[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

Good afternoon.

Most users who set MacPro7,1 with Ventura have the info icon next to the RAM in General >> Information, regardless of whether they use Memory Events (memory slots are displayed as they are) or CustomMemory (memory slots look like on a Mac Pro but there are usually errors in the number of occupied and free slots).
But I have seen the same info icon on Ventura 5 with iMac19,1 SMBIOS. No RestrictEvents or CustomMemory, of course.
Maybe this has to do with the beta version and not the MacPro7,1 model? Maybe we thought that the icon indicates a malfunction of RestrictEvents or a memory misconfiguration warning and in fact it is not so.

Does anyone else have that icon WITHOUT MacPro7,1?

Spoiler

memory.thumb.png.ac6135711b8f183e0ed6130bbd598392.png

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Slice said:

Until reboot.

That is what I thought too. Then after a couple of times using that command the problem was half gone on my system. Meaning the CPU does not overload at startup but when I manually put the Hac to sleep it wakes with the CPU overload problem which is solved by running the sudo pmset schedule cancelall command again. Still sleep is useless that way 😕 Hope the next beta irons this bug out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miliuco said:

I have the icon on my rig as well, it'd be interesting to know if it also appears on real Macs as well (if the query is not already answered).

Spoiler

605718839_Screenshot2022-08-15at21_20_40.png.c60b775b76526b9769da38c2cb80c943.png

• Like 4

12 hours ago, miliuco said:

Good afternoon.

Most users who set MacPro7,1 with Ventura have the info icon next to the RAM in General >> Information, regardless of whether they use Memory Events (memory slots are displayed as they are) or CustomMemory (memory slots look like on a Mac Pro but there are usually errors in the number of occupied and free slots).
But I have seen the same info icon on Ventura 5 with iMac19,1 SMBIOS. No RestrictEvents or CustomMemory, of course.
Maybe this has to do with the beta version and not the MacPro7,1 model? Maybe we thought that the icon indicates a malfunction of RestrictEvents or a memory misconfiguration warning and in fact it is not so.

Reveal hidden contents

AFAIK it is

<key>PlatformFeature</key>
   <string>0x02</string>

in SMBIOS section in Clover config. Don't know about OC.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, eSaF said:

I have the icon on my rig as well, it'd be interesting to know if it also appears on real Macs as well (if the query is not already answered).

Reveal hidden contents

605718839_Screenshot2022-08-15at21_20_40.png.c60b775b76526b9769da38c2cb80c943.png

absolutely yes. 

"i" appears and "mismatch" slot occupied appears too...

it's Ventura bug, not hackintosh bug.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, miliuco said:

Good afternoon.

Hide contents

memory.thumb.png.ac6135711b8f183e0ed6130bbd598392.png

If it is indeed based on the Firmware Features values (based on @Sliceccomment), then the equivalent in OC should be PlatformInfo->Generic->SystemMemoryStatus. The bit controlled by this setting signals whether the memory is soldered or not. I don't see the menu and I use MacBookPro15,1 on my X1 Extreme so the idea is plausible.

Edited by 1Revenger1
  • Like 4

uhm wanna try to convert my oc in Clover... for now 4 on 4 KP LoL ahahha btw the long hard road out of hell ahahah xD 

Edited by D3v1L
  • Like 1

@1Revenger1

It strikes me that, after reading your post, I have tried the options available for SystemMemoryStatus and I have seen that Upgradable (more suitable option in MacPro) keeps the info icon (as Auto does) but Soldered (less suitable option) removes it, probably because it also removes part of the information about the RAM.

This with MP7,1 + RestrictEvents.
iMac 19,1 (without RestrictEvents) behaves the same, Upgradable (Auto also) keeps the icon and Soldered remove it.

EDIT: memory info in System Profiler is okey.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 4

btw ...the "i", is ok to appear...'couse with this, you "see" what kind of memory you have, in what slot etc... btw, if you set "soldered", you don't need to see anything...'couse for MacOS, your RAM is not upgradable so...why see how many free slot do you have? is not your problem! xD LoL  

this is only for MacPro (of course) 'couse is the only that give you possibility to upgrade ram yourself...

• Like 1

@D3v1L

You're right but don't forget that memory info in System Profiler is always available.

Upgradable and Soldered are attempts to learn more about this matter. Really Auto is the best choice for SystemMemoryStatus despite of the info icon.

Of course with Soldered I have expandable memory = no in memory tab of System Profiler.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, D3v1L said:

uhm wanna try to convert my oc in Clover... for now 4 on 4 KP LoL ahahha btw the long hard road out of hell ahahah xD 

Why have just OC or Clover when you can have both and use BootLoaderChooser that comes with Clover?

Spoiler

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c4949adce22a5f5c4777dcf5d52a65b0.jpg

• Like 3

Hi guys... 🤗

I'm making some changes, because the new Ryzen 7000 comes out next month, and I have to prepare myself, because whenever something new comes out, I always try them.

So I have ported the Alder Lake (12400f+b660) to Unraid..

I have the equipment that I used before in unraid free... and the question is:

An i3 6100 together with an MSI z170A Gaming M3 motherboard, what SMbios do those of you who have Skylake use? Is the Intel HD520 iGPU fully functional?

If someone has an EFI for a system like this and sends it to me, it would save me a lot of work. 🙃

Thank you very much

1 hour ago, PoMpIs said:

Hi guys... 🤗

I'm making some changes, because the new Ryzen 7000 comes out next month, and I have to prepare myself, because whenever something new comes out, I always try them.

So I have ported the Alder Lake (12400f+b660) to Unraid..

I have the equipment that I used before in unraid free... and the question is:

An i3 6100 together with an MSI z170A Gaming M3 motherboard, what SMbios do those of you who have Skylake use? Is the Intel HD520 iGPU fully functional?

If someone has an EFI for a system like this and sends it to me, it would save me a lot of work. 🙃

Thank you very much

I have Z170 with Skylake CPU but I have external card RX570 because internal HD530 is not working good even if using connectorless configuration.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Slice said:

I have Z170 with Skylake CPU but I have external card RX570 because internal HD530 is not working good even if using connectorless configuration.

Well I'm off to a bad start 😆 ... 

I'm going to try it and see what happens, because I hadn't thought of putting a GPU on that computer

Thank you very much  

Edited by PoMpIs
  • Like 1

@miliuco - Hi, I see you mentioned you could get better temps, and Geekbench scores, from your AMD 6000 series GPU using a SoftPowerPlayTable from Windows, instead of the framebuffer approach.

So, I did a Google search, and found your detailed guide on how to do this 👍 I'm including the link here, because it looks very interesting, and I plan to give it a go later today with my RX 6800:
https://github.com/perez987/RX6600XT-on-macOS-Monterey-and-PowerPlayTable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, pbryanw said:

@miliuco - Hi, I see you mentioned you could get better temps, and Geekbench scores, from your AMD 6000 series GPU using a SoftPowerPlayTable from Windows, instead of the framebuffer approach.

So, I did a Google search, and found your detailed guide on how to do this 👍 I'm including the link here, because it looks very interesting, and I plan to give it a go later today with my RX 6800:
https://github.com/perez987/RX6600XT-on-macOS-Monterey-and-PowerPlayTable

Thanks mate, that was useful information, I am buying AMD 6600 👍

• Like 1

A few days later..... 

I've managed to get Ventura running unraid without having to buy a pcie usb controller... This board has few PCIe

The RX6800XT has a USB-C port... I have added it to XHCIunsupported and it works now 😀

But since it only has a usb-c port, I need a hub to be able to put the keyboard too, otherwise I can only connect the mouse and I have to use the on-screen keyboard, but it has served me perfectly to be able to start the machine and configure it...

The GPU works perfectly with audio via HDMI and Displayport, I have DRM working... it's very curious to have the virtualized system...

While doing all this, I had another windows machine running which my son was using at the same time along with a GTX1660Ti

I had a great time trying this... and it even seemed strange to me that it hardly needs any kext, I only have XHCIunsupported, Lilu and WEG... plus an SSDT for the GPU audio...

Anyway, thank you very much @Pavo for your great github tutorial, and to all of you who make this possible...

512262345_Capturadepantalla2022-08-18alas16_43_03.thumb.png.02981cb4a74b671d50e8b12d1da6f1e5.png

I have assigned to the machine 3 cores and 3 threads and 12.5Gb of ram, it works perfectly

1766097034_Capturadepantalla2022-08-18alas16_53_49.thumb.png.900a3a17e203d268f7b1966c396ee6bb.png

It gets practically the same score in cinebench as another computer I have with a Ryzen 1600AF@4Ghz all core with native installed ventura:thumbsup_anim: ( I have the i5 12400F at 5,120Mhz )

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PoMpIs said:

A few days later..... 

I've managed to get Ventura running unraid without having to buy a pcie usb controller... This board has few PCIe

The RX6800XT has a USB-C port... I have added it to XHCIunsupported and it works now 😀

But since it only has a usb-c port, I need a hub to be able to put the keyboard too, otherwise I can only connect the mouse and I have to use the on-screen keyboard, but it has served me perfectly to be able to start the machine and configure it...

The GPU works perfectly with audio via HDMI and Displayport, I have DRM working... it's very curious to have the virtualized system...

While doing all this, I had another windows machine running which my son was using at the same time along with a GTX1660Ti

I had a great time trying this... and it even seemed strange to me that it hardly needs any kext, I only have XHCIunsupported, Lilu and WEG... plus an SSDT for the GPU audio...

Anyway, thank you very much @Pavo for your great github tutorial, and to all of you who make this possible...

Reveal hidden contents

512262345_Capturadepantalla2022-08-18alas16_43_03.thumb.png.02981cb4a74b671d50e8b12d1da6f1e5.png

I have assigned to the machine 3 cores and 3 threads and 12.5Gb of ram, it works perfectly

1766097034_Capturadepantalla2022-08-18alas16_53_49.thumb.png.900a3a17e203d268f7b1966c396ee6bb.png

It gets practically the same score in cinebench as another computer I have with a Ryzen 1600AF@4Ghz all core with native installed ventura:thumbsup_anim: ( I have the i5 12400F at 5,120Mhz )

No problem, but you shouldn’t need WEG with any RX 6xxx series GPUs and have DRM working.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pavo said:

No problem, but you shouldn’t need WEG with any RX 6xxx series GPUs and have DRM working.

I need it, otherwise I have a black screen when starting 🤷‍♂️ 

I have already tried it and without WEG it does not work for me

(((Could it be because of the iMacPro SMBios??? if I pass it to MacPro7,1 I don't need it anymore??)))

What I have achieved a while ago is to pass USB devices to the VM... I no longer need to use the type c port of the GPU.... and I even have bluetooth and the trackpad working... :thumbsup_anim:

I have been looking at the XML in detail... and I have noticed that QEMU assigns 15 usb ports, I have left it in 7 and I can now manually pass what I want to the guest... I have the keyboard, the mouse and the bluetooth plus the usb audio of the board and the connected tarckpad... (I suppose it loads the USBs because it is an intel board, and it will have compatible Device-id)

1371240570_Capturadepantalla2022-08-18alas19_43_52.png.6cb11f9f82b0e2711a15b0e1914982d1.png

1687151367_Capturadepantalla2022-08-18alas19_50_21.thumb.png.a23a11fd2b5380634c82c730cc432a37.png

482978137_Capturadepantalla2022-08-18alas19_54_46.thumb.png.51bd2921e99e3c003d92433ef9b10140.png

The truth is that I did not expect that this could be done with Unraid, Windows yes, and I have done it more times, but MacOS works so well is incredible

PS:  GPU is hot-pluggable on USB-C, charges iPhone or iPad blazing fast 😆

Edited by PoMpIs

3 hours ago, PoMpIs said:

I need it, otherwise I have a black screen when starting 🤷‍♂️ 

I have already tried it and without WEG it does not work for me

(((Could it be because of the iMacPro SMBios??? if I pass it to MacPro7,1 I don't need it anymore??)))

What I have achieved a while ago is to pass USB devices to the VM... I no longer need to use the type c port of the GPU.... and I even have bluetooth and the trackpad working... :thumbsup_anim:

I have been looking at the XML in detail... and I have noticed that QEMU assigns 15 usb ports, I have left it in 7 and I can now manually pass what I want to the guest... I have the keyboard, the mouse and the bluetooth plus the usb audio of the board and the connected tarckpad... (I suppose it loads the USBs because it is an intel board, and it will have compatible Device-id)

1371240570_Capturadepantalla2022-08-18alas19_43_52.png.6cb11f9f82b0e2711a15b0e1914982d1.png

1687151367_Capturadepantalla2022-08-18alas19_50_21.thumb.png.a23a11fd2b5380634c82c730cc432a37.png

482978137_Capturadepantalla2022-08-18alas19_54_46.thumb.png.51bd2921e99e3c003d92433ef9b10140.png

The truth is that I did not expect that this could be done with Unraid, Windows yes, and I have done it more times, but MacOS works so well is incredible

PS:  GPU is hot-pluggable on USB-C, charges iPhone or iPad blazing fast 😆

That is correct, by changing the Qemu port amount to 7, it meets MacOS’s USB port limit for that controller. You can add multiple controllers as well but each controller needs to have 7 or less ports assigned to it for macOS to properly be able to use those ports.

As for the black screen without using WEG is most likely the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. I always use MacPro7,1 SMBIOS because there is no restrictions on Apple Graphics Device Policies being applied with that SMBIOS.

Edited by Pavo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Pavo said:

That is correct, by changing the Qemu port amount to 7, it meets MacOS’s USB port limit for that controller. You can add multiple controllers as well but each controller needs to have 7 or less ports assigned to it for macOS to properly be able to use those ports.

As for the black screen without using WEG is most likely the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. I always use MacPro7,1 SMBIOS because there is no restrictions on Apple Graphics Device Policies being applied with that SMBIOS.

Well you are right, I have changed to MacPro7.1 and I no longer need WEG  👍

Another question if you don't mind...

To install the system until now I did it from VNC... but today I have done it directly with the GPU passed to the VM and when it restarts the first time, something strange happens to the GPU because until I restart unraid I don't come back to have video, not even with the windows VM... instead, once MacOS is installed I can restart and shut down the system as many times as I want, use windows, linux, the GPU always works fine....

You install the system from scratch with the GPU passed to the VM??

Thank you very much 🙇‍♂️

PS: 

The truth is that it is hilarious and the hardware is used more...

I'm installing ventura at the same time that I'm going to try spiderman remastered and my son is playing fortnite in another VM... the computer is going to explode :hysterical:

571783541_i5full.thumb.png.d67c10d7f5218969c822e102fe176656.png

Edited by PoMpIs

7 hours ago, Pavo said:

I always use MacPro7,1 SMBIOS because there is no restrictions on Apple Graphics Device Policies being applied with that SMBIOS.

Is boot-arg 'igfxagdc=0' an option, too?

EDIT: I should have read your full post.  I now see that your goal is to have no AGDP restrictions without using WEG, but igfxagdc is a WEG boot-arg.

Edited by deeveedee

4 hours ago, PoMpIs said:

Well you are right, I have changed to MacPro7.1 and I no longer need WEG  👍

Another question if you don't mind...

To install the system until now I did it from VNC... but today I have done it directly with the GPU passed to the VM and when it restarts the first time, something strange happens to the GPU because until I restart unraid I don't come back to have video, not even with the windows VM... instead, once MacOS is installed I can restart and shut down the system as many times as I want, use windows, linux, the GPU always works fine....

You install the system from scratch with the GPU passed to the VM??

Thank you very much 🙇‍♂️

PS: 

Reveal hidden contents

The truth is that it is hilarious and the hardware is used more...

I'm installing ventura at the same time that I'm going to try spiderman remastered and my son is playing fortnite in another VM... the computer is going to explode :hysterical:

571783541_i5full.thumb.png.d67c10d7f5218969c822e102fe176656.png

Sometimes Qemu does not completely reset the GPU. It’s best to create 2 VMs one with GPU pass through and the second one with VNC but with all other settings the same. Use the VNC vm for installs and updates. Wait until the install or update process is complete and then turn the VNC vm off and turn the GPU vm on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1