[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Slice said:

The reason of high temps is not in climate change, the reason  is in bad tuned Ventura.

Ok - so I guessed I wasted my time, as partialy blocked or furred up inlets and exhaust don't really have an impact on cooling, so why do we bother with cooling at all I wonder. Thanks for the tip!!! :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, trifle said:

IF your rig is > 3 years old, and heat may be an issue now, and you are good at cleaning old paste, you may consider re-applying thermal paste to your CPU package base to make a better dissipation happen.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/how-to-apply-thermal-paste.html

I don't really want to dwell on the subject as it seems to have brought on ridicule and sarcasm in certain quarters but I am quite meticulous about the maintenance of my rig, and yes cleaning off old thermal paste and reapplying new does help along with cleaning air intakes and exhaust which I think is good practice, but our friend went off on a tangent about global warning, climate change or whatever hence my response was to do away with cooling fans for those that does not have a custom water block and even those has to be cleaned and replenish at intervals. But as I am a strong believer of every man to his own, I am done on the subject.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pavo said:

RX 6600 and RX 6000 XT have the same device-id, if it doesn’t you can always generate the injector kext of a RX 6600 XT and manually change the device-id in the Info.plist. All dGPUs have the same settings for properties.

Thanks, I was thinking so since I saw the code of AGPM.swift file, although before of that I thought that what OC-Gen-X generated was custom code for each model of AMD card.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, miliuco said:

Yes, thank you, I have tried it but there are 2 drawbacks:

• OC-Gen-X from @Pavo doesn't have RX 6600, only 6600 XT, this is the one I've chosen but not sure if the properties are exactly the same
  • GeekBench 5 scores drop clearly with this kext (maybe related to the above issue).

With AGPMInjector, there is AGPM controller on Monterey as in Ventura.

Assuming you have SMBIOS MacPro7,1 and this is right for your GPU: Vendor1002Device73bf.
Try this:

AGPMInjector.kext.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, hiphopboy said:

Sorry anyone have the EFI config to using Ventura on ivy bridge desktop at now ?

If you have AMD Radeon graphics card then no problem. Not HD4000.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

Assuming you have SMBIOS MacPro7,1 and this is right for your GPU: Vendor1002Device73bf.
Try this:

AGPMInjector.kext.zip 2.15 kB · 9 downloads

is <key>Vendor1002Device73ff</key> in RX6600 or 6600XT.....

73FF is Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600/6600 XT/6600M]

73BF is Navi 21 [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slice said:

If you have AMD Radeon graphics card then no problem. Not HD4000.

I I don't think AMD Radeon it will help him too much. He need AVX2 instruction. I tried with RX 570 on Ivy and doesn't work.

"Due to this, machines that lack the AVX2.0 instructions (ie. pre-Haswell CPUs) can no longer use native GPUs in Ventura as-is. The main affected units would be all discontinued Mac Pros, as they can no longer use socketed cards or eGPUs to retain native graphics acceleration." -> https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/issues/998

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Derty said:

is <key>Vendor1002Device73ff</key> in RX6600 or 6600XT.....

73FF is Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600/6600 XT/6600M]

73BF is Navi 21 [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT]

Then, change it according to your needs. Just if you don't have AGPM on GPU. X86PlatformPlugin is a must for AGPMInjector.kext to work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stefanalmare said:

I I don't think AMD Radeon it will help him too much. He need AVX2 instruction. I tried with RX 570 on Ivy and doesn't work.

"Due to this, machines that lack the AVX2.0 instructions (ie. pre-Haswell CPUs) can no longer use native GPUs in Ventura as-is. The main affected units would be all discontinued Mac Pros, as they can no longer use socketed cards or eGPUs to retain native graphics acceleration." -> https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/issues/998

AVX2 is not blocking problem

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Slice said:

AVX2 is not blocking problem

Can anyone confirm that applied these whose Ivy Bridge hackintoshs e.g. Z77 can boot Ventura now ?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

Then, change it according to your needs...

Yes, I changed device-id to 73FF within AGPMInjector and so I have AGPMClient under dGPU in IOReg with MacPro7,1. But as I said earlier, GeekBench 5 scores drop clearly (50000 - 60000).

MacPro7,1 with Henbury patch with or without AGPMInjector also works fine, GB 5 scores also 50000 - 60000.

MacPro7,1 with softPowerPlayTable got from Windows without AGPMInjector and without Henbury patch is the best setting for me, GB 5 scores are as expected (70000 - 85000) and temps drop 10-15º. But it's the hardest way.

Note: all referred to Ventura, WhateverGreen included.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 6

On 8/13/2022 at 7:11 PM, Slice said:

In this thread some users noticed high CPU load under Ventura. The reason of high temps is not in climate change, the reason  is in bad tuned Ventura.

I have same high cpu load problem too

any solution for this issue

i think it is bug in ventura

3 hours ago, ameenjuz said:

I have same high cpu load problem too

any solution for this issue

i think it is bug in ventura

I have no solution because I have no such problem so this is not a bug of Ventura originally. I have to propose it is new ACPI reading by Ventura. It may depends on your hardware, your BIOS or your bootloader config.

Can anyone confirm the correct framebuffer for an i7-9750H with UHD 630 graphics?

I have been using 3EA50000 for ages but trying to get HDMI working. Someone on reddit said I should use 0900A53E for framebuffer and device-id as 9B3E0000?

Hi @Pavo  I have some doubts in hackinabox

I have studied your hackinabox tutorial a bit:

https://github.com/Pavo-IM/Hackinabox

I have had unraid for years, and thanks to your tutorial I have managed to have monterey 12.5 functional and install beta 5 of ventura... passing the GPU to the VM, works great... but in ventura the USBs don't work for me......none :(  

Is it necessary to have a USB pci controller and pass it to the VM??

My motherboard has all USBs in the same group

287427738_CapturadePantalla2022-08-15alas16_55_20.thumb.png.04a55b5c96c52d7ef98ea05b2a5413d0.png

In moneterey I manually pass the mouse, keyboard and bluetooth and they work (USB2.0 no hot plug), but in Ventura they don't... I get to the welcome screen to configure and I can't... I can only do it through VNC because for that I don't need to assign USBs

It is that monterey works very well, if ventura works like this virtualized, it would be wonderful.

Yesterday I had a windows virtual machine running for games while installing ventura, it's nice and fun.. 😄

I have several GPUs, I assign one to MacOS and one to windows and I have both systems running at the same time.

Thanks 🙇‍♂️

Edited by PoMpIs

32 minutes ago, PoMpIs said:

Hi @Pavo  I have some doubts in hackinabox

I have studied your hackinabox tutorial a bit:

https://github.com/Pavo-IM/Hackinabox

I have had unraid for years, and thanks to your tutorial I have managed to have monterey 12.5 functional and install beta 5 of ventura... passing the GPU to the VM, works great... but in ventura the USBs don't work for me......none :(  

Is it necessary to have a USB pci controller and pass it to the VM??

My motherboard has all USBs in the same group

287427738_CapturadePantalla2022-08-15alas16_55_20.thumb.png.04a55b5c96c52d7ef98ea05b2a5413d0.png

In moneterey I manually pass the mouse, keyboard and bluetooth and they work (USB2.0 no hot plug), but in Ventura they don't... I get to the welcome screen to configure and I can't... I can only do it through VNC because for that I don't need to assign USBs

It is that monterey works very well, if ventura works like this virtualized, it would be wonderful.

Yesterday I had a windows virtual machine running for games while installing ventura, it's nice and fun.. 😄

I have several GPUs, I assign one to MacOS and one to windows and I have both systems running at the same time.

Thanks 🙇‍♂️

I have always passed through USB controllers. Never had any luck with passing through only ports myself. If all your USB Controllers are in one IOMMU group there isn’t much you can do unless you can update your AGESA (which only comes in BIOs updates) which might break them up into individual groups.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pavo said:

I have always passed through USB controllers. Never had any luck with passing through only ports myself. If all your USB Controllers are in one IOMMU group there isn’t much you can do unless you can update your AGESA (which only comes in BIOs updates) which might break them up into individual groups.

It already seemed to me that you had to pass a USB controller to the VM... 😄

Well, at least in monterey it works, I just passed these devices manually and everything is fine, even the apple trackpad works perfectly via bluetooth...

The motherboard bios is updated to the latest version.

I'm using the Asus B660F Gaming, it's not a very good board for virtualizing because the USBs are all in the same group... but if I put a PCIe USB controller on it I wouldn't have any problems, and the board's USBs in the VMs Windows and Linux work perfectly, so I still do it and port the entire unraid system that until now I had as a NAS with an older computer

Thank you very much :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by PoMpIs