway. Intel Wi-Fi works tho. 

USB transfer speeds are okay. All my 3.0 , 3.2 flash drives tested and work as expected. 

Anybody tried CrossOver under Ventura ? Keep crashing here.

Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 19.14 copy.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Jazzoo
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Naki said:

Guys, when testing USB flash drives speeds - regardless of which OS you do the testing on - of course USB 2.0 is useless, as it is very old now.

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

Cheap USB3.x keys often tend to heat up quite a lot which dramatically degrades performance too. 'better conduct those Ventura tests with an externally attached SSD than a cheap USB key, yes.

My USB Dongle is a Sandisk 16GB ultra flare USB 3..

The point is the different between monterey and ventura.

On monterey i haven't prob on Ventura is the prob..

As have write before is extremely slow when write on EFI partition.. not on regular copy.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Moviemakergr said:

My USB Dongle is a Sandisk 16GB ultra flare USB 3..

The point is the different between monterey and ventura.

On monterey i haven't prob on Ventura is the prob..

As have write before is extremely slow when write on EFI partition.. not on regular copy.

To me in the EFI of a USB it copies me like this:

It's better or worse for you???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Moviemakergr said:

Have you tried running First Aid on your thumb drive / EFI partition?

40 minutes ago, PoMpIs said:

To me in the EFI of a USB it copies me like this:

It's better or worse for you???

Yours is much better ..

Mine stuck and write 2 by 2 (or 3 by 3 ) files close to the end..

35 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

Have you tried running First Aid on your thumb drive / EFI partition?

No but i use the same usb on monterey without probs..

Edited by Moviemakergr
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Moviemakergr Are you using the latest HFS+ driver from here?  Note that I'm not sure if the HFS+ driver could impact EFI read/write performance - I'll admit that I'm guessing at this point.  Not sure what I was thinking.  The HFSPlus.efi wouldn't have anything to do with the drive performance you're observing in macOS.

EDIT: It might be interesting to format your USB thumb drive as FAT32 to see if you can duplicate the slow EFI performance on a non-EFI partition.  Associating the performance issue with a specific drive format might help to isolate the problem.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@PoMpIs thanks! Same here. Failed to run Python script. Not a big deal, I know it's early for debugging 3rd party apps. To me Ventura is the first OS that works so well in beta compared to any previous OS beta's. Correct me if I'm wrong, just a personal feeling.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jazzoo said:

@PoMpIs thanks! Same here. Failed to run Python script. Not a big deal, I know it's early for debugging 3rd party apps. To me Ventura is the first OS that works so well in beta compared to any previous OS beta's. Correct me if I'm wrong, just a personal feeling.

I have problems with several applications in Ventura, some make "WindowServer" fail and send me to the login screen... but obviously it is a beta and those applications are not adapted to Ventura... if not I use the system works well and stable👍

Ventura Beta 4 upgraded from Beta 3, seems mostly OK
But: Attempting upgrade to Beta 5
  Downloaded 1.18 GB upgrade package
System freezes without panic showing "About 25 minutes remaining"

Freeze occurs more than 70 minutes later if wifi, bluetooth, cpu friend, card reader extensions are not loaded

Any suggestions?

Dell Latitude 7480
CPU i5-7300U, HD 620 Graphics
Alps U1 trackpad + DualPoint Stick [044E:120B]
Intel 8265 wireless adapter
Intel I219-LM ethernet adapter
Realtek ALC 3246 audio
Realtek 525A SD card reader
16 GB DDR4 RAM
Sandisk WD Black SN720 NVMe SSD
BIOS 1.26.0, SMBIOS 3.0.0, SKU=07A0, Baseboard=00F6D3

This configuration runs Mojave and Catalina with SecureModeModel=Disable
This configuration runs Monterey and Big Sur with SecureModeModel=Default

UPDATE

One day later, I decided to try using my Clover 5148 build.  It allowed the upgrade to Beta 5 to succeed.  At second reboot, I switched back to OpenCore 0.8.3, and that completed the installation.

Notes about Unknown Developer lurking about keened my interest.

Login Item

amdstat added

Nothing else interesting happening.

NOTE: I withdrew the attachments, as they are no longer useful or sufficient to reproduce the issue.

Edited by trifle
Fixed by booting clover.

3 hours ago, Hervé said:

Cheap USB3.x keys often tend to heat up quite a lot which dramatically degrades performance too.

Thanks for the tip!  I'm installing heatsinks/fans on my old USB keys.

USB Thumb Drive with Heatsink / Fan

Spoiler

thumbnail_IMG_2035.thumb.jpg.d3accf918a7847bbb85fb3e843b03295.jpg

• Haha 10
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, PoMpIs said:

With smbios MacPro7,1 it is working fine for me

Hide contents

449297776_Capturadepantalla2022-08-11alas22_29_09.thumb.png.2405383ab4346369825238699fd3687c.png

Yes... It was working the whole time but playing on my 2nd monitor (TV) which had another input selected. hehe, well it works at least even if I look like a fool.

Do you have DRM working in Safari?

• Like 1