OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,774 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, happy new year from me too!

I would like to ask for those more experienced to kindly provide your ideas/feedback on a couple of issues faced in using OpenCore 0.7.6 on my Intel NUC8 running Catalina 10.15.7 successfully all this time with Clover.

1. I based my config on the successful setup of my other NUC10 that runs OpenCore and BigSur; with a triple-checked config, OpenCore would not see or start booting Catalina on NUC8 for some reason; I found out that UEFI->APFS->MinDate and MinVersion must both be set to -1 to load Catalina, which was then successful. Is this the correct way?

2. With basic settings for NUC8, I was able to boot to Catalina with Misc->Security->SecureBootModel set to Disabled but when I switched it to Default, picker would not even show! With debug version of OpenCore I saw that the last entry in the log writes:

00:293 00:007 OC: Automatic SB model j174 from model Macmini8,1
00:300 00:007 OC: Loading Apple Secure Boot with j174 (level 1)
00:311 00:010 OC: Failed to bootstrap SB NVRAM values - Invalid Parameter

This is not normal, as the model defined in PlatformInfo -> Generic is indeed Macmini8,1

OpenCore halted at that stage.

This was harder to solve; any idea why Default does not boot and freezes OpenCore ? My BIOS is rather modern UEFI but just that Secure Boot setting (e.g. like Windows) is disabled in BIOS.

Thank you for your help especially on #2.

config-sanitized.plist

Edited by MacKonsti

I am booting into Ubuntu LTS 20.04.3 via opencore 0.7.6 with the ext4_x64.efi and OpenLinuxBoot.efi drivers installed in order to bypass the Linux grub boot loader.

The Linux title that is assigned to the selection icon by the opencore boot loader is Ubuntu LTS 20.04.3 yet when I interrogate the kennel version from the command line with "uname -a" it tells me that Ubuntu LTS 20.04.2 is active.

Trying to then update Linux I get the message that I am already on the latest version.

Anybody able to explain this kernel version discrepancy between what opencore and "uname -a" reflects?

RX-6800XT amdgpu drivers are available for both Ubuntu 20.04.2 as well as 20.04.3, making it rather difficult to pick the correct one for installation.

Greetings Henties

17 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Perform an NVRAM reset

Thank you @5T33Z0 ! That worked, unknown why... I booted from USB with OC Debug and SecureBootModel set to Disabled, I was able to see Picker and selected Auxiliary Tool to clean NVRAM, and then let it reboot from my SSD that had SecureBootModel set to Default...

a) Anyone knows if Clover and OpenCore access the same NVRAM regions? Could it be some data stored by Clover that OC did not like, hence producing this error/halting operation?

b) Anyone can confirm the correct settings in running Catalina via OC 0.7.6? Do we only set UEFI->APFS->MinDate and MinVersion both to -1 to load Catalina?

Edited by MacKonsti
  • Like 1

Guest 5T33Z0

@MacKonsti About b:) welll both use the same physical NVRAM, since every system has only one. But if it's the same parameters that I don't know. You would have ask the devs about that.

But if you switch back and forth between Clover and OC and installed clover via the pkg installer (the one with the GUI) you should uninstall it's support files from the disk and just keep the Clover EFI Folder: https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide/tree/master/clover-conversion#cleaning-the-clover-junk-in-macos

I am using Bootloader Chooser to switch betweeen Clover and OC which is pretty cool since you can mess with one bootloader and if doesen't work you can recover from it just by booting from a differen OC oder Clover folder.

@MacKonsti

UEFI->APFS->MinDate and MinVersion both to -1 is valid for Catalina and for any other macOS since it disables APFS driver minimal version check.

But you can also set them to the values corresponding to each macOS version (this increases the security), e.g.:

• MinDate and MinVersion 0 is default (currently Big Sur), leave this value if you are using Big Sur or Monterey
  • MinDate=20200306 and MinVersion=1412101001000000 is for Catalina 10.15.4 (19E287)
  • MinDate=20190820 and MinVersion=945275007000000 is for Mojave 10.14.6 (18G103)
  • MinDate and MinVersion -1 is disabled (not recommended).
  • It's required to change MinDate and MinVersion in the APFS section for macOS versions older than Big Sur.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2

On 1/4/2022 at 10:45 PM, Riley Freeman said:

I booted the X79 with the debug version of 0.7.6. Attached is the efi folder and the boot log file. Hope this is enough.

x79-debug-efi.zip 5.65 MB · 2 downloads

Looks like EnableSafeModeSlide may be broken for your boot.efi. File a bug report attaching it I guess.

On 1/7/2022 at 11:14 AM, Henties said:

I am booting into Ubuntu LTS 20.04.3 via opencore 0.7.6 with the ext4_x64.efi and OpenLinuxBoot.efi drivers installed in order to bypass the Linux grub boot loader.

The Linux title that is assigned to the selection icon by the opencore boot loader is Ubuntu LTS 20.04.3 yet when I interrogate the kennel version from the command line with "uname -a" it tells me that Ubuntu LTS 20.04.2 is active.

Trying to then update Linux I get the message that I am already on the latest version.

Anybody able to explain this kernel version discrepancy between what opencore and "uname -a" reflects?

RX-6800XT amdgpu drivers are available for both Ubuntu 20.04.2 as well as 20.04.3, making it rather difficult to pick the correct one for installation.

Greetings Henties

File a bugreport and attach a boot log. But it might be just an overlook on Ubuntu side, e.g. they could have forgotten to update the version string.

• Like 1

@vit9696 Thank your for responding. I now checked what "About Ubuntu" is displaying and discovered that it returns Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS, which is in line with what opencore reflects in the title of the Ubuntu Icons. I therefore agree that the discrepancy is local to Ubuntu. A future Ubuntu should hopefully rectify this anomaly.

Greetings Henties

This is my first post. I follow this forum and learn much for many years

I dont know if this is the right thread.

I have a working multiboot system with Opencore. Today I update Linux and at the next restart I see another entry in Opencore Gui "NO NAME".

To show Linux I use the method with OpenLinuxBoot.efi in drivers. I have looked at my config.plist well but I don't find anything strange. How can I remove "NO NAME" from the Opencore GUI?

boot.png

in BlessOverride I have nothing. Thanks for your help

Edited by sgrunt12002

Some remarks about the explanations of the dB scale used in the Documentation.pdf, since it is inaccurate.

• In the world of audio, various kinds of dB exist. When we are talking about the sound of an airplane taking of, we are talking about dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level).
  • But when we are talking about dB in the digital realm, we are referring to dBFS (full scale). These 2 scales are weighted differently and cannot be compared directly, since one describes sound in the air, the other one describes sound represented by digital values.
  • The dBFS scale is defined by the bit depth of the system, whereas 1 bit represents a range of 6 dB. If your Audio hardware supports 24 bit, from the noise floor all the way up to the maximum output (0 dbFS), is 24 x 6 dB = 144 dBFS (that's the dynamic range). In other words, the system can go much much quieter than -60 dB. If you still hear sound or not is a different story.
  • Minus 60 dB is a nice level because at this stage, if you have a signal which dropped by 60 dB, this  means it's now only 1/1000th of the original level. Reverb manufactures use this threshold to define the time until a reverb tail has fallen by 60 dB, depending on the dimensions of the room and the  used materials. it's called reverb time 60 (short: RT 60).
  • Long story short: -60 dB doesn't mean that this defines the lower limit of the audio level.
Edited by 5T33Z0

14 minutes ago, MorenoAv said:

Hi guys,

I'm trying to update my OpenCore 0.7.8, and in OCValidate are 3 drivers errors, can anyone help me decipher what the error is?

Thanks

Captura de ecrã 2022-01-11, às 22.29.41.png

Captura de ecrã 2022-01-11, às 22.34.14.png

Comment is missig 🙂

1997804312_Schermata2022-01-11alle23_45_54.png.cbc2ebb25aeb8dffdb015bb605f0ebaa.png

Edited by antuneddu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @eSaF

Yes I am updating to 0.7.8, but for some reason that I don't understand my sample config.plist didn't have that Comment entry.

What matters now it's that is all solved and it's working correctly, thanks to your help...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MorenoAv said:

for some reason that I don't understand my sample config.plist didn't have that Comment entry.

That's weird, that entry was included with a OC update some time back by the Devs. Just for clarity download OC 0.7.8 from here - https://dortania.github.io/builds/?product=OpenCorePkg&viewall=true - or here - https://github.com/dortania/build-repo/releases - have a look at the Sample.plist and you'll see the included 'Comment' entry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

That's weird, that entry was included with a OC update some time back by the Devs. Just for clarity download OC 0.7.8 from here - https://dortania.github.io/builds/?product=OpenCorePkg&viewall=true - or here - https://github.com/dortania/build-repo/releases - have a look at the Sample.plist and you'll see the included 'Comment' entry.

Thanks I'll do that... 🤙

• Like 1

Older versions of ProperTree strip/remove  the "comment" variables when present in newer sample.plist files.

Upgrade to a later version of ProperTree to prevent this happening.

Greetings Henties

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Henties said:

Older versions of ProperTree strip/remove  the "comment" variables when present in newer sample.plist files.

Upgrade to a later version of ProperTree to prevent this happening.

Greetings Henties

Thanks for the explanation, our friend's original query had me scratching my head how the line was omitted when updating, now your post makes it clear.

• Like 2