[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

"Additional information regarding AVX-based requirements

Although swapping dyld shared caches from Apple Silicon works to boot Ventura on pre-Haswell Macs, other aspects of the system require instructions found in the AVX and AVX2.0 sets.

As reported by a patch developer, Syncretic, in this MacRumors forum:

As usual, I'm juggling 17 things plus a wedding this weekend, so I don't have time to address this properly yet. However, I can report that my preliminary scans (which are still running as I type this) of the Ventura Beta 1 are finding a lot of AVX+ code - more than in previous releases, and spread among more components (including preboot, video drivers (including AMD), Finder, Dock, and other essential areas).

After finishing the scan, "it found 1,680,140 AVX+ instructions in 172 files."

We can additionally gather that Syncretic's findings on AMD graphics drivers is true, and that the drivers now depend on AVX2.0. Until a solution can be found, pre-Haswell Macs cannot gain graphical acceleration at all in Ventura, even with a supported graphics card."

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/issues/998

Edited by Stefanalmare
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

I didn't use Apple ID, used what I use to logon to the P/C which is different.

You have to put it in lower case letters, even if you have Capital letters you must use Lower Case letters, that was the mistake I was making as I have Upper and Lower Case Letters in my Admin Logon P/W to unlock the machine.

Yes, it works.. 😄

Thanks a lot

• Like 2

9 hours ago, matgeo said:

With Beta 2 I'm facing sleep issues.

Pmset -g shows "sleep prevented by runningboardd" ad my laptop never goes to sleep.

This never happened in beta 1 or Monterey.

Anyone else with the same problem or a solution?

On my Alderlake board beta 2 runs fine but sleep is not working right in the sense that the system immediately wakes up. Found out that this problem is gone when the quirk ForceAquantiaEthernet is turned off. But then I have no internet also not optimal :). Does anyone here have an idea what could cause this? And more importantly a solution? Running OpenCore version 0.8.2 on a ProArt Z690 Creator Wifi.

Edited by BarryBar
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, BarryBar said:

On my Alderlake board beta 2 runs fine but sleep is not working right in the sense that the system immediately wakes up. Found out that this problem is gone when the quirk ForceAquantiaEthernet is turned off. But then I have no internet also not optimal :). Does anyone here have an idea what could cause this? And more importantly a solution? Running OpenCore version 0.8.2 on a ProArt Z690 Creator Wifi.

I solved the sleep problem in my Alder Lake by mapping the USBs, since then it works fine... (My b660 board has Asmedia 107x Hubs which MacOS doesn't like very much)

but in beta 2 it doesn't go to sleep on its own :(  .... it does if I put it to sleep manually...

In beta 1 sleep works perfectly

Another thing that I have detected in beta 2 is that the option to put the disks to sleep disappears:

Beta 1: 

QzJ5sT9.png

Beta 2:  

1q6ErBM.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PoMpIs said:

Another thing that I have detected in beta 2 is that the option to put the disks to sleep disappears:

It's ok here. Plug in your Installer USB (any one you have) no need to reboot or boot off it and look at your Energy Saver panel again and see if the missing option appears.

Spoiler

1211531299_Screenshot2022-06-24at15_52_18.png.00f502519f97212d146a707efc3fa396.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, eSaF said:

It's ok here. Plug in your Installer USB (any one you have) no need to reboot or boot off it and look at your Energy Saver panel again and see if the missing option appears.

Reveal hidden contents

1211531299_Screenshot2022-06-24at15_52_18.png.00f502519f97212d146a707efc3fa396.png

ahh!!!

so yes it has appeared again😆 

YvjX6rZ.png

It only fails that it goes to sleep automatically in beta 2 😅

Thanks a lot 

Edited by PoMpIs
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

@Matgen84

if you have another macOS installed on that rig use the username and password for that macOS.

@Cyberdevs

I don't have another macOS installed. Before clean install, I erase my HDD from macOS installer to APFS format.

Guest 5T33Z0

I wouldn't clean install every beta update. It's a waste of time and disk longevity, imo. Do it once the GM version drops. But before that I don't really see a point in it. I think incremental updates are suffiecent for the beta phase. Especially since the system section and the user section are pretty much isolated from each other now, so the whole update process is pretty clean nowadays. I can only recall one incremental update ever causing issues. It was a security Update for Catalina and affected HD4000 drivers for Ivy Bridge. it was an issue with the code itself which would still be there even when performing a clean install.

Edited by 5T33Z0

2 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

@Cyberdevs

I don't have another macOS installed. Before clean install, I erase my HDD from macOS installer to APFS format.

What about the EFI partition is there an oc version on your APFS formatted disk?

8 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

@Cyberdevs

I tried to install without any other osx present ... it doesn't work 😞

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/351969-pre-release-macos-ventura/?do=findComment&comment=2786993

And anyway, it's all lowercase letters

765140781_Screenshot2022-06-24alle18_26_20.png.372c1e03d255c45f9fb2dcaaf13e1054.png

IMG_20220624_121343.thumb.jpg.57f56cf30c

Edited by antuneddu
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi @eSaF @aben

Clean Install Beta 2 on Z390 config: I try inputting my macOS home folder name for Admin user in all lower caps: no success 😔 I test several combination without result.

Remember like I said you have to use all lower letters, also if you have something like  Mat-gen84, you have to include all but like this mat-gen84. What ever Admin P/W you use must be entered in lower case letters. If you have another Disk with Monterey and a different Admin P/W try that but use the format in lower case regardless how you usually enter it.

@eSaF

I'm trying to install beta 2..

I have removed all my disks, I have put a new disk and it is impossible to start the installation

8D1D95A1-BF52-46E0-8936-270A18C4D491.thumb.jpeg.d4d8da215697cf3e759b60ecf29657a6.jpeg

If I put the ssd that has the previous MacOS installation if my user works....

Edited by PoMpIs
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I wouldn't clean install betas. It's a waste of time and disk longevity, imo.

I agree as you statement has merit worth thinking about, but I remember in the past carrying forward glitches or misalignments from one Beta to the next with incremental updates hence why I like to do clean Beta Installs from time to time. Actually I do advocate clean Installs for GM versions and official releases. Also if some of us didn't attempt to clean install Ventura Beta 2, we wouldn't know about this Admin P/W to be entered when choosing the install disk whether it is a Beta bug or not at this stage. You do have a valid point though, preserving the life to the Drive.

@PoMpIs - Think of all the Admin P/Ws' you used to install OS X lately plus what you are currently using to log into the machine at boot up (not your Apple ID unless you use that as well to unlock your machine).

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

What about the EFI partition is there an oc version on your APFS formatted disk?

There is only Clover both HDD and USB Installer 

9 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Remember like I said you have to use all lower letters, also if you have something like  Mat-gen84, you have to include all but like this mat-gen84. What ever Admin P/W you use must be entered in lower case letters. If you have another Disk with Monterey and a different Admin P/W try that but use the format in lower case regardless how you usually enter it.

I try again and again using lower case format, without success like mathieu (usual admin user name) 🤔 

• Sad 2

This means that if I buy a new computer I cannot install Beta 2 macOS because I can never spend that part by not having an previous installation. ??

I have put the old SSD again with ventura installed and the beta 2 installer has already worked😆

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PoMpIs said:

This means that if I buy a new computer I cannot install Beta 2 macOS because I can never spend that part by not having an previous installation. ??

I am sure this is not intentional by Apple (he says hoping) and is just a Beta bug.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Sono d'accordo sul fatto che la tua affermazione abbia meriti su cui vale la pena pensare, ma ricordo che in passato ho portato avanti problemi tecnici o disallineamenti da una beta all'altra con aggiornamenti incrementali, quindi perché mi piace eseguire installazioni beta pulite di tanto in tanto. In realtà sostengo installazioni pulite per le versioni GM e le versioni ufficiali. Inoltre, se alcuni di noi non hanno tentato di pulire l'installazione di Ventura Beta 2, non sapremmo di questo P/W amministratore da inserire quando si sceglie il disco di installazione se si tratta di un bug Beta o meno in questa fase. Tuttavia, hai un punto valido, preservare la vita al Drive.

@PoMpIs - Pensa a tutti i P/W di amministrazione che hai utilizzato per installare OS X di recente, più a ciò che stai attualmente utilizzando per accedere alla macchina all'avvio (non al tuo ID Apple a meno che non lo usi anche per sbloccare la tua macchina).

nope without another disk with osx on you can't install V .beta 2 ... ridiculous

• Like 1

@eSaFI have tried with everyone name and password……  without a SSD on the computer that already has macOS installed it is impossible to move from that 😄

Edited by PoMpIs
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

nope without another disk with osx on you can't install V .beta 2 ... ridiculous

But I did with my SSD Test Disk whilst Ventura was on a M.2 Drive and in the machine as well as my Windows M.2 also.

In my installs before I reach the Desktop I always enter my Admin Credentials as eSaF-Eddie but OS X in the box below for the second repeat entry also, changes it to esaf-eddie no matter if I try to change it to how I entered it in the first box, it will always revert to lower case characters which was the mistake I was making with the Beta 2 Test clean install until I change it to how OS X formatted it.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, eSaF said:

But I did with my SSD Test Disk whilst Ventura was on a M.2 Drive and in the machine as well as my Windows M.2 also.

Try to install it on your SSD Test Disk, without any other drive present :hysterical:

• Haha 2

If you have another SSD with macOS installed if it works, even Monterey,

Without that, beta 2 does not work, you can't install

There is no choice but to use beta 1 if you don't have a previous installation and update Beta 2

image.thumb.jpg.d32624750651acc0ca8421e521713950.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

Try to install it on your SSD Test Disk, without any other drive present :hysterical:

Ok will give it a try and report. I will not take the drives out as it is too much, just eliminate them in the BIOS.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Ok will give it a try and report. I will not take the drives out as it is too much, just eliminate them in the BIOS.

If you also have the option in the bios to disable the units (which is great) it's easy to try ... so I did 🙂

• Like 1