[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ndungu6678 said:

I am actually using latest O.C 0.8.2! as you can confirm from Hackintool below- yes bootstrap was removed long ago but you can still enable it if you know how- I intentionally enabled it -using RequestBootVarRouting=YES in OC 0.8.2 in the UEFI settings,. My SMBIOS iMac 20,2 is detects my i5 9400F as a 6 core Comet Lake i9 on its own! from way back in Monterey and Big Sur without any spoofing- the only spoofing changes I made were to insert new Cupid1Mask and Cupid1Data values for Alder lake processors recently when experimenting-:

image.thumb.png.05b879743cd11cabee4caac24261ddec.png

Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 12.56.17 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 1.02.29 PM.png

I know what you're saying here - but that is CPU spoofing you are doing right there.

Well value you have above for the so-called Álder Lake' processor is actually Comet Lake i9! I know as I was the one of the first few to find

that and post that particular value on my Z490 guides for High Sierra/Catalina. As for the CPU values the system does derive it from the SMBIOS.
Which is why when choosing a SMBIOS you have to find one that a) matches the processor to the best similar-specced Mac model and b) find

one that also matches the graphics card line-up as some of the more basic SMBIOSes doesn't have a DGPU (which is why they'll crash on boot).

• Like 1

With my 4770k in sign I now have the following settings: AvoidRuntimeDefrag = true, iMac18,3 + spoof CPU with Clover FakeCPUID = 906E9 (7700K). 

Now I get an instant reboot with both Ventura and Monterey. With Monterey no longer hanging.

Hopefully this means that I have gone 1 step further, and now with a good CPU + SMBIOS combo, can try and fix this problem, and maybe then it can boot?

I don't know, am I trying something stupid? Should I try another SMBIOS + CPU fake combination? Anyone knows how to fix the reboot issue and/or why it happens? 

Lets see if we can solve the issue :) 

2 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

@aben

I made all the changes but still the same error 😏

Ok, try enabling one more quirk along with the others mentioned earlier: MaxBIOSVersion under PlatformInfo --> Generic. I had this enabled as well while getting to install macOS 13.

1 hour ago, ghost8282 said:

Hi Pavo, pinging directly as it seems we are a few people here discussing how to run mac os in kvm+qemu.

In my case AvoidRuntimeDefrag set to false made me proceed a little bit further, I was able to get to the graphical installer with iMacPro1,1 smbios, but I'm still not able to boot, the os reboots 2 times during installation, all ok, it creates and install files on the 'Ventura/Macintosh-hd' hd, then either hangs (with passed through gpu) with nothing useful in the log:

AmiShimTimerBoostExit changed current period to 100000

or with qxl/vnc only it bootloops at the same step instead of hanging.

I'm passing through 2 sandy bridge cpus, maybe the issue is there I really don't know, maybe some fixes to opencore are needed.

Did you make any progress?

Btw, for others, AvoidRuntimeDefrag=false is able to boot monterey disk, but not the ventura installer, nor complete the installation

Using latest ovmf from audk repo, sync with edk2 stable 202202

Unfortunately I couldn’t get it to boot when using the normal OVMF, but when switched to OVMF TP version, it would boot but would reboot without a panic on drive selection. Still testing varies things without success right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess the issue is a combination of serval things and related to VirualSMC (Apple's SMC needs to be updated) and the nvram. The SMBIOS settings also need to be updated as well:

Here's the data from the 2017 iMac I tested yesterday:

Apple iMac 2017:

System Firmware Version: 451.120.7.0.0

OS Loader Version: 540.120.3~6

SMC Version (system): 2.41f2

and here is the data from iMac18,3 SMBIOS generated by OCC:

Hackintosh:

System Firmware Version: 447.80.3.0.0

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Hackintosh:

Hi, please see/use latest version of oc from the repo or dortania, databases were updated, in your case for imac18,3 are now:

BIOSVersion: "451.120.7.0.0"
BIOSLegacyVersion: "IM183.88Z.F000.B00.2203161719"
BIOSReleaseDate: "03/16/2022"

42 minutes ago, Pavo said:

but when switched to OVMF TP version

Nice thought!

Tried also the tpm version, compiled edk2 202205 (which I'm using in a windows 11 vm); there's no difference in my case compared to audk 202202 with no tpm support.

It always hangs in the log at:

12:145 00:043 OCSMC: SmcReadValue Key 4D535463 Size 1
12:151 00:005 OCSMC: SmcReadValue Key 4D534163 Size 2
12:158 00:007 AmiShimTimerBoostExit changed current period to 100000

:blowup:

Edited by ghost8282

7 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

I guess the issue is a combination of serval things and related to VirualSMC (Apple's SMC needs to be updated) and the nvram. The SMBIOS settings also need to be updated as well:

Here's the data from the 2017 iMac I tested yesterday:

Apple iMac 2017:

System Firmware Version: 451.120.7.0.0

Hackintosh:

Do you possibly have other macOS volumes present on the drive you wish to install macOS 13 to? If so, I would suggest adding an APFS-container partition rather than a volume. You should be prompted with something like this to achieve this:

image.png.0e35c7a06224af9f19886e6ec90deb63.png 

@ghost8282

Thanks for the info but I've already tried that.

@aben

Actually yes, I tried the clean install method and I even I ran the installer from an exiting macOS and once it was done the Ventura boot process nags about nvram and then stops at AppleSMC and then reboots.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

macOS Ventura: The Unreachable Adventure LOL.

Watching this thread closely. I'm sure a solution will come by in the next few days.

That is -- if the solution is not something very simple, maybe just a setting we forgot to enable or disable in config plist -- and it's been hiding under our noses....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm also following this thread closely, anyone knows if still there are Kexts for Radeon R9 Series in macOS Ventura? I'm running a R9 380 and i7 4790 in Monterey, and I'm curious to know if maybe I'm on a "Dead End"... 😕

6 hours ago, miliuco said:

To all who have tried on a 300 series without success-

This is what I have tried so far:

• OC 0.8.2 with latest Lilu, VirtualSMC and WG
  • AvoidRuntimeDefrag y/n
  • AdviseFeatures y/n
  • SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 / iMac20,2 / MacPro7,1
  • SSDT-PMC.aml y/n
  • Combinations of all options.

AvoidRuntimeDefrag disabled + AdviseFeatures disabled + iMac20,2 + SSDT-PMC enabled is the combination with which the installation program goes the furthest but never reaches the language selection.

Miliuco,

Just remembered - did you add a UEFI driver for the Aptio memory to this and if so which one?

35 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Actually yes, I tried the clean install method and I even I ran the installer from an exiting macOS and once it was done the Ventura boot process nags about nvram and then stops at AppleSMC and then reboots.

I too had experienced this same issue during my initial trials, with the system rebooting right after this AppleSMC error log shown post final install phases, however this occurrence was a one-timer after which I remember having to include -vsmcbeta along with the other settings I mentioned earlier for successful boot right away. I've since had success installing macOS 13 one more time during which I saw no errors; both installations were performed on the same drive and was accomplished using the same macOS 13 install.app via macOS 12 (had to arrange for an additional EFI source with AvoidRuntimeDefrag off so that install would complete after reboot); the first attempt was a direct upgrade to pre-installed macOS 12 APFS partition and the second was a clean install directed to the same APFS partition that was formatted, the second time was a breeze.

Suggestion: Try create new APFS partition not volume (click CMD+2 to enable Show All Devices view while in Disk Utility and tap on the root Drive to create partition; preferably through macOS 12 recovery) and use macOS 13 install.app to direct a clean install onto that partition through an internal macOS volume on same drive. Do ensure you are booting with AvoidRuntimeDefrag ON while initiating the install for proper NVRAM handovers and when the first restart is being initiated, be ready to boot off an EFI with AvoidRuntimeDefrag off. These were the steps I followed for successful installation OR you can wait it out till Acidanthera team comes with a fix to improve NVRAM compatibility for Ventura.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Middleman said:

I know what you're saying here - but that is CPU spoofing you are doing right there.

Well value you have above for the so-called Álder Lake' processor is actually Comet Lake i9! I know as I was the one of the first few to find

that and post that particular value on my Z490 guides for High Sierra/Catalina. As for the CPU values the system does derive it from the SMBIOS.
Which is why when choosing a SMBIOS you have to find one that a) matches the processor to the best similar-specced Mac model and b) find

one that also matches the graphics card line-up as some of the more basic SMBIOSes doesn't have a DGPU (which is why they'll crash on boot).

Sorry got that all wrong- thanks for the the correction

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghost8282 said:

Nice thought!

Tried also the tpm version, compiled edk2 202205 (which I'm using in a windows 11 vm); there's no difference in my case compared to audk 202202 with no tpm support.

Can you share your compiled versions of audk 202202 OVMF?

22 minutes ago, Middleman said:

... Just remembered - did you add a UEFI driver for the Aptio memory to this and if so which one?

No, I haven't tried aptio memory driver yet, I think it will not be very compatible with OpenCore 0.8.2.

Tried the other advises that you posted (-no_compat_check, max kernel, -lilubetall...) with no luck.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Pavo said:

Can you share your compiled versions of audk 202202 OVMF?

Sure, these are ovmf files (from audk), no tpm support.

As said these are synced with edk2 stable 202202 with some commits from acidanthera (edk2-->audk); I think that soon new commits will be available to sync with the latest edk2 202205.

OVMF_AUDK_202202-06-03-2022.zip

Attaching also v 202205 from edk2 (no tpm support) and edk2 202205 with tpm support.

ovmf-stable-202205.zip ovmf-tpm-stable-202205.zip

Edited by ghost8282

Will try something different.

Someone on reddit said their installer froze at the 12 minute mark, as mine did.

But that turning on "AdviseFeatures" in config plist prevent the installer from hanging.

I didn't try a fresh install with that quirk enabled.

Worth the attempt.

Edited by PropoFlexWX4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyberdevs said:

@prcmelo

From what I can see there are no kext for 300 series available your device is using AMD9000Controller.kext which is absent in macOS Ventura. I guess only 400 series and above are supported.

@Cyberdevs Thank you! SO I guess that's the end of Hack to me, will be keep using Monterey, anyway is better than back to Windows 11 which is also killing old PCs like mine.

• Sad 1

No, no, no, :wallbash: I tried almost everything I can think of as well as following @aben tips and ideas but to no avail. As you can see from the attached pics it gave me false hopes that it was going to go through but then it stalled part way through the second boot with 'An error occurred preparing the Software update'. Now I don't know if during the process it tries to grab extra files from Apple but at that point I noticed the Wireless Icon has a slash through it and as much as I try to connect, it will not.

So for the moment I am giving the trials a pass after pulling an all nighter trying different ideas, BTW this effort is from a clean install as I thought I would have a better chance than with an update which I already tried with no success. :(

Spoiler

313625590_IMG_0546copy.thumb.jpg.e2f6c81f98de01ede3b56bb6dbeb81a7.jpgIMG_0547.thumb.jpg.10aa0289b8ac0bc0c33926a81d6de44e.jpg

• Sad 6

36 minutes ago, ndungu6678 said:

Sorry got that all wrong- thanks for the the correction

You're welcome. However I have one more thing to say to you...

I had a look at your config.plist for the setup. To be absolutely frank, I don't know how your machine ever managed to boot because it has so many errors!

It is how can I say, very messy sadly. You've got way too many SSDTs plus ACPI patches in the list. Your device properties list is also very long as is your kexts list (there's a Firewire driver in there and the Intel IGPU device properties has been mixed into the same PCIRoot address as a RX580). As well as having a DSDT.aml (which is a no-no) you've even got laptop trackpad SSDTs in your desktop build! Not forgetting, you've also got a big EFI drivers list and enabled more than 4 HFS efi drivers including HFSLegacy (only need one). Plus also enabled a bunch of USB port maps and XHCI kexts (you should only use ever ONE USB map kext not many, and only ONE XHCI kext added if required for one particular generation of motherboard (denoted by either Z200 or Z300 series - not three including the XHCI for the X99 board). If you don't take some of those out you could well run and burn out and overheat your system at some point because it is improperly configured.

That said, I am intrigued at what has caused your machine to boot. And I see you do have a couple of interesting kexts installed some of which I've not ever seen used before:

SIPManager.kext
EFICheckDisabler.kext
DebugEnhancer.kext
Innie.kext
AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext (I've only seen this working on AMD Ryzen setups so far, not Intel)
FeatureUnlock.kext
RTCMemoryFixup.kext

29 minutes ago, Middleman said:

You're welcome. However I have one more thing to say to you...

I had a look at your config.plist for the setup. To be absolutely frank, I don't know how your machine ever managed to boot because it has so many errors!

It is how can I say, very messy sadly. You've got way too many SSDTs plus ACPI patches in the list. Your device properties list is also very long as is your kexts list (there's a Firewire driver in there and the Intel IGPU device properties has been mixed into the same PCIRoot address as a RX580). As well as having a DSDT.aml (which is a no-no) you've even got laptop trackpad SSDTs in your desktop build! Not forgetting, you've also got a big EFI drivers list and enabled more than 4 HFS efi drivers including HFSLegacy (only need one). Plus also enabled a bunch of USB port maps and XHCI kexts (you should only use ever ONE USB map kext not many, and only ONE XHCI kext added if required for one particular generation of motherboard (denoted by either Z200 or Z300 series - not three including the XHCI for the X99 board). If you don't take some of those out you could well run and burn out and overheat your system at some point because it is improperly configured.

That said, I am intrigued at what has caused your machine to boot. And I see you do have a couple of interesting kexts installed some of which I've not ever seen used before:

SIPManager.kext
EFICheckDisabler.kext
DebugEnhancer.kext
Innie.kext
AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext (I've only seen this working on AMD Ryzen setups so far, not Intel)
FeatureUnlock.kext
RTCMemoryFixup.kext

I feel embarrassed by your observations- as I said beforeI am no guru and have absolutely no coding experience-i accept i have used a trial and error approach without any real logic to boot my hacks over the last few years- should have been more careful to follow the strict guidelines governing proper EFI construction-as I can see my settings do not help anyone to find the correct settings guess even make it more difficult for one  to sift through my inexcusable mess I call  my EFI - now wish I never posted my configplist to start with-just want to learn from experts like you-i also don't know why my machine is booting Ventura-i will try and make all the fixes you suggest to improve-sorry again for so many mistakes

Edited by ndungu6678
  • Like 2