[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

@miliuco - I certainly will Bro, I can't shout too loudly about it as the wife don't know how much I have spent so far and I am scared :hysterical:. The board Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Master is coming tomorrow, already bought the CPU and cooler. I have prepared the EFI Folder, obviously untested but hoping I won't have too many problems but will have to see.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

Just thought I would mention that I also cannot shut the system off without pulling power, as the system shutoff does not shut the system down anymore.   Currently I have a Gigabyte Z90, and thought that the issues you are reporting are very much the same for me, even though I have a comet lake system.

Sorry to hear that, believe me I've tried everything I could to track the problem and the fact it is happening in Windows as well tells me the board has developed a power phase fault according to the Power Phase LED status inside the board. I defaulted the BIOS settings, removed the OS X Drive from the system leaving only the Windows Drive and the fault was still there. I took a gamble and went with Gigabyte again with the new board hoping I haven't made a mistake, I did consider Asus but went with 'Better the Devil you know than the Angel you don't' so fingers crossed I'm wishing and hoping.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

Well, btw, the update to Beta 6 went very well.......

And, before you throw out your z390, on my system I have Windows, Mac, and Linux (Mint).   Interestingly, the failed shutdown (poweroff) problem occurs with Windows and Mac but not with Linux.  When Linux Mint shuts down, the system powers off and stays off.  So, at least in my case, it can't really be the hardware.....

Added:  I should note that I only boot the Macs (Monterey and Ventura) via Opencore.  Windows and Linux are booted via the F12 key, which loads the boot disks and I boot directly from the drive that holds the OS I want to boot to.

Most likely a GPU issue.

Bios - Above4G decoding : Turn off. 
Resize bar option might be another pirate in the sea.

• Like 2

I'm not sure the best way to ask this in this forum, so I'll give it a try. I'd like to isolate the high CPU / high fans problem that some are still experiencing with Ventura Beta 6...

I see that at least one person has reported the "high CPU / high fans" problem with Ventura Beta 6.  I have not experienced and am not experiencing this problem at all with my HackMini8,1 ([Release] versions of OC 0.8.3, Lilu 1.6.2, VirtualSMC 1.3.0, WEG 1.6.1).  There are others who claim to be using my EFI (which I provide here in my guide) on the same EliteDesk 800 G series PC who are experiencing the high CPU / high fan problem.

I read that some who observe the problem (also observed on real Macs) have linked the problem to macOS e-mail.  I don't use macOS e-mail and I don't use Wi-Fi/Bluetooth.

In the interest of trying to isolate the problem (if it still exists), are those who still experience the high fan problem in Ventura Beta 6 using either macOS e-mail or Wi-Fi/Bluetooth?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

As I have this Beta machine connected to a power strip, I just push the button on the power strip and everything I want to go off, goes off and stays off.  So, for me, its just not a big issue.  Pretty easy, actually.

Perhaps @eSaF might try out your idea.....

If I'm not mistaken that's how @Loloflat6 resolved his shutdown issue with his Vega56. To be confirmed..

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, eSaF said:

@miliuco - I certainly will Bro, I can't shout too loudly about it as the wife don't know how much I have spent so far and I am scared :hysterical:. The board Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Master is coming tomorrow, already bought the CPU and cooler. I have prepared the EFI Folder, obviously untested but hoping I won't have too many problems but will have to see.

Good luck with your new build

And telling the wife

• Haha 7

Successfully updated 4 x Gigabyte based hacks from Ventura 13.0  Beta 5  (22A5321d) to Ventura 13.0  Beta 6  (22A5331f).

1 x Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H     Multi booting  Monterey, Ventura, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Professional

1x Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3       Multi booting  Monterey, Ventura, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Professional

2x Gigabyte GA-7490-Vision G  Multi booting  Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Professional

For all the above OC 0.8.4 is in use and configured appropriately and minimalistically, for it's respective hardware platform, as tabulated above.

Each of the four config.plist files have been configured with PlatformInfo-->Automatic-->NO and PlatformInfo-->CustomMemory-->YES

So far I have not discovered anything that is not working to my satisfaction ie Networking, WiFI, and Bluetooth, Sleep, Wake for network access, as well as Enable Power Nap.

The only third party software that is as yet not working is that from Rogue Amoeba, however the company is working to have updated software ready as soon as the initial Ventura beta cycle has ended.

Airfoil 2             : Not working yet 

Audio Hijack     : Not working yet

SoundSource   : Not working yet

Summary:

The beta path that Ventura travelled so far, has indeed pleasantly surprised me, particularly when one compares that with the Monterey beta path during the same time span from it's initial release date, now more than a year ago.

To those interested, EFI folders can be provided,  just point out which of the 3, quite different Gigabyte platforms, as tabulated above, and also listed below by their generic name,  you are actually interested in:

Haswell

Skylake

Comet Lake

Greetings Henties

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Henties said:

To those interested, EFI folders can be provided,  just point out which of the 3, quite different Gigabyte platforms, as tabulated above, and also listed below by their generic name,  you are actually interested in:

Haswell

Skylake

Comet Lake

Greetings Henties

Comet Lake EFI Folder Please

Edited by STLVNUB

@STLVNUB Comet Lake EFI, as per your request, attached.

Note of caution, this EFI is not guaranteed to be of benefit if not used in conjunction with a Gigabyte GA-7490-Vision G (Bios F 21) mobo, including the specific hardware connected and or installed. Full configuration details with a listing of all hardware as well as software, can be

ascertained by scrutinising the # tagged entries at the beginning of the config.plist file.

The serial number, appearing in 5 places of the config.plist file under the "Dictionary" heading PlatformInfo and some of it's respective "children", has been mutilated beyond recognition. 

It is definitely not a general purpose EFI fitting all manufactures that sold boards encompassing the Intel Z490 chipset.

As a matter of principle I believe that each EFI folder must be tied exclusively to the mobo and connected hardware for which it is intended.

Anything else to me, is like getting a medical prescription from a doctor that is supposed to cure any ailments known, even amputating a limb, should that be required as a cure.

Good luck.

Greetings Henties

EFI.zip

Edited by Henties
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Matgen84 said:

Upgrade to Beta 6 smoothly as usual, my Z390 (Clover r5149 commit 806c09e) 🙂

Can you share your Ventura Clover EFI with me? I'm trying to boot my Ventura system with last Clover and I can't, never reaching the Desktop, I have changed something without realizing it and I can't find what it is. Thanks!!!

@miliuco Thank you for your kind words which indeed serve as encouragement to continue on this path. Properly documenting the EFI's seemed the only way to ensure that I retain my "sanity", especially further down the line, when  the configuration pecurliarities pertaining to each individual build, have long been forgotten. 

There exists a lot of "EFI configuration similarity" between each of the platforms I maintain. In the end, keeping order the way chosen, has already eased run of the mill maintenance chores, including but not limited, to updates and modifications, considerably.

Of cause, another advantage seems that properly documented EFIs will perhaps not get "bloated" over time, with useless configuration entries, regularly floating around all over the net, with the "owners" not even remembering why these, often obsolete entries, are there in the first place..

Greetings Henties 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AlexVTk said:

Registration required on Github

Thank you very much, I am already registered but I forgot to log in.

I hope that both Haswell and Ivy can enable HD 4600 and HD 4000 respectively.

Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miliuco said:

Can you share your Ventura Clover EFI with me? I'm trying to boot my Ventura system with last Clover and I can't, never reaching the Desktop, I have changed something without realizing it and I can't find what it is. Thanks!!!

Hi @miliuco I don't think sharing the entire EFI folder is necessary to solve your problem with Clover. With latest Clover, it's suitable to use latest FakeSMC.kext 3.5.4 instead of VirtualSMC.kext. Now, SMCHelper.efi is embedded into CloverX64.efi (if I remember well). Try to replace the kext, don't use old SMCHelper.
I can upload my config.plist If you want despite few differences between ours configs. Let me know !

• Like 2