OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,809 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Why using BootCamp on a PC in the first place? You don't need to emulate anything.

BootCamp creates the environment necessary for real Macs to run Windows. A PC will run Windows natively. So no need for BootCamp.

@anmool

If You had only 1 single drive formatted for your OSX ( APFS or HFS+ ), you would need to use bootcamp to allow the installation of Windows alongside OSX. Unless you prefer the use of a virtual Machine.

I choose to have a dedicated drive with Windows that you "bless" thru OpenCore, via ENTRIES. Safer & simpler. You'd only need to find the path of your dedicated windows drive & voila:
Everything works.

Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 10.52.32 AM.png

Screen ShoT.png

Edited by Ellybz

Hi,

I have been trying to get my first hackintosh working for over 30 hours now and I am loosing my sanity.
I spent most of my time with Clover but always had errors. I finally tried OpenCore and quickly got into the install but then got the 5700 visual glitches during install.
I managed to "guess" where the buttons are on screen and managed to install Catalina !

I must have missed some Kext as I got no ethernet. I went into the libraries and I can't see the Intel Ethernet. 
I read a guide to use Hackintool to install Kext, but there don't seem to get installed.
Apparently this is due needed to enable SIP and I need to "CsrActiveConfig to 0x0 "

-I am currently stuck on this part as all the solutions I saw require Clover to enable SIP.

-I am also confused on how to install an Opencore bootloader so that I don't need the USB key anymore.

Thanks a ton for any help !

On 10/28/2019 at 6:53 AM, n.d.k said:

try copy this config.plist setting for ivybridge board.

OK, this worked!  I didn't use the whole file but I copied over a number of the flags.  I also noticed that I had "vanderpool technology" (the good kind of virtualization) turned off in UEFI.  However, I think the flags relating to "slide", i.e. osxaptiofix2 or whatever, are what I needed.  

This got me booted but sound isn't working.  Also, I continue to have an issue with the OpenCore menu taking a very very long time (multiple minutes) to appear.  I tried setting a more restrictive  ScanPolicy (SATA, USB, APFS, HFS, 0x2010303 or something like that) and while it accepts the flags as valid, this did not reduce how long it takes to get to the menu.

Help is, as always, appreciated.

EDIT: Between turning off Windows 8 Secure Boot and having OC reset NVRAM, either that or disabling nearly all the various drives I had attached, I got it to go very quickly to the boot menu.  However now it's not showing the installer... trying 0.53 and the new 10.15.1 install APP...

Edited by birdbird
progress!

2 hours ago, onemanOSX said:

Mind sharing how you figured out the path? Thanks.

There are several ways to do this. You can use
1- the shell Method proposed by @DaGr8Gatzby. It will save the path in a "maps.text" inside your ESP Partition. 

2 - Thru Clover Bootloader, selecting the drive , hitting spacebar for the path infos ( Some dashes might be reversed & need to be corrected; see my ex. below ), or booting thru Clover,  using CloverConfig -> Bootlog

3 - Via OC Bootlog, ( you'll need the debug version not the release ); however only the second part of the path appears in the log. in my case OC log only showed this part:

HD(1,GPT,4C15DB92-F532-11E9-AF6E-E172391D34E9,0x800,0xFA000)/\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

This is the full path for my SSD Drive allocated to Windows:

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x17,0x0)/Sata(0x1,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(1,GPT,4C15DB92-F532-11E9-AF6E-E172391D34E9,0x800,0xFA000)/\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

PS: OC Scan needs to allow NTFS. Unless you're using"0" .

Edited by Ellybz

13 hours ago, Andrey1970 said:

Few questions here:

1. Is this for dedicated GPUs, as well? So...basically, all I have to add is key=APPL00,override-no-connect with value=[my custom EDID] to PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) which is my dedicated GPU?

2. Does OC come with drivers built-in? Or...how is someone supposed to get those?

Thing is, after upgrading to OC 0.5.3 I can't boot anymore. Get stuck at the Apple logo. It used to work perfectly fine before (I think I had version 0.5.0 or something). I'm assuming it could be a driver issue... but if you have a better idea, please, let me know.

3. How can I test if the custom EDID has actually been injected?

4. Assuming this is not a driver issue and it's my mistake, could you, please, let me know if these errors are intended?

Ran 280 tests in 1.374s

OK
Error in sitecustomize; set PYTHONVERBOSE for traceback:
ValueError: unknown locale: UTF-8
Build environment: Darwin-19.0.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Build start time: 09:58:10, Nov.09 2019

WORKSPACE        = /Users/jimmy/Desktop/OpenCorePkg-master/UDK
EDK_TOOLS_PATH   = /Users/jimmy/Desktop/OpenCorePkg-master/UDK/BaseTools
CONF_PATH        = /Users/jimmy/Desktop/OpenCorePkg-master/UDK/Conf
PYTHON_COMMAND   = /usr/bin/python3

Architecture(s)  = X64
Build target     = DEBUG

Processing meta-data Toolchain        = XCODE5
Active Platform          = /Users/jimmy/Desktop/OpenCorePkg-master/UDK/OpenCorePkg/OpenCorePkg.dsc
. done!

I kept getting these when building OC.

Edited by arsradu

16 hours ago, Ellybz said:

@anmool

If You had only 1 single drive formatted for your OSX ( APFS or HFS+ ), you would need to use bootcamp to allow the installation of Windows alongside OSX. Unless you prefer the use of a virtual Machine.

I choose to have a dedicated drive with Windows that you "bless" thru OpenCore, via ENTRIES. Safer & simpler. You'd only need to find the path of your dedicated windows drive & voila:
Everything works.

Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 10.52.32 AM.png

Screen ShoT.png

looks great.

may i know your scanpolicy?  is it 2689795 ?

also seems you disable Entries for OSX right? and deleted REC for both osx ?

thanks

Edited by iTTT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Few questions here:

1. Is this for dedicated GPUs, as well? So...basically, all I have to add is key=APPL00,override-no-connect with value=[my custom EDID] to PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) which is my dedicated GPU?

2. Does OC come with drivers built-in? Or...how is someone supposed to get those?

Thing is, after upgrading to OC 0.5.3 I can't boot anymore. Get stuck at the Apple logo. It used to work perfectly fine before (I think I had version 0.5.0 or something). I'm assuming it could be a driver issue... but if you have a better idea, please, let me know.

3. How can I test if the custom EDID has actually been injected?

4. Assuming this is not a driver issue and it's my mistake, could you, please, let me know if these errors are intended?

Ran 280 tests in 1.374s

OK
Build environment: Darwin-19.0.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Build start time: 09:58:10, Nov.09 2019

WORKSPACE        = /Users/jimmy/Desktop/OpenCorePkg-master/UDK
EDK_TOOLS_PATH   = /Users/jimmy/Desktop/OpenCorePkg-master/UDK/BaseTools
CONF_PATH        = /Users/jimmy/Desktop/OpenCorePkg-master/UDK/Conf
PYTHON_COMMAND   = /usr/bin/python3

Architecture(s)  = X64
Build target     = DEBUG

Processing meta-data Toolchain        = XCODE5
Active Platform          = /Users/jimmy/Desktop/OpenCorePkg-master/UDK/OpenCorePkg/OpenCorePkg.dsc
. done!

Those error are caused by using Python 3, you can just ignore them, it will go away when OC update their edk2.

If you get stuck at Apple Logo right after updating your OC version, a hard reboot would get it going again. 

On 10/30/2019 at 8:39 PM, Andrey1970 said:

@Elende

Don't use UsbKbDxe.efi and KeySupport=yes at the same time.

Delete UsbKbDxe.efi or set all NO in Input section. (Decide as works for you better.)

Replace VBoxHfs.efi on HfsPlus.efi

VBoxHfs.efi it is license it is pure, but it is very slow therefore problems with boot RecoveryHD (dmg).

good day Andrey1970,

i use apple wired keyboard and must need to UsbKbDxe.efi to make AppleHotKeys (like CMD + V ....) available during PC is turned on.

but i have one issue , if i select SHELL, then keyboard will auto input the same keys in command line or its hard to input the correct key in command line.

any solution to prevent keyboard to auto input in shell command line?

thanks.

@iTTT, I am afraid we did not understand you. Could you be more descriptive on what happens, perhaps make a video or something…

Is it the following?

1. You hold CMD+V before starting OpenCore

2. You release it

3. You launch OpenCore Shell

4. A number of v keys appears in shell input, i.e. you see:

Shell> vvvvvvvvvvvv

If so, I cannot imagine why would you do that, and it feels kind of expected to me?

5 hours ago, arsradu said:

. done!

https://coderwall.com/p/-k_93g/mac-os-x-valueerror-unknown-locale-utf-8-in-python

(Would be different with ZSH)

Edited by Badruzeus
  • Like 1

@vit9696, Thank you for your efforts with the Configuration PDF and the Docs.

If I could make a suggestion regarding sample.plist:

Have it defaulting to logging to screen and to file. Nothing hidden in the sample version booting up.  Cutting back on the logging after you get things up and running is easier for a newbie than searching through all the nuances to get things turned on at the start.

It would also help if you could just install the EFI folder to the hidden EFI partition on a USB Flash and you try to boot that.  If there is nothing for OpenCore to then boot, fine, you get to see the OpenCore log and fix away.

I am really impressed with the development protocol being used with OpenCore.  You folks are more top down than bottom up.  Concurrently generated documentation is really helpful.

Thank you again from a newbie.

• Like 1

Ooook... So, I couldn't get it to boot with OC, and however I try to inject another EDID, doesn't seem to work. Also using the plist from edid-gen.sh from WhateverGreen, under Catalina, doesn't seem to work either since /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-xxxx/ seems to be read-only with no option to authenticate.

So, I don't know if anyone tried to inject a different EDID recently, but using AAPL00,override-no-connect doesn't seem to work anymore. Ooor...maybe I'm doing something wrong.

In short, what I'm trying to achieve here is to force the OS into 8-bit color mode (since the monitor doesn't support full 10-bit; the specs say "10 bit (8-bit + FRC)") in an attempt to fix the infamous screen flashing on boot time with AMD cards. Looks like the issue happens when switching from ARGB8888 (from bios) to ARGB210101010 from the OS. Not sure why it doesn't happen on Windows, or Linux, or any other OS outside of MacOS, but that's beside the point. And even with MacOS, it doesn't always happen. But it does happen 99% of the time.

And since MacOS doesn't have an option to set ARGB8888 from the OS itself...I'm trying to do it from the EDID. Problem is...I can't seem to get the EDID to inject. Either with Clover or OC. And right now, with OC I can't even boot anymore. But I guess I can revert to an older version just to test this part.

Anyway, I just installed High Sierra on a spare HDD, for testing. Just to see if there are any differences. But if you have any clues here, please, let me know. This is an oooold issue. :))

Edited by arsradu

7 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Also using the plist from edid-gen.sh from WhateverGreen, under Catalina, doesn't seem to work either since /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-xxxx/ seems to be read-only with no option to authenticate.

Uhmmmb... guessing, OC does nothing with this APFS read-only system, but Catalina.

Though, we've discussed about this one many times:

sudo mount -uw / && killall Finder

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Badruzeus said:

Uhmmmb... guessing, OC does nothing with this APFS read-only system, but Catalina.

Though, we've discussed about this one many times:

sudo mount -uw / && killall Finder

Yeah, it's not OC's fault. But because of that, I also couldn't inject edid into Displays/Overrides...

Right now I'm on HS. :D Where I can add that DisplayProductID-xxxx.plist after authentication.

Will try the command above when I'm coming back to Catalina. I don't expect it to make any difference. But we'll see. :) At least I don't need to boot into an HDD to test this anymore. So thank you! :) 

52 minutes ago, BiggestCookie said:

@vit9696, Thank you for your efforts with the Configuration PDF and the Docs.

If I could make a suggestion regarding sample.plist:

Have it defaulting to logging to screen and to file. Nothing hidden in the sample version booting up.  Cutting back on the logging after you get things up and running is easier for a newbie than searching through all the nuances to get things turned on at the start.

It would also help if you could just install the EFI folder to the hidden EFI partition on a USB Flash and you try to boot that.  If there is nothing for OpenCore to then boot, fine, you get to see the OpenCore log and fix away.

I am really impressed with the development protocol being used with OpenCore.  You folks are more top down than bottom up.  Concurrently generated documentation is really helpful.

Thank you again from a newbie.

Unfortunately logging to file is slow (way over 5 minutes) on many firmwares when logging to USB flash, so we prefer to keep it off by default.

57 minutes ago, arsradu said:

In short, what I'm trying to achieve here is to force the OS into 8-bit color mode (since the monitor doesn't support full 10-bit; the specs say "10 bit (8-bit + FRC)") in an attempt to fix the infamous screen flashing on boot time with AMD cards.

-rad24

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.Radeon.en.md

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andrey1970 said:

Thank you! :)

While that did (finally!!) make the OS use 24-bit colors (8-bit per channel), the flashing was still there... :( Either I'm doing something wrong, or there's something else I'm missing.

1434804863_Screenshot2019-11-09at16_45_14.thumb.png.53931f7221bff4ff02f4f0176f559b6d.png

Edited by arsradu

34 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Thank you! :)

While that did (finally!!) make the OS use 24-bit colors (8-bit per channel), the flashing was still there... :( Either I'm doing something wrong, or there's something else I'm missing.

1434804863_Screenshot2019-11-09at16_45_14.thumb.png.53931f7221bff4ff02f4f0176f559b6d.png

How do you  to make RX580 in your signature become Radeon Pro 580, flashing? Please tell me. :)

4 hours ago, iTTT said:

good day Andrey1970,

i use apple wired keyboard and must need to UsbKbDxe.efi to make AppleHotKeys (like CMD + V ....) available during PC is turned on.

but i have one issue , if i select SHELL, then keyboard will auto input the same keys in command line or its hard to input the correct key in command line.

any solution to prevent keyboard to auto input in shell command line?

thanks.

I too use apple wired keyboard. Without UsbKbDxe.efi, with Input section:

1253274725_2019-11-0918_19_31.png.262da33de899346b9f1b4634f18b356d.png

And with PollAppleHotKeys Yes

Check the last version OpenCore from master, there were many improvings for keys.

8 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

How do you  to make RX580 in your signature become Radeon Pro 580, flashing? Please tell me. :)

While I think this is mostly cosmetic, you can do this with Device Properties, by adding to your GPU (mine is located at PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) ) the following combination of key + value:

key: model
value: 52616465 6F6E2050 726F2035 3830
type: data

Edited by arsradu
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Andrey1970 said:

@arsradu

Your question doesn't belong to OpenCore.

Write to a topic.

Well, I was thinking maybe there is something OpenCore can do to fix this. So...that's kind of the reason why I was posting here. Sorry about the off-topic.

But anyway, please, feel free to share your thoughts. :) If this is not a good place for that, I'd love to know your opinion in the other thread. So far, I'm out of ideas. So...any help is appreciated.

15 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Well, I was thinking maybe there is something OpenCore can do to fix this. So...that's kind of the reason why I was posting here. Sorry about the off-topic.

But anyway, please, feel free to share your thoughts. :) If this is not a good place for that, I'd love to know your opinion in the other thread. So far, I'm out of ideas. So...any help is appreciated.

I would be nice if that flash issue can be fixed, but i think OC team would have fixed long time ago if they were able to. Some said, it was caused by gpu memory timing test performed by Apple, since it only happen on macOs.

• Like 1